CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good catch. ^^^
So , the photo of her may have been taken two years earlier ?
Timestamps can be changed.
LE would know if this particular photo was altered.

The photo released by LE is NOT tagged as being 2 years old. There was no date/time stamp included in the EXIF data that referenced when the photograph was taken... only the ICC_Profile creation date was included which has has no direct correlation to the date/time the photo was taken.

I don’t know what kind of sense of direction BT had but people really do get turned around, even on short trip destinations. Especially if people started out together and separated along the way. Two miles in general is not really a big deal. But you add the heat, not sure of the ground surface and you have something different.

Recently I was making my way back to my vehicle after a easy, clearly marked loop trail when I came across someone not sure how to get back to the parking lot. I was actually concerned enough not to just point them in the direction but started a conversation that allowed us to walk together. My normally super aloof dog with strangers took a interest in this person, almost like he was concerned for her as well.
I don’t know what kind of sense of direction BT had but people really do get turned around, even on short trip destinations. Especially if people started out together and separated along the way. Two miles in general is not really a big deal. But you add the heat, not sure of the ground surface and you have something different.

Recently I was making my way back to my vehicle after a easy, clearly marked loop trail when I came across someone not sure how to get back to the parking lot. I was actually concerned enough not to just point them in the direction but started a conversation that allowed us to walk together. My normally super aloof dog with strangers took a interest in this person, almost like he was concerned for her as well.
BBM Yes and have you ever seen the desert out there. Everything looks the same. It's not like oh there's a tree and a hill, etc. It literally all looks the same, same terrain. When I saw it visiting my grandma 50 years ago, looking at it, I thought, I would never go out there.

I'm English. We're a strange lot :p

For me it's moot. I dont believe she was there at all, but hypothetically yes if it was just 4 mins and she wasnt desperate, she would probably head back to the RV. I thought it would take longer, being as it was far enough away for him to lose her. Apparently. JMO
Bolding mine.
It's starting to look like that, isn't it ?
So sad for her loved ones, they have to be getting 100 x more frustrated , trying to elicit information from LE.

So.. As mentioned this morning..
If RT is recluse in their home and not eating... What does that say ?
After all he is not searching OR putting out missing person flyers.. or is he ?
If not, he seems worried about... Himself ?

I myself would be tearing the world apart looking for Barbara if I were him..
jmho
BBM

Agreed.

July 12, 2019

8:05am Barb leaves home to drop dog off at doggie care, it's a 5 minute drive from her house
8:10am Dog is dropped off
8:15am According to VI Dbdb, neighbors' cameras show RT and BT leaving their driveway in their new dually Truck and 5th wheel RV
11:00 am (in version told to family, RT says he started searching for Barb; from VI's sister)
12:00 noon. In the same version of the story, given by VI Dbdb as told to him by his sister, RT tells the family that he began to worry about the heat and called 911)
2:30pm RT says he returned to the RV about an hour before calling 911 (see below) and looked for Barb "for an hour)
3:26 pm SBCS dispatch log registers a missing person at Kelbaker and Hidden Hill Road
5:30 pm SBCS and SAR arrives at Kelbaker/HH

We can only estimate on the time it took to do the 2 mile round trip hike to the Granite Hills. It takes 2 hours to drive from their house to the place where RT called 911.

Thanks for this timeline, @10ofRods.
If they arrived at 10:15 or so, and RT started searching at 11 am for her -- that's a while to be out in the heat.
So did he search for more than an hour ?

I didn't say she drove. I said she dropped off her dog. RT could have driven her. She could have ubered. She could have walked (although then it's longer back to the house - so unlikely).

We don't know for sure. The kennel staff were contacted by a WS member (so maybe we can add that to the timeline). I don't think the kennel staff knows whether RT was waiting in the car. I don't think anyone knows who drove.

The point is, Barb was seen that morning. She was still alive. Seen once by people and once by camera.
BBM

I missed that post or link.^^^

Did the kennel staff say what she was wearing ?
Curious if she was in her hiking bikini or was maybe wearing it under other clothing.
Anyone know what type of boots ?

I hike often on the same trails over and over near my house for exercise (just about daily, yay me), so I know the trails well. I, too, have been like you and helped guide many a hiker who get turned around and are unsure of how to get back to where they wanted to go. (We WSers care about missing folks, and do our part to not see them land on these pages, don’t we? ;))

One wonders during which question(s) the polygraph showed RT as being "deceptive" ("deceptive" according to what RT claimed LE told him). I'm guessing LE did not elaborate specific details to him but may have bantered with RT regarding elements of what LE may have believed/believes occurred that day in July.

*** IF *** RT had done something bad to BT and disappeared her remains and RT's lawyer had knowledge of that act, is the lawyer obligated to report that to LE? I believe the lawyer does have that obligation, overriding "attorney/client" privilege.

Would any legal experts perusing this thread like to chime in?

I can very easily understand Barb becoming overheated, disoriented, and wandering. I was recently in 115 F weather, and I could not think straight.
It would be easy to expire in that extreme environment

Amateur opinion and speculation

One wonders during which question(s) the polygraph showed RT as being "deceptive" ("deceptive" according to what RT claimed LE told him). I'm guessing LE did not elaborate specific details to him but may have bantered with RT regarding elements of what LE may have believed/believes occurred that day in July.

*** IF *** RT had done something bad to BT and disappeared her remains and RT's lawyer had knowledge of that act, is the lawyer obligated to report that to LE? I believe the lawyer does have that obligation, overriding "attorney/client" privilege.

Ask F. Lee Bailey...

I’m not a legal expert, but the answer is—absolutely not. Not only no obligation to, but an absolute duty not to. :(

MOO

Well, it's JMO, but knock me over with a feather if these two weren't quarreling that day

The kennel said BT seemed 'angry & aggravated' - and that was not normal

RT asked her to 'stay' while he took more pics...she didn't

He thought she just might be out in some cave. Why?

Mayhap because they had argued & he thought she might have taken off to some cave or off the trail because she didn't particularly care for the sight of him at the moment...?

Things weren't normal that morning.....& the kennel staff, at the least, are the eyewitnesses to that fact

JMO

I am so in agreement with you. That's my strong intuition as well. Marital spats can lead to some serious life-endangering actions, all by themselves. It would be embarrassing to admit to anyone. If LE finds that the timeline RT gives checks out, given the lack of other evidence, they are going to assume what you and I are assuming - they had a fight, she stalked off (took the wrong trail) and then...who knows what next? Took another wrong turn? And then another?

I will say that if that's the case, I really do not like RT and his unwillingness to untangle this and figure it out - that information, if withheld from police, may have cost Barbara her life. The son popping up on SM to insist there's an international abduction scenario (somehow enacted 5-10 minutes with no signs that LE can easily see on RT's phone) doesn't help. MOO.

LE isn't issuing bulletins consistent with "international abduction scheme," which says something. We don't even know for sure if LE ever took computers from RT.

YES. And when in the early stages of heat stroke, even more so. Perhaps both of them were haywire.

We come across people who are turned around in our foothills all the time.

I’m not a legal expert, but the answer is—absolutely not. Not only no obligation to, but an absolute duty not to. :(

MOO

That's in regard to LE. But not in regard to the Court.

Bolding mine.
It's starting to look like that, isn't it ?
So sad for her loved ones, they have to be getting 100 x more frustrated , trying to elicit information from LE.

BBM

Agreed.

Thanks for this timeline, @10ofRods.
If they arrived at 10:15 or so, and RT started searching at 11 am for her -- that's a while to be out in the heat.
So did he search for more than an hour ?

Not according to him. Just an hour. That's why the 3:26 911 call is important. That means he searched from about 2:30-3:30

People can be really bad with clock time. So I'm going with the dispatch call and the surveillance/dog kennel as book ends. RT would have lost sight of her around 2:20.

Where were they the rest of the day? Why didn't he say, in his attempt to capture the abductors? One type of abductor (a common type) would be following them.

Why hasn't the attorney (who is "frantically" trying to bring Barb back) given a public statement saying exactly where Barb's abductors may have been seen that day (so that CCTV footage could be gotten before it's deleted? Why no urgency in engaging the public in collecting all that footage, if it exists?)

Each place the Thomases stopped was a place that some bad guy might have been seen and it's more likely that someone followed them (perhaps intending to ambush both of them) than that Barbara just happened to be crossing the road when that 1 car every 10 minutes came by and contained an abductor.

Last edited:
Not according to him. Just an hour. That's why the 3:26 911 call is important. That means he searched from about 2:30-3:30

People can be really bad with clock time. So I'm going with the dispatch call and the surveillance/dog kennel as book ends. RT would have lost sight of her around 2:20.

Where were they the rest of the day? Why didn't he say, in his attempt to capture the abductors? One type of abductor (a common type) would be following them.

Why hasn't the attorney (who is "frantically" trying to bring Barb back) given a public statement saying exactly where Barb's abductors may have been seen that day (so that CCTV footage could be gotten before it's deleted? Why no urgency in engaging the public in collecting all that footage, if it exists?)

Gambling Debt ?
He knows who and needs to pay but has no money ?... But it has been 30 days.. Unless the FBI is on it ..

Maybe LE has all of that evidence collected and the lawyer has been told that by them. JMO

Last edited:
Well by now he's been checked out by LE and I don't see him being arrested and noone reported seeing her if she had been abducted so I assume BT is out in that desert somewhere. That's the way it is. :(

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean. Are you saying that if RT hasn't been arrested by now, that's unlikely to happen? I confess to watching Dateline way too much -- LE often doesn't arrest suspects until they feel they have enough evidence, and that can take a very long time.

I agree that BT could still be out in the desert somewhere. If she's there, the question is, where is she and how did she get there?

JMO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads