CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
based on that photo wouldn't she have walked on what looks like the path back to the road or the RV, if that is the case and it would make sense to do so, then how could she disappear?
Listening to the back and forth here, it is interesting that her husband's media statements don't indicate that he thinks she wandered off and got lost, either.* He was very concerned about an abduction, including wanting police to question people from the parking area. Regardless, I hope that he will be able to organize and fund broader searches when it is safe to do so.

*ETA - I know posters have expressed opinions about why he would think she was abducted rather than lost - I'm just looking at what he did say, rather than an interpretation. To my knowledge, he hasn't expressed being lost as a possibility, although he did search for her when she wasn't at the RV.

Last edited:
In these threads where such little info being released from LE has us all with so many darn questions!

Going back to that awesome post from @sroad I want to highlight something here that puts another set of big question marks into this that has likely been mentioned.

I have snipped it to focus on what I want to question.

CA - CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #2

"My phone did not work west of Kelbaker road, and barely worked a little ways east of the turnout. So likely even if she did have a phone she would not have been able to call for help."

Is this an area where cell service is very difficult to get depending on the provider, or is it 'well-known' for spotty service amongst all cell providers?

If RT didn't have cell service to make the 911 call, what distance would RT have needed to drive from where they were parked to gain service to make that emergency call?

How long was he gone if he needed to drive away from where she disappeared to make that Emergency call?

Just adding more questions I would love to have the answers to into the mix....

Listening to the back and forth here, it is interesting that her husband's media statements don't indicate that he thinks she wandered off and got lost, either.* He was very concerned about an abduction, including wanting police to question people from the parking area. Regardless, I hope that he will be able to organize and fund broader searches when it is safe to do so.

*ETA - I know posters have expressed opinions about why he would think she was abducted rather than lost - I'm just looking at what he did say, rather than an interpretation. To my knowledge, he hasn't expressed being lost as a possibility, although he did search for her when she wasn't at the RV.
It's also helpful to look at what he didn't say. ;) MOO

Size of Original SAR Search Area? Modified?

@rosesfromangels :) thanks for your post, prompting me to wonder again.
dbdb11 or anyone.

How large was SAR's originally designated search area ---
- 1/4 mi x 1/2 mi or 1/3 mi +/- diameter circle ( yes, i know not geometric shapes)?
- 1/2 mi x 1 mi?
- 1 mi x 2 mi?
As days of no-evd-found passed, did SAR significantly enlarge the search area?
Then what size?

If this was released by SAR/LE, I missed it. Thx in adv.

@sroad may have the answer. BBM:

Hi all,
My wife and I spend several days camping in the area where Barbara went missing (I'm a bit of a desert rat, so did some 2.5 mile loops to search as well), and I chatted briefly with the Sheriff at their Incident Command post trailer as well as ran into some of the nice SAR folks Sunday morning who were at that time covering the eastern side of Kelbaker road, the least likely side BT would have gone as that was on the other side of Kelbaker road that they had hiked). I saw them search again east of the road with K9 units until yesterday morning (Sunday). They then suspended the search at the Kelbaker road location some time later that morning, leaving just the porta potties which were still there today. I confirmed on Saturday with the Sheriff the precise location where the Thompsons had parked their 5th Wheel, the same location they had set up. I'll try posting Google Earth pics and pics of the environment if anyone is interested. It was NOT 20 miles north of I40 like the reports says and like the speculation on this thread and all over social media goes, (the media everywhere repeated or regurgitated this over 10 days without fact checking). The location is 6.3 miles north of the I-40 in a large turnout that can accommodate a Dually and 5th Wheel. There is a nonmotorized trail directly opposite of that turnout that leads to the closest rock formations which contain lots of nooks and crannies which you can see were searched by the SARS folks. Folks in this thread (haven't been able to read all of it) are asking about cell service. My phone did not work west of Kelbaker road, and barely worked a little ways east of the turnout. So likely even if she did have a phone she would not have been able to call for help. The road generates a lot of noise (it seemed to average about a car every few minutes) and could easily be heard from half a mile away. The Incident Command Trailer was about as large as the trailer the Thompsons had and large enough to stick out over the mostly creosote vegetation, so you would have been able to see it with the naked eye from a mile away from most directions provided you got up on a bit higher ground, like a small hill side or rock. It is true that there are plenty of bends on the nonmotorized trail leading to the rock formations ("rounding a corner" is a figure of speech in this case) in the dirt road they allegedly took to get to the rock formations. There is a pole line dirt road that intersects it perpendicularly. So it would be fairly easy to lose sight of each other even within a few hundred feet behind the creosotes. The temps where in the 90's up there this weekend, due to the higher 3800 foot elevation. There are tons of places to seek shade there, gullies, rock formations, boulders with openings and cracks, pines and dense thickets. The search area was marked with flagging for several square miles. I've also included a map I drew of a plausible hike that is a round trip a little over a mile that goes to the nearest rock formation. It's possible they went to the next rock formation, but if you're hiking around noon time in the upper 90's and drinking dehydrating alcohol, I don't think you can do much more than 2 miles before calling it good.

CA - CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #2

People are very hard to find outside even when the terrain is flat and there is little to no cover. I don't understand, it but I have seen enough cases on this board of people being found 2000-3000 feet from where they were last spotted! ...sometimes days or weeks later after "exhaustive" searches. These people were a bit farther than that but they had hiked on a lava field! Flat, mostly featureless and almost no cover what-so-ever.

She absolutely could be lost there, she absolutely could be right where the searchers already looked.

Missing hiker's remains found after 'thousands of hours searching'
Yes, I have heard so many stories where people have seemingly vanished in these kinds of environments and were later found where people had searched or were never found at all.
Yet so many seemed convinced that they would have found Barbara if she had really gotten lost that fast.
It's a mystery. Imo

based on that photo wouldn't she have walked on what looks like the path back to the road or the RV, if that is the case and it would make sense to do so, then how could she disappear?

You can see two other trails (heading to the dry creek bed) leading off the main trail. Early on in this story, one report said that RT was heading to a "dry lake" to take a few more pictures. I think this was in error, but that RT likely headed on one of the two small trails you see heading (to the top of the picture) to the dry creek bed. If Barbara followed him a bit before giving up and going back to the RV, she would have had to make a hard left onto the main trail.

If it was the second spur trail that RT was taking down to the creek (the one closest to the parking), then if Barbara headed back and didn't take that hard left, but instead remembered only that they'd gone a mile or more in a straight direction, she might have continued straight. The other trail heads south (to the right in the picture) and runs parallel to the road for over a mile.

That would be one easy way to get lost. She would have eventually emerged onto the road, some 1.2 miles south of where their RV was and probably been pretty anxious or even panicky not to see the RV.

That's assuming she had enough energy to continue walking for a mile. While RT mentions he was carrying water, he never mentions that she drank any. It would have been so great if he'd given a reporter (preferably a local reporter) a complete story of what happened on that hike. That way, volunteers could more easily go back and do a better search.

I believe the parking lot is the Providence Mountains State Recreation Area. If you look it up on Google, and look at the photos around there, or just zoom in,you'll see images of the square parking lot (sorry my tech skills are not good enough to post the photos I found, maybe someone else can). Now, where would you need to be, to get a photo that would have that parking lot in it? Not sure. Might validate the theory that the 360 degree photo was taken earlier in the day from another location? Could they have gotten high enough, in a 1 mile walk, to view that side of the mountain from where RT says they were parked? And if a car was parked at that parking lot, how long would it take to get from there to where the RV was? If the photo you are refering to was taken from near where the RV was parked, as it is linked there, maybe it would be possible to see...

Thanks for the thought. As @Cherwell mentioned, the parking lot that @slowpoke and I posted about is just off Kelbaker Road; it may be visible from the walk RT described, though I'm not sure it was the lot that RT said was visible in a 360 from a hill.

To look down on the parking area in the Providence Mountains State Recreation area, you'd have to be up in the Providence Mountains.
Providence Mountains - Wikipedia

I think the only paved road access to them is on Essex Road, which can be seen in the Google Street View below. But then the mountains would be between you and Kelbaker, and it wouldn't have made much sense for RT to tell LE they should check out the cars in that lot. For that reason, I doubt that was the parking lot he said was visible in the 360. MOO

Google Maps

Last edited:
It's also helpful to look at what he didn't say. ;) MOO

And it's possible he now thinks she could be out there, either missed by SAR or beyond the radius. We can't know because he is (wisely) not talking publicly. Actions are more important anyway, which is why I hope those close to him are helping him get more searches going when it's safe to do so.

All those photos show a wonderful life. All the terrific adventure gear must seem useless without her to share in the adventures. It's time to find her and bring her home. To celebrate that glowing woman, and that shared life of sun and fun.

Yes, I have heard so many stories where people have seemingly vanished in these kinds of environments and were later found where people had searched or were never found at all.
Yet so many seemed convinced that they would have found Barbara if she had really gotten lost that fast.
It's a mystery. Imo
For me, the issue is more that it sounds almost impossible for her to have gotten lost, or gone off trail without being amongst unfriendly vegetation while scantily clad (based on @sroad’s very detailed info about the visibility of the trail, the likelihood she could see the RV the whole time, etc.).

So I understand and believe that IF she had become confused and lost, she might then be overlooked. But to me it sounds like she would have had to try really hard to go off trail, given that it’s wide enough for a vehicle and very obvious to the eye (per @sroad), and in (per RT) a very small window of time.

Possibly this is why RT is so insistent about her being kidnapped; IMO he could see that it would have been very, very unlikely for her to have gotten lost.

I suspect she hasn’t been found because she really isn’t there.

And it's possible he now thinks she could be out there, either missed by SAR or beyond the radius. We can't know because he is (wisely) not talking publicly. Actions are more important anyway, which is why I hope those close to him are helping him get more searches going when it's safe to do so.

All those photos show a wonderful life. All the terrific adventure gear must seem useless without her to share in the adventures. It's time to find her and bring her home. To celebrate that glowing woman, and that shared life of sun and fun.
BBM

At the risk of offending any delicate sensibilities, I would say actions and inactions. MOO

Google Maps
This is where RT parked in my opinion and they walked that path across the road that has a pole in the middle of it. They walked to the rocks and she would have had to cross the hiway to get back to their 5th wheel.

It is a 360 photo and you can travel down the road to where the SAR trailer was parked with a turn out on the left side right next to rocks ..
jmho

"He described the moment he couldn't find his wife. "I hollered her name and I waved my arms, and I looked around the area and I saw that she wasn’t anywhere around. She didn't respond. I got really panicky," Robert said, "I feel like someone did pick her up because she was wearing a bikini, she had a beer in her hand and she was ahead of me and she had to cross that road," he said."

Last edited:
Thanks for the thought. As @Cherwell mentioned, the parking lot that @slowpoke and I posted about is just off Kelbaker Road; it may be visible from the walk RT described, though I'm not sure it was the lot that RT said was visible in a 360 from a hill.

To look down on the parking area in the Providence Mountains State Recreation area, you'd have to be up in the Providence Mountains.
Providence Mountains - Wikipedia

I think the only paved road access to them is on Essex Road, which can be seen in the Google Street View below. But then the mountains would be between you and Kelbaker, and it wouldn't have made much sense for RT to tell LE they should check out the cars in that lot. For that reason, I doubt that was the parking lot he said was visible in the 360. MOO

Google Maps
Is sroad still posting here? Did we ever ask him him that specific question about the 360 picture?

IMHO, I don't believe we have enough info about the 360 photo. IIRC, RT didn't say that the photo was taken off Kelbaker Rd - I think that's an assumption we've been making.

What if that photo was taken 20 miles away?

It seems to me that the importance of the 360 photo, at least to RT, is that he thinks someone from that lot followed them to abduct Barbara.

MOO

This is a great image created by @ChuckMaureen depicting a birds eye view of the rock formations and the trail leading to where the RV was reportedly parked.
That was a great map @ChuckMaureen created. Even if BT had gotten off the trail leading back to the trailer (but I don't see how that's possible). If she veered right she would encounter the power line access, left she could have followed the wash. IMO it would be virtually impossible to get lost out there. Not even accounting for the noise a car passing would have made. If there was a parking lot full of cars, there was surely traffic on the road. @sroads said there was a car every few minutes when he was out there and you could hear them passing from 1/2 mile in on the trail.

Back to square one, AGAIN. None of the details provided in this case make sense unless it was a straight up alien abduction.

IMHO, I don't believe we have enough info about the 360 photo. IIRC, RT didn't say that the photo was taken off Kelbaker Rd - I think that's an assumption we've been making.

It seems to me that the importance of the 360 photo, at least to RT, is that he thinks someone from that lot followed them to abduct Barbara.

MOO
True, but why wouldn't he have included details about that extra stop in his interview?

MOO
BBM
And although I haven't previously been open to this thinking, basically because what are the odds, I am considering this possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member