Found Safe ID/MT - Kaden Laga, 20, riding horses w/family, separated, Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness, 11 Aug 2019

There's so many unknowns and variables regarding the situation at this point, it's hard to analyze the options, tbh.

First, was cell phone service available so they could contact a vet (if a vet was even necessary) from the trail, or did they need to ride to the trail head or beyond to access assistance?
Is the injury actually treatable?:
There's a big difference between a horse becoming lame as the result of tearing off a shoe vs. a catastrophic, traumatic injury like a limb fracture.​
Is the injury treatable on the trail?
If yes, can it be dealt with by a non-vet with the right equipment/supplies, or does the horse need to be loaded into a trailer?​
Is the horse in an area accessible to a horse trailer, or can the horse be moved a reasonable distance to an area that is accessible?

Those are just a few of many more logistics that would need to be understood and managed. IMO

Cell phone service in that area is spotty, off the main roads, there really isn't any. It surprises people, that 3 miles away from the main highways, no bars. He may have thought that if he went to the top of a ridge he would have been able to get a few bars, that is what a lot of people think. Nope. It can be frustrating if you are not used to it.

Wondering what a pregnant gal would be out on a trail horse back riding...due in December? She must be much tougher than me. I didn't want to do much but sleep. Hope that they find her husband

FWIW, I don't get the impression that Kaden was going to "get help for the horse", sounds like he just planned to hike out and meet his family at the trailhead. Seems like they gave up on the horse right away. I so hope the horse has been humanely euthanized, I can't imagine how the family would worry about a human suffering out there and totally disregard a horse doing the exact same thing.

Whose horses were they?

I don't know if they rented the horses, perhaps some sort of trail rental. I am not fond of renting horses, they misbehave, thinking that if they brush off a rider, they can go back to the corral. It reinforces bad behavior. So, if a rider gets tough with a horse, they just don't have a relationship. It often ends up not so great.

I don't know if they rented the horses, perhaps some sort of trail rental. I am not fond of renting horses, they misbehave, thinking that if they brush off a rider, they can go back to the corral. It reinforces bad behavior. So, if a rider gets tough with a horse, they just don't have a relationship. It often ends up not so great.
Barn sour ... no one has said in any of the news stories if the horses were rented. But in a few it said he was with his parents and siblings. No mention of a guide.

Cell phone service in that area is spotty, off the main roads, there really isn't any. It surprises people, that 3 miles away from the main highways, no bars. He may have thought that if he went to the top of a ridge he would have been able to get a few bars, that is what a lot of people think. Nope. It can be frustrating if you are not used to it.

Wondering what a pregnant gal would be out on a trail horse back riding...due in December? She must be much tougher than me. I didn't want to do much but sleep. Hope that they find her husband
The article I posted upthread states he was with his father and his siblings. It doesn't sound like his pregnant wife was riding with them. (Unless, of course, the media in that particular article had it wrong.) I read elsewhere that he is familiar with this area. Does that mean they rode there before and perhaps had their own horses? Or were used to hiking and /or riding horses from a ranch nearby?

There's so many unknowns and variables regarding the situation at this point, it's hard to analyze the options, tbh.

First, was cell phone service available so they could contact a vet (if a vet was even necessary) from the trail, or did they need to ride to the trail head or beyond to access assistance?
Is the injury actually treatable?:
There's a big difference between a horse becoming lame as the result of tearing off a shoe vs. a catastrophic, traumatic injury like a limb fracture.​
Is the injury treatable on the trail?
If yes, can it be dealt with by a non-vet with the right equipment/supplies, or does the horse need to be loaded into a trailer?​
Is the horse in an area accessible to a horse trailer, or can the horse be moved a reasonable distance to an area that is accessible?

Those are just a few of many more logistics that would need to be understood and managed. IMO

Thank you so much for the info!

Awesome! I had a dream last night he was found but told myself not to mention that because it sounds weird and because I would feel bad if it didn't come true. But, I had a dream! :)

Great news. I wish him all the best as they celebrate this happy news and the upcoming happy news of the baby's arrival.

jmo
Happy news indeed. Much optimism on this case and it became reality :)

"Search for Kaden Laga
3 hrs ·
UPDATE 2:45am:

WE FOUND HIM!! And he’s alive! He walked into one of the camps set up and he is healthy and well.

Thank you thank you THANK YOU again for everyone’s effort and prayers. More details will emerge over time. He’s well enough to stay the night and fly out in helicopter first thing in the morning where we will meet him where they land.

God is real. He answers prayers and is a God of miracles. ❤️❤️❤️"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T-Dog
Back