CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Possible reason LE might not release photos from that day:

If this is an abduction scenario LE would need to verify should they or RT be contacted for ransom or other. By withholding photos taken that day that include images of BT the person(s) contacting LE would have to prove they have knowledge of BT by describing exactly her attire and whatever she may have been carrying with her. This method avoids wasting time with hoax callers.
Emph. mine

Wonder if any ransom demands have been made yet ?
LE or RT should have already been contacted by now if that's the case.
Seems like too much time has passed for that.

Maybe any photos were taken from a distance and are even less informative than the photo which has been made available? Or maybe they're intimate photos and likewise uninformative? I have no idea, but LE appears to think that it wouldn't be helpful to release any photos that might've been taken. JMO
Yes, I'm thinking that they were probably all landscape shots focused on the scenery, with Barbara only an incidental figure. So none of them show her in any more detail than the one we've seen, and it was the best of the bunch in that respect.

Not much. All counties in California have a Sheriff (I believe they are all elected). Cities, OTOH, can have police departments that have sole jurisdiction/first jurisdiction within city limits. Except for San Francisco County, all counties have land that's outside of city limits. San Bernardino County has the largest amount of county land.

Sheriffs enforce the law and investigate on all county lands. In some places, sheriffs also run local police for incorporated cities (by contract). In most places, cities do not have jails, only counties do (and in some cases, it's in the next county). So Sheriffs typically run jails, perform medical examinations, take crime scene photos (even within city limits), run larger crime labs, and...have better training. I taught at a Sheriff's academy for several years. The amount of training needed to be an entry level Sheriff's deputy was quite high, but where I grew up, the city police didn't require any training at all. In fact, it was and still is the case that it's the people you know who get you a job in my California home town.

Unincorporated land, state land, federal land, unincorporated settlements - the 911 calls typically go to the Sheriff. Some federal lands (big National Parks) have their own LE, but still work very closely with the Sheriff from the surrounding area.

So, the City of Los Angeles (as an example) as its own police force, so does the City of Beverly Hills (and so on). But all the land that's not part of a city...LE is the LA County Sheriff.

Not sure how San Bernardino works, but I think the City of San Bernardino may contract with the Sheriff.

So you could be in a police station in, say, Simi Valley, and it would be run by the Sheriff as a substation, or you could be in a police station in Los Angeles and it would be run by City police.
Sab Bernardino County contracts with the sheriff department.

What more likely scenarios are you referencing? TIA

I've mentioned a few before, so have others. Right now, I'm not going to speculate and risk breaking TOS.

Also, I didn't say more likely. I just said likely. You had your scenarios, others have other scenarios.

Death by misadventure is probably the most likely going just on statistics about the desert. She would have had to wander, lost, outside the fairly large search radius (but if she did and went under brush to seek shade, the helicopter wouldn't see her). People without water in temps of 105F have been known to walk up to 5 miles in a meandering pattern while suffering from heat stroke (but it's very very rare - so unlikely).

She would have had to have not heard the cars on the road, not heard RT's shouts for her attention, not heard the searchers, etc. Her sense of direction would have had to have been seriously impaired. Since the search vehicles could be seen from many points in the general area, she would have had to have gone fairly quickly in a direction away from the RV.

Sheriffs & Police?
can anyone with firsthand knowledge explain what differentiates a police station from a sheriffs office?
Hello @dbdb11 :)
If you have a question about specific county sheriff, you might also search that sheriffs webpage. Ditto for any city police dept. Or is your question more about the physical facilities of these officials?

Duties, authority, etc differ somewhat from one state to another, but this may help:

California[edit]

In California, a sheriff is an elected official and the chief law enforcement officer in any given county. The sheriff's department of each county polices unincorporated areas (areas of the county that do not lie within the jurisdiction of a police department of an incorporated municipality). As such, the sheriff and his or her deputies in rural areas and unincorporated municipalities are equivalent to police officers in the cities. The sheriff's department may also provide policing services to incorporated cities by contract (see contract city). Sheriff's departments in California are also responsible for enforcing criminal law on Native American tribal land, as prescribed by Public Law 280, which was enacted in 1953. The law transferred the responsibility of criminal law enforcement on tribal land from the federal government to state governments in specified states.
All
peace officers in California are able to exercise their police powers anywhere in the state, on or off duty, regardless of county or municipal boundaries, thus California sheriffs and their deputies have full police powers in incorporated and unincorporated municipalities, outside their own counties, and on state freeways and interstates.
Much more Sheriffs in the United States - Wikipedia
AND
Municipal police range from one-officer agencies (sometimes still called the town marshal) to the 40,000 person-strong New York City Police Department. Most municipal agencies take the form (Municipality Name) Police Department. Most municipalities have their own police departments.
Metropolitan departments, such as the
Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department, have jurisdiction covering multiple communities and municipalities, often over a wide area typically share geographical boundaries within one or more cities or counties. Metropolitan departments have usually been formed by a merger between local agencies, typically several local police departments and often the local sheriff's department or office, in efforts to provide greater efficiency by centralizing command and resources and to resolve jurisdictional problems, often in communities experiencing rapid population growth and urban sprawl, or in neighboring communities too small to afford individual police departments. Some county sheriff's departments, such as the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, are contracted to provide full police services to local cities within their counties.

much more
Law enforcement in the United States - Wikipedia

Sab Bernardino County contracts with the sheriff department.

The Sheriff's department is part of SB County's governance and constitution. The officers hired do have a contract.

But I was referring to the fact that some police are actual sheriffs (subcontracted, I guess would be the better word, if we're going to be precise).

There's no such thing as simply getting another Sheriff's department by contracting with a private or public LE agency. The Sheriff must be elected and that's part of county governance in all 58 California counties (I think it's state law).

“Kapua said:
Excellent observation. From day 1, nobody has been looking for RT, only BT. Maybe someone saw him, but not her. I want to know if someone saw him in the period of time that he was allegedly frantically searching for her. Did he flag down any passing cars? Did anyone see him on his way back to the road to see if she was in the RV? Etc.
MOO”

This is such a great point and I meant to respond earlier. You’re right, RT didn’t mention in his interviews that he flagged down any passing cars. Possibly that info was left out of the interviews or maybe LE knows whether he did or not. Did he try to stop traffic & encourage/solicit any help? That would definitely be upsetting to many passers by, to encounter a terribly worried older man, alone in the desert, searching for his wife who just disappeared into thin air when she turned the corner.

That would definitely stick in everyone’s minds after encountering him. If it were me he approached for help I would be scanning the desert the whole way home if asked to watch out for BT, most definitely in the desert because it’s so freakin dangerous.

ETA And u would (or I would) expect numerous calls to LE reporting these encounters. Just a thought.

All peace officers in California are able to exercise their police powers anywhere in the state, on or off duty, regardless of county or municipal boundaries, thus California sheriffs and their deputies have full police powers in incorporated and unincorporated municipalities, outside their own counties, and on state freeways and interstates

Sort of true. I suppose, true in principle. But, if a sheriff's deputy from LA were to attempt to bring a service weapon into a county courthouse in Santa Barbara, that wouldn't happen.

And in real life, if a Sheriff is in my city (I live near the jail), his/her actions are limited by agreement between our Sheriff and the Chiefs of Police in the municipal sector to transporting prisoners and they do not enforce traffic unless there is an immediate threat to life or limb. All kinds of reasons for it...

IOW, this ability is heavily limited by what the Chief of Police or the Sheriff actually says their employees must do.

This keeps us from having even more high speed chases (involving civilian vehicles, which used to happen) than we do. It also keeps police from getting themselves killed by their fellow officers while off duty. So, where I live, the CHP just do traffic and unless the offense is super egregious, they do not do stale red lights or people parked too far from the curb...that's all municipal. And by agreement among the various chiefs (who have agreements and plans that are constantly reviewed.

Not exactly the same situation, but it does give a bit of hope, sort of.
Interesting at minimum.
Biker finds missing Sparks woman in Mojave desert
Amateur opinion and speculation
@rosesfromangels :) Thx for your post and link.
Agreeing re hope 'sort of,' but only an iota.
Age 73, found after 7 days in Mojave Nat'tl Preserve, near Nipton CA.
And she had protection of an auto, may have had water/other beverage in car.
Article was from first wk of December in 2015, so presumably much cooler weather.
Average temperatures (info for Primm NV, ~12 mi from Nipton CA*):
Nov hi 66F, mean 56, low 45. Dec hi 55, mean 46 low 36.
Waaay different.

--------------------------
*Primm, Nevada - Wikipedia , footnote 5 links to Wunderground.

Last edited:
Didn't the missing persons statement desribe her as wearing her bra and underwear? Maybe they didn't feel it was appropriate to release those pictures. Imo
Maybe, but the picture they did use (it was taken years earlier?) had her wearing a bra. And if there was a current picture of her in the same outfit, they could crop the photo so her underwear didn't show. There's a reason they/he are using the old picture. It perfectly matches what RT says she was wearing that day. And why they are not using a current pic of BT is because imo she was wearing the clothes she left home in. JMO

How can anyone go out hiking in 126 temp?! I have been in 117 temps and could not get out of my air conditioned car it was so intense.

I think the 126 degrees has to do with the sun on the rocks. I doubt it was that temperature when they started out. Really tragic!

"The sun was reflecting on the rocks and the rocks were about 126-130 degrees," Lopez said.

According to PSMP-SAR, the ambient air temperature on the mountain was 126.4°F when the family was rescued.

Young mother dies after hiking in excessive heat

“Kapua said:
Excellent observation. From day 1, nobody has been looking for RT, only BT. Maybe someone saw him, but not her. I want to know if someone saw him in the period of time that he was allegedly frantically searching for her. Did he flag down any passing cars? Did anyone see him on his way back to the road to see if she was in the RV? Etc.
MOO”

This is such a great point and I meant to respond earlier. You’re right, RT didn’t mention in his interviews that he flagged down any passing cars. Possibly that info was left out of the interviews or maybe LE knows whether he did or not. Did he try to stop traffic & encourage/solicit any help? That would definitely be upsetting to many passers by, to encounter a terribly worried older man, alone in the desert, searching for his wife who just disappeared into thin air when she turned the corner.

That would definitely stick in everyone’s minds after encountering him. If it were me he approached for help I would be scanning the desert the whole way home if asked to watch out for BT, most definitely in the desert because it’s so freakin dangerous.

ETA And u would (or I would) expect numerous calls to LE reporting these encounters. Just a thought.
Emph. mine

Ita.
Bumping this post as it's a great question !
From the interviews, RT had yelled or hollered for Barbara and 'waved his arms'.
Afaik -- he didn't mention flagging down cars.
But it sounds like there's road traffic ; as he thought maybe someone had abducted her as she crossed the highway ?

Last edited:
Maybe, but the picture they did use (it was taken years earlier?) had her wearing a bra. And if there was a current picture of her in the same outfit, they could crop the photo so her underwear didn't show. There's a reason they/he are using the old picture. It perfectly matches what RT says she was wearing that day. And why they are not using a current pic of BT is because imo she was wearing the clothes she left home in. JMO
I think it has been established that it is NOT an old picture.

I think it has been established that it is NOT an old picture.

I understand that the VI has stated that he was told that LE had pictures of BT which were taken on the same day she disappeared.
I didn't realize it had been established that the photo showing her wearing a black bra/bikini top and a red cap had been taken the day she disappeared.

Last edited:
The Law As Written and TWIAWIRL?
Sort of true. I suppose, true in principle....
And in real life, if a Sheriff is in my city (I live near the jail), his/her actions are limited by agreement between our Sheriff and the Chiefs of Police in the municipal sector to transporting prisoners and they do not enforce traffic unless there is an immediate threat to life or limb. All kinds of reasons for it...
IOW, this ability is heavily limited by what the Chief of Police or the Sheriff actually says their employees must do....

@10ofRods :) Thx for your post. ^sbm for focus.
Italicized text in my post was not my opinion, idea, or theory; it quoted verbatim from wiki summary (linked in post) on the subject - California Law.
So yeah, like you said re ^, "Sort of true. I suppose, true in principal." bbm
And I have no reason to disagree w your description of The Way It Actually Works in Real Life.

Often a wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide gap between the Law As Written and TWIAWIRL.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021