The British Royal Family - news, views, clothes & shoes! #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if for nothing else I feel paying my £1:24(?) is worth it for this thread alone :D

I am sure your £1.24 contribution is helping to pay for the upkeep of the royal collection of tiaras. I do wonder if people could opt out of paying £1.24 each to the royals a year how many of the U.K population would do so. I don’t begrudge giving £1.24 for the royals it’s the £154.50 a year for a tv license that drives me nuts. I don’t watch the BBC and hate paying towards it but you are forced to pay for it.

I remember as a kid during the energy crisis Jimmy Carter saying that tonight his family was going to have dinner under candlelight. Everyone knew that was crap but that's what most celebrities do. There not about caring for social issues but the image of caring about social issues.

I think a trip to the Carter’s home in Georgia would be eye opening.He lives very simply and can be seen walking around town talking with residents and tourists. He seems to be a wonderful humble man.

LOL "the color of muddy sheep that got stuck in a bank of ferns"

Yeah the pattern's the same but that's the main reason for why the various colour ranges, due to whatever 'dye' would become available over time.
These are generally called Ancient, Modern, Weathered options
Scottish Tartan FAQ | VisitScotland

Then you've got practicality... :p
You have the 'dress' or 'hunting' option

And that's only the very basics :D

These's are good articles with some history & background explained in a nice, easy to understand way

*ETA - I hasn't even thought about the different meaning of some words in American or British 'English' :confused:
True Kilts: Debunking the Myths About Highlanders and Clan Tartans
True Kilts: Debunking the Myths About Highlanders and Clan Tartans | Collectors Weekly
https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofScotland/The-History-of-Tartan/

Speaking of tartans...When I was about 13 in 1959 our doorbell rang one day and standing on our porch was a distant Scottish cousin from Aberdeen, wearing a kilt and oh-so-handsome! I melted as only a thirteen-year-old will. We weren’t expecting him as I recall, but we made him welcome and he stayed with us for several days. He was about 21 and had arrived by freighter in Canada and traveled by train in a cattle car to the west coast.

We showed him San Francisco and I fell in LOVE! He was delightful. I still remember that we took him to the Top of the Mark (Hopkins Hotel) which had a beautiful view of SF. But he didn’t have the required suit coat to get in. He was able to borrow one that was much too small and the sleeves came halfway up his forearm. But he still looked dreamy (to me) in his kilt. And sadly, I can’t even remember his first name! Our Scottish family name is Elder, so he was related to my great-great grandmother somehow. Too bad I was too twitterpated to take notes!

Jessica Mulroney says her BFF Meghan Markle is the victim of 'racism' following criticism of the eco-warrior and Prince Harry for taking four private jets in 11 days

Jessica Mulroney lashes out at 'racist' Meghan Markle critics | Daily Mail Online

This has genuinely never entered into my mind once when being critical of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s extravagant travel when they are claiming we all need to try and save the planet. The Duchess’s race has never been an issue for me and it never will. It is wrong of Jessica to claim racism when people are being critical of the couple. It may be an issue for a very small minority but I do not believe everyone who is critical of the Duchess is racist.

It has just annoyed me they are living so extravagantly flying about all over the place on private jets and staying in very expensive villas yet the taxpayers have had to pay £2.4 million for Frogmore Cottage renovations. You might believe the U.K is a wealthy country and it is but there are so many families even with parents working full time who are struggling to survive and food banks are being used more than ever before. Even NHS staff like nurses who work full time are having to use food banks because their rent is so high and they are poorly paid. It must make people very annoyed they way the Duke and Duchess are living it large when they are worried about losing their home and going hungry to feed their children.

It was on sky news yesterday that a private jet flight causes 5 times the amount co2 emissions of a passenger plane does and carbon footprint offsetting is in effective because of the length of time it takes. I don’t deny the Duke and Duchess the right to have a holiday but maybe they should try and fly commercial if they can and not take so many flights at once if they care about the environment as they say they do. Despite my criticism of the couple I wish them no harm and wish them happiness.

I am sure your £1.24 contribution is helping to pay for the upkeep of the royal collection of tiaras. I do wonder if people could opt out of paying £1.24 each to the royals a year how many of the U.K population would do so. I don’t begrudge giving £1.24 for the royals it’s the £154.50 a year for a tv license that drives me nuts. I don’t watch the BBC and hate paying towards it but you are forced to pay for it.

You pay for a tv license? How does that work? I’ve never heard of such a thing before.

Harry and Meghan Under Fire After Yet Another Private Jet Flight: “Frankly It Is Hypocritical”

“Harry can’t be preaching about the catastrophic effects of climate change whilst jetting around the world on a private plane.”

Former royal protection officer Ken Wharfe on Thursday joined environmentalists and MPs in criticizing the couple for having double standards. “During my time at the palace most of the flights we took were commercial on British Airways, the national carrier,” said Wharfe, who protected Princess Diana and William and Harry during the 90s. “BA were always very helpful with VIP departures and keeping the flights out of the press. I never had a problem with Diana, William and Harry on the numerous holidays we took to the Caribbean. We always flew commercial; in fact I don’t remember flying private. It’s no guarantee that the security is any better. You’re better off with BA security because they’re used to working with VIPs.”

Harry and Meghan Under Fire After Yet Another Private Jet Flight: “Frankly It Is Hypocritical”

I think RPO Ken Warfe’s point is what is really going on, here. And he makes another point about the experienced security at British Airways being excellent.

Princess Diana made history through her deeds, with HIV patients, with walking the mine fields, her friendship with Mother Theresa, for her candor on mental health, and so much more.

What’s unfortunate is that social media waters down the impact of just about everything. Imo. Everyone is an “influencer”. So, the Sussex instagram message board with favorite quotes gets a little lost in the sauce. And, so do the quotes from the greats like Bishop Tutu - when repurposed to justify big carbon footprint while preaching on climate change.

So, I’ve been asking myself, what is the “hypocrisy” all about? On an individual level great wealth makes for a bigger carbon footprint. And the display of that wealth while preaching conservation can make for big hypocrisy. This is a fair criticism.

Princess Diana was very adept at balancing her work as a royal, her love of cultural aspects in her time, her need to give her children a taste of the world outside the bubble of the BRF, and the groundbreaking good deeds that made her the people’s princess. She earned every one of her gold stars.

I look at all the back and forth on social media and I think it’s just a muddy mess. And it’s such a detached medium that when H&M post quotes, and platitudes, we really have no idea if these are genuine sentiments or just an influencer PR machine. I have no sense of who M&H really are.

Jessica Mulroney says her BFF Meghan Markle is the victim of 'racism' following criticism of the eco-warrior and Prince Harry for taking four private jets in 11 days

Oh shut up Jess, playing the racism card is a low blow and utterly irrelevant. People in the UK could not give a damn about Meghan's colour.

You pay for a tv license? How does that work? I’ve never heard of such a thing before.

Yep, every household which has a TV has to pay a licence for it, about £12 a month. The licence covers BBC channels, which arguably are our better quality channels (for things like news, documentaries, drama) and which have no adverts.

... I have no sense of who M&H really are.

I think Harry and Meghan have shown us who they really are in the last few months: Jet-setters. Two-faced. Holier than thou. More Hollywood glitter and glam to which MM aspired than true ambassadors for the BRF. Our dear Kensie said it best in her post #222: They are beginning to make me really sick.

Last edited:
giphy.gif
:eek:Noooo...
Don't mention the T.V. Licence!

That's definitely a major topic which causes outrage amongst many Brits :p

Most of the criticism about the climate change/private planes has been directed at Harry, he was the one preaching so I find the accusations of it being racially motivated as inaccurate. I'm sure there are some people who hate MM because shes mixed race but touting every criticism of her as racially motivated is wrong.

I've noticed it more in recent years that celebrities have decided any criticism is "hate". Sure, some of it is but not being able to tell the difference between the two is a real problem.

Was it hate/bullying when Leonardo di Caprio was lambasted for taking a private jet to collect an environmental award?

Do you think the old "Duchess of Pork" headlines would be allowed now or would it be fat shaming?

I think Harry and Meghan need to stop trying to control things through celebrity interviews, it makes it worse. I have no idea about Ellen, Pink and Jameela but Elton and Jessica definitely got approval before putting out those statements.

I think a trip to the Carter’s home in Georgia would be eye opening.He lives very simply and can be seen walking around town talking with residents and tourists. He seems to be a wonderful humble man.
AND He has lomg been a man of real faith and charity. He doesn’t just attend church for the photo-ops

He has actively supported Habitat for Humanity for decades

He doesn’t get enough respect for his traditions of service

Why can’t she just take care of Master Archie herself? :cool:
Ummm

Vogue magazine guest editor too important

Birthday trip to ultra-luxe Ibiza hideout too important

Visit to Sir Elton John ( likely part of the deal for him being a Godparent, MOO) too

Reviewing couture collections and fittings too important

Chatting up celebrity pals for support too important

Creating women empowerment slogans too important

Writing on banana peels too important

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics