Found Deceased Malaysia - Nora Quoirin, 15, from UK, special needs, missing on vacation, Seremban, 4 Aug 2019 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just so you know, in the Uk we would call dyscalculia, dyslexia etc Specific learning difficulties.

Just so you know, in the UK we would call dyscalculia, dyslexia etc Specific learning difficulties.

Just so you know, in the UK we would call dyscalculia, dyslexia etc Specific learning difficulties or SLD.
Thank you! What would they classify her disorder as?
Here it would be classified as "Other Health Impaired." Imo

Just so you know, in the Uk we would call dyscalculia, dyslexia etc Specific learning difficulties.

Just so you know, in the UK we would call dyscalculia, dyslexia etc Specific learning difficulties.

Just so you know, in the UK we would call dyscalculia, dyslexia etc Specific learning difficulties or SLD.

Hence why my post has upside down , re dyslexia etc, Il'l leave it as an example :)

Close to Berembun river, but not close to Berembun waterfall.
If it was Nora who was swimming/bathing next to the road, then she was far from the waterfall.
The sighting was on Sunday 7pm?
Yes, this witness reported a "white woman" swimming in the river on Sunday Aug 4, when he was on the trail above the river. I can't find a good map of the area.

So if anybody had encoutered her, there is a chance the person also avoided contact/involvement. Remember, SAR was there for 10 days so laymen may just hope she’ll be found/discovered by SAR?
Hikers, staff of nearby resorts and villagers would certainly have rescued anyone who appear to be lost in the jungle. If they didn't think she was lost, they would have quickly come forward after hearing about her. The motive you mention is not a real concern.

If she encountered a criminal, there would be signs in post-mortem exams. That was a real concern.

Did I really just read that?
I'm very confused as to why so many are insinuatung that the parents of this child are somehow unethical, immoral, and deceptive.

Did I miss something?
Are the parents somehow to blame?

The media misquotes and misinterprets statements made by parents and LE all the time. And the language barrier makes it even more difficult, as so many have pointed out.

Yet the parents have been continuously judged and criticised for taking their kids there in the first place (after all, it's such a boring place to visit) , exposing their disabled child to a dangerous environment, and now, judged because they should have put up a reward faster or they have plenty of money so why do they need to raise money for the search, etc.

I really hope if I ever lose a child, or anyone else here for that matter who is grieving after losing a child so tragically, is not subject to such public criticism and judgement after their world has fallen apart.
It's very disheartening and really a shame. I feel so sorry for this family.
I hope they are not reading here.

Flying in family members yes but the search, police, autopsy would be covered by the Malaysian government. Flying Nora’s body home would be covered by insurance.
It's so standard these days for people to launch fundraisers immediately after something tragic happens. Even if everything's been paid for, at least the family can do something with the money whether it's to give to charity or whatever they want. I'm not sure if they had taken out life insurance for her but if not, at least they have something.

No idea , I am not a Doctor but it seems Nora went to a school for those who have moderate LD.
Oh, I interpreted it as being a school for multiple disabilities.
I have never heard of physical therapy or occupational therapy being necessarily for LD students. Imo

It's so standard these days for people to launch fundraisers immediately after something tragic happens. Even if everything's been paid for, at least the family can do something with the money whether it's to give to charity or whatever they want. I'm not sure if they had taken out life insurance for her but if not, at least they have something.

I don’t believe a parent should financially benefit from their child’s death, no matter what the circumstances of their passing. It’s not like losing a spouse or partner you don’t rely on your child financially. I get funeral costs and other expenses directly linked to child’s death but certainly not accepting a lump sum of money to spend as you wish.

Perhaps they are more focused on the repatriation of their child's body
Yeah, it just might be the case that they are preoccupied with other matters right now.
I'm sure as soon as they get home they will be surrounded by loved ones, the people from their church, and others who will give them the support they need. I hope it will be of some comfort for them. They must be physically and mentally exhausted.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if some local people did see her but were too frightened to approach her. Or waited to find a woman, but by then she had run off.
The "locals" would certainly have helped anyone who appeared to be lost or in distress.

If I saw a distressed naked girl, I think I’d assume she had been sexually assaulted.
Again, the "locals" would certainly have helped any female in distress, clothed or unclothed.

The body was found by local hikers. The witness saw a white female bathing, but didn't bother her. He reported it after hearing the news.

Many students have both physical and learning difficulties.
Yes, that was my point. That's what I meant by multiple disabilities, or Multiply Handicapped, or MH. Or what is now called " Challenged." Those are the kind of students I started working with, although I also taught ED students later on.

That's why I would not think the school would only provide services for children with Learning Disabilities.
It was not mentioned that she went anywhere else for other services that's why I assumed her school was "all inclusive." Imo

Last edited:
As a mark of respect, a book of condolence is now open to the public at Magee Campus until this Friday, August 23.

The MLA for Foyle said: “My heart goes out to the Quoirin family following the tragic death of their daughter Nora in Malaysia.

“Many people around the world have been touched by the loss of young life under such tragic circumstances.

“Given the Derry connection with Nora’s parents, Meabh and Sébastien- who actually met in Derry when Meabh was a student and Sébastien a French tutor at Magee- their contemporaries still based in the North-West reached out to me, as they thought it would be appropriate if the University were to open a book of condolence in Nora’s memory.

“After speaking with Ulster University, they have kindly agreed to this request.

“The book will remain in the main hall of Magee where it is accessible to the general public until next Friday when it will be forwarded to the Quoirin family.”

Mr Durkan added that it was important that people had a chance to express their condolences in their own words at this sad time.
New Book of Condolence open at Magee campus

Yes, that's what I meant by Multiply Handicapped, or MH. Those are the kind of students I started working with, although I also taught ED students later on.

That's why I would not think the school would only provide services for children with Learning Disabilities.
It was not mentioned that she went anywhere else for other services that's why I assumed her school was "all inclusive." Imo
The school would provide a variety of things each child would be assessed on their individual needs.
speech and language,occupational therapy,different learning programmes etc

Many people set up a memorial fund so people who want to show sympathy and support to the family can.
I imagine the family will donate any unused funds to charity .

I hope so or set up a charity in Norahs memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks