CA - Off Duty Police Officer shoots man and parents after altercation in Costco, Corona, June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he will be charged.
I think the video shows an execution.
Just my opinion.

I am looking forward to viewing the footage.
1. Was Sanchez actually pushed, down, while holding his child, and how long was he on the floor, unconscious?
2. What was the actual distance between Sanchez and French at the time of the shooting? Was a use of lethal force necessary?
3. Could Sanchez have walked away from the confrontation? What stopped him from doing that action?

I agree with @SoCalDavidS, Sanchez is going to get a pass on this. What makes me really frustrated, is that if the victim was black, and there were racial differences in this situation, Sanchez would have already been fired and charged.

1. Maybe.
0 minutes.

2. I’m guessing a few feet since both parents were between them.
No lethal force wasn’t required.

3. Absolutely he could have walked away. Dad was begging him not to shoot and the victims were unarmed.
What stopped him from doing that was rage.

Just my opinion.

I am looking forward to viewing the footage.
1. Was Sanchez actually pushed, down, while holding his child, and how long was he on the floor, unconscious?
2. What was the actual distance between Sanchez and French at the time of the shooting? Was a use of lethal force necessary?
3. Could Sanchez have walked away from the confrontation? What stopped him from doing that action?

I agree with @SoCalDavidS, Sanchez is going to get a pass on this. What makes me really frustrated, is that if the victim was black, and there were racial differences in this situation, Sanchez would have already been fired and charged.

There are racial differences isn’t there? I thought the victims were Indian and the shooter Hispanic.

Interesting perspective. I read now, that the judge has locked the video for a full year. The officer has not even been charged with any crimes, but the "evidence" cannot be released because the video could compromise the trial? Crazy.
IIRC, it was the Riverside DA's office that requested the court order (or whatever the legal term is) to withhold the videotape's release, because it might bias potential jurors if there was a criminal case. To me, this seems to suggest that the DA's office is leaning towards charging him and wants to ensure no potential juror is (unnecessarily) influenced before the start of the trial. On the other hand, it could be the complete opposite - that the DA's office is NOT going to charge him but know that they will get a lot of criticism for the decision, and are hoping that a year will help the shooting drop off the radar and nobody will care come next June. I tend to believe in the former possibiity rather than the latter.

Totally agree with this. My husband is blind and hearing impaired. He often bumps people, who don't notice that he has a long white cane. And he yells at people, they think he is angry. Nope, he is deaf.

I could see a situation like this at Costco, in a heartbeat, with him bumping into someone, turning, and yelling. Someone could easily say, "An angry, psycho guy knocked me down, and started yelling. I had to start shooting to protect myself.".

When, in reality, a disabled person bumped someone, their family went over to smooth things, and the shots were already fired.

That's scary to have to worry about.

IIRC, it was the Riverside DA's office that requested the court order (or whatever the legal term is) to withhold the videotape's release, because it might bias potential jurors if there was a criminal case. To me, this seems to suggest that the DA's office is leaning towards charging him and wants to ensure no potential juror is (unnecessarily) influenced before the start of the trial. On the other hand, it could be the complete opposite - that the DA's office is NOT going to charge him but know that they will get a lot of criticism for the decision, and are hoping that a year will help the shooting drop off the radar and nobody will care come next June. I tend to believe in the former possibiity rather than the latter.

I wouldn't be surprised if the "investigation" takes up to a year.

Or longer. Maybe it will all just go away. Lost files, paperwork...

Doesn't the court order state that the video "shall not be released to the public... for one year from the date of the shooting... However, the video may be released at the conclusion of the criminal investigation if no charges are filed or at the conclusion of the prosecution if a criminal case is filed." I'm taking this to mean - the video can be released on June 15, 2020 (1 year from the date of the shooting) REGARDLESS of whether there the investigation is still ongoing and/or if a criminal case has been filed. The restrictions "at the conclusion of the criminal investigation" or "conclusion of the prosecution" only apply if either of those things happens before June 15, 2020.

Or am I misreading the court order?

Doesn't the court order state that the video "shall not be released to the public... for one year from the date of the shooting... However, the video may be released at the conclusion of the criminal investigation if no charges are filed or at the conclusion of the prosecution if a criminal case is filed." I'm taking this to mean - the video can be released on June 15, 2020 (1 year from the date of the shooting) REGARDLESS of whether there the investigation is still ongoing and/or if a criminal case has been filed. The restrictions "at the conclusion of the criminal investigation" or "conclusion of the prosecution" only apply if either of those things happens before June 15, 2020.

Or am I misreading the court order?

Sure. Whatever.

Sorry to be so cavalier about it. A man was killed, and his two elderly parents were also injured. The man who shot them, has not even been charged with any crime, and he is still in his job as a uniformed law enforcement officer.

Does anyone really think that is perfectly reasonable?

They want this to go away, people to forget. Who is really going to mark this date on their calendar to follow up on in a year?

Sure. Whatever.

Sorry to be so cavalier about it. A man was killed, and his two elderly parents were also injured. The man who shot them, has not even been charged with any crime, and he is still in his job as a uniformed law enforcement officer.

They want this to go away, people to forget. Who is really going to mark this date on their calendar to follow up on in a year?
The video will eventually be released and we will see it. Websleuths and others will make sure of that. Will we see a full video? That will remain to be seen. Unfortunately, California is among the worst for slow moving cases.

Parents of man shot to death by off-duty officer in Corona Costco to speak publicly Monday – Press Enterprise

"The parents of the developmentally disabled man shot to death June 14 in the Costco in Corona will speak publicly for the first time about the incident on Monday, Aug. 26, their attorney said Friday."

The parents have survived and will be speaking at a Press Conference Monday.

Thanks for posting this - should be interesting to hear what they have to say!

I wonder if their attorney will hit LAPD with a lawsuit, after all, LAPD has not terminated this officer for his behavior, that is equivalent to supporting his response of using deadly force.

BBM. I hope so and would not be surprised one bit. But dang, that $$$ will never make this right. What an idiotic move to pull a gun and shoot in a crowded Costco. FGS. I still can’t believe he did that. Moron.

Parents of man shot to death by off-duty officer in Corona Costco to speak publicly Monday – Press Enterprise

"The parents of the developmentally disabled man shot to death June 14 in the Costco in Corona will speak publicly for the first time about the incident on Monday, Aug. 26, their attorney said Friday."

The parents have survived and will be speaking at a Press Conference Monday.

I hope this is more than just the loss of their son... I hope it explains how it all went down. I'm afraid it won't for legal reasons but I hope it does. Because I think public outrage would drastically increase.

Sure. Whatever.

I already have.

According to a statement released Friday by the French family, both Russell and Paola tried to deescalate the situation by pleading with the officer not to shoot their son, and informed the officer that Kenneth suffered from an intellectual disability.

Parents of Corona Costco shooting victim demand answers, surveillance video to be released

Russell and Paola French will discuss at a news conference in Corona the shooting, their recovery from their own injuries and their belief that the off-duty officer who used deadly force should be prosecuted, a news release from Woodland Hills-based attorney Dale K. Galipo said.

----------------------------------------------

The attorney also said he planned to file a claim against the city of Los Angeles and Officer Salvador Sanchez. Such claims are legally required precursors to lawsuits. Galipo’s office said it will make that claim public Monday.

------------------------------------------------

Galipo’s release Friday said Sanchez provided no warning that he was going to use deadly force and that the parents were shot in the back as they tried to de-escalate the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member