CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe, but the picture they did use (it was taken years earlier?) had her wearing a bra. And if there was a current picture of her in the same outfit, they could crop the photo so her underwear didn't show. There's a reason they/he are using the old picture. It perfectly matches what RT says she was wearing that day. And why they are not using a current pic of BT is because imo she was wearing the clothes she left home in. JMO
BBM

Re. bolded bit; the photo with the red hat and top portion of her black swimsuit was taken two years previously.
It was uploaded more recently to the missing posters.

From the first thread to this one, the clothing description has altered somewhat.
From other photos, I think she was comfortable wearing a bikini.
At some point the clothing description was a 'black bra and underwear'.
Wonder -- was this an erroneous description based off the first one ... of the black bikini ?

And at some point in thread # 4, there was a description of a black bikini top and shorts.
So which was it ? (Not directing this question at you, Razz :p )

The description of the boots was important-- imo-- as what if someone found one of her boots in that desert -- maybe torn or flattened and dusty-- and didn't understand it's significance ?
The photos taken of her that specific day wouldn't have to be released, just some similar photos to give people an idea of what to go on.

I understand that the VI has stated that he was told that LE had pictures of BT which were taken on the same day she disappeared.
I didn't realize it had been established that the photo showing her wearing a black bra/bikini top and a red cap had been taken the day she disappeared.
BBM
Good question, rkendmar.^^^

It has not-- I'd asked about the photo with the red cap and upper part of the bikini top and some replied that it was taken two years ago but recently upload for the missing posters ---as this was what Barbara was wearing --according to RT's words in msm.

If the source for stating that the photo was taken in 2017 is the date on the metadata, that is not correct. That date relates to the device, not the photo.

I thought, though I may be wrong, that the VI had confirmed that the photo was taken on the day Barbara went missing. I don't mean in very recent posts, but earlier, so I may have misremembered.

BBM

Re. bolded bit; the photo with the red hat and top portion of her black swimsuit was taken two years previously.

From the first thread to this one, the clothing description has altered somewhat.
Wonder -- was this an erroneous description based off the first one ... of the black bikini ?

And at some point in thread # 4, there was a description of a black bikini top and shorts.

The description of the boots was important-- imo-- as what if someone found one of her boots in that desert -- maybe torn or flattened and dusty-- and didn't understand it's significance ?
The photos taken of her that specific day wouldn't have to be released, just some similar photos to give people an idea of what to go on.
If there is a pic of her in the bra and undies and was taken that day, I want to see that one! I don't want to see a 2 year old photo. And my reason being....
maybe she was never in that outfit. JMO but I think the pictures taken that day at that site (if we believe what le told our VI) was taken in the clothes she left home in. And they wouldn't use those pics because it doesn't match what RT said she was wearing that day.

@rosesfromangels :) Thx for your post and link.
Agreeing re hope 'sort of,' but only an iota.
Age 73, found after 7 days in Mojave Nat'tl Preserve, near Nipton CA.
And she had protection of an auto, may have had water/other beverage in car.
Article was from first wk of December in 2015, so presumably much cooler weather.
Average temperatures (info for Primm NV, ~12 mi from Nipton CA*):
Nov hi 66F, mean 56, low 45. Dec hi 55, mean 46 low 36.
Waaay different.

--------------------------
*Primm, Nevada - Wikipedia , footnote 5 links to Wunderground.

Quote of article:
"The first thing he did was offer her water, which she quickly drank, he said. Scolari told Walker she had found a pipe with clear water coming out of it and had been sipping from a yogurt cup, Walker said. She also told him she was running the car heater at night.

“I wouldn’t say desolate is the right word for it… but there are no people, and there’s a couple of mining claims out there,” Walker said of the area. “That’s where she was able to find the water.”"

This is in the Nipton area, north east about 60 miles from where Barbara's situation was. But what I found interesting was that she found water at a mining claim. Wow. And don't trust the GPS.

Quote of article:
"The first thing he did was offer her water, which she quickly drank, he said. Scolari told Walker she had found a pipe with clear water coming out of it and had been sipping from a yogurt cup, Walker said. She also told him she was running the car heater at night.

“I wouldn’t say desolate is the right word for it… but there are no people, and there’s a couple of mining claims out there,” Walker said of the area. “That’s where she was able to find the water.”"

This is in the Nipton area, north east about 60 miles from where Barbara's situation was. But what I found interesting was that she found water at a mining claim. Wow. And don't trust the GPS.
Yes. The mining claim caught my interest as well. This whole scenario is stuff of nightmares.

I’d like to know which one of those pictures is the most recent. When my cousin was missing we used his DL because it was a full face front without a distracting background for one of the pictures on his missing poster.

I think @dbdb11 posted some pictures taken last year (May 2018) when she visited her brother in Hong Kong.

@rkendmar @LietKynes @Razz

Here is the post by @ChuckMaureen that explained the metadata on the photo of Barbara.
CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #6

The date and time (tagged as ICC_Profile date and time) shown in the EXIF metadata of that image file is NOT the date and time when the photograph was taken... it indicates when the ICC profile used was initially created. All we may conclude from that data is the photograph was taken no earlier than that (ICC profile, assuming the profile was saved with the camera and not overridden by post-editing software) date/time and could have been taken any date/time after that.

ETA: note that if the ICC_Profile date time tag was added/modified with post-processing software it is possible the profile could have been created after the photograph was taken... this would set the ICC_Profile date time after the image was taken. Also note that in that vane, an ICC_Profile could have been created much earlier than when a photograph was taken.

IOW, the ICC_Profile date time should not be used as a reference as to when a photograph was taken.

How can anyone go out hiking in 126 temp?! I have been in 117 temps and could not get out of my air conditioned car it was so intense.

RBBM... ugh, my question is who would WANT to hike in 126 degree temperatures? That sounds absolutely miserable, and extremely dangerous as well... I would be terrified. JMO.

Last edited:
BBM

BBM

As far as I know, this has not been established. Someone on this forum thought that the metadata indicated that, but it turned out that particular date in the metadata merely implied something else had apparently been set up two years ago and that that picture had probably been taken since then. I can add some links if I find them soon.

ETA: @Cherwell just supplied the link to @ChuckMaureen's explanation, so I don't need to hunt around for links:

As far as I can tell, we don't know when the photo of BT in the red hat and black bikini-type top was taken, though given that metadata, it was probably taken within the last two years.

I agree that it would be good to have a description of the boots. JMO

Last edited:
can anyone with firsthand knowledge explain what differentiates a police station from a sheriffs office?
Where I live, the police station is within city limits on Main Street and it is the city police headquarters. The city police patrol within the city limits. Outside city limits, in the rest of the county, the sheriff's office has jurisdiction. But their headquarters also happen to be in the city and are called the sheriff's office. They are in our town's courthouse. Make sense? Sorry if not. Basically city vs. county.

Sheriffs work for the County within the state of California and Police work for the City within the state of California. Both are very similar. I worked for the County (Los Angeles) Sheriff's Department and over all the Sheriff runs on a much smaller group/team of investigators that the Police do. Quite often the Police Dept. will snub the Sheriffs Dept. in the handling of investigations, especially when both are initially involved. My experience only and I can only speak for California. MOO
To add to your post, here's something I found online:

What does the sheriff's department do?

A sheriff's deputies carry out most of the law enforcement duties while the sheriff, usually an elected official, manages their activities.
Duties of the sheriff might include:
  • Investigating complaints.
  • Emergency response.
  • Patrolling.
  • Resolving disputes.
  • Arresting suspects.
  • Criminal investigation.
  • Executing warrants.

Why are sheriffs important?

In the United States, a sheriff is an official in a county or independent city responsible for keeping the peace and enforcing the law. ... Many sheriffs have the role of a police chief, though some lead agencies with limited law enforcement duties.

How do LE's tactics add up....?

IF photos (assuming they exist), the last ones of a woman who vanishes into thin air, are not released...why?

RT was told that he was shown to be not being entirely honest on his lie detector: IF LE lied to RT, why?

They have publicly stated they do not believe BT was abducted.

LE has a tactic, they are investigating the truth of the situation.

What is the situation, given the sparse fact we know, that they suspect?

JMO
Perhaps there is something questionable, concerning or fishy about the pictures. As a result LE is not making pictures public because it might compromise the investigation.

There may be things they believe and don't believe at this time but I'm thinking they have no proof of anything as of yet so... everything remains on the table.

Sounds like the known knowns and unknown knowns and the unknown unknowns....

I'm a bit punchy & tired: watching the marx brothers Duck Soup - probably not gonna help matters...

:)

'Night folks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads