Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live close enough to Charlotte, NC that we sometimes go into the city of Charlotte for dinner. I have never seen the wave at other drivers around here. I am from NY/NJ where we definitely didn't have it. I then moved to rural Wisconsin where they definitely did do it; it was even a joke between my husband and I (he's a native Wisconsinite from a small town). Charlotte and its bedroom communities are in no way rural; they are quite cosmopolitan and what I would call a metropolis for southwestern North Carolina.

Also, unrelated but a random thought. Perhaps Chynna had gotten up in the middle of the night and left the van to "potty" (sorry, can't think of a better way to say it") and K and B, driving by, saw the van and her, thinking they would rob her easily and without incident if she was alone; possibly even kidnap her. Confrontation and shooting may have taken place just outside of the van when they surprised her. A noisy struggle ensues and Lucas wakes and jumps up to see what was going on and come to Chynna's rescue. At that point, one of the teens was rifling through her pocketbook, the glove compartment, etc. and being surprised by Lucas being in the van, turned and shot at him from the front seat, blowing the back window out in the process and injuring him. Before the teens even realize what has happened they have two people on their hands who can ID them. They may have shot Chynna and Lucas in the craziness of the fray - OR - they may have stood them outside next to one another and "calmly" shot them to eliminate their being able to identify them. Lucas may have been shot in or near the gut and it would have incapacitated him, making him unable to help Chynna. Chynna may have caused such a ruckus at this point that they reacted without thinking and shot her in the manner that the media has suggested - in the head. MOO
BBM

Yeah, I'm originally from rural Western NC--though not lived there in a long time. I don't think people in Charlotte wave, but I think she may have picked it up when she was in college at Boone.

Personally, I think the fact that LF was barefoot and CD had one shoe on indicates to me that they were both in the van when BS and KM made their arrival. I think she may have been in the middle of putting on her shoes to investigate noise when they were taken by surprise.

BBM

Yeah, I'm originally from rural Western NC--though not lived there in a long time. I don't think people in Charlotte wave, but I think she may have picked it up when she was in college at Boone.
Yeah, people in Charlotte probably only wave like people around RDU wave, but she spent 4 years around Boone and Blowing Rock, and she was not a novice traveler. I doubt her travels only took her to metropolitan areas. I think she probably always had an outgoing, friendly personality, and I can easily see her picking up a friendly wave.

Last edited:
Yeah, people in Charlotte wave like people around RDU wave, but she spent 4 years around Boone and Blowing Rock, and she was not a novice traveler. I doubt her travels only took her to metropolitan areas. I think she probably always had an outgoing, friendly personality, and I can easily see her picking up a friendly wave.
Agreed! And I think the note about her personality is key. She really does seem like someone who was very friendly and outgoing.

Someone showed the auction win for the van, the date was June 20th. I'm guessing that was Lucas Fowler who bid on it? Or did he buy it from someone else? If this was in Alberta, where did he and Chynna Deese meet? And did they drive or get a ride to pick up that van for their trip?

Going from memory, but I believe the auction date was June 2018.

Lucas lived and worked in BC from Feb 2019 - July 2019. Chynna arrived in Canada on July 6 and they started their trip to Alaska on July 13. We don't know why the van had AB licence plates.

Lucas owned the van. He bought the van from someone at the ranch.

Here's the auction info.

The licence plate on the van at the time of auction is not the same as the plate on the van at the time of the murders.

CONTACT
WEAVER BROS. AUCTIONS LTD.
PO BOX 69, RYCROFT, AB, CANADA

1986 CHEV BONAVENTURE VAN - Weaver Bros. Auctions Ltd.

BLUE, GAS AUTO, 2WD, ODOMETER: 268,423 KM, VIN:2G8EG25H8G4113021, *AB REGISTERED

Last edited:
I wasn’t able to find it but I was interested in when this woman apparently called police - as she was driving by, when she got to wherever she was going or where was there cell coverage, if not immediately? Now I suspect she was misquoted by the media and she had recounted notifying police of her sighting after the discovery of the murders, not before, and that’s the reason for the edit.
Yes that is the way I always understood it from the 'git go' after the murders,

Here's the auction info.

The licence plate on the van at the time of auction is not the same as the plate on the van at the time of the murders.

CONTACT
WEAVER BROS. AUCTIONS LTD.
PO BOX 69, RYCROFT, AB, CANADA

1986 CHEV BONAVENTURE VAN - Weaver Bros. Auctions Ltd.

BLUE, GAS AUTO, 2WD, ODOMETER: 268,423 KM, VIN:2G8EG25H8G4113021, *AB REGISTERED

Prior to relocating to BC the owner of the ranch also came from Rycroft, Ab area so I think Cs brother is correct in his statement that L bought the van from the ranch.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmo...rd-winning-rancher-against-province-1.3482592

For those who missed it and were asking yesterday, here's the photo of where Kam and Bryer got the RAV stuck in Cold Lake.

Twitter

Thanks, I knew that twitter link was somewhere. It’s certainly not a photo of a field.

“It’s next to a seniors home, a soccer field, and a backyard swimming pool that’s currently entertaining 4 kids.”

One possible explanation - they noticed an RCMP vehicle cruising around and due to their paranoia they drove into what initially appeared to resemble a back alley.

They haven't said if any of the tire tracks matched with red truck. But how could there be two sets of tire tracks, if only Kam McLeod knew how to drive?

There appear to be 2 different sets of tyre tracks at LD's crime scene. I think it would be reasonably safe to assume that one set belongs to his RAV 4. There may well be identical tracks leading up to where it was burnt near Gillam.

There is also a much wider track on the right-hand side of LD's crime scene which could belong to KM's truck. Once again, there may be matching tracks leading up to where it was burnt 2 kms away. They won't get tyre tracks from either vehicle once they were burnt.

where is the picture of LD's crime scene referred to here?
ETA: I've seen the photos of the car after it was burned but it seems like you're hinting at something more

Here are 2 screengrabs from the video on p.10 #195 showing LD's crime scene and the tracks.

LD crime scene.JPG Tyre tracks - Copy.JPG

There appear to be 2 different sets of tyre tracks at LD's crime scene. I think it would be reasonably safe to assume that one set belongs to his RAV 4. There may well be identical tracks leading up to where it was burnt near Gillam.

There is also a much wider track on the right-hand side of LD's crime scene which could belong to KM's truck. Once again, there may be matching tracks leading up to where it was burnt 2 kms away. They won't get tyre tracks from either vehicle once they were burnt.

Here are 2 screengrabs from the video on p.10 #195 showing LD's crime scene and the tracks.

View attachment 198943 View attachment 198944

BBM

Oh I see what you're talking about! Very interesting. It almost looks like they drove up between LD and his vehicle maybe?

View attachment 198943 View attachment 198944

There’s shoeprints in one of those photos as well. As the RCMP has been offering support to the Port Alberni families, I think they’ve been cooperative in assisting the RCMP as well, such as what type of footwear the two took with them and details of truck tires. What a horrendous time this must be for them all.

At about 3.20 pm on Sunday, Curtis and Sandra Broughton stopped to offer help. Mr Broughton, a mechanic, offered assistance. LF said the engine was flooded and they were going to try and get it going again.

On Sunday afternoon, Carrie Hawryluk of Fort Nelson saw them. She was travelling with her two aunts and a female cousin but didn’t stop due to safety concerns but notified RCMP.

At about 8:00 pm Trevor Pierre, road worker / paramedic, saw them stopped on the side of the highway. He said his boss may have been the last person to have seen them alive.

At about 11:30 pm, Alandra Hull, Trevor Pierre’s boss, was returning to her work camp and saw a bearded man confronting the couple. They were standing next to the van and he was standing in the middle of the highway. His grey car was parked down the road facing south. She said he looked frustrated. She saw him walk towards the pair and said they looked bothered, but she got a bad feeling and didn’t stop. She later provided a statement and worked with a sketch artist to provide a composite.

I know that this account has been reported and may not be 100% word for word accurate, but it has always disturbed me that Ms. Hull "got a bad feeling," presumably so bad that she kept on driving (for her own safety?) but she did not report anything. I would not think too much, except she is Mr, Pierre's Supervisor and they call on him later to secure the scene, so it makes me think that the road workers often work with the RCMP to report incidents, accidents, etc. especially in these remote areas. Or maybe it was only the next morning that she realized how bad a feeling it had been? I also ask myself if LF and CD had just stayed locked in the van, if the killers would have run out of ammo before they managed to mortally wound them.

BBM

I live in western SC, about 90 minutes from Charlotte. Waving to strangers is still something that is common around here; I don't know all of my neighbors but we do wave at each other (usually a raised hand, occasionally an actual formal wave) if we happen to be at the mailbox or driving by each other's homes and see each other outside. It's just a sign of courtesy and an attempt to be friendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea