UK - Anthony Parsons, 63, charity cyclist, found deceased, Argyll, Scotland, 29 Sept 2017 *Arrests*

It goes like this. I am of the opinion that he cycled for 37 mins then disaster for him struck.
The question is why did he only cycle for that amount of time 37 mins? If you you take the glen road you will come to the recently re built bridge in that time.but why he ended in the water is a mystery.
But i found another route. At the back of the hotel is a path used by the foresters. This follows the orchy on the opposite bank. If you google it it terminates after 37 mins of cycling. I think he was fed the wrong information by the foreign hotel worker.
So after 37 mins he hits a dead end attempts to cross the river somehow . He is on a hill and the bike runs away from him, resulting in him entering the water to his death. This area has red sand banks that is easily seen by google maps. I think he drifted. I have just returned from that area but the weather was atrocious and scuppered my plans for looking for him.
I cycled the potential route and it has now been lengthened and now leads to the re built bridge.
so i think this version has credence as i have a strong motive for him trying to cross the river.
I will have to go back up when the weather improves.

So if he was fed the wrong info that means he did not know the route very well, as this way takes him away off course towards Dalmally with no possibility of finding accommodation.

The Police said that he left the Bridge of Orchy Hotel heading south towards Tyndrum.

It doesn't specifically say he stayed on the A82 but I think it's implied. To get across the bridge at the back of the hotel, he'd need to head north for a short distance from the hotel before turning onto the small road which crosses the bridge - that doesn't seem to fit in with the witness description.
There's also an unconfirmed sighting of him on the A82 from a lorry driver about half a mile south of the hotel.

Indeed, if we take the witnesses information then he headed south towards Tyndrum on the A82. He could then have turned off onto the Glen Orchy road, but if he knew the route as has been strongly suggested he would not have done so.

Indeed, if we take the witnesses information then he headed south towards Tyndrum on the A82. He could then have turned off onto the Glen Orchy road, but if he knew the route as has been strongly suggested he would not have done so.

Yes, the Glen Orcy road is a possibility. The junction is about half a mile south of the hotel so even the unconfirmed lorry driver sighting on the A82 "about half a mile south of the hotel" doesn't rule that out.

Yes, the Glen Orcy road is a possibility. The junction is about half a mile south of the hotel so even the unconfirmed lorry driver sighting on the A82 "about half a mile south of the hotel" doesn't rule that out.

I did wonder if he had taken the Glen Orchy road initially and have been down the road several times since his disappearance. I just find it unlikely that he would have gone down the B8074. He knew the area and the route, so what would have been his reason for going that way, if he did indeed go that way?

I did wonder if he had taken the Glen Orchy road initially and have been down the road several times since his disappearance. I just find it unlikely that he would have gone down the B8074. He knew the area and the route, so what would have been his reason for going that way, if he did indeed go that way?

i re in acted Tony's route on Friday. I had hellish weather and when i reached the bridge of 0rchy i was very tired and i arrived at 5 pm. Arriving at 10:30 would have altered things dramatically I spoke to the staff(who are all foreign) , i didn't say why i was there but the clients were asking them basic scottish questions that they didn't know the correct answers-that's why i think they may have given him the wrong directions. If the purported sighting on the main road is true then he had to go down the glen orchy road arriving at the bridge after 37 minutes. both of my routes take me to the same place.

So if he was fed the wrong info that means he did not know the route very well, as this way takes him away off course towards Dalmally with no possibility of finding accommodation.
Dalmally could well have been his alternative destination ,As there are hotels there and certainly a safer route. With his physical and mental state a safer road would had been a luxury i could concur with this as his safety now was paramount. something made him change his mind not to proceed with the main road. I think the main road scared him.

Dalmally could well have been his alternative destination ,As there are hotels there and certainly a safer route. With his physical and mental state a safer road would had been a luxury i could concur with this as his safety now was paramount. something made him change his mind not to proceed with the main road. I think the main road scared him.

The turnoff for Dalmally is only half a mile from the Bridge of Orchy Hotel, so he would have made the decision at that junction if he was going to Dalmally looking for a hotel. Surely half a mile back to Bridge of Orchy hotel would be better than 12 miles to Dalmally? Even if he had asked and found there were no rooms available when he was at the BoO hotel, there's several other B+Bs and a bunkhouse nearby.

Also, not forgetting that sunset is before 7pm on the 29th September. It hasn't just got dark when he left the hotel, he has been riding on the A82 in the dark for at least 4 hours by this point. There would have been other opportunities to stop or detour before (or at) BoO.

12 miles to Dalmally is a big detour to try and get accommodation, which wasn't guaranteed.

The main road might well have scared him, however, he has been on it since he started out, most of the way in darkness.

Friends and family stated that he knew the route and had planned it with a friend.

The turnoff for Dalmally is only half a mile from the Bridge of Orchy Hotel, so he would have made the decision at that junction if he was going to Dalmally looking for a hotel. Surely half a mile back to Bridge of Orchy hotel would be better than 12 miles to Dalmally? Even if he had asked and found there were no room
12 miles to Dalmally is a big detour to try and get accommodation, which wasn't guaranteed.

The main road might well have scared him, however, he has been on it since he started out, most of the way in darkness.

Friends and family stated that he knew the route and had planned it with a friend.
He must have been exhausted and his plan may have had to alter because of this. He wasn't thinking straight. Dalmally i agree is further away and he may have been looking for a shelter as opposed to accommodation . If he went the WHW he must he tried the bunkhouse at the station, but was it open at that time? if it was then his visit would be on record. I am in no doubt he is in the river. He either entered it at the ford near Auch or at the bridge down the orchy they are the 2 areas of danger.

The turnoff for Dalmally is only half a mile from the Bridge of Orchy Hotel, so he would have made the decision at that junction if he was going to Dalmally looking for a hotel. Surely half a mile back to Bridge of Orchy hotel would be better than 12 miles to Dalmally? Even if he had asked and found there were no room

He must have been exhausted and his plan may have had to alter because of this. He wasn't thinking straight. Dalmally i agree is further away and he may have been looking for a shelter as opposed to accommodation . If he went the WHW he must he tried the bunkhouse at the station, but was it open at that time? if it was then his visit would be on record. I am in no doubt he is in the river. He either entered it at the ford near Auch or at the bridge down the orchy they are the 2 areas of danger.

I still don't understand why his son and the rest of his family aren't putting the word out more online to help get him found. Another 5 weeks and it will be 2 years since he went missing. I think the only comfort his poor family can take away is knowing that he has died in a beautiful area of the country and one which he loved too. Please let 2019 be the year you are found Tony.

I was in the bridge of orchy area at the weekend my intentions were to drone areas of interest around the river orchy. Again the weather let me down and the river was too high. so i decided to just suss out the area. The police have an unconfirmed sighting of Tony heading south down the A 82 assuming this is true and didn't arrive in Tyndrum ,so he then must have taken the glen orchy road. i have cycled up and down that road looking for dangers especially for cyclists. I can say that i have found only one area of danger. It is not far from the main road at the start. On the first bend there is a bridge that spans the allt kinglass river. The parapet on this wall is very low. The road is single track and if a car approached at the same time then panic would set in. There is a kerbed area at both sides but is narrow. If this scenario did happen then and he did go onto the path then hitting the wall is likely. The bike would have went with him The water under this bridge flows fast and would sweep him and his bike away the fall could kill him easily. So a driver may be implicated. The driver may not even notice that he fell over the bridge. The driver could have been intoxicated and was never going to go to the police. Most of the drivers are visitors and may not even be aware that someone is missing.

The bridge at the entrance to Glen Orchy road is one area of interest. I stopped there recently and had a look around. As you have mentioned, the bridge parapet is very low and it would have been easy for him to go right over the side along with his bike. The water was relatively shallow and clear when I was passing.

The bridge at the entrance to Glen Orchy road is one area of interest. I stopped there recently and had a look around. As you have mentioned, the bridge parapet is very low and it would have been easy for him to go right over the side along with his bike. The water was relatively shallow and clear when I was passing.
I'm glad you agree Taskforce88 it will all depend on the weather, whether the river is high or not for him to be swept away. Certainly on the occasions i was there the river was rough...you must take into consideration that he never died in the fall. that would be my assumption as the struggle getting out of the water would be the latter danger. him being concussed and hurt. the flow of the water then would sweep him away.

I still don't understand why his son and the rest of his family aren't putting the word out more online to help get him found. Another 5 weeks and it will be 2 years since he went missing. I think the only comfort his poor family can take away is knowing that he has died in a beautiful area of the country and one which he loved too. Please let 2019 be the year you are found Tony.

The two year anniversary of his disappearance has come and gone without any mention in the news.

The two year anniversary of his disappearance has come and gone without any mention in the news.

That has really upset me. It's 2 years, not 20 years like in other cases that are still ongoing and getting media attention. I wonder how the people who knew him are coping or have they just given up all hope? At least Tony has us. I didn't know him but he captured my heart and I will never forget him.

I get the impression the police have washed their hands of this case. But why? Do they know something they are not telling us?

There was an article in the Falkirk Herald published on the second anniversary of his disappearance:

Renewed bid to find 65-year-old who disappeared two years ago

Chief Inspector Drew Sinclair, Clackmannanshire area commander, said: “Our thoughts very much remain with Tony’s family, who have had to endure two years of not knowing where he is or what may have happened to him.

“We are determined to provide them with answers and we want to ensure people remain aware that he is missing in case they may have information which could help.

“Neither Tony nor his bicycle have been seen since leaving Bridge of Orchy two years ago.

“I would urge anyone who believes they may have information or perhaps may have seen a bicycle or cycling equipment which looked out of place to come forward.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineSteph
Back