Shukri abdi death. June 2019

hannah246

Reaction score
Shukri Abdi was a 12 year old refugee who drowned in River irwell, Manchester in June 2019. There is a lot of suspicious surrounding her death. She did not know how to swim and was wearing a full islamic clothing at the time. A fisherman witnessed 4 students 2 boys and 2 girls with shukri dragging her by the neck however he was dismissed by the police as "drunk" even though his wife said she would never allow her husband to fish while drunk. Her body was covered with bruises and bite marks on her hands and neck. However the manchester police still dismissed all these claims and deemed the case as "a tragedy" for more information read this Family of 'bullied' girl, 12, who drowned 'say her death was not an accident'

What are the police doing to solve this case?

How much press does this get in UK? Is it just a one time notice? How can we help here?

Shukri Abdi was a 12 year old refugee who drowned in River irwell, Manchester in June 2019. There is a lot of suspicious surrounding her death. She did not know how to swim and was wearing a full islamic clothing at the time. A fisherman witnessed 4 students 2 boys and 2 girls with shukri dragging her by the neck however he was dismissed by the police as "drunk" even though his wife said she would never allow her husband to fish while drunk. Her body was covered with bruises and bite marks on her hands and neck. However the manchester police still dismissed all these claims and deemed the case as "a tragedy" for more information read this Family of 'bullied' girl, 12, who drowned 'say her death was not an accident'

BBM

Do you have links to MSM to support the claims about the fisherman witness and the police who claimed he was drunk, and about the bitemarks?

What are the police doing to solve this case?

How much press does this get in UK? Is it just a one time notice? How can we help here?
It got a lot of attention on social media. Especially on twitter with protest around the country which caught the attention from big news outlets like bbc, the guardian, etc enough for them to make an article contradicting Manchester police theory that it was an "accident" and now the UK police watchdog will do their own independent investigation on the case and now a probe has been filed in how the situation was handled and how Manchester police failed to do a proper investigation

BBM

Do you have links to MSM to support the claims about the fisherman witness and the police who claimed he was drunk, and about the bitemarks?
No. I don't know where that statement originally came from. I personally don't think is rumours it most likely came from the wife on Facebook

No. I don't know where that statement originally came from. I personally don't think is rumours it most likely came from the wife on Facebook

Hannah, perhaps you should look up the rules of WS about admissible sources and social media.

Rules - Social Media - Facebook, Twitter, etc.

You can't refer to a rumour on FB or twitter and present it as a reliable source.

You write
It got a lot of attention on social media. Especially on twitter with protest around the country which caught the attention from big news outlets like bbc, the guardian, etc enough for them to make an article contradicting Manchester police theory that it was an "accident" and now the UK police watchdog will do their own independent investigation on the case and now a probe has been filed in how the situation was handled and how Manchester police failed to do a proper investigation

BBM

Do you have a source for this? I have searched for articles from the BBC and The Guardian and nowhere I find them contradicting the findings of the police.
For instance, The Guardian writes that

Members of Shukri’s family claim she was badly bullied at the school
Shukri Abdi's family brand school inquiry into bullying a whitewash

but that is no contradiction per se, only a report of what the family is claiming.

The BBC writes:

A complaint against Greater Manchester Police alleges officers ended investigations too early and treated relatives differently because of their ethnic background.
Drowning case probed by police watchdog

This is a factual report of what the complaint is about, and not a contradiction by the BBC of the police findings.

i didnt me
Hannah, perhaps you should look up the rules of WS about admissible sources and social media.

Rules - Social Media - Facebook, Twitter, etc.

You can't refer to a rumour on FB or twitter and present it as a reliable source.

You write

BBM

Do you have a source for this? I have searched for articles from the BBC and The Guardian and nowhere I find them contradicting the findings of the police.
For instance, The Guardian writes that

Shukri Abdi's family brand school inquiry into bullying a whitewash

but that is no contradiction per se, only a report of what the family is claiming.

