CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do LE's tactics add up....?

IF photos (assuming they exist), the last ones of a woman who vanishes into thin air, are not released...why?

RT was told that he was shown to be not being entirely honest on his lie detector: IF LE lied to RT, why?

They have publicly stated they do not believe BT was abducted.

LE has a tactic, they are investigating the truth of the situation.

What is the situation, given the sparse fact we know, that they suspect?

JMO
The reason they were not released may be because the pictures would not help to find Barbara.

LE already searched the area extensively, using helicopters and scent dogs for over a week, I believe.

What good would releasing the photos to the public do? They already had an accurate description of her, where she disappeared, and what she was wearing.

They do not suspect foul play and have given no indication that they are pursuing a criminal investigation.

We have no idea if they suspect anything other than she is missing and she may be deceased.
Imo

Elected. In that case would you say a sheriff is more of a political figure than other police? does that apply to the sheriffs office as well?

just askin out of genuine curiosity.

Depending on the light you put on them you could say that, but by no means does that diminish the policing responsibilities. After all, you have to put your hat in the race so you better be down for the job. Deputies and officers and sheriff's posse aren't elected

Search for woman, 69, missing in Mojave Desert after separated from husband while hiking in bikini | Daily Mail Online

There is a picture of Barbara in this article with several other people - Perhaps friends? I see children (thought perhaps her son’s children) but don’t know if he came to see his mom a lot and I don’t think Barbara went many places without RT.
To the best of.my knowledge shebis with Robbie's relatives in the pictures circulating of Barb with kids in her lap etc.

Elected. In that case would you say a sheriff is more of a political figure than other police? does that apply to the sheriffs office as well?

just askin out of genuine curiosity.

Sheriffs work for the County within the state of California and Police work for the City within the state of California. Both are very similar. I worked for the County (Los Angeles) Sheriff's Department and over all the Sheriff runs on a much smaller group/team of investigators that the Police do. Quite often the Police Dept. will snub the Sheriffs Dept. in the handling of investigations, especially when both are initially involved. My experience only and I can only speak for California. MOO

Oh. Maybe there were no pictures of her in what RT described. Maybe she was in regular clothes in the pics.
(Taken before she changed?) Maybe the bikini description lends itself better to abduction?
Didn't the missing persons statement desribe her as wearing her bra and underwear? Maybe they didn't feel it was appropriate to release those pictures. Imo

I am literally glued to this thread hoping for a break in this case. Fingers crossed.

<modsnip - not victim friendly>

ETA: dbdb thank u for being here and helping us out. Oh how I hope we help u out.

Last edited by a moderator:
If there are pix of BT at the Kelbaker location from that morning, and if it’s accurate that the 911 call was 2:30 or later, I wonder if they might have gone to Kelbaker in the morning for a walk in the cooler temp, then gone to another location for a bit, then returned to Kelbaker. Is it easy to “drop the box” on those rigs if you want to just take a short jaunt in the truck while camping?

Excellent observation. From day 1, nobody has been looking for RT, only BT. Maybe someone saw him, but not her. I want to know if someone saw him in the period of time that he was allegedly frantically searching for her. Did he flag down any passing cars? Did anyone see him on his way back to the road to see if she was in the RV? Etc.
MOO
^^^Bringing this forward as it's a valid observation.

There's a vacuum of silence around the time they would have arrived at the Kelbaker rd. location.
Someone mentioned in the previous thread that cars pass by every few minutes.
So maybe someone did see him , or both of them and just hasn't realized it was significant now ?

But unless someone else pulls over by the road in the same spot (it was mentioned there's room for more than one vehicle on the side of the road there), once you're out of your car and hiking--- would you run into anyone else ?
Or is it isolated after you walk away from the road ?

There are other scenarios as well. Not sure why you're only choosing those two. LE says there's no evidence of abduction, and has not announced a change in that view.

One would be that Barb hitchhiked and was not abducted, but willingly left her life and started over...somehow. So she wasn't taken by a stranger, but simply joined one.

But there are other, more likely scenarios IMO.

What more likely scenarios are you referencing? TIA

RT was told that he was shown to be not being entirely honest on his lie detector: IF LE lied to RT, why?
He might not have actually lied, but kept something back. Such as if they had had an argument and she stormed off, he might not have wanted to admit it in case .... well, I think that would be understandable.

He might not have actually lied, but kept something back. Such as if they had had an argument and she stormed off, he might not have wanted to admit it in case .... well, I think that would be understandable.

I'm a little tuckered out - I think I get what you're saying

What I'm saying: is that RT may have passed with flying colors but LE lied to him: question:
What tactic would LE be using in lying to RT - ?

What result do they expect with this tactic - ?

JMO

can anyone with firsthand knowledge explain what differentiates a police station from a sheriffs office?

Not much. All counties in California have a Sheriff (I believe they are all elected). Cities, OTOH, can have police departments that have sole jurisdiction/first jurisdiction within city limits. Except for San Francisco County, all counties have land that's outside of city limits. San Bernardino County has the largest amount of county land.

Sheriffs enforce the law and investigate on all county lands. In some places, sheriffs also run local police for incorporated cities (by contract). In most places, cities do not have jails, only counties do (and in some cases, it's in the next county). So Sheriffs typically run jails, perform medical examinations, take crime scene photos (even within city limits), run larger crime labs, and...have better training. I taught at a Sheriff's academy for several years. The amount of training needed to be an entry level Sheriff's deputy was quite high, but where I grew up, the city police didn't require any training at all. In fact, it was and still is the case that it's the people you know who get you a job in my California home town.

Unincorporated land, state land, federal land, unincorporated settlements - the 911 calls typically go to the Sheriff. Some federal lands (big National Parks) have their own LE, but still work very closely with the Sheriff from the surrounding area.

So, the City of Los Angeles (as an example) as its own police force, so does the City of Beverly Hills (and so on). But all the land that's not part of a city...LE is the LA County Sheriff.

Not sure how San Bernardino works, but I think the City of San Bernardino may contract with the Sheriff.

So you could be in a police station in, say, Simi Valley, and it would be run by the Sheriff as a substation, or you could be in a police station in Los Angeles and it would be run by City police.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam