GUILTY TX - Belinda Temple, 30, pregnant, Katy, 11 Jan 1999 *Guilty again in 2023*

I simply cannot imagine the judge setting bond for a convicted murderer. I understand he was given bond when the first conviction was reversed on appeal, which makes sense. At that point, he was only an accused murderer. A jury of his peers has now found him guilty of killing his wife and unborn child. How in the world would bond be appropriate?

Recent comments offered by Murray Newman Law:

A jury that convicts but then deadlocks over punishment is not unheard of, but it is fairly uncommon. Since Temple was convicted of a 1999 murder, the law of 1999 applies to the case. Back then a person could receive probation for murder, so Temple could technically receive it, as well. Due to this, there is apparently an argument to be made that Temple could be placed on bond while awaiting his punishment.

If 178th District Court Judge Kelli Johnson elects to give Temple a bond, she will doubtlessly consider the brutality of the case, how many jurors wanted Life for Temple, and the fact that when released from jail in 2016, Temple vowed "for the people that lied and cheated who put me there to be held accountable." Texas Attorney General Prosecutors Lisa Tanner and Bill Turner will likely point out that these combined factors make Temple a high flight risk with a revenge agenda who has nothing to lose.

Life at the Harris County Criminal Justice Center: Temple Trial Takeaways

Although this is history now, some might be interested in what the media order contained which was ordered and signed by State District Court Judge Kelli Johnson.

Ordered and signed by State District Court Judge Kelli Johnson - Harris County, TX on 7/3/19 - Court #178

2nd Amended State v Temple

Second Amended Order Imposing Rules For Media Coverage

Source: Office of Harris County District Clerk - Harris County, Houston, TX - pdf File

https://www.justex.net/JustexDocuments/0/2nd Amended State v Temple.pdf

Last edited:
As many know, Andy Kahan is the Director of Victim Services and Advocacy - Crime Stoppers of Houston, TX.

The following is a post on Andy Kahan's personal Facebook page.

8/19/19

Andy Kahan
3 hrs ·
David Temple Bond Hearing Update:

Bond hearing has been moved to August 30th due to conflicting schedules.

I will be appearing on KPRC CH 2 today at 5:00 and 6:00 PM to discuss the unprecedented issue of instituting a bond for a convicted 1st Degree Murderer and community concerns.

In addition, if you would like to voice your concerns over the possibility of Temple being released on Bond, please email them to me at akahan@crime-stoppers.org.

I will make sure the prosecutors receive them and hopefully the Judge will take community safety concerns into consideration for potential bail release.

Source: Facebook - Andy Kahan
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ End~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The above was "bolded" by me.

Thank you for the welcome. work and Mindhunter season 2 got in the way but I’m going to look at the information in this case.

Thanks for letting me know about the link and where to start!

Welcome! If you're new to the case, there is a TON out there to read...not a ton from his most recent trial, unfortunately...there is a lot of great information linked in the posts in this thread that are well worth the read.

You're right about RJS having a shotgun. RJS's father actually owned two shotguns. One, the one that the defense contends was the murder weapon, he had taken without permission to go shooting with his friends a week before the murder, and it was hidden under his friend's bed the day of the murder, so he did not have access to it. BOTH of those weapons were turned over to police and determined not to be the murder weapon. The buckshot wasn't the same as the ammunition used to kill Belinda either. Tons of info on all of the shotguns they looked at is here starting at page 50:
State's Objections in Kelly Seigler Case

If you keep reading, they actually talk about the kids speeding out of the neighborhood as well, beginning in the middle of page 55.

If you go on to page 64, the noise that the neighbor boys described hearing around 4:30 is discussed-another neighbor also heard it, but described it as a backfire from a car, and he actually saw the car as he was standing outside. This was at the intersection the boy's house sits on the corner of.

Lots of things about RJS seem sketchy at first glance, I agree with you. However, when you have all the facts, like both juries did, it's easy to see that it's all smoke and mirrors.

Does anyone think Temple will get bond?

I hope he does not! He's been out far too long since Belinda was murdered imo, I hope it is denied!

I certainly hope not. The two other times he got bond, he was only accused of a crime. He is now a convicted murderer. There is no reason he should be anywhere but behind bars.

I also think many people, especially Heather, the Harlans, and maybe even Kelly Siegler, have very good reason to fear for their safety if he is released on bond. He truly has nothing to lose. MOO.

Does anyone think Temple will get bond?

I hope he does not! He's been out far too long since Belinda was murdered imo, I hope it is denied!

If 178th District Court Judge Kelli Johnson elects to give Temple a bond, she will doubtlessly consider the brutality of the case, how many jurors wanted Life for Temple, and the fact that when released from jail in 2016, Temple vowed "for the people that lied and cheated who put me there to be held accountable." Texas Attorney General Prosecutors Lisa Tanner and Bill Turner will likely point out that these combined factors make Temple a high flight risk with a revenge agenda who has nothing to lose.

Not a chance.

He’s been convicted of this brutal crime twice.

I can't imagine him being given bond, now being convicted (again) he's an enormous flight risk, as well as a danger to those who helped gain that conviction. Killing a woman and her unborn baby, in Texas no less, he's lucky he's not heading to death row.

Thanks for the head's up on the date change, Ann!

I certainly hope not. The two other times he got bond, he was only accused of a crime. He is now a convicted murderer. There is no reason he should be anywhere but behind bars.

I also think many people, especially Heather, the Harlans, and maybe even Kelly Siegler, have very good reason to fear for their safety if he is released on bond. He truly has nothing to lose. MOO.

Couldn't agree more. That's how it SHOULD be but imo Temple never should have had his first conviction thrown out, Gist was terrible. I get the sick feeling that somehow Temple's defense has influence on public officials. I hope I'm wrong.

Source: Andy Kahan - Crime Stoppers of Houston (Facebook)
“Temple bond hearing Update:
As of date, I have received 106 letters from concerned citizens regarding the potential bail release of two time convicted murderer David Temple.”
“Bail hearing is scheduled for today Friday morning at 11:00 am in Judge Johnson’s Court, 16th floor of the Harris County Criminal Justice Center, 1201 Franklin.
On behalf of Belinda’s Family we deeply appreciate all your support.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back