Identified! WA - Thurston Co, WhtFem UP57709, 13-19, found in wooded area, May'19 - Danielle Griffith

My first thread (woo!)
I was surprised to find such a young recently found UID on NAMUS without a thread here already. I searched for media articles concerning this UID and couldn't find any. It would be great if anyone else could find some. You'd think this kind of discovery would attract media attention. Maybe LE has an idea who it is and doesn't need the public's help so they aren't alerting the media? Anyone know of missing teenagers that could be possible matches?

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Demographics

SexFemale
Race / EthnicityWhite / Caucasian
Possible First Name--
Possible Middle Name--
Possible Last Name--
Possible Nickname--
Estimated Age GroupAdolescent
Estimated Age Range (Years)13-19
Estimated Year of Death--
Estimated PMI--
Height5' 3"-5' 9"(63-69 inches) , Estimated
WeightCannot Estimate
Circumstances
TypeUnidentified Deceased
Date FoundMay 17, 2019
NamUs Case CreatedMay 31, 2019
ME/C QA Reviewed--
Location Found Map
General Location--Tumwater, Washington 98512
County Thurston County
GPS Coordinates--
Circumstances of Recovery Skeletal remains were uncovered by an excavator clearing a wooded area.
Details of Recovery

Inventory of Remains--
Condition of Remains Not recognizable - Near complete or complete skeleton
Physical Description
Hair Color Brown
Head Hair Description Straight hair
Body Hair Description--
Facial Hair Description--
Left Eye ColorUnknown or Missing
Right Eye ColorUnknown or Missing

My first thread (woo!)
I was surprised to find such a young recently found UID on NAMUS without a thread here already. I searched for media articles concerning this UID and couldn't find any. It would be great if anyone else could find some. You'd think this kind of discovery would attract media attention. Maybe LE has an idea who it is and doesn't need the public's help so they aren't alerting the media? Anyone know of missing teenagers that could be possible matches?

Demographics

SexFemale
Race / EthnicityWhite / Caucasian
Possible First Name--
Possible Middle Name--
Possible Last Name--
Possible Nickname--
Estimated Age GroupAdolescent
Estimated Age Range (Years)13-19
Estimated Year of Death--
Estimated PMI--
Height5' 3"-5' 9"(63-69 inches) , Estimated
WeightCannot Estimate
Circumstances
TypeUnidentified Deceased
Date FoundMay 17, 2019
NamUs Case CreatedMay 31, 2019
ME/C QA Reviewed--
Location Found Map
General Location--Tumwater, Washington 98512
County Thurston County
GPS Coordinates--
Circumstances of Recovery Skeletal remains were uncovered by an excavator clearing a wooded area.
Details of Recovery

Inventory of Remains--
Condition of Remains Not recognizable - Near complete or complete skeleton
Physical Description
Hair Color Brown
Head Hair Description Straight hair
Body Hair Description--
Facial Hair Description--
Left Eye ColorUnknown or Missing
Right Eye ColorUnknown or Missing

And you did a great job! Ty for posting.

Strong possibility it's 16 year old, Mariah Dachtler, who's been missing since June 26, 2018. So yesterday was the first anniversary of her disappearance. She ran away from home in Kelso, about 60 miles south of where the remains were located.

Kelso police seeking information on juvenile runaway

From tdn.com: "Mariah Dachtler is about 5-foot, 4-inches tall with a thin build, long dark hair, and brown eyes, Kelso police said."

If dentals are not available, DNA matching can take quite a while.

Strong possibility it's 16 year old, Mariah Dachtler, who's been missing since June 26, 2018. So yesterday was the first anniversary of her disappearance. She ran away from home in Kelso, about 60 miles south of where the remains were located.

Kelso police seeking information on juvenile runaway

From tdn.com: "Mariah Dachtler is about 5-foot, 4-inches tall with a thin build, long dark hair, and brown eyes, Kelso police said."

If dentals are not available, DNA matching can take quite a while.

I didn't see a thread here for Mariah, so I made one: WA - WA - Mariah Marie Dachtler, 16, Kelso, Cowlitz County, 26 June 2018

I haven't heard much about this unidentified victim anywhere online. She was aged between thirteen and nineteen years of age when she was found in Tumwater, Washington on May 17th 2019. Her height is estimated at between 5'3 and 5'9, but we have to remember that she is skeletal. She was found by an excavator clearing the area. Her hair was described as being brown and straight.

Despite the fact that she might be a runaway or someone she knew had killed her, the fact that Tumwater is a 24-minute drive from McCleary, it makes me wonder if she is connected to the Lindsey Baum case.

Nevertheless, as we are approaching the second half of August (I am British, so forgive me if I am incorrect on this assumption), schools will be starting soon and if a girl doesn't return for the fall, people will begin to wonder.

It depends on her age as to whether she would be returning to school. She may have graduated high school early if she is an older teen. There isn't anything on the Tumwater Police Dept Facebook page mentioning this body.

Either way, she's a young lady who needs to come back home.

Interesting that her hair was found but the body was skeletal. The roots of her hair can be DNA tested. I wonder if the insect activity gives them a timeline.

I haven't heard much about this unidentified victim anywhere online. She was aged between thirteen and nineteen years of age when she was found in Tumwater, Washington on May 17th 2019. Her height is estimated at between 5'3 and 5'9, but we have to remember that she is skeletal. She was found by an excavator clearing the area. Her hair was described as being brown and straight.

Despite the fact that she might be a runaway or someone she knew had killed her, the fact that Tumwater is a 24-minute drive from McCleary, it makes me wonder if she is connected to the Lindsey Baum case.

Nevertheless, as we are approaching the second half of August (I am British, so forgive me if I am incorrect on this assumption), schools will be starting soon and if a girl doesn't return for the fall, people will begin to wonder.

How long a post mortem interval are we looking at? That would really help me narrow it down. I'm considering she may have been there a long time based on the fact she wasn't found until an excavation. So I took a look at missing women cases from the near Tumwater focusing my search on the north to the city of Tacoma. And I thing I may have found something.

Andria Bailey - MP5814
Original

Andria Bailey disappeared from Spanaway, Washington in either 1978 or 1979. She was last seen walking home from a party and wasn't reported missing until 1989. The decedant is listed as having brown hair, being between 13 and 19 years old, and being between 5'3" and 5'9". Andria had Brown hair, was 15-16 years old, and was 5'5". Spanaway is about a half-an hour drive away from Tumwater. If there's a possibility these remains could be that old then I'd say there's a very good possibility this might be her.

Andria Ann Bailey – The Charley Project

Last edited:
How long a post mortem interval are we looking at? That would really help me narrow it down. I'm considering she may have been there a long time based on the fact she wasn't found until an excavation. So I took a look at missing women cases from the near Tumwater focusing my search on the north to the city of Tacoma. And I thing I may have found something.

Andria Bailey - MP5814
Original

Andria Bailey disappeared from Spanaway, Washington in either 1978 or 1979. She was last seen walking home from a party and wasn't reported missing until 1989. The decedant is listed as having brown hair, being between 13 and 19 years old, and being between 5'3" and 5'9". Andria had Brown hair, was 15-16 years old, and was 5'5". Spanaway is about a half-an hour drive away from Tumwater. If there's a possibility these remains could be that old then I'd say there's a very good possibility this might be her.

Andria Ann Bailey – The Charley Project
It didn't say how long she was there.

I doubt one's hair could have survived for four decades in (probably humid) forest soil... (from what I've seen, under such environment could hair be preserved up to several years at best, while it depends quite a lot on several factors including acidity and climate)

Last edited:
I'm sure it's probably been looked into, but Brittany Marie Walker disappeared on April 11, 2017 from Fife, WA, and was believed to have been possibly travelling to Olympia, which is in the same county as Tumwater. She was 19 at the time, and while her hair is described as "sandy blonde, sometimes dyed black," it looks brown in her photos and is described as such in news articles. She is 5'3-4". Her boyfriend told her family that he had filed a missing person report soon after her disappearance in April, but this was not true, and her family filed one in September 2017. Her SSN was used to apply for apartments three times after her disappearance, all in the southern metro Seattle area, the final time in September 2017.

My reservations are that her family seems to have been aggressively looking for her, so I don't think this match would have been overlooked. She is also described on one flyer as white/Pacific Islander, sometimes using the last name Tautua, and her hair appears wavy in some pictures. She could, of course, style it straight, but I doubt it would remain that way in the elements.
Original

Brittany Marie Walker – The Charley Project
Tacoma police asking for help finding woman who’s been missing for a year
Mothers hope billboards will help bring missing kids home
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100012248020884
Brittany Marie Walker: Missing/Endangered

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads