Found Deceased WY - Aubree Corona, 28, did not return to campsite, Sublette County, 13 Jul 2019

Statement by the Sheriffs Office

(Pinedale, Wyo –August 21st, 2019) Search and rescue members locate body of missing Aubree Corona during search of the area where her vehicle was found over the weekend.

Yesterday August 20th 2019, search and rescue personnel found the body of Aubree Corona who had been missing since mid-July. A new joint search and rescue mission conducted by Fremont and Sublette county was initiated when the vehicle she was reported to be driving when she went missing had been discovered over the weekend. The vehicle, which was found on a remote non-traveled road was located in Fremont County in the Leeds creek area.

The vehicle was found to have approximately a half of tank of gas remaining when it was found. The vehicle was found to be inoperable and would not be able to be restarted. Detectives also found the missing dirt bike to be leaned over inside the back of the truck consistent with reported sightings of her and the truck on the 13th of July.

Searchers had begun covering the area Monday where the truck was located. On Tuesday searchers had located Aubree approximately 1.3 miles away from where her truck was found. There was no cell phone coverage in that area making cell phone ping attempts ineffective. No foul play is suspected at this time, and the cause of death is unknown at this time. An autopsy has been scheduled by Fremont County, as they continue their investigation.

The Fremont County Sheriff’s Office as well as the Sublette County Sheriff’s Office wishes to extend our deepest condolences to the friends and family of Miss Corona in this difficult time.

###

Sergeant Travis Bingham
Public Information Officer
Sublette County Sheriff's Office
35 1/2 S. Tyler Ave, PO Box 701
Pinedale, WY 82941
tbingham@subso.com
Office 307.367.5236
Cell 307-360-7737

Sublette County Sheriff's Office

This is unbelievably tragic. I hope the autopsy gives more answers on how she died. Was it very cold on the nights she could have been stranded with the truck? I wonder if she waited for a few days before trying to hike out and was too weak to go very far by that time? Did she not have any food or water with her? If she was still alive near the truck for days after getting lost/stuck then it's infuriating that the official search was suspended after only 2 days. LE may have concluded she skipped town after missing her breathalyzer. They could have found her sooner if they had put more resources into it. I hope Aubree did not suffer long out there all alone. :mad::(

This is unbelievably tragic. I hope the autopsy gives more answers on how she died. Was it very cold on the nights she could have been stranded with the truck? I wonder if she waited for a few days before trying to hike out and was too weak to go very far by that time? Did she not have any food or water with her? If she was still alive near the truck for days after getting lost/stuck then it's infuriating that the official search was suspended after only 2 days. LE may have concluded she skipped town after missing her breathalyzer. They could have found her sooner if they had put more resources into it. I hope Aubree did not suffer long out there all alone. :mad::(

It's mysterious. I do wonder though. What would have happened if she failed a breathalyzer? Were they drinking the night before?

Is it possible that she did attempt to get lost to have an excuse to miss it or be late? And then got trapped in an area she couldn't get out of?

How did she get lost twice?

Is she familiar with the area? Had she been there before? What led them to camp in that location?

It's confusing and tragic.

This all brings to the table the dangers of driving alone through remote areas—-no cell coverage, dangerous terrain...

I didn’t need anything to make me more paranoid than I already am but I will be sure to pack emergency supplies in the vehicle should I ever make a similar trip.

Some upstream mentioned they do this, pack the extra water, etc. I will now add to that possibly flares, a lime orange emergency reflective vest, compass, blankets, flashlight with lots of batteries, snacks, etc etc.

She must have been soooo frustrated, gosh, being lost for hours, then ending up on some godforesaken road, then her vehicle doesn’t start...

So running out of gas wasn’t the issue, the truck broke down it sounds like. I wonder what exactly was the issue with the vehicle. I was originally thinking maybe it overheated but then it still wouldn’t start after searchers found it.

Just a really really tragic case.

Fremont County Sheriff’s Office shares information on Aubree Corona’s discovery | County 10™

Investigators found the vehicle to be mechanically disabled. Investigators found the mechanical problem was most likely a result of driving on rough mountain roads and found no evidence that it had been tampered with. .

I’m not really sure what a likely problem would be. Damaged something on the belly of the vehicle, as a result of bottoming out too violently? Car people, speak up!

And so terribly tragic.

It's mysterious. I do wonder though. What would have happened if she failed a breathalyzer? Were they drinking the night before?

Is it possible that she did attempt to get lost to have an excuse to miss it or be late? And then got trapped in an area she couldn't get out of?

How did she get lost twice?

Is she familiar with the area? Had she been there before? What led them to camp in that location?

It's confusing and tragic.

One thing that @montanagirl15 had mentioned, iirc, was that even if she would’ve blown positive, the penalties wouldn’t have been enough for her to voluntarily disappear, a couple days in jail I think? I had a long post typed out in a response, gitana, but I lost it when the forum went down for the update.)

Glad we’re back up and running :). I missed you guys!

Last edited:
This all brings to the table the dangers of driving alone through remote areas—-no cell coverage, dangerous terrain...

I didn’t need anything to make me more paranoid than I already am but I will be sure to pack emergency supplies in the vehicle should I ever make a similar trip.

Some upstream mentioned they do this, pick the extra water, etc. I will now add to that possibly flares, a lime orange emergency reflective vest, compass, blankets, flashlight with lots of batteries, snacks, etc etc.

She must have been soooo frustrated, gosh, being lost for hours, then ending up on some godforesaken road, then her vehicle doesn’t start...

So running out of gas wasn’t the issue, the truck broke down it sounds like. I wonder what exactly was the issue with the vehicle. I was originally thinking maybe it overheated but then it still wouldn’t start after searchers found it.

Just a really really tragic case.

I'm terrified of being trapped alone with no easy access to cell service or emergency services. I couldn't do it. Terrifying.

One thing that @montanagirl15 had mentioned iirc was that even if she would’ve blown positive the penalties wouldn’t have been enough for her to voluntarily disappear, a couple days in jail I think? I had a long post typed out in a response, gitana, but I lost it when the forum went down for the update.)

Glad we’re back up and running :). I missed you guys!

Ok. So that likely does not explain it at all. So strange.

Fremont County Sheriff’s Office shares information on Aubree Corona’s discovery | County 10™

I’m not really sure what a likely problem would be. Damaged something on the belly of the vehicle, as a result of bottoming out too violently? Car people, speak up!

And so terribly tragic.
Oh trust me, you don't need to be on a remote road in the country where I live to bottom out or completely damage your engine/wheels, etc.

How in the heck did that poor woman get there down an untraveled road- perhaps an old fire lane? But yes, it is definitely possible, especially if you are not familiar with the road. Even being familiar with it- mud season (spring!) or a God awful rain storm the night before can cause dirt roads to become dangerous. Thankfully, when it happened to me, it was on a well traveled dirt road that I got stuck on, and one good Samaritan called his father-in-law, my other Good Samaritan, who brought chains to get me out. I had my two small dogs with me. I just took them for a ride, and was only 10 minutes from my house! I had lived here for about 11 years when that happened- scary is an understatement.

I feel for Aubree- breaks my heart that she was all alone!

I’m wondering if after her vehicle couldn’t be started, her natural instinct was to immediately try to go for help, find a way to the main road, etc but then it got dark and she couldn’t find her way back to her vehicle even if she wanted to go back to it (shelter, place to lie down, supplies, etc).

For some reason I envisioned in my mind this whole time her staying with the vehicle for a while for shelter, etc...but thinking about this more...

If it was already dark when her car died, she may stayed in it over night then headed out at first light the next day?

But if it wasn’t dark already maybe she left the truck immediately and then couldn't find it later?

I'm terrified of being trapped alone with no easy access to cell service or emergency services. I couldn't do it. Terrifying.
Rsbm

It really is (terrifying). And it’s pitch black out there. Wild life...:(

I hope Aubree was able to find some last moments of peace, somehow. These kinds of things I imagine bring you pretty close to your Maker. I imagine her last thoughts were of her children.

Last edited:

And so terribly tragic.

She may have put a hole in her oil pan but for that, she would have to have driven on boulders I would think. You would not believe the places we took my minivan, which sits a lot lower than her truck and only damaged the oil pan once on a mountain in Colorado.

She may have put a hole in her oil pan but for that, she would have to have driven on boulders I would think. You would not believe the places we took my minivan, which sits a lot lower than her truck and only damaged the oil pan once on a mountain in Colorado.

I was thinking the oil pan as well, as I recall several being damaged on dirt roads during camping trips in my youth. What I don't remember is whether or not the damaged oil pan prevented the car from starting, or if it was merely inadvisable to drive it any significant distance because the engine would be destroyed. Maybe in this case the oil pan was punctured earlier in the day, and Aubree continued driving, unaware of the problem or trying to reach a location where she could call for help, until the engine gave out? Any auto mechanics here who can add their knowledge?

what a scary situation to get so lost and not be found. so many “if only”s come to mind. i was so hopeful for a positive resolve.

I would think that with the terrain, weather and wrecked car that Aubree faced a series of choices --none of which easily made for a positive outcome. To have spent hours trying to navigate while in more populous areas and then go down a road not meant for vehicles, I can only imagine she was desperate when she made the choice to make that turn. We will probably never know when she wrecked/broke down. I hope that the clues from the scene will give her family and loved ones a sense of completion because I can't see that they will get peace knowing she was out there and in need of aid.

This is so awful and tragic. Unfortunately, a lost scenario and deadly decisions could happen to many people in the wilderness.

I was thinking the oil pan as well, as I recall several being damaged on dirt roads during camping trips in my youth. What I don't remember is whether or not the damaged oil pan prevented the car from starting, or if it was merely inadvisable to drive it any significant distance because the engine would be destroyed. Maybe in this case the oil pan was punctured earlier in the day, and Aubree continued driving, unaware of the problem or trying to reach a location where she could call for help, until the engine gave out? Any auto mechanics here who can add their knowledge?

I wish my husband was here to ask. I do think it depends on the size of hole you put in the oil pan as to how long you can run your vehicle after. I know with our van, we drove back to Wichita because it really was not that bad.

I wish my husband was here to ask. I do think it depends on the size of hole you put in the oil pan as to how long you can run your vehicle after. I know with our van, we drove back to Wichita because it really was not that bad.

(Well ask Mr. Pink tomorrow. We always love his input. :) )

Last edited:
I’m wondering if after her vehicle couldn’t be started, her natural instinct was to immediately try to go for help, find a way to the main road, etc but then it got dark and she couldn’t find her way back to her vehicle even if she wanted to go back to it (shelter, place to lie down, supplies, etc).

For some reason I envisioned in my mind this whole time her staying with the vehicle for a while for shelter, etc...but thinking about this more...

If it was already dark when her car died, she may stayed in it over night then headed out at first light the next day?

But if it wasn’t dark already maybe she left the truck immediately and then couldn't find it later?

It really is (terrifying). And it’s pitch black out there. Wild life...:(

I hope Aubree was able to find some last moments of peace, somehow. These kinds of things I imagine bring you pretty close to your Maker. I imagine her last thoughts were of her children.

I know! When I was very young I got myself in a situation. Staying in a cabin in WA with a friend. We drive to town for drinks. Got pulled over. Friend got arrested. I was buzzed so I was afraid if I drove off they'd arrest me too. So I walked down the highway to the turn off which was a miles long country road to the cabin. In the middle of the woods.

Hell no. After a few terrifying moments I knew I couldn't do it. I snuck back to the highway, lay in the culvert watching for a while and when the coast was clear I grabbed that truck and took off.

I'm scared to imagine what she went through. I wonder what it's like out there as far as roads and infrastructure and whether there was a main highway she could stay on to get back to camp. Or not?

It's a terrible outcome.

A normal person in good health can last for a week+ without food, and around two to three days without water under good conditions. I'm pretty sure that even at my age I could walk 30 miles and out of most situations where there are trails or unimproved roads without any supplies. Makes me curious what the cause of death was.

Sublette County officials said Wednesday they found Corona's body 1.3 miles (2.1 kilometers) from a 2005 Chevrolet Avalanche she was driving. Investigators say they don't know the cause of death but don't suspect foul play.

Corona had texted friends that she was lost in the Union Pass area.

A new search for Corona began when her truck was found last weekend on a remote, non-traveled road not far from Union Pass, near the Continental Divide.

An autopsy is planned.
Body of missing woman found in western Wyoming high country | SheridanMedia.com

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks