Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have to see the photos again but I would not characterize the position of their bodies as being down an embankment, in a ditch, or down a grassy slope. From what I remember there is a grassy area beside the van but no hill or slope or ditch. I just looked and did not find a photo and dont have the time to look further right now.

I truly wish I could un-see it.
Absolutely heartbreaking

That makes sense--thank you!

I can see that, but the whole case has just made me so sad that I can't derive any satisfaction from their suicides (if that is in fact what happened). 5 deaths and 5 destroyed families for nothing. :(

Yeah, I’m the kind of guy who is left feeling unsatisfied when the bad guy gets shot to death in a movie.

I would have liked a trial, and enjoyed seeing these two in chains.

I’m sure the families feel the same way.

I don't live anywhere near there, but I am now getting confused, some say it can be pitch black, then some saying that it never gets dark?

It’s not far enough north to not get darkness in the summer but there’s far more hours of daylight than nighttime.

Watson Lake, Yukon is a bit further north but on July 14th twilight end/started - midnight to 3am was darkness.
Sunrise and sunset times in Watson Lake, YT - July 2019

Yeah, I’m the kind of guy who is left feeling unsatisfied when the bad guy gets shot to death in a movie.

I would have liked a trial, and enjoyed seeing these two in chains.

I’m sure the families feel the same way.
I was hoping they would be caught and tried, too. I realize now they still may have never told what their motive was, as it were, or been honest about it or been able to articulate it, but that was the ending I much would have preferred to this.

It sounds to me like they wound up in that spot within hours of leaving the car. If correct, it suggests that they died that night. There are a number of possible reasons, including exposure, and if suicide, there are a number of possible means. I’m happy to wait for the RCMP to make a statement, as they clearly will, next week.

In theory, play "air soft games." But if the gun is .177 caliber (as many are) and are the "sniper" variety (velocity is too high to be sold to minors or used in games in UK, Canada and US), then you can put metal or plastic BB's into them and shoot varmints. Or shoot at watermelons or tin cans or stop signs.

Low velocity air guns sold in Canada are supposed to have an orange barrel. The one Bryer is holding (last year's Christmas present) in the one photo does not appear to have an orange barrel. But, if it was purchased by an adult with a PAL (or off ebay or whatever) and given as a gift, then I am guessing that was not exactly legal to do. I don't know Canada weapons laws except that in Canada and UK, orange muzzles are required for "air soft play." There are air soft tournaments through North America and in UK (and probably elsewhere), and people wear face and eye protection, and use plastic ammo.

But, people also go hunting with them, simply swapping out the plastic ammo for metal ammo of the same size. This one:

https://www.amazon.com/Gamo-Rifle-S...un-20&linkId=42ec27258f5058f9c26e739d030ea904

for example is way way above the muzzle velocity allowable for kids to play with in Canada or US or UK. But, you don't need a gun license to buy one in the US. You can buy it on Amazon (even in California).

People mostly use higher caliber air guns for hunting (you can check it out on youtube or just google it).

We've been given a few airsoft guns (all .177, which I didn't know until today and all "designed" to work with plastic pellets, but we have only metal ammo for them - the kid who gave us the guns used metal ammo). We use them for target practice. One of ours is pretty powerful and I would not want to be shot in the ear with it point blank, frankly.

Bryer was supposedly very specific about which gun he wanted. If it's one of the 1000-1200 fps "sniper" or "shot gun" style air guns, it could be used to harm something, perhaps even to kill (people hunt with them). These types of "airsoft" guns are above the legal limit in terms of muzzle power to be used in airsoft games (or to be sold to kids). Canada requires a PAL to purchase one (not sure at what fps that requirement kicks in). But they are available at swap meets throughout the American West, can be disassembled pretty easily, and packed in a pretty ordinary duffle bag.

Bryer and his air gun here:

https://browse.startpage.com/do/show_picture.pl?l=english&rais=1&oiu=https://images.dailykos.com/images/700484/large/BryerSchmegelsky-Gun.jpeg?1564158393&sp=ea6df27905c9da852c760d47b86d16eb&t=default

I don't think it was the murder weapon, but I am not sure that a gun was used as the murder weapon in the first place (they also had a knife).

The kind that Bryer had falls into a distinctive but confusing category in Canada. It’s an airgun but unregulated simply due to the specifications it has. Airguns under a certain FPS (believe it’s 300 or 355fps) require a orange tip, partly because they are considered a replica and the orange tip signifies that. Most cheap kids BB guns from Walmart fit this category.

Then there is the airsoft such as Bryers. It would be over 355 FPS and not considered a replica. (The law regarding replicas is extremely specific and quite convoluted). The FPS of an airsoft such as Bryers might go as high as 500-700 FPS but the energy can not be over a set amount. I think it’s 5.7joules. In order for it to be imported it needs the orange tip but once here a person can legally remove it. This category of airgun also uses plastic BBs, it is much like the guns commonly used for paintball. The qualifier for this category was government set through studies, reports and even an eye test which created set parameters. The FPS and energy have to be within those parameters for it to be legally sold as “airsoft”. (The eye test involved a dead pigs eye and recorded speeds that would result in eyeball penetration of the projectile.). These airsoft air guns are unregulated as they are not considered capable of deathly harm but ironically there’s often regulation or by-laws about using them in public, which is one reason they tend to be used on private wooded land.
These airsoft airguns are somewhat different than pellet guns that can also be purchased in the under 500fps category. The pellet guns would be somewhat capable of killing small rodents or birds if not to far away. As far as I’ve ever known people do not use these pellet guns for playing tag type games in the woods (and if they do they are stupid).
The last category is the PAL required pellet guns over 500fps. Playing tag with one of these will result in a lot of pain and police making themselves quite acquainted with you.

Last edited:
Do you recall, and did I hear it correctly, that in the last RCMP press conference from Manitoba, the RCMP officer mentioned that they are investigating the deaths of the two suspects as though they were homicides? Was it when she was answering a question that she said something like that? Please don't quote this as gospel. I will take some time to try to find it and give it another listen. At the time, I was a bit taken aback by the comment and assumed I had misunderstood.

Full press conference for you.
I highly recommend skipping the French part as it includes a Terrible voice over as well.

Full RCMP update on manhunt for B.C. murder suspects

What I see in that video are two young men who know it's Game Over. They look defeated. Bryer looks slightly anxious, Kam looks a bit more focused and determined. He looks as if he did not find what he needed at the store, and knows that was his last chance to find whatever it was.

I agree that they don't look angry. But, if one of them did have a rage attack or two, that would leave that individual potentially depleted and pretty glum.

There's a reason, we just don't know what it is. Obviously, none of us would consider it a good reason, but extensive suicide is real.

What I see in the Co-Op video are the defendants in the last scene of the movie ‘A Few Good Men’. Bryer is the scared skinny kid Louden who looks up to Kam who is Harold.

I’ve always thought they were in the store to use the bathroom. They might have washed which is why Bryer is buttoning his coat. Kam looks dismissive when Bryer points out the camera, as if to say, ‘Yeah, I know it’s there. So what.’

I think he looks determined, but tired. They had been driving continuously for (3?) days across half the continent.

I was hoping they would be caught and tried, too. I realize now they still may have never told what their motive was, as it were, or been honest about it or been able to articulate it, but that was the ending I much would have preferred to this.
Ya, they were young, but maybe if they lived they might have the time to think about it and come up with something.
**all opinions subject to change**

Yeah, and just add the suit he bought/brought with him, and an armband...

ETA: IIRC there was a suit in the RAV4, bu it crossed my mind that suit could've been LD's, not BS's...
Yeah, and just add the suit he bought/brought with him, and an armband...

ETA: IIRC there was a suit in the RAV4, bu it crossed my mind that suit could've been LD's, not BS's...

What I see in the Co-Op video are the defendants in the last scene of the movie ‘A Few Good Men’. Bryer is the scared skinny kid Louden who looks up to Kam who is Harold.

I’ve always thought they were in the store to use the bathroom. They might have washed which is why Bryer is buttoning his coat. Kam looks dismissive when Bryer points out the camera, as if to say, ‘Yeah, I know it’s there. So what.’

I think he looks determined, but tired. They had been driving continuously for (3?) days across half the continent.
I was surprised to find out it was apparently a hardware store they were filmed in. (I read something saying they stopped at both a grocery store and a hardware store there.) I get the grocery store, but I wonder what they were after in the hardware store. KM looked to me like he was possibly looking for something specific. At the very least, I do agree that he appeared to have a determined look on his face. I remember it taking me aback when I first saw the footage--such a change from his expression in other pictures I'd seen.

I think I remember somewhere about him purchasing the suit for graduation. Maybe I’m wrong...
Yes, I believe his dad said he bought the suit with one of his paychecks. Others have mentioned he wore the suit for graduation, but then we never could find confirmation he graduated other than folks saying that. It's a bit unresolved, but he definitely apparently bought a suit a few weeks ago.

Yes, I think any of these 3 scenarios--suicide with separate weapons, suicide one-at-a-time with the same weapon, or "helping" the one kill himself and then committing suicide--are plausible.

What an utterly grim ending.

They could've been out of their heads from exhaustion and delirious too, but just creepy to think about, ugh...

If that was the case though, why would Kam throw his life away for something he didn't even do? Bryer didn't even drive and as far as we know the gun wasn't his.

Well that's the part that makes no sense. If Lucas and Chynna's deaths were planned it seems like they could have gotten away with it had they not killed Professor Dyck. They may have even been able to get away with Professor Dyck's death had they not stolen his car and burned their own near the crime scene. Either it was planned and they were idiots and sucked at planning, it was planned as an elaborate suicide mission the entire time (but why not kill more people then?), or it wasn't planned and they freaked out and may have even regretted the murders in the end (which is why they didn't take more people with them on their way out). JMO.

“Our parents told us to go on a long joy ride,” Kam nervously told the Cold Lake man who helped push the car out of the mud.

I believe working at Walmart for 5 weeks never mind 5 days is all the motivation needed to explain everything.

Families of victims often say a murder trial is utterly painful. It’s like having to experience the death of their loved one a second time all over again, maybe even worse with all the horrible graphic details.

If that’s how the families of the three victims feel, then the deaths of B&K served a purpose in a trial being avoided.

If you open your web browser under settings you should be able to click on "incognito" or private window. That opens up a tab that is not being tracked. Using this usually gets you around sites that want you to pay
Thank you! This has worked for me and opened up access to a whole new news world! (I am happy to make donations to news sites, but cannot afford to pay for subscriptions just to read one or two articles!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aishavn