CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the above is true and the actual thing that RT said - 'he asked her to stay and she declined to do so', why would you not wait two minutes for your partner to take a photo, if one of the reasons you were out there anyway was to take photos etc, why would you want to walk off alone, I wouldn't, unless we'd had an argument, or he wasn't being very nice to me!

If the above is true and the actual thing that RT said - 'he asked her to stay and she declined to do so', why would you not wait two minutes for your partner to take a photo, if one of the reasons you were out there anyway was to take photos etc, why would you want to walk off alone, I wouldn't, unless we'd had an argument, or he wasn't being very nice to me!
There are other possibilities too. Perhaps if I needed to use the 'facilities', I also wouldn't (or rather, couldn't ;) ) wait. Sometimes, I'm just impatient and want to do what I want to do. Perhaps, Barbara was the same

July 22nd - The investigation continues into the whereabouts of missing person Barbara Thomas from SBSD - Colorado River Sheriffs Department : Nixle
On July 12, 2019, at 2:30 p.m., Barbara and her husband Robert were hiking in the Mohave desert approximately 20 miles north of the I-40 freeway east of Kelbaker Rd.

SBCSD Colorado River Station on Twitter
An search is underway in the Mohave desert 20 miles north of I-40 & east of Kelbaker Rd. for a lost hiker http://nixle.us/B6B2S
12:16 AM - 13 Jul 2019

The first afternoon/evening it does say 20 miles north of I-40, but on the third day and every day thereafter Nixle reports Kelbaker/Hidden Hills (so I think Ssroads is right and credible and met the SAR people there).

July 21st - The search for Barbara Thomas, age 69, is continuing in the area of Kelbaker/ Hidden ... from SBSD - Colorado River Sheriffs Department : Nixle

Nixle, July 24:
UPDATE #2:
The search is moving into the third day for Barbara Thomas in the Mohave desert. Barbara was last seen in the area of Kelbaker / Hidden Hills near the I-40. The search involves numerous Search & Rescue members, deputies, K9’s, Sheriff’s Aviation(helicopter) and Park Rangers.

There have been no sightings of her at this time. The temperatures today hovered around 104 degrees.

And here's what Nixle says on July 21:

July 21st - The search for Barbara Thomas, age 69, is continuing in the area of Kelbaker/ Hidden ... from SBSD - Colorado River Sheriffs Department : Nixle

July 21st - The search for Barbara Thomas, age 69, is continuing in the area of Kelbaker/ Hidden Hills near the I-40 .

------------------
I'll try to find out why the discrepancy.

Well, you and your husband are very smart hikers! I commend your preparation and practice.

The key under a rock notion didn’t make me raise an eyebrow when I heard it. I heard runners and surfers do something similar, so I assumed the reasoning could be something similar.

I thought it was not done in case they got separated, but maybe so it would not get accidentally dropped somewhere by mistake or get buried way down in the pack and a pain to dig out of it when they got back to the rv.

Maybe the rock was used like a chock (those wedge thingies put against tires to prevent rolling—are those used with an rv? ‘Cause I’m so knowledgeable about such things—NOT—lol) or put under a rock next to one of those chocks? I don’t know.

I still do wonder about how we’ve always read they were hiking EAST of Kelbaker Road, and I don’t believe that ever changed in media reports. Our poster sroad is certain it had to be west of a Kelbaker, though, as it makes the most sense; but is it really certain? I guess the searchers searched both sides, so maybe it doesn’t matter, but I keep wondering about it.

(Off topic, but I like that you and your husband were kind and helped the lost dog. Made me smile.:) I’ve done that a couple of times now, too, and the owners were so grateful and relieved—as I would be, if it were my dog. And that’s why I try to catch a wandering dog; I’d hope someone would do the same for me!)

It was the cutest little poodle.

I just posted from Nixle. For the first two days, they did say east of Kelbaker, then in their third update, they said Kelbaker/HH and when @ssroads went out, he found the scene as RT had stated: a trail across the highway, leading to some rock formations. The search remained at the Kelbaker/HH area for the remainder of its time.

The first afternoon/evening it does say 20 miles north of I-40, but on the third day and every day thereafter Nixle reports Kelbaker/Hidden Hills (so I think Ssroads is right and credible and met the SAR people there).

Nixle, July 24:
UPDATE #2:
The search is moving into the third day for Barbara Thomas in the Mohave desert. Barbara was last seen in the area of Kelbaker / Hidden Hills near the I-40. The search involves numerous Search & Rescue members, deputies, K9’s, Sheriff’s Aviation(helicopter) and Park Rangers.

There have been no sightings of her at this time. The temperatures today hovered around 104 degrees.

July 21st - The search for Barbara Thomas, age 69, is continuing in the area of Kelbaker/ Hidden Hills near the I-40 .

------------------

Thank you. It's on my list of things to ask of reporters. Many of us have already asked this as well as a whole host of other questions but anything you can do to aid in the effort is greatly appreciated. MOO

I just posted from Nixle. For the first two days, they did say east of Kelbaker, then in their third update, they said Kelbaker/HH and when @ssroads went out, he found the scene as RT had stated: a trail across the highway, leading to some rock formations. The search remained at the Kelbaker/HH area for the remainder of its time.

Thank you. Perhaps the NamUs site was created early on, then, as it still says they were “hiking in the Mojave Desert North of Interstate 40 and East of Kelbaker Road in California when they got separated.” I guess the mixup must have stemmed from LE knowing where their vehicle was parked (which was east of Kelbaker) rather than where they were hiking.
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Or needed to use the restroom in a bad way...

Or she was suffering from heat exhaustion and was getting the feeling she was going to pass out if she did not get out of this heat. Then she does.. Passes out.. Later awakens and he is gone to call LE .. Alone and confused, disorientated.. ...wanders off in the wrong direction..
jmho

Last edited:
On the "stay" detail...

A family member is in the hospital and my dad and I went for a walk around the building to look at things since it's an old hospital and my dad as an EMT transported patients there many times over the years.

There were several times when my dad would stop and start talking to someone or would go in one direction and I wanted to go in another. I'm deaf, so he didn't say "stay" or anything like that, but it was implied that I should hang on while my dad talked to this or that hospital worker. But I wasn't about to hang around and wait, so I would keep on a little bit until I found someplace to sit down or lean against that suited me to wait for my dad to catch up.

So for me BT leaving RT behind after he wanted her to hold up is not exactly a clear cut sign of a disfunctional relationship.

Or needed to use the restroom in a bad way...

Or you were suffering from heat exhaustion and were getting the feeling you were going to pass out if you do not get out of this heat. Then she does.. Past out.. Later awakens and he is gone to call LE ..Alone and confused, disorientated ...wanders off in the wrong direction..
jmho
There are so many possibilities regarding what could have happened to BT in this situation, it's maddening.

Based on all the photos, maps, and info RT provided in MSM interviews on where they were when she disappeared (all posted upthread numerous times), IMO, the lay of the land and 'short distance' she had to cover to reach the RV should have allowed RT to see BT once he 'rounded the corner' he said she went around when he 'last saw her', even if she passed out and fell on her way back to the RV.

By 'short distance' I'm referring to RT saying they were on their way back to the RV on their 2 mile walk (1 mile each way), so they were both less than 1 mile from the road and their RV.

Therefore, he should have been able to see her if she was less than 1 mile away (and he was uphill from her as she was closer to the road where the elevation flattened out):

"How far apart, assuming no obstacles, can two people stand and still see each other?
... a person 6 feet tall standing on level ground can see for about 3 miles. So, theoretically, a person 6' tall (with binoculars) should be able to see the top of the head of a six-footer who is 6 miles away. He would see the whole person at a distance of 3 miles
"
How far can you see?

MOO

There are so many possibilities regarding what could have happened to BT in this situation, it's maddening.

Based on all the photos, maps, and info RT provided in MSM interviews on where they were when she disappeared (all posted upthread numerous times), IMO, the lay of the land and 'short distance' she had to cover to reach the RV should have allowed RT to see BT once he 'rounded the corner' he said she went around when he 'last saw her', even if she passed out and fell on her way back to the RV.

By 'short distance' I'm referring to RT saying they were on their way back to the RV on their 2 mile walk (1 mile each way), so they were both less than 1 mile from the road and their RV.

Therefore, he should have been able to see her if she was less than 1 mile away (and he was uphill from her as she was closer to the road where the elevation flattened out):

"How far apart, assuming no obstacles, can two people stand and still see each other?
... a person 6 feet tall standing on level ground can see for about 3 miles. So, theoretically, a person 6' tall (with binoculars) should be able to see the top of the head of a six-footer who is 6 miles away. He would see the whole person at a distance of 3 miles
"
How far can you see?

MOO

Symptoms of Heat Stroke
So I would imagine she goes down hard and crawls for shade and then she goes beyond a heat stoke into a full stroke ... Now hidden under what ever she could find for shade and now beyond helping herself in anyway..

That is why he can't see her and she can't respond.. After he is gone she awakens still disorientated and confused and wanders ??

I just do not understand why SAR teams did not find her ?

Last edited:
Thank you. Perhaps the NamUs site was created early on, then, as it still says they were “hiking in the Mojave Desert North of Interstate 40 and East of Kelbaker Road in California when they got separated.” I guess the mixup must have stemmed from LE knowing where their vehicle was parked (which was east of Kelbaker) rather than where they were hiking.
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
BBM Barbara was added to NamUs on August 1. MOO

Symptoms of Heat Stroke
So I would imagine she goes down hard and crawls for shade and then she goes beyond a heat stoke into a full stroke ... Now hidden under what ever she could find for shade and now beyond helping herself in anyway..

That is why he can't see her and she can't respond.. After he is gone she awakens still disorientated and confused and wanders ??

Heat stroke is a critical life endangering medical emergency that is different from a stroke.

Symptoms of Heat Stroke

I would think if BT were suffering from any of these symptoms she would have mentioned this to RT

RT has not said she was feeling poorly, or acting strangely.

In fact, I don't think we've been given any particular 'reason' she was going to the RV aside from the fact their little jaunt was through & they were in the process of returning when he wanted her to 'stay' while he took more pics, she didn't and he 'lost sight of her' when she rounded a corner to never be seen again

JMO but I don't think it's reasonable that a person would be suffering any of these symptoms & not say a word to their companion. Simpy makes no sense.

I would think if BT were suffering from any of these symptoms she would have mentioned this to RT

RT has not said she was feeling poorly, or acting strangely.

In fact, I don't think we've been given any particular 'reason' she was going to the RV aside from the fact their little jaunt was through & they were in the process of returning when he wanted her to 'stay' while he took more pics, she didn't and he 'lost sight of her' when she rounded a corner to never be seen again

JMO but I don't think it's reasonable that a person would be suffering any of these symptoms & not say a word to their companion. Simpy makes no sense.

Right! 100% Agree! We must remember that the amount of time they were separated is SO small! This isn't a question of hours in which Barb was wandering/walking on her own before she went "missing" - it was a question of minutes! So in the what, 10 or 15 minutes that RT last saw her, she went from fine and going back to the RV to complete heat stroke collapse on the ground and he missed her? Seems highly implausible!

Nixle, July 24:
UPDATE #2:

------------------

Along with @PommyMommy and many others, I'll be interested to hear what you find out. My current hypothesis is that the actual search was never "east of Kelbaker & 20 miles north of the I-40," but that the initial call was logged that way due to inaccurate cell phone localization or possibly due to RT's driving somewhere to make the 911 call (though he never mentions having done so). Also, "east of Kelbaker" isn't an easy place for his truck/RV to be (unless on some road), so my best guess is that it's cell phone localization.

My guess is that he said "Kelbaker/Hidden Hill" from the start and that that's where SAR started to search. But that's just my guess and I'll be very interested in what you find out. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth