GUILTY IN - Newton County, Fem, 30 Mar 2019 - Nicole Bowen

Just commenting on that charge for AG being dismissed- maybe she is coming clean and talking about this or has knowledge of other crimes? Having to wait till November is hard. Hope Nicole's family know a bit more than us.

What do posters think is the reason for that dismissal? Any thoughts?

Trial cancelled on April 22nd. Wonder if it's significant?
Late response but, no. As a paralegal familiar with the criminal courts in Indiana, it is very normal for trials to get cancelled and continued over and over again. A lot of people who end up with public defenders ask for a speedy trial after their trial has been continued over and over again. The process getting to actually have the trial takes a long time, all the while they may be in jail.

100% agree. Thank you for such a logical comment. moo
Ted Bundy's mom defended him until the end. She heard his confessions and continued to defend his innocence. This guy's family may care for him a great deal, I don't think that we can say for sure they didn't. And drug addiction does not always equate violence and murder. I'm sure his family and friends knew him as a lot of things, but it's a pretty big jump from general piece of crap human being to murderer. It is clear from his past that he makes bad choices, but this could be very shocking to people who knew him. Or not. Just my opinion, of course.

Ted Bundy's mom defended him until the end. She heard his confessions and continued to defend his innocence. This guy's family may care for him a great deal, I don't think that we can say for sure they didn't. And drug addiction does not always equate violence and murder. I'm sure his family and friends knew him as a lot of things, but it's a pretty big jump from general piece of crap human being to murderer. It is clear from his past that he makes bad choices, but this could be very shocking to people who knew him. Or not. Just my opinion, of course.
Welcome to WS doubleo. GK had a prior strangulation case pending against him so it may not have been completely unexpected to those who knew him,perhaps. However the brutality and savagery of the murder of a young mother of two must have come as a great shock to his acquaintances, as it certainly has to complete strangers here on WS. The acquaintances of those accused with him must also be shocked IMO.

Welcome to WS doubleo. GK had a prior strangulation case pending against him so it may not have been completely unexpected to those who knew him,perhaps. However the brutality and savagery of the murder of a young mother of two must have come as a great shock to his acquaintances, as it certainly has to complete strangers here on WS. The acquaintances of those accused with him must also be shocked IMO.
Perhaps one motive for him strangling NB with others to witness it: to show them his brutality, to keep THEM Shut Up, also?

Bringing forward his mugshot from 2017 again. They have all changed a lot haven't they?

GARETT KIRTS

garett-kirts-arrested-in-boone-indiana-03-27-2017.jpg
i wish this had a 'WOW' button the moment i saw this it looked like it could be the bridge guy

Newton County Sheriff's Office

This is the LE facebook post from the beginning of this case and it makes me realise that GK is the youngest of all 5 yet none of the others stepped in to prevent this. What makes a 34 or 36 year old obey a 21 year old?

4-2-19 Jasmine N. Parker, 34 years old of Kentland, IN was charged for ASSISTING A CRIMINAL, level 5 Felony.
4-3-19 Ashley N. Garth, 26 years old of Delphi, IN was charged for ASSISTING A CRIMINAL, level 5 Felony.
4-5-19 Garett K. Kirts charged with MURDER, Felony charge. Kirts is now in the Newton County Jail being held without bond.
A warrant has been issued and is outstanding for Christopher (Chris) Channing Mathis, 27 years old of Kentland for ASSISTING A CRIMINAL, level 5 Felony.

(Mathis and Talitha A. Beckley, 36 were arrested at a later date than the other 3)

Last edited:
Newton County Sheriff's Office

This is the LE facebook post from the beginning of this case and it makes me realise that GK is the youngest of all 5 yet none of the others stepped in to prevent this. What makes a 34 or 36 year old obey a 21 year old?

4-2-19 Jasmine N. Parker, 34 years old of Kentland, IN was charged for ASSISTING A CRIMINAL, level 5 Felony.
4-3-19 Ashley N. Garth, 26 years old of Delphi, IN was charged for ASSISTING A CRIMINAL, level 5 Felony.
4-5-19 Garett K. Kirts charged with MURDER, Felony charge. Kirts is now in the Newton County Jail being held without bond.
A warrant has been issued and is outstanding for Christopher (Chris) Channing Mathis, 27 years old of Kentland for ASSISTING A CRIMINAL, level 5 Felony.

(Mathis and Talitha A. Beckley, 36 were arrested at a later date than the other 3)

BBM

He must be very scary with a quick and violent temper. He's a pretty bulky dude too most of the time. Just a guess but great question.

Well this is strange... on Kirts' court site - it lists this - the only case against him.

Charges
Show all charge details
35-42-2-9(c)/F6: Strangulation
35-42-2-1.3(a)(1)/MA: Domestic Battery

Bonds
Show all bond details
Carroll Cash Bond - $500.00

Case opened as a new Filing:
01/21/2019 Me: How can they file charges in January, when she went missing in March???

Me: My last motions hearing was on 6/12, 7/10 and then mentioned Omnibus hearing on 11/22. Not seeing ANY of these dates below.

Chronological Case Summary:
05/23/2019 Status Conference
Session: 05/23/2019 1:00 PM, Judicial Officer: Fouts, Kurtis
Comment:***COUNSEL ONLY***
Result: Commenced and concluded

05/28/2019 Hearing Scheduling Activity
Pretrial Conference scheduled for 09/09/2019 at 9:00 AM.
05/28/2019 Hearing Scheduling Activity
Jury Trial scheduled for 09/23/2019 at 9:00 AM.
05/28/2019 Order Issued
Status Order
Judicial Officer: Fouts, Kurtis
Noticed: McLeland, Nicholas Charles
Noticed: Phillips, Christina Marie
Order Signed: 05/23/2019

05/29/2019 Automated ENotice Issued to Parties
Order Issued ---- 5/28/2019 : Christina Marie Phillips;Nicholas Charles McLeland

09/09/2019 Pretrial Conference
Session: 09/09/2019 9:00 AM, Judicial Officer: Fouts, Kurtis

09/23/2019 Jury Trial
Session: 09/23/2019 9:00 AM, Judicial Officer: Fouts, Kurtis

link: Case Search - MyCase

and this is the only case shown.... what am I missing here??

Looked up the others in this case:

Parker, Jasmine Nicole - NO open cases. And on the "Decided" ones, no mention of "felony count of assisting a criminal".
Garth, Ashley N. - same here as above.
Mathis, Christopher Channing - same here.
Beckley, Talitha A. - same here.

74x46px-LL-59c83b81_question-marks.gif

Still not finding this "new" case for Kirts - at least it is not in the Indiana Court site. I know they others are due on 11/22, and wondering if Kirts is on the same date?

Anyone know? TIA! :)

edited to add - oh now I remember - they are in a different system....
Bumping @Niner
a reminder that Newton County do not use Odyssey system so they are not in the Mycase records. :)

ETA the January case was a separate strangulation assault - we don't know who the victim was.

Oh okay tresir! Thanks for the info! :)

Thanks ilovechili! I'd probably do MORE than 6 searches per month! LOL! I'll just keep Tippy Lynn's name on this case for reference! :D

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back