PA - Philadelphia shootout, multiple officers shot, 14 August 2019 *Arrest*

They probably get them the same way they get their drugs. There's a whole system in place, and has been since the 1970's with the advent of the first heroin epidemic, that allows gangs which deal drugs to get whatever they want, whenever they want, by way of dealing in stolen goods. A very complex and well established underground system, which will never abide by any laws.
Exactly. Legal trade with background checks. Illegal trade with an underground organization. Shooters who bought guns at Walmart. Shooters who bought guns from an illegal dealer. Apples. Oranges. There is a difference and solutions will be different.

This isn't a "background check" case. Obviously. I don't see the humor in poking fun at the issue. My humorless opinion only.

jmo

Philadelphia police pelted with objects, taunted during harrowing shootout, standoff: reports

Onlookers were seen taunting and throwing things at Philadelphia police Wednesday night amid a wild shootout and subsequent standoff that saw six cops wounded, and video posted online shows one woman shoving a police officer making his way to the scene.

In another video posted by Breaking911, one woman can be seen shoving an officer from behind as he passes through the crowd. Others in the crowd yell and throw objects at police as they enter the blocked off area amid the active standoff scene.

Philadelphia police pelted with objects, taunted during harrowing shootout, standoff: reports

Onlookers were seen taunting and throwing things at Philadelphia police Wednesday night amid a wild shootout and subsequent standoff that saw six cops wounded, and video posted online shows one woman shoving a police officer making his way to the scene.

In another video posted by Breaking911, one woman can be seen shoving an officer from behind as he passes through the crowd. Others in the crowd yell and throw objects at police as they enter the blocked off area amid the active standoff scene.
The situation was so tense, ready to explode. LEO kept their cool. It wouldn't have taken much for chaos to have taken over.

The image of the LEOs leading the daycare children to safety was so touching.

jmo

I'm sure they're upset because their drug source is being taken off the street. Now they'll have to make an effort to find a new one. jmo

I bet there are some people/groups working to make the neighborhood better and it sure looks like they could use some support. imo

jmo
Really. I saw nothing to indicate that. Known drug dealers living across from a daycare is not good. Close to a school? Turning on officers putting their lives at risk. Typical behaviour of these cluster type neighborhoods. And children growing up there just perpetuate the behaviour.
I hope someone goes in now and takes a good look and cleans house.

Really. I saw nothing to indicate that. Known drug dealers living across from a daycare is not good. Close to a school? Turning on officers putting their lives at risk. Typical behaviour of these cluster type neighborhoods. And children growing up there just perpetuate the behaviour.
Not everyone in the neighborhood was on the sidewalks taunting LE. I think there were people living there who were scared and wanted the situation resolved peacefully and who are upset - just like we are - that people would shoot at LE and taunt them.

I can't condemn an entire area when I have seen just a sample. Just a difference in perspective, I suppose, but I think it's dangerous to make blanket labels like that. Yes, the people on the street that we see in the video behaved horribly. Yes, the neighborhood looks like blight. But is everyone in the neighborhood trash? No, I can't say that.

(And drug dealing happens near schools in nice neighborhoods too.)

jmo

I doubt anything will be done since America seems to have romanticized criminal culture and there is no will to clean it out. At some point, hopefully, people will be fed up with the senseless unending violence and support ending gangs. It happened during the Capone era.

Last edited:

I wish they could round up those people who taunted/shoved the officers and put their names on a list of 'do not assist' for when they call 911. I am EXTREMELY disappointed in those human beings.

I cant even imagine trying to reclaim your neighborhood. So very sad.
Takes dedication, toughness, and lots and lots of hard work. Support from others likely helps, but determined people don't stop just because others look down on their work.

Neighborhoods can be turned around. Not easy, but possible.

jmo

Maurice Hill identified as suspect in Philadelphia shooting that injured 6 officers
"Ross said he was “very intentional and deliberate” with the words he used during the briefing since he was not sure if Hill knew there were two officers trapped upstairs."

21576105.jpg

Police take shooting suspect, Maurice Hill, into custody after an hourslong standoff with police, that wounded several police officers, in Philadelphia early Thursday, Aug. 15, 2019.

(Elizabeth Robertson/The Philadelphia Inquirer via AP)

The seller should be charged. I don't get into the gun issue, but are sellers tracked down and charged for selling illegally? I honestly don't know that angle.

Somebody is making big money off the illegal market that knowingly puts guns in the hands of criminals. Surely nobody here supports that.

jmo
If the guns been stolen it's nearly impossible to track down the seller and charge them short of the person using it telling the police who he bought from.

If it was bought by a straw purchase, it depends on the state and it's laws. It's a federal crime to straw purchase a weapon but the feds going after someone for it is extremely rare. Some states have enacted their own laws so it all just depends.

Maurice Hill identified as suspect in Philadelphia shooting that injured 6 officers
"Ross said he was “very intentional and deliberate” with the words he used during the briefing since he was not sure if Hill knew there were two officers trapped upstairs."

21576105.jpg

Police take shooting suspect, Maurice Hill, into custody after an hourslong standoff with police, that wounded several police officers, in Philadelphia early Thursday, Aug. 15, 2019.

(Elizabeth Robertson/The Philadelphia Inquirer via AP)
Must have been so nerve wrecking! You have an armed man willing to shoot cops, a neighborhood full of people, and LE inside the house. And media copters, drones, crowds taunting the officers. Any misstep and another person gets hurts.

Amazing police work.

Cool under extreme pressure. What an example this leadership set.

jmo

:mad: So sad !

I’m getting a little nervous where this thread is heading, guys..

What a miracle indeed that no one was hurt! Several heroic acts by law enforcement yesterday.. prayers to the police and their families healing from this trauma, and praying for Philly and that they can find peace and balance in the wake of something so eye-opening and heavy. It takes so many factors to fix the roots of problems in certain areas, I hope their lawmakers and community activists are as dedicated and as level headed as these officers are!

Kudos to all those who set up the opportunity for his lawyer to talk to him and convince him to surrender.

Yes...the whole thing was messy, but ended w/no loss of life.

Just shows how appearances can be deceiving - I was sure it was complete chaos with no one in charge - yet even with a nasty, provocative crowd, wounded officers, hostages, policemen pinned inside with the gunman, the leadership made intelligent calls & ended it peacefully.

We have seen awesome police work in these last two shootings.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lover305
Back