Found Deceased WY - Aubree Corona, 28, did not return to campsite, Sublette County, 13 Jul 2019

Agree.

But after reading here I think there are only two options:

1. The truck crashed somewhere and Aubree is deceased.

2. She is on the run and has been lucky.

I think OnStar was disabled long before they even went camping, for whatever reason.

I think number 1 is most likely after looking at the map and timeline and hearing about the sightings of her. More than one person said she was lost and asking for directions. After a day of driving around lost she would be tired and frustrated and more prone to getting in an accident IMO.

However I would also leave open a slight possibility for a number
3: She is a victim of foul play. If that's the case, someone could have hidden her and the truck in a place not along any of the routes that have been searched.

Either way, I really think they need to search the lakes. IF LE says there are too many lakes to search then I would look for volunteer SAR groups that do boat searches with sonar.

MOO

I think number 1 is most likely after looking at the map and timeline and hearing about the sightings of her. More than one person said she was lost and asking for directions. After a day of driving around lost she would be tired and frustrated and more prone to getting in an accident IMO.

However I would also leave open a slight possibility for a number
3: She is a victim of foul play. If that's the case, someone could have hidden her and the truck in a place not along any of the routes that have been searched.

Either way, I really think they need to search the lakes. IF LE says there are too many lakes to search then I would look for volunteer SAR groups that do boat searches with sonar.

MOO
BBM
ITA with this Gardener, especially worried that she'd missed a very important probation visit. I am an anxious driver and I can totally relate to getting lost and feeling frustrated.

It would be great for SAR groups to check the lakes.

This is heartbreaking. Are the NA authorities from the reservation aware that she could have stumbled on to their land? I wish there was more we could do to help. I’m praying you find her soon!
Yes, a family member notified them the week Aubree disappeared and family has been out on the reservation putting up flyers.

Sadly, I really think water. :-(
However, I guess I read too much WS. My apologies in advance for the next few rambling thoughts...
Is it true that once she got to Dubois that there would be pretty much only one road back across the Union Pass to get back to the campsite? If so, is it possible the logger could have set a trap for her when she came back through after getting gas? If so, he could have planned the trap when she was following him and set up a kind of alibi by calling in to LE (making it look like she was lost before she really was and/or making sure everybody knew she was prone to getting lost.) He would need some kind of alibi, as there were probably other loggers present at the first encounter with Aubree.

Or is that completely wacky? I feel bad for casting doubt on the logger, as he seems like a good Samaritan, but I wonder if his whereabouts after the last sighting of Aubree in Dubois are known?

However, I guess I read too much WS. My apologies in advance for the next few rambling thoughts...
Is it true that once she got to Dubois that there would be pretty much only one road back across the Union Pass to get back to the campsite? If so, is it possible the logger could have set a trap for her when she came back through after getting gas? If so, he could have planned the trap when she was following him and set up a kind of alibi by calling in to LE (making it look like she was lost before she really was and/or making sure everybody knew she was prone to getting lost.) He would need some kind of alibi, as there were probably other loggers present at the first encounter with Aubree.

Or is that completely wacky? I feel bad for casting doubt on the logger, as he seems like a good Samaritan, but I wonder if his whereabouts after the last sighting of Aubree in Dubois are known?
Interesting. I don’t know about others but I do know that when I have someone follow me in their car, I always make sure to keep them in sight so that they do follow me even if it means pulling over when I pass a light that’s about to turn red and know they’ve been stopped by it. I find it peculiar that the logger told her to follow but then lost sight of her.

Wow. I just read through the whole thread. To the people closest to this matter, it is quite common for a person to be found within an area that was searched in the past. It happens all the time. People have been found within a football field's length from home even though police searched the entire area. Thick brush, water, hard-to-reach areas and so forth can conceal a missing person and/or vehicle for quite a long time. With foliage thick this time of year, I think it may be difficult to search thoroughly. Lastly, were dogs used in the search? If so, were they able to track her scent at all?

BBM. No, she didn't have to go back via Union Pass. From what our VI @montanagirl15 told us Aubree specifically asked the Debois gas station clerk for a map and directions to get to Pinedale that would be on main roads. She wanted to avoid the roads that she had gotten lost on and almost ran out of gas before. The clerk told her how to drive through Lander, South Pass and Boulder to get there instead of the way she had come.
Here's a map of her possible route: Google Maps

Also the logger who helped lead her to the road being some kind of bad guy laying in wait for her to return doesn't make sense to me since he called the police right away and reported the incident after he lost sight of her. He was probably thinking she ran out of gas and the police might send a car down the road to try to find her. The report from the logger was filed and wasn't connected with possibly being Aubree until days later because she wasn't a missing person when he made his report. It seems she made it off of Union Pass and made 2 gas station stops and also texted her boyfriend after her encounter with the logger. She asked people at both those gas stations for directions. With multiple witnesses saying she was lost I think it's highly unlikely the logger happen to file a false police report about a lost woman as some sort of alibi.

MOO.

Looking at @Gardener1850 google map (Google Maps), from around South Pass, there are 3 ways to get up to Pinedale:
  1. Continue on 28 to Farson, then take 191 up to Pinedale--all paved highways.
  2. Take the route that @Gardener1850 has on the map--353, which is the Lander Pinedale Stage Road turn-off from 28. This is a dirt road for as far as I can see--google did not drive down this road.
  3. Take the Lander Cutoff Road. It is the first road after the rest stop on 28, and it is also dirt.

I hope all three possible routes were checked. I google walked from Dubois to Farson. It was pretty easy to stay on the route, as there were not too many tricky interchanges, but there were a lot of river crossings, and I saw two big reservoir lakes by the highway. TY for posting the updated map, @Gardener1850! I know that took a lot of work.

Looking at @Gardener1850 google map (Google Maps), from around South Pass, there are 3 ways to get up to Pinedale:
  2. Take the route that @Gardener1850 has on the map--353, which is the Lander Pinedale Stage Road turn-off from 28. This is a dirt road for as far as I can see--google did not drive down this road.
  3. Take the Lander Cutoff Road. It is the first road after the rest stop on 28, and it is also dirt.

I hope all three possible routes were checked. I google walked from Dubois to Farson. It was pretty easy to stay on the route, as there were not too many tricky interchanges, but there were a lot of river crossings, and I saw two big reservoir lakes by the highway. TY for posting the updated map, @Gardener1850! I know that took a lot of work.

I believe our VI said that the clerk mentioned both the Lander Cutoff and the town of Farson as possible routes as well. I didn't mean to make the dirt road of 353 the main route. That's just what Google auto mapped with those points. Google limits the number of points I can plot so here's a map including Farson (I took out the Sheridan Creek sighting location): Google Maps

I think that she would probably want to stay on the paved roads as much as possible on the way back. I was also concerned following the route at how many times the road passed over a lake or a river. The search area is so vast. :(

MOO

Last edited:
The timeline as we as a family have been told is:

7:00 am (approx.)-Aubree left camp in BF's truck with motorcycle in the back headed to Pinedale to do her court ordered BAT and purchase ice for the camp.

10:00 am (approx)-A grey Chevrolet Avalanche with a white motorcycle in the back was seen on the Pinedale side of the mountain, about 2 miles past the end of the pavement headed toward Green River Lakes.

12:30 pm (approx)-Aubree was seen the Avalanche in the Sheridan Creek area on the Dubois side of the mountain.

Early afternoon/No time given: Received assistance from logging truck driver whom she told she was lost and almost out of gas. He had her follow him to Union Pass Road and through the switchbacks and off the mountain. At some point prior to reaching the highway he noticed she was no longer behind him. He immediately reported the contact to LE. However, the report was not connected with Aubree's disappearance until Monday afternoon when LE put out her missing person info.

No time given: Gas station in Dubois states she put gas in the truck. Asking for directions back to Union Pass.

No time give: Stopped at another gas station and purchased energy drink and asked clerk for directions back to Pinedale via paved roads. Clerk gave her instructions and a map re: returning to Pinedale via Lander, South Pass, Carson and Boulder. He also mentioned a "shortcut" called the Lander Cutoff.

