TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
He didn't recognize the house he had purchased?! I'm surprised he wasn't charged for trespassing, at least. I wonder how similar the homes in that neighborhood are, and how conspicuous the house numbers are from the street.

To this LEO's credit, he didn't shoot first, then take notice it wasn't his house. But he should have noticed immediately that it wasn't his garage by its contents, IMO. I agree with CrimeDawg... I hope they did a toxicology on the officer.

I don't know. I used to live in a neighborhood in Utah, where the developer only built three models of homes, all of them looked almost exactly alike, beige stucco exterior, white trim, same doors, windows, 2 car garage, even the landscaping was identical.

A lot of little kids lived in the neighborhood, it wasn't uncommon for a child to ride his big wheel up to the door, come in, use the bathroom, grab a juice box out of the fridge and go back outside. Pretty crazy. Of course, that is a 4 year old, but still...we used to laugh at church about it. Fortunately, everyone knew everyone in the neighborhood. Even the families were similar. LDS, white, usually 2 or 3 small children.

Last edited:
Ruling On Change Of Venue In Former Dallas Officer Amber Guyger’s Murder Trial Delayed Until Jury Selection (with clip)

August 12, 2019

"DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – The judge in the upcoming Amber Guyger murder trial is not ready to grant a change of venue and may not do so at all.

Guyger, the former Dallas Police officer will go on trial next month for the September 2018 shooting death of Botham Jean in his apartment, which she mistook for her own.

The judge ruled Monday, a decision the defense’s request for a change of venue won’t come until it’s determined whether or not a jury can be selected in Dallas County.

Guyger’s attorneys cite “prejudicial” and “inflammatory” media coverage as reasons to move the trial to another county. This comes after Guyger’s 911 call on the night the deadly shooting was leaked....

The fired officer last appeared in court on June 6, where the trial date was set for September 6."

Ruling On Change Of Venue In Former Dallas Officer Amber Guyger's Murder Trial Delayed Until Jury Selection
---

Guyger Motion to Transfer Venue

Ruling On Change Of Venue In Former Dallas Officer Amber Guyger’s Murder Trial Delayed Until Jury Selection (with clip)

August 12, 2019

"DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – The judge in the upcoming Amber Guyger murder trial is not ready to grant a change of venue and may not do so at all.

Guyger, the former Dallas Police officer will go on trial next month for the September 2018 shooting death of Botham Jean in his apartment, which she mistook for her own.

The judge ruled Monday, a decision the defense’s request for a change of venue won’t come until it’s determined whether or not a jury can be selected in Dallas County.

Guyger’s attorneys cite “prejudicial” and “inflammatory” media coverage as reasons to move the trial to another county. This comes after Guyger’s 911 call on the night the deadly shooting was leaked....

The fired officer last appeared in court on June 6, where the trial date was set for September 6."

Ruling On Change Of Venue In Former Dallas Officer Amber Guyger's Murder Trial Delayed Until Jury Selection
---

bbm

I have an issue with the reporting. Should read: Which she claims to have mistaken for her own.

imo

Wow! I sure hope they did a toxicology test on that guy.

Here's a link to a nearby street. Not seeing much similarity in the houses, or at least nothing most people couldn't distinguish by looking a little more closely.

Google Maps

This misplaced, toxic paranoia about "brown people" and "bad people" is drastically eroding our society and overall quality of life. People who move to these areas outside suburbia often do so out of fear of "brown people". Instead of becoming less paranoid, they seem to become worse. JMO, it's becoming a harmful personality disorder for some.

ETA: For those who are genealogists, its no surprise to find many interesting stories about crime, murder, accidents and other threats in old newspapers. I always thought it would make an interesting podcast to highlight some stories that defy the myths about the "good old days".

Last edited:
State District Judge Tammy Kemp is presiding over the trial, which begins Sept. 23. Jury selection is scheduled to begin Sept. 6.

Kemp did not listen to any arguments regarding Guyger’s attorneys’ request to move the murder trial out of Dallas, Star-Telegram media partner WFAA reported.

The judge has said she won’t hear arguments on the motion for a change of venue until after an attempt is made to select a jury.

At the pre-trial hearing, prosecutors entered several items into evidence, including Guyger’s gun she used in the shooting, bullet casings and photographs, the Dallas Morning News reported.

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/crime/article234156392.html

As a juror I would want to see both apartments(a jury view of the scene)Very least see a side by side video/ photos of both apts, inside & out, lights off, lights on..the two parking garage levels, the front door, how it locks or swings open.

Last edited:
Updated at 1:20 p.m.: Revised to include additional details from Monday's hearing.

Fired Dallas police Officer Amber Guyger appeared in court Monday for a hearing before her trial in the death of 26-year-old Botham Jean next month.

Guyger, 31, was charged with murder in November, several weeks after she fatally shot Jean in his apartment, just south of downtown Dallas.
Amber Guyger appears in court ahead of September murder trial for killing Botham Jean | Crime | Dallas News
The prosecution is going to use as evidence, a 'projectile' recovered from autopsy? Meaning bullet?

As a juror I would want to see both apartments(a jury view of the scene)Very least see a side by side video/ photos of both apts, inside & out, lights off, lights on..the two parking garage levels, the front door, how it locks or swings open.
and the exact pathway going to her house , and going to his from garage!

“Kemp allowed prosecutors to admit several items into evidence, including the firearm Guyger used in the shooting, bullet casings, photographs and an unspecified ‘projectile’ that was recovered through Jean’s autopsy,” the Dallas News reported before continuing: “Prosecutors and Guyger’s defense attorneys stated they did not plan to make references to Guyger’s employment status during the trial.”

It was unclear if that meant that lawyers wouldn’t say that Guyger, 31, was off-duty when she shot Jean, who was just 26 years old when he died. It may have been referring to her getting fired from the Dallas Police Department. Or perhaps both.

While that part may be a bit muddled, Tuesday’s court date made it abundantly clear that Kemp had every intention of trying the case in Dallas instead of granting prosecutors’ request for a change of venue that would arguably increase the probability of fewer prospective minority jurors.

Lawyers In The Botham Jean Murder Trial Won’t Refer To Amber Guyger’s ‘Employment Status’: Report

Her 911 call is first half mostly about concern for herself, her job.
The -bud, -hang in there,- I’m sorry
- hurry ...all comes later.
The defense may think that call will help her but I’m not so sure.
Does anyone know how much time passed between the neighbors hearing the shot and her 911 call?

All JMO

This mistake defense ... mistake or not, someone is still dead. In his own home.
I believe her