CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't feel that his story is crazy or absurd.

I consider RT as a victim at this point and I will not insult him with that kind of language.

That doesn't mean I don't have some doubts about his story, I just feel that at this point I will not denigrate him. JMO

We have 3 options, and they should all be on the table.

The super lucky abductor.

Barb somehow managed to disappear without a trace, despite extensive searches and a small radius.

She was never there.

The last one makes the most sense to me.

With all sincere respect, I'm not a qualified expert in whether a person is lying or not.
Any thoughts I may have one way or the other on that would be based on my personal reasoning.
I have never met RT.
Jmo
Chi
Eta I've known my share of liars. And brutally truthful ppl too.

With all sincere respect, I'm not a qualified expert in whether a person is lying or not.
Any thoughts I may have one way or the other on that would be based on my personal reasoning.
I have never met RT.
Jmo
Chi

And that’s my focus, the facts as we know them.

I could throw out every word he has said, and I’d still be at the same spot.

Abductions like this are rare; rarer still with the set of facts.

The odds of her disappearing on what was effectively “a walk,” doesn’t work for me.

So what are we left with?

We certainly seem to be polarized on our POV on this case. I’m still Mary in the middle; I need to hear more from LE.

I do, however, appreciate the compassionate approach many are taking. I too tend to believe in the positive, unless facts force me to do otherwise.
BBM

Agreed.

Most posters here at WS have given RT the benefit of the doubt.
Over and over.

Despite his words to msm, which are allowed to be discussed here.

Several pages back RT complained that LE were 'messing up' or 'ruining' the 'crime scene'.
I'm sorry, what ?

Until those words came from him-- I was under the assumption that : a) She became lost while trying to find her way back to the RV on a straight path and less than 1/2 mile from the fifth wheel.
b) Someone took her. Planned or otherwise.

So, what "crime scene" is he referring to, exactly ?

I think he could have expressed his abduction theory without implying that “bikini and beer” is what made her a target. I gave him the benefit of the doubt about this initially, but it does seem weird the more I think about it. It’s a little too close to the “mini skirt led to rape” idea. JMO
Yes I find it weird that he would say that.

I also find it weird that a women of BT's age would dress that way and carry a beer like that.

But the VI said that's normal for her. So what's the problem with her husband reporting what appears to be the truth? JMO

I think he could have expressed his abduction theory without implying that “bikini and beer” is what made her a target. I gave him the benefit of the doubt about this initially, but it does seem weird the more I think about it. It’s a little too close to the “mini skirt led to rape” idea. JMO
agree. the bikini, beer, abduction thing is a liiiiiittle too victim blame-y on RT's part. JMO MOO IMHO

His bikini and beer comment is eye roll worthy, but I have heard those kinds of comments from people before - victim blaming. Some people say weird insensitive things, but that doesn't mean he harmed his wife.

Have to admit - still hoping he didn't harm her. What can I say... I'm a romantic fool.

I don't believe it was said with the intention for you to buy it.
He still holds out hope, and because to him she is precious he believes in a kidnapping, more so since that scenario leaves a possibillity for her still being alive unlike in the lost in the desert scenario. IMO
I think to believe his statement means that you must believe love with no action. Because action would be :
Distributing flyers
Setting up reward
Begging for her release from the abductors
Flyers would be all over Vegas
Distributing a press release daily (heck lawyers could even do that)
Creating a Facebook page for find barb

No, I was suggesting that to RT she is the equivalent of a pile of money, attractive kidnapping to Vegas material to a man who would come across her on that road.

The fact that he says he believes this happened, on camera, tells me to him that scenario is realistic on the very moment he is telling it.
Hence he did not harm his wife or else it would not be realistic to him either.

The way he said: "If someone has her, which I am sure someone has...etc"
That wasn't acting. I am pretty sure of that.

I also am glad to have different opinions. It keeps us thinking!

And that’s my focus, the facts as we know them.

I could throw out every word he has said, and I’d still be at the same spot.

Abductions like this are rare; rarer still with the set of facts.

The odds of her disappearing on what was effectively “a walk,” doesn’t work for me.

So what are we left with?
I can't use statistics to judge this man. I need more than that.

I need more than his story doesn't sound "right" or he failed the lie detector test that virtually no one considers to be reliable.

Sorry, but I need more. JMO

Indeed.

The fact that he thinks this is a reasonable story to pitch, speaks to his thought process.

I find it incredibly telling.

And disturbing.

JMO.

There is no fact here.

You think he is pitching a story, that doesn't make it a fact.
You speak about his thought process, while you are the one who just posted that there is no way to tell what RT thinks.

To me RT is just saying what he believes (hopes) happened.

This is not meant to sound argumentative, I find it interesting if we disagree, since if everyone is on the same page there would be no discussion.

Barb somehow managed to disappear without a trace, despite extensive searches and a small radius.

She was never there.

Ha. My main man William of Occam agrees with you completely.
(Turns out, my man Will's a closet MassGuy fan. Who knew?) Go figure.

Anyway, he pointed out in no uncertain terms that these 3 options on the table aren't all equally probable.

William said that the likeliest explanation for there being no evidence of BT having been found in that location is that she never was in fact in that location.

He then went on to say a bunch of other stuff that I can't repeat.

JMO.

She was never there.

Any of these 3 options is possible. Of course, what we’re discussing is probability.

Personally, I think abduction is extremely unlikely.

I do think it is possible to disappear without a trace despite the extensive searches. It has happened.

She was never there is also a viable option which unfortunately points directly at RT.

I’m still hoping she’s out in the desert lost and that her remains will be found, as sad as that is.

But based on experience with other cases, the probability that she was never there is growing as time goes by. It’s been a month. As I mentioned yesterday, being the last to see her and having no ongoing visible presence in trying to find her is more telling to me than any of his words we are parsing.

I have to get up super early tmmw, so last thought for now.
Why isn't there an official facebook for Barbara that RT is helping with?
My network is helping with her flyers. For free.
Has RT been doing flyers etc for his lost wife?
I'd hope so.
Chi

Any of these 3 options is possible. Of course, what we’re discussing is probability.

Personally, I think abduction is extremely unlikely.

I do think it is possible to disappear without a trace despite the extensive searches. It has happened.

She was never there is also a viable option which unfortunately points directly at RT.

I’m still hoping she’s out in the desert lost and that her remains will be found, as sad as that is.

But based on experience with other cases, the probability that she was never there is growing as time goes by. It’s been a month. As I mentioned yesterday, being the last to see her and having no ongoing visible presence in trying to find her is more telling to me than any of his words we are parsing.
What exactly does an ongoing "visible" presence mean?

Does it mean media attention? Apparently members here have been beating the drums and I don't think it's made a difference with media coverage.

Or are you talking about something else? JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member