Found Deceased UT - Elizabeth Shelley, 5, Logan, 25 May 2019, *Uncle Arrested* #5

According to prosecutors, Lizzy was stabbed in the back with a knife, which pierced her lungs.

The decision not to seek capital punishment was part of a plea deal in which Whipple agreed to disclose the location of Lizzy’s body, ending a search that lasted several days.

Whipple pleaded guilty to the felony charges of aggravated murder, child kidnapping, rape of a child and sodomy upon a child.

Two counts of obstructing justice and one count of abuse or desecration of a human body were dismissed.

Uncle pleads guilty in kidnapping, rape and murder of 5-year-old Elizabeth Shelley

Uncle pleads guilty to killing 5-year-old Lizzy Shelley, in deal that avoids the death penalty

Cache County Attorney James Swink said Tuesday in court that Lizzy died from a stab wound to the back with a knife Whipple took from her home. There was also DNA evidence that showed Whipple sexually assaulted the young girl.

As Swink went through the graphic details of his crimes, Whipple stared forward with his head hung down. He spoke little at the hearing beyond saying “guilty” each time to the four charges.

Lizzy’s aunt, said after the hearing that her family misses the little girl and are thankful for the support the community has offered them.

“We are hopeful that the criminal case can be resolved quickly so that we can continue to grieve without the worry of court hearings,” she said. “We would like to remind everyone that Lizzy was about kindness, happiness and looking for butterflies and rainbows.”

Alex Whipple confesses to raping and killing Lizzy Shelley

LOGAN — Months after the body of Elizabeth “Lizzy” Shelley was found buried behind a home in downtown Logan, Alex W. Whipple confessed to killing the 5-year-old girl. The 21-year-old Providence man accepted a plea deal that will still likely send him to prison for the rest of his life.

Whipple appeared in 1st District Court Tuesday afternoon for a preliminary hearing. He waived his right to the hearing and pleaded guilty to aggravated murder, a capital offense; along with felony child kidnapping, rape of a child, and sodomy of a child. As part of the deal, prosecutors dropped the remaining charges against him.

Whipple wore handcuffs and shackles, flanked by deputies behind him, as he stood beside one of his public defenders, Shannon Demler. He spoke only briefly, telling the court he was willingly waiving his right to a fair trial and that he was guilty of the charges.

[...]

During Tuesday’s hearing, Cache County Attorney James Swink described how Whipple stabbed Shelley in the back with a kitchen knife. The knife punctured her lungs, causing them to fill with blood.

Swink also said Whipple seized Shelley from her bedroom and took her from her home before sexually assaulting her. The defendant’s DNA was later found in Lizzy’s body, proving that she had been raped and sodomized.

Whipple remains in the Cache County Jail, being held without bail. He is scheduled to be sentenced September 24. bbm

Alex Whipple entered his guilty pleas to murder, kidnapping and rape Tuesday during a hearing in Logan, Utah. As part of the agreement, charges of obstruction of justice and desecration of a body were dismissed.

Police say he killed Elizabeth “Lizzy” Shelley on May 25, after his sister let him spend the night at the family home. Lizzy was missing for five days before her body was found in a heavily wooded arealess than a block from her home.

The 21-year-old Whipple is scheduled to be sentenced on Sept. 24.

Prosecutors had previously agreed not to pursue the death penalty after Whipple gave his lawyer a map of where to find Lizzy’s body.

Utah man pleads guilty to killing 5-year-old niece

I wasnt expecting that,but I am so glad for Lizzys family that they will be spared the extra pain of a trial,and all the terrible details of Lizzys last moments wont be laid out for public consumption. Lizzys family,her mum in particular, have been so graceful in their grief,its all about Lizzy and how she loved life and embraced the beauty in the simple things. Sleep tight now sweet girl. #LivelikeLizzy xx

Lizzy-Shelley-10.jpg

Whipple pleaded guilty to:
  • Aggravated murder, a Capital offense
  • Child kidnapping, a first-degree felony
  • Rape of a child, a first-degree felony
  • Sodomy of a child, a first-degree felony
In exchange for his pleas, two charges of obstructing justice, a second-degree felony, were dismissed with prejudice, as was one count of desecration of a dead human body, a third-degree felony.

Whipple was already promised he will not face the death penalty, a deal he made in exchange for revealing the location of Lizzy’s remains.

Whipple’s sentencing is scheduled for Sept. 24 of this year.

Uncle pleads guilty to kidnapping, assault, murder of 5-year-old Lizzy Shelley in Logan | Gephardt Daily

Whipple was named a suspect in Shelley's disappearance early on in the investigation because Whipple was absent from the home when Shelley's mother discovered she was missing. The little girl was laid to rest in Logan in June, with a mourning community.

The 21-year-old was drinking alcohol at his sister's house the night before he allegedly took Shelley, court document state.

Whipple later told authorities that alcohol makes him do "criminal things."

During the investigation, police found several pieces of evidence that linked Whipple to Shelley's murder.

Blood found on a Shelley's mother's kitchen knife, Whipple's watch and a hooded sweatshirt all had positive matches to Shelley's DNA profile. A beer can--the same kind Whipple had been drinking the night before--tested positive for the 21-year-old's DNA and a palm print on a bloody PVC pipe also Whipple's, court documents state.

Prosecutors took the death penalty off the table in exchange for the location of Shelley's body. Whipple could spend the rest of his life in prison. His sentencing hearing is scheduled for Sept. 24 at 1:30 p.m.

Uncle pleads guilty to murdering, kidnapping Elizabeth Shelley

Whatever the motive behind the guilty plea, I am just grateful that Lizzy’s poor family will not have to endure a trial. The crimes he committed against their poor sweet girl are horrific enough without their hearing the evidence and graphic detail.

As others mentioned upthread I am somewhat surprised of the guilty plea, but then again, he did tell LE where to find her. It was abundantly clear that he was responsible.

I'm just glad for the family that they don't have to sit through a trial.

Good riddance.

From your link, so tragic. So unnecessary.

"In court, they explained Lizzy was stabbed in the back with a knife, which pierced her lungs. Her lungs filled with blood, prosecutors said, causing her to drown.

They also laid out the evidence found for rape and sodomy. They said they believe Whipple kidnapped Lizzy from her room after Lizzy's mother and mother's boyfriend went to sleep on May 25th. They said Whipple took her to away from the home, then detained her and sexually assaulted her."

I have no doubt that he was bribed into this. Prison is much easier when someone puts cash on your commissary.

This has nothing to do with AW having a conscience, or actually feeling remorse. A trial was not in his best interest.

That's a very interesting theory that I have never ever considered before as to a case being plead guilty.

That somebody in the family would say to them, theoretically, that I will put money on your account if you end this right now and plead guilty.

I know that in some cases we have specifically seen the defense lawyers do not want the defendant to meet with family members, but I had never considered this as a possibility. That's what I love about this site, that so many people give input that I would have never thought of. Thank you as I will take this to another case perhaps.

Especially one where the murder was within the family.

ETA, but if this was the case, doesn't the judge at his sentencing ask such a question about undue influence into making his decision, which he would need to be truthful about saying that he was giving money to plead?

Then again, he murdered her so viciously that who would expect him to tell the truth even so.

So I'm not sure that that's what has happened because he would have to admit to it?

But again, an interesting Theory.

I agree this wasn't a plea out of remorse or consciousness for what this monster did to Lizzie, but either way it will save her family and loved ones the horror of having to sit through an overwhelming, emotional trial, and for that I'm grateful.

Wishing healing and recovery for Lizzie's family and I know she's flying high smiling down on them.

I don’t think he was bribed. He seems like a deranged introverted twisted human and I don’t think he wants any more attention. Isolation and degradation in a cell is what he deserves and I think he’s probably more or less okay with that, and not out of feeling remorse. Moo!

I agree this wasn't a plea out of remorse or consciousness for what this monster did to Lizzie, but either way it will save her family and loved ones the horror of having to sit through an overwhelming, emotional trial, and for that I'm grateful.

Wishing healing and recovery for Lizzie's family and I know she's flying high smiling down on them.

I agree with you, once he is sentenced in the 24th September that's it , done and over with. This family can begin their healing, no trial to sit and listen to heinous details of what Alex did to his niece.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clintbentwood
Back