The BBC writes:

Drowning case probed by police watchdog

This is a factual report of what the complaint is about, and not a contradiction by the BBC of the police findings.
i did not mean to say the statememt about the fisherman is reliable i just gathered information on what i know so far.. and with the whole bullying which the parents did confirm that and also a student from the same school as Shukri who did confirm she was being bullied by four students and she also stated on her socials that the same 4 students was with shukri at the time of her death. Again my mistake with the condraction manchester police dismissed the entire case as "accident" without looking into the bullying allegation

i didnt me

i did not mean to say the statememt about the fisherman is reliable i just gathered information on what i know so far.. and with the whole bullying which the parents did confirm that and also a student from the same school as Shukri who did confirm she was being bullied by four students and she also stated on her socials that the same 4 students was with shukri at the time of her death. Again my mistake with the condraction manchester police dismissed the entire case as "accident" without looking into the bullying allegation

@hannah246 on Websleuths, we are very serious about linking media articles and LE reports. This protects the website (and owner) legally, and ensures that we are working with information and not rumors.

Warning after girl, 12, drowns in river

The June 28 report of Ms. Abdi's death.

Posts that include statements that are not supported by links are often deleted by a Moderator.

If you are local to the case with specific knowledge, consider becoming a Verified Insider:

Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters

JMHO YMMV LRR

@hannah246 on Websleuths, we are very serious about linking media articles and LE reports. This protects the website (and owner) legally, and ensures that we are working with information and not rumors.

Warning after girl, 12, drowns in river

The June 28 report of Ms. Abdi's death.

Posts that include statements that are not supported by links are often deleted by a Moderator.

If you are local to the case with specific knowledge, consider becoming a Verified Insider:

Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters

JMHO YMMV LRR
ok thanks i will and yes i am local to the case i live in the area but i dont know shukri personally i just have inside information from people who knew shukri abdi personally or went to the same school who came forward with information can i still be eligible to apply for this "verified insider"?

Greater Manchester Police investigation into Shukri Abdi's death to be investigated by IOPC

By Maxine Wolstenholme @maxinewolstenh1 News Editor
(2)

14 comments
AN investigation is to be held into the way the police handled the death of a 12-year-old girl who drowned in the River Irwell.

Police watchdog, the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) will look at whether officers treated Shukri Abdi’s family less favourably because of their ethnic background, as part of their investigation announced today.

Shukri Yahya Abdi was reported missing by her mother just after 7.30pm on 27 June. A short time later, Greater Manchester Police (GMP) received a separate report that a girl had gone into the River Irwell and had not resurfaced. Underwater search teams later recovered Shukri’s body from the river in Bury.

In July the force referred a complaint they had received about their actions, alleging that officers failed to conduct an effective investigation and prematurely concluded that the death of Shukri Abdi was not suspicious.

A spokesman for the IOPC said: "We carefully assessed this complaint and made the decision that it required an independent investigation. Part of the complaint investigation will look at whether officers treated Shukri Abdi’s family less favourably because of their ethnic background.

A separate GMP investigation into the death of Shukri Abdi continues.

IOPC regional director Amanda Rowe said: “We have met with Shukri Abdi’s family to offer our condolences and discuss this investigation, and we will provide them with regular updates as our work progresses. The death of a child is so very difficult to comprehend, and I know this is felt across the local community and beyond. I am aware that the circumstances of Shukri’s death is a concern to many, not least because there are many unanswered questions about how she came to be in the River Irwell that day. That is a matter for Greater Manchester Police and the coroner.

“Our role is to analyse what the police did and why. Our independent investigation is at a very early stage. We treat complaints of this nature with the upmost seriousness, and I know GMP share the view that the IOPC has a responsibility to examine the actions of the force after Shukri was reported missing – not least for public confidence."
Watchdog to look into whether girl's ethnicity affected police investigation into her death

Shukri Abdi inquest: Four children interviewed by police
By
5Pillars
-

Shukri Abdi

An inquest into the death of Bury schoolgirl Shukri Abdi has heard that four children who were with her when she died have all been interviewed by police.

Contrary to previous media reports, police also told Heywood Coroner’s Court this week that the investigation into her death is still ongoing.

The hearing was attended by Shukri’s mother Zamzam Ture, as well as other family members and friends. They believe Shukri’s death is suspicious because of alleged bullying at her school as well as the fact that she would never venture miles from her home and that she could not swim.

Senior Coroner for Greater Manchester North, Joanne Kearsley said at the inquest: “There has been widespread reporting of potential bullying accusations. There is currently an ongoing review by the school and the outcome of their investigation will be made available to the police.”

The inquest heard that, on the afternoon of June 27, Shukri left school with four other children, all of whom have since been interviewed by police.

“They all went down to the water to play that evening after school”, said Det Insp Naismith. “Unfortunately, Shukri got into difficulty, went into the deep end of the water, and unfortunately she has drowned.

“The investigation is still ongoing and we are talking to a number of people but at this stage, there is nothing to suggest there is anything related to third-party involvement, or bullying or coercion in relation to getting Shukri down to the river.”

He emphasised that there is an ongoing police investigation which is hoped to be concluded within the next four to six weeks.

CCTV footage is currently being reviewed by officers, however Det Insp Naismith said that there is no CCTV from the river or the path leading to the river.

Police told the inquest hearing they had received two calls about the incident on June 27 – one from Shukri’s mother reporting her daughter missing at about 8pm.

They later received a second call, from “the friends” who had been with Shukri, alerting them to the fact that the 12-year-old girl was in the water. Fire crews, police and ambulances attended.

Det Insp Naismith, said: “It was quite clear quite quickly that Shukri had been in the water for 20 to 30 minutes.

“A rescue mission was launched by the emergency services. However, unfortunately, Shukri was recovered at 11.27pm and pronounced dead at 11.54pm.

“The family were informed and I then launched a full-scale investigation into the circumstances surrounding her death.”

He added: “I would like to offer my condolences to the family. I know this is a difficult time but I would also like to ask that there is some calm on social media and in the community.

“There were four other children involved in this from four very difficult backgrounds who are clearly having some very serious accusations pointed at them.”

The inquest has been adjourned until December 9.

A child who was at a river with a 12-year-old Somali refugee shortly before she drowned said she told the girl: “If you don’t get into the water I’m going to kill you,” an inquest heard on Monday.

The body of Shukri Abdi, who first came to the UK in January 2017, was found in the River Irwell in Bury, Lancashire, in June 2019. A group of children was with her at the river in the period before she died.

Shukri’s mother, Zamzam Arab Ture, had earlier told the inquest that her daughter was scared of water and had never swum before moving to the UK.

Child described threatening to kill 12-year-old refugee who drowned, inquest told

Child five described witnessing Shukri at Broad Oak school in Bury, which Shukri, child one and child two attended, at the end of the school day at 3.20pm. The child said that Shukri was approached in the locker room by child one and child two. The witness said that the physical approach was from child one who “started pushing her around” and then told told Shukri to get changed. The witness said they believed Shukri was preparing for a 200-metre athletics competition the following week. Following the incident child five said in video evidence that another girl in the locker room who witnessed the incident said: “That was a bit nasty.” Child five said that the atmosphere in the changing room had been one of laughing and joking until child one and child two came in. Child five initially said Shukri had been pushed around then said it was “not fully like pushed” but that child one “barged” Shukri and took hold of her shoulders. Child five said that child two told Shukri that they had been looking everywhere for her and were going to go to her house to look for her. Child Five added that most of the contact came from Child One and said that Shukri did not respond and was putting things in her bag. “I felt they were being horrible,” said Child Five, before saying that Shukri didn’t respond to the comments from Child One and Child Two and kept looking at the wall. “I think she was feeling a bit worried, scared, not proper like really scared just a bit because of the way she reacted. Normally she was happy,” said Child Five. “It was all laughing and jokes but as soon as Child One came in it was just silent,” said Child Five.

A SCHOOLGIRL looked on and laughed as Shukri Yahye-Abde drowned in the River Irwell, an inquest into the 12-year-old's death heard.

A hearing at Manchester Town Hall was told the girl — known as Child One for legal reasons — had been playing in the waterway with Shukri on June 27 last year.

But after swimming away from Shukri, who is said to have been unable to swim, the 12-year-old began to get into difficulties and eventually disappeared under the water.

Another youngster, Child four, who was with them at the riverside, dived into the water in a bid to rescue Shukri but was unable to find her.

Coroner Joanne Kearsley praised the boy's actions, saying he was "exceptionally brave".

Earlier in the inquest, the court heard Shukri had gone down to the river after school with Child One and three others — known as Childs Two, Three and Four.

Appearing via video-link, Child Four said that he and his friend, child three, had gone into Bury that afternoon and visited the cinema, an arcade and The Rock before "coincidentally" meeting up with Shukri and Childs One and Two.

He added that he had known child one for around a month and had previously attended primary school with Child Two, but noted he had not met Shukri before.

The boys were then invited to join the girls in a trip to the river.

All five of the children headed from Bury town centre towards the Irwell during which time no one said anything threatening to Shukri and they were all "nice to each other" and "all talking together", Child Four said.

On the way, Child Four recalled that Shukri said she was "alright at swimming".

He added that he was not aware of any plans to scare Shukri or get her 'into trouble in the water' and when questioned said he did not hear an alleged conversation between child one and child two about "what they would say afterwards".

Once at the river Shukri and Child One went into the water, while Child Two paddled and the two boys remained on the bank, as Child Three couldn't swim and Child Four thought the water looked dirty.

In the water Child One and Shukri began doing backstroke with their feet on the riverbed, although Shukri had her arm around the other girl, relying on Child One to support her, Child Four said.

However after some time the girl let go of Shukri and swam to some nearby rocks.

Shukri then got into difficulties, but 'no one did anything to stop her going under the water', Child Four said.

"[Child one] was on the rocks and she was laughing," the boy added. "I think that she thought Shukri was joking."

After trying to cry for help Shukri disappeared under the water and did not resurface.

Realising that something was wrong, Child Four took off his top and shoes and jumped into the water to try and rescue Shukri while Child Three went to fetch a stick.

After a couple of minutes the boy had been unable to find her in the murky water and so ran off to Bury Police Station to get help.

There he jumped over a barrier before alerting officers who hurried to the scene to join rescue operations alongside other emergency services.

Addressing Child Four at the end of his evidence, Coroner Joanne Kearsley said: "This has been a very difficult time for you. But there can be no doubt from the evidence you have given that you were exceptionally brave.

"You did everything you could to jump in and try and save Shukri. Not only did you do that but you ran to the police station, jumping a barrier."

The inquest continues.

A child who was with a 12-year-old Somali refugee who died in a river in Bury has told an inquest that she accidentally pushed her into deeper water shortly before the girl drowned.

[...]

In the evidence, Child One said of Shukri: “She was holding my legs at the back. I pushed her, I accidentally pushed her to the deep end. I couldn’t swim like that, I pushed her.

“She thought she could swim but didn’t know how to swim. She got into the water next to me. She was grabbing my hand. Something happened, she went down in the water to get back up, she didn’t make it. We were calling to Shukri to get up. She didn’t get up. We were all crying and shouting. She’s like really small. We were panicking. We were like: no, this cannot happen.”

A statement from Gillian Fenton, a paramedic with North West ambulance service who attended the scene after a 999 call was made and saw the four children on the riverbank, said: “No one appeared to be crying or in any state of distress.”

Girl tells inquest she accidentally pushed Shukri Abdi into deeper water

A coroner has concluded that a 12-year-old schoolgirl’s death by drowning was an accident.

[...]

Lawyers for the family argued that the senior coroner for Manchester north, Joanne Kearsley, should consider a conclusion of unlawful killing based on the actions of one of the children.

However, the coroner rejected this. “There is absolutely no evidence before the court that Child One had any intention to kill Shukri,” she said. She said Child One had breached a duty of care and made a serious error of judgment.

Death of Shukri Abdi, 12, in Bury river an accident, says coroner

Disgusting verdict when is quite clear this was no accident. The evidence is right there for it to be viewed as unlawful killing. We cant keep saying they were just "kids" the "friend" was 13 at the time and clearly knew what is right and what is wrong she knew what she was doing, she bullied her to go to the trip even though shukri did not want to go multiple times according to child 5 in the changing room pushing shukri around and intimidating her and than threatenening to murder her if she does not enter and then living her on purpose in the deeper part of the river while laughing for more than a minute. How on earth is that accident please explain. I am glad to hear the family is doing a judical review in this case.

Probably fits into the category of death by misadventure?

Those other kids need counseling, IMHO.

RIP, young lady, peace & comfort to your family; tenacity to investigators!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlternativeLuck
Back