3:00 pm (approx)-Aubree texted BF that she had gotten lost and was in Dubois. She was going to gas up the truck, get a slice of pizza and head back.

She was never seen again!

No time given:

Bringing forward this helpful timeline post by the VI for those who might have missed it.

My maps of Aubree's possible routes to Dubois and back are based mostly on the above post.

@montanagirl15 mentions
"No time give: Stopped at another gas station and purchased energy drink and asked clerk for directions back to Pinedale via paved roads. Clerk gave her instructions and a map re: returning to Pinedale via Lander, South Pass, Carson and Boulder. He also mentioned a "shortcut" called the Lander Cutoff."

BBM. She says "Carson" here but I think that was meant to say Farson.

MOO.

Yes, if Aubree followed the clerk's directions from Dubois she could have arrived in Lander via two routes. If she stayed on Hwy. 26 she would have arrived in Riverton and then taken Hwy 789 to Lander. In Lander there is a 4 way intersection. If she went this route she would have needed to turn left at the light at the intersection onto Hwy 287. Past Boulder there is an intersection to turn right to Rawlins. At this juction Hwy turns into Hwy. 28. which then leads to South Pass (Lander cutoff) and Farson. The second route would have left Dubois on Hwy 26/287.
About 30 miles NW of Riverton there is a turnoff to the right, onto Hwy 287, which would have saved about 30 miles of travel but would have taken her through the reservation on her way to Lander. If she came into Lander she would have needed to go straight through the lighted intersection to be on Hwy 287/28 to Farson. If she turned left she would have gone to Riverton via Hwy 789. A right-hand turn would have put her in a residential area of Lander. All roads have been driven stopping to check any areas that were not visible from the road. That also included the 132 Blue Sky Hwy from Hwy 26 via Ethete to Hwy 287 and back to Lander. Again we only checked near the roadways looking for and matted vegetation, broken branches on trees, debris and of course, the truck and Aubree. We have also driven the Lander Cutoff road from the Lander side. The first 11.2 miles were a little rough "washboard avenue". But once past the 11.2 mile mark and into Sublette County it was oiled dirt road and easily traveled. The last 35 miles to Boulder and Hwy 191 were paved. Overall not a bad road.

What a nightmarish sequence of wrong or missed turns Aubree must have been caught up in to stray so far away from Pinedale and her appointment. It's terrible to think of the long hours she was out there driving around, feeling lost and no doubt very anxious, trying to get to either her breathalyzer test or, when she gave up on that, back to camp. She must have felt both frustrated and frightened to be so disoriented in a wild and desolate landscape, with every turn leading her more astray, and even when she found someone to ask for directions they were not clear enough to her that she could follow them to safety.

I love driving alone and discovering remote places and back roads, but I know hours of feeling lost in a maze of dirt roads and mountains would scare the hell out of me and probably lead to a panic attack. I hope Aubree is located so she can at least come home to her little ones and the rest of her family, although at this point I don't think it will be a happy discovery.

@montanagirl15 and @Misssophia1, thank you both for sharing information about the search for her and what you think may have happened. I can only imagine the worry and heartache you and others who love her are experiencing as you search for her without much apparent help from LE. I don't want to bash LE, and maybe they have sound although undisclosed reasons for ending their search. But from here on the outside it is difficult to comprehend their apparent unconcern over the vanishing of this young woman who was, as far as we know, simply trying to comply with a legal requirement placed on her. It's tragic that in trying to fulfill her legal obligations and demonstrate that she is a responsible driver Aubree encountered such a baffling, dangerous misadventure.

edit: typo

Bringing forward this helpful timeline post by the VI for those who might have missed it.

My maps of Aubree's possible routes to Dubois and back are based mostly on the above post.

@montanagirl15 mentions
"No time give: Stopped at another gas station and purchased energy drink and asked clerk for directions back to Pinedale via paved roads. Clerk gave her instructions and a map re: returning to Pinedale via Lander, South Pass, Carson and Boulder. He also mentioned a "shortcut" called the Lander Cutoff."

BBM. She says "Carson" here but I think that was meant to say Farson.

MOO.
Thanks for the maps.
@montanagirl15, @Misssophia1 , Where is the gas station where the clerk gave Aubree instructions to get back to Pinedale? If in Dubois, why did she stop at two different gas stations in Dubois?

From Dubois back to the camp or Pinedale, Google Maps suggests going the opposite direction from away from Lander and South Pass, and instead going US-26 W and US-189 S/US-191 S up around Grand Teton. This would be a little over three hours instead of closer to four by going through Lander, South Pass, etc.

I'm sorry if I'm missing something here. I'm trying, but this is so confusing. I feel so bad for everyone trying to find Aubree, and for Aubree herself.

Google Maps

Thanks for the maps.
@montanagirl15, @Misssophia1 , Where is the gas station where the clerk gave Aubree instructions to get back to Pinedale? If in Dubois, why did she stop at two different gas stations in Dubois?

From Dubois back to the camp or Pinedale, Google Maps suggests going the opposite direction from away from Lander and South Pass, and instead going US-26 W and US-189 S/US-191 S up around Grand Teton. This would be a little over three hours instead of closer to four by going through Lander, South Pass, etc.

I'm sorry if I'm missing something here. I'm trying, but this is so confusing. I feel so bad for everyone trying to find Aubree, and for Aubree herself.

Google Maps
That would have been my preferred route, also. But VI said the clerk at the gas station suggested the Lander route because of construction on the other highway. And last month the delays the construction were causing were nothing short of epic with all of the tourists.

That would have been my preferred route, also. But VI said the clerk at the gas station suggested the Lander route because of construction on the other highway. And last month the delays the construction were causing were nothing short of epic with all of the tourists.
Aha! I knew I must have missed something. Thank you. It appears there’s only one turn to get to the camp if you go up to the Tetons. Aubree may have decided after having been lost all day to take the easy way back instead of the more complicated, presumably shorter route. Just something to think about since the other route has been searched so well. :-(

Thanks for the maps.

Google Maps
We believe there might have been two reasons the clerk showed Aubree how to get to Pinedale via Lander: 1) Aubree was familiar with Lander/South Pass and perhaps she felt getting to familiar territory would make it easier to find her way. 2) There was road construction on US Hwy 26/Hwy 287 and the clerk may have thought based on her state of mind getting her back to Pinedale ASAP was the best option.

Again, we apologize that this is only speculation, but our best guess is she intended to go back up over Union Pass, that is why she asked the clerk at the gas stations she stopped to gas up the truck the way back to Union Pass Road. But our thoughts are as she was driving back to Union Pass Road she started to panic after being lost in the mountains most of the day and stopped at the second convenience store to ask for directions. The gas station where she put gas in the truck is Pit Stop which is on the main street in Dubois. The gas station where she asked for directions and purchased an energy drink was Taylor Creek which is on the way back towards Union Pass Road on US Hwy 26/Hwy 287.

Again, we apologize that this is only speculation, but our best guess is she intended to go back up over Union Pass, that is why she asked the clerk at the gas stations she stopped to gas up the truck the way back to Union Pass Road. But our thoughts are as she was driving back to Union Pass Road she started to panic after being lost in the mountains most of the day and stopped at the second convenience store to ask for directions. The gas station where she put gas in the truck is Pit Stop which is on the main street in Dubois. The gas station where she asked for directions and purchased an energy drink was Taylor Creek which is on the way back towards Union Pass Road on US Hwy 26/Hwy 287.

So she could have decided to go back up Union pass road OR take the Lander route. Do you know if the clerk had any feeling after giving her the map and directions as to which way she decided to take?
Yes, she could have gone any direction. The truck was parked facing south while she was in the store, but the clerk didn't see which way it went when she left. She could have tried to go back up over Union Pass, she could have gone down through Lander using the directions she was given, or she may have decided to head towards Jackson and just deal with the road construction. If she chose to go via Jackson she could have ended up almost anywhere-ID, MT, UT, CO...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back