Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Count me out too. I’d be far more interested in the other side of the story but I think B’s family knows better than to engage in a media feud with AS. It merely creates a needless sideshow by giving him more attention than he deserves and takes away from the focus, which should be on the three victims and their families. JMO
Count me out as well. Watching Schmelgesky father in his first two interviews on MSM news, made me think the reports and records I had already sleuthed about the family (and not allowed per rules of Websleuths) means I didn't, and don't need to read about a train wreck again.

Every day on the news I hear, "man stabbed to death", "woman shot to death", "teen gunned down in daylight shooting", "woman beaten to death with bat", etc etc etc.

I guess in all those cases the police said f&%k it to the victim's dignity? Why all of a sudden is this one person's dignity so exceptionally important to protect while the other 99.9% of the murder victims in society are not worthy of being afforded that same "dignity"?

Not buyin' it! There's something else happening here and I can't quite put my finger on it.

Could it be because these headlines happened in front of eye witnesses?

I myself would think that she may not be such a great influence herself though considering Bryer apparently wasn't even living with her. Must be a reason for that. In my opinion, a good mother would do what she can to help her child. Not ditch them with their own mother(assuming it is her mother he was living with).

If by chance the mother had a restraining order preventing AS from contacting her because the prior criminal harassment charges involved threats he made to her life, yet B wanted a relationship with his father in spite of that while encouraging his son to play killing games, could be a valid reason for her to step aside IMO. She didn’t abandon B, he lived with his grandmother.

I know I was one of the height-truthers who got fixated on Kam's height (and I apologize for that if it got annoying--estimating heights is a weird hobby of mine), but if Kam himself was also unusually tall, that might have been another thing that they had in common and bonded over. They would have felt less awkward and gangly together than solo.

Are we called truthers now? I thought it odd that both guys had same height, weight, and the hair/eye descriptions weren't the same as their pics. However tall Schmegelsky was 6'4" plus he was growing? With Dark brown hair and hazel or lighter eyes. Kam had sandy hair, beard, mustache, eyes (brown, hazel?) and was several inches shorter than Schmelgesky.

Just as possible that the mother could see the seeds the father was sowing in his son, even with the slight access he had, and felt it necessary to try and limit the flow of propaganda from father to son as much as was possible, considering her circumstances. And who can say she was wrong, as things turned out, eh?..

It could be argued that the mother was on the money , all along.

A neighbour who was interviewed said this about Bryers childhood.

Bryer never did anything to cause me alarm. He was a little shy and was an oddball kid at 11, 12, 13. He was here a lot, he had a ****** [imagine a pile of feces] home life,

Alan Schmegelsky was prevented from seeing his kid around that time wasn’t he? So it stands to reason that the mother was sole caregiver. There is nothing that makes it okay to destroy your children. After at least three years of having a terrible home life it’s no wonder Bryer started making comments that seemed odd, he was probably feeling pretty angry and depressed. No wonder it seems he didn’t show his mother respect and had outbursts towards her. As a parent you can demand respect but realistically you won’t get it if you haven’t shown it.

<modsnip>

Editing to add link to Lisa Lucas interview.
Port Alberni searches for answers as manhunt for murder suspects continues

Last edited by a moderator:
What you're describing is manslaughter.

A homicide committed without intent, although there may have been an intention to cause harm. There are two broad categories of manslaughter:

Unlawful act — when a person commits a crime that unintentionally results in the death of another person. For example, someone who fires their gun carelessly in public and unintentionally kills a bystander.

Criminal negligence — when the homicide was the result of an act or a failure to act that showed wanton or reckless disregard for the lives of others.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/what...-2nd-degree-murder-and-manslaughter-1.5068520

I don’t follow. They still had intent to kill which fits second. I’m just saying LD’s COD could be a heart attack from the altercation -before they i.e. pointed an Airsoft/shot/stabbed/burned/drove over him/stole his car.

2nd-degree murder
Definition: Generally, a deliberate killing that occurs without planning and does not fall under any of the categories of first degree murder.
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5068520

The Ritalin story (which wasn't a party, it was a camping trip) is detailed in the article that was posted a page or two back. I don't think that was the same incident as what you're talking about though.

I think other friends and family reported they were childhood friends too. I haven't heard any contradictions of that claim so I'm going to assume it's true unless indicated otherwise.

I think I missed the whole Ritalin discussion so apologies if I'm re-opening a can of worms!

I didn't think much of the whole Ritalin thing but apparently "Ritalin is a type of amphetamine drug and is related to the highly addictive crystal meth. When it's crushed, snorted, or injected, the amphetamine chemicals rush through the body. This creates a sensation much different than when used properly. When someone abuses Ritalin, it can cause a psychological or physical dependence."

So if the Ritalin snorting was a habit, was Kam doing it as well? I imagine Bryer was giving him some too maybe? Then working graveyard shifts, I have to wonder if the guys were even sleeping if at all. Maybe they spiraled into a psychosis if abusing Ritalin and not getting much sleep working nights. I know when I don't get proper sleep my brain doesn't compute right at all!

Ritalin (Methylphenidate) and the Abuse/Addiction Risks

Every day on the news I hear, "man stabbed to death", "woman shot to death", "teen gunned down in daylight shooting", "woman beaten to death with bat", etc etc etc.

I guess in all those cases the police said f&%k it to the victim's dignity? Why all of a sudden is this one person's dignity so exceptionally important to protect while the other 99.9% of the murder victims in society are not worthy of being afforded that same "dignity"?

Not buyin' it! There's something else happening here and I can't quite put my finger on it.

I wonder if the difference is RCMP compared to local LE agencies? Different policies?

Are we called truthers now? I thought it odd that both guys had same height, weight, and the hair/eye descriptions weren't the same as their pics. However tall Schmegelsky was 6'4" plus he was growing? With Dark brown hair and hazel or lighter eyes. Kam had sandy hair, beard, mustache, eyes (brown, hazel?) and was several inches shorter than Schmelgesky.
LOL I don't know! I remember someone complaining about all the height talk earlier, so I'm afraid to mention it now. But yes I agree the initial descriptions were badly off. (In fact, the earliest article I could find misidentified each of them as the other.)

I don't remember who, but someone several threads back suggested that perhaps Kam was 6'4" and Bryer was even taller, and I can actually believe that, especially how tall he was in the door in the surveillance footage. My main objection wasn't to Kam being tall--he never looked short to me--it was just to them being described as the same height since he seemed noticeably shorter than Bryer.

As for eye color, some of us chatted about this earlier today. In younger pics of Bryer, he looks blue-eyed, though not so much now. I'm not sure how I would describe his eye color in more recent pictures.

I had thought Kam was hazel or green-eyed, but his graduation pic (If you ‘inadvertently’ helped two suspected killers escape, please come forward, RCMP urge) and another close-up picture of him his father provided to a newspaper (https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...c-teens-subject-of-national-manhunt-1.5222515) reveal blue eyes for him, too.

An inquest won’t be held because the autopsy has been completed IMO. Your reference refers to a death to which the police aren’t currently investigating and an autopsy is by the request of the family. Information is never disclosed during a criminal investigation. The coroners office’s investigation into cause and manner of death is supported by the police investigation. The autopsy then becomes evidence which supports the police file.

I guess we will find out soon enough.

Back to the theory that KM and BS may have been in the wrong place at the wrong time....

The fact that the RAV 4 was set on fire still doesn't sit well w me... no one knew they were there... why set your car on fire basically saying here we are only to go hide in the woods that have no exit?

What if there WAS a third person. And this person was resp for the murders . Kam and Bryer came across the first murders being committed and were used and framed from that point?

Things just don’t add up so much that something is off, maybe it is something along that line?

She didn’t abandon B, he lived with his grandmother.
I believe a co-worker of hers said she was afraid Bryer would kill her or threatened to do so. That aside when 2 parents divorce and it's ugly and the mom fights hard to keep custody of their son - I would expect that mom to raise that child and not cast him off to a third party. If her interest was to get back at the dad - yet go through a boyfriend or few with no consideration of her child, while keeping the child's birth father from him - that creates a whole 'cesspool of contamination' in the world of that child that most of us can't begin to rationalize. Put dad aside, clearly the mom either couldn't handle her own child even though she apparently is a social worker of some capacity - or she didn't care.

This is not quite how it works.
This is news so of public interest.
Not a family choice.

So far it was stated the family has requested not to release the COD. Now that the investigation is wrapping up then the Coroner in cooperation with the RCMP can release the information if they feel it is in the public’s best interest. The family may no longer have the privacy they asked for.

ETA. Proofread

Last edited:
An inquest won’t be held because the autopsy has been completed IMO. Your reference refers to a death to which the police aren’t currently investigating and an autopsy is by the request of the family. Information is never disclosed during a criminal investigation. The coroners office’s investigation into cause and manner of death is supported by the police investigation. The autopsy then becomes evidence which supports the police file.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by an inquest won't be held because the autopsy has been done? Inquests are held sometimes years after someone's death. They are usually held to determine the circumstances and facts of the death and if anything can be done to prevent future deaths. They are held when someone dies in custody, during pursuit by LE, and I recall one in recent years for a young child that died in foster care, and I'm sure there are numerous other reasons, these are just the one's that come to mind.

I'm not sure that this case will warrant an inquest but I don't think the fact that the autopsy is done is an indication of that. JMO

RCMP the current 'custodians' of Bryer - his mother and grandmother. The RCMP call them because they have the legal guardianship. That is why the RCMP likely didn't contact Alan Schmegelsky. HOWEVER, what happens? Neither the ex wife or the grandmother have the courtesy to let Bryer's dad know his son is missing - he learns in a newspaper. If the media knew how to track his dad down, sure as hell the ex wife or grandmother did too.

To me that scenario, which I believe is pretty darn accurate, speaks volumes about what type of person(s) they, as in ex-wife, were. Being cruel is a terrible thing.

Last edited:
I think I missed the whole Ritalin discussion so apologies if I'm re-opening a can of worms!

I didn't think much of the whole Ritalin thing but apparently "Ritalin is a type of amphetamine drug and is related to the highly addictive crystal meth. When it's crushed, snorted, or injected, the amphetamine chemicals rush through the body. This creates a sensation much different than when used properly. When someone abuses Ritalin, it can cause a psychological or physical dependence."

So if the Ritalin snorting was a habit, was Kam doing it as well? I imagine Bryer was giving him some too maybe? Then working graveyard shifts, I have to wonder if the guys were even sleeping if at all. Maybe they spiraled into a psychosis if abusing Ritalin and not getting much sleep working nights. I know when I don't get proper sleep my brain doesn't compute right at all!

Ritalin (Methylphenidate) and the Abuse/Addiction Risks

Yes I've speculated on this as well. I even said a while ago that my husband was prescribed Adderall in his 20s (not exactly the same as Ritalin but similar effects) and had to stop taking it because he started having violent feelings and thoughts out of nowhere.

I feel like we could probably bet money on that drugs were involved. It just seems to make sense. First of all they usually are in these types of cases. Substance use can mean the difference between violent thoughts and violent acts, holding your tongue or starting something, joking about doing something really stupid like armed robbery and actually going and doing it, etc. I think when Bryer's friend told him "don't go out and kill somebody," and he said "I would never do that," he actually did mean it. Up until that point he was all talk when it came to violence. But drugs could be the missing piece that lowered their inhibitions just enough to push them over the edge into doing something terrible.

Also, two troubled oddball teenagers with a known history of substance use, out on their own for the first time, in the middle of nowhere where cops are unlikely to be around...are we really going to think that they stayed sober? Kam single-handedly driving halfway across the continent in three days...snorting Ritalin would certainly help with that. Their totally baffling and nonsensical decisions too. To paraphrase one of those "Meth: Not Even Once" ads, "Burning your car next to a murder scene to cover up the murder isn't normal...but on amphetamines it is." I'd bet El Chapo's entire fortune that they weren't sober.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member