CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I listened to him, I didn’t feel he was stressing that she was alone, but rather he stressed, “She WAS wearing a bikini and she WAS carrying a beer.” And that sounded to me like he felt those were the things that made her attractive to some random would-be kidnapper happening by.
And they likely would be. But the fact that she was alone is what would provide the opportunity.

Maybe there's no money for a PR person.

I've seen posts that say RT should sell this or that to post a big reward.

Does anybody know if those things are paid for? For all we know they are upside down on the house, truck and RV and selling them would gain nothing.

The ideas based on zero facts on this thread amaze me.

Hell for all we know they are in such financial straights that it could be a motive for murder. JMO

Possibly. Could have been upside down on everything and we've discussed that quite a bit here (the financial motive for murder). If not upside down though, then plenty of assets (that's only a partial list). We're not allowed to sleuth RT but, needless to say, elsewhere on the internet there's more information.

He could crowd source a reward. He could appeal to his community for help in raising a reward. He could even ask the RV/Truck dealer to take the thing back under the circumstances and save the payment (many dealers would do this if there were more publicity about the case, which there isn't, because RT needs to talk to the media more, himself, for that to happen).

Heck, I've seen REWARD posters with very small amounts and I believe they're quite effective at getting attention.

Maybe it will happen any day now.

JMO Places to ask or put up missing posters

Restaurants near their home
Marina where their boat is
(dry storage/rack/slip?)
Hair salon (some women chat to their hairdresser or to other customers)
RV Dealership where they bought the newest fifth wheel.
(Did they trade in their old one or sell it their self)
Local airport

Social clubs?
VFW
Elks
FOE
Kiwanis

Clubs Listings
 Fast food restaurants
 Restaurants
 Post offices
 Schools & School districts
 Grocery stores
 Banks
 Drive up ATM’s
 UPS & FedX
 Utility companies
 Morgues
 Stores
 Chamber of Commerce
 Shopping centers
 Service stations (every store if possible)
 Truck stops
 Hotels
 Child related businesses
 Hospitals
 Doctor’s offices
 Apartment complexes
 Airports
 Rental car agencies
 Sporting events
 Parks
 Homeless shelters and community kitchens
 Suicide prevention lines
 Public transportation
 Craigslist
 Libraries, public and schools
 Churches
 City Govt buildings
 Yahoo groups (via email)
 Bike couriers
 Meter readers
 Phone companies/trucks
 Cab companies
 Universities
 Dining Halls
 Mail area
 Common areas

 Send web version to groups who are out often:
 Jogging
 Cycling
 Mom’s groups
 Riding (horse and motorcycle) Groups
 Team in training
 Girl/Boy Scouts
 Big Brother/Big Sister
 PTA Other means of distributing flyers
 See if local papers will insert flyers in the paper
 Ask churches to hand out at their services
 Ask pizza companies to place on each box
 Ask larger businesses if they will forward to all branch locations
 Ask delivery truck drivers to drop off flyers at every stop they make

http://www.4themissing.net/uploads/5/8/7/1/5871085/where_to_put_flyers_flyer_distribution.pdf

In another case, I joined FB groups for Mushroom Hunting, Pokemon Go, Rock Painting/Hiding, Running, Hiking, etc. just to post flyers. MOO

Possibly. Could have been upside down on everything and we've discussed that quite a bit here (the financial motive for murder). If not upside down though, then plenty of assets (that's only a partial list). We're not allowed to sleuth RT but, needless to say, elsewhere on the internet there's more information.

He could crowd source a reward. He could appeal to his community for help in raising a reward. He could even ask the RV/Truck dealer to take the thing back under the circumstances and save the payment (many dealers would do this if there were more publicity about the case, which there isn't, because RT needs to talk to the media more, himself, for that to happen).

Heck, I've seen REWARD posters with very small amounts and I believe they're quite effective at getting attention.

Maybe it will happen any day now.
Good thoughts. I would just add to this that RT could reach out to BT's family.

Help me find the love of my life!
What can we do?
Have you spoken to detectives?
Can you help me hire a PI?

**But...crickets, AFAIK**

MOO

the whole premise of a mid afternoon hike in the Mojave in midsummer by driving a brand new rv to an isolated wide bend in a desert road is just so "out-there" that I find it hard to believe...
I initially thought so too, but apparently this was something they liked to do?

Amateur opinion and speculation

Just watching him again and again, the way he looks down and away, I think those are 'tell's and i'm sorry he is just not convincing me at all that he is innocent, and he does not seem distraught either. He hides his eyes when he is 'crying'.

Just why would you think someone had taken your wife, no disrespect but she's not a child, and not a 25 year old in a bikini in the middle of nowhere??? It's a very specific type of criminal that would want to abduct a 69 year old woman, he just chances on her while out on an innocent drive - what is the likelihood of that - we've all said it time and time again on here.

Also, if you believe your family member has been kidnapped, how the hell would you deduce that the kidnapper had taken them to Vegas - that is so bizarre, and based on what? When there doesn't seem to be any information or clues or ransom or anything. Where does that theory come from - nowhere, unless it was part of a plan that went wrong, in my opinion.

Just watching him again and again, the way he looks down and away, I think those are 'tell's and i'm sorry he is just not convincing me at all that he is innocent, and he does not seem distraught either. He hides his eyes when he is 'crying'.

Just why would you think someone had taken your wife, no disrespect but she's not a child, and not a 25 year old in a bikini in the middle of nowhere??? It's a very specific type of criminal that would want to abduct a 69 year old woman, he just chances on her while out on an innocent drive - what is the likelihood of that - we've all said it time and time again on here.

Also, if you believe your family member has been kidnapped, how the hell would you deduce that the kidnapper had taken them to Vegas - that is so bizarre, and based on what? When there doesn't seem to be any information or clues or ransom or anything. Where does that theory come from - nowhere, unless it was part of a plan that went wrong, in my opinion.

Well, someone pointed out that the reporter herself may have suggested Vegas to make it more locally relevant. That may or may not be true, we don't know. He cries remembering their love, and I think that's genuine. But he doesn't seem freaked out about a predator (that's who would grab a woman holding a bikini and a beer) keeping his wife captive. He asks them to return her, no questions asked. He doesn't ask them not to hurt her, at least on what's shown.

MOO

The problem is—if that’s what happened, then statistics don’t matter.
And you definitely don’t need 25% of the people driving along the road to be potential kidnappers. All you need is one person driving this road, at this time, as opposed to all the other times when it was perfectly safe.

We’ve seen lots of random kidnappings by strangers, here on WS. They were all extremely unlikely occurrences, and a lot of them involved a degree of luck that looks a lot like split-second timing. “What are the chances that someone comes along at that very minute....?” But if someone bad DID come along at that very minute, the chances are 100%.

MOO

P.S. However, I’m not keen on the abduction theory.
If that's what happened, yes, statistics don't matter.. and yes, you don't need 25% of the people driving to be potential kidnappers.. just need to be more than extremely unlucky; however, I think the point is that 'statistically speaking', what we are being served is hard to buy. Just like an MD listens to one's symptoms, and in his/her mind while he/she knows all the possibilities, the things he/she will focus on in determining one's ailment and the relating 'cure', will be the things that are much more likely, much more common, and he/she will rule those out first. It has been said before, something like: if you hear hooves outside your window, are you going to think horse or zebra.

IMO

My objection to Robert’s description or lack thereof:

Robert, a seemingly successful, urbane husband, evoked an appearance of impropriety in regards to his wife and did so at the time he knew Barbara needed resources & public support to be found.

It’s objectification:

Psychologists define objectification as when we look upon a person and think about them more in terms of their bodies than their minds, and see them as less capable than normal of having their own self-control and will. Any context that encourages us to focus on a person's body, more than their mind, is said to lead to objectification, such as when, in a previous era, a Formula One fan looked upon an attractive "grid girl" dressed in revealing clothes.

Perhaps the most serious concern about objectification is that it can lead us to disregard the rights and experiences of the objectified person. For instance, past research has shown that we're more inclined to blame a rape victim depicted in a bikini, and more willing to (hypothetically) administer painful tablets to men and women shown wearing swim wear, rather than fully clothed.

A new study found that people feel less empathy for women who wear revealing clothes

I certainly don’t think its “weird” Barb was in a bikini or drinking a beer in fact I noted in my experience it’s typical dress and activity for the area and wouldn’t turn a person’s head for a minute.

She was nearby their showy truck and camper. How many set ups like that have you seen that have just one older woman by herself? It would be reasonable to assume she had another person or more around.

Furthermore:

Is there a picture of her attire and cup from that day? From another day similar outfit and cup?

Where is the full description or duplicate suit and boots to show in case some where found?

Did the hat have any writing or logo? Facsimile of hat in case one found?

The pictures I’ve seen of Barb in a bathing suit she is not sexualized at all she just looks like a fit women in a not skimpy two piece suit. Her bearing and posture made her look strong not seductive.

IMOO

I don't have any issues with beer drinkers or wine drinkers or distilled spirit drinkers so I don't understand the disrespect. JMO
If you're inclined to see something sinister in every word, detail, gesture, etc., you'll see it. Happens to all of us. The fact that there is no consensus about such small things should make us less certain, IMO, about our objectivity.

It's very dangerous, there is no room for error or accident. A twisted ankle may mean death by thirst. Plus, it's a recipe for terrible skin issues later in life. I advise everyone to only visit these areas during fall or winter.

Layers of sunscreen. I use very good ones. And reapply, of course. I personally don't go by myself in the desert. Long sleeves and a hat, for me.

But my point is that people do go to very hot places for fun. And Kelbaker/HH is almost 4000 feet above sea level (according to Google), so not nearly as hot as Bullhead City.

VI here stated that RT said they were hiking before noon, initially. However, it was really 12-2, it was probably around 102-103 at that time (same temp as my back yard yesterday, and yep, I do go outside and I do go for walks). High that day at Kelbaker/HH was around 103-104 (LE said "low 100's.) That's the temp that DV would be on a day in fall.

A reasonable person would not run around frantically, knocking on doors, doing daily interviews, putting up posters etc, hereby putting pressure on already very suspicious and alert kidnappers.
Instead, one should do everything to forecom them flipping and harming their loved one or worse. LE would advice against this too.

Except, of course, LE has said they do not think there was an abduction. So I doubt they're treating it as an abduction or offering advice to RT on how to handle an abduction on his own.

In the previous thread, @artsy1 said this:

CA - CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #5

In a subsequent post, artsy1 gave a Google maps address for the gas station:
Google Maps

My guess is that it's around 30 miles on Hidden Hill Road to its intersection with Kelbaker Rd, which is where RT said BT disappeared. Others pointed out that Hidden Hill Road is unpaved and discussed what it would be like to drive the truck/RV combo along such a road. They said it would be jarring and dusty and (if I understood the comments correctly) not very good for the RV. On the other hand, if one intended to make someone disappear, that might be one place to do it.

If RT had driven the truck/RV combo along Hidden Hill Road, I think it would be covered with dust. I also think there might be distinctive tire tracks, especially because the truck was a "dually," with dual rear wheels on each side. I hope that LE noted the condition of the truck/RV as well as any tire tracks in the area.

Of course, that doesn't mean someone else couldn't have driven along that road. JMO.

Hidden Hill Road is barely a road. It goes for miles parallel to the I-40. It is unpaved and you can see the SAR team walking along it in one picture (it looks like a wide trail).

Searchers and LE were seen on HH early in the search so yes, I think they checked for tracks (I think it would have aroused suspicion if the truck and trailer tracks were there and RT had used such a road to approach their trailhead).

The timing for this abduction (with cars going by on Kelbaker every few minutes) had to be exquisite. If, as claimed by Barbara's son, it was by persons known to RT, there had to be some communication at some point about where, exactly, the couple would be at 2:30 pm that Friday and RT had to just coincidentally not be with Barbara (or as the son claims, deliberately stayed behind). Pretty amazing timing, if you ask me (although RT's cell phone was working at that point, obviously LE has his cell records by now and still does not believe it was an abduction).

I don't know why anyone would use HH as an approach, anyway. No cameras on either road, and many ways to get to that intersection on paved roads without passing by a camera (from Baker, for example). Or Zzyzx. Someone coming along HH would raise so much attention (big ole dust plume) that even a casual passerby on Kelbaker would notice (and the people just down the road at the Desert Study Center could notice, too). Indeed, RT would have seen such a dust plume himself, in that brief 5-10 minute period while he walked after Barb...

some would deem a bikini/speedo on a 69 yr old somewhat cougarish, but not me. barb is/was fit and, if the shoe/hiking boot/stilleto fits, wear it! frankly, i'm more interested in rt's "reputed" hair lightening and mullet with liberace-like perfumed ringlets (need confirmation fm prior poster).
but hey, they say 70 is the new 40. anything goes nowadays. Like the millennials say, YOLO!

It's okay, Nikynoo, I just realized that we can't link it anyway since it's a closed group. Not enough coffee yet this morning! I did ask the founder of the group whether either of the other admins are relatives of RT's though. MOO
I have checked with my SO, having looked further, I think my SO was mistaken. Family are members but not founders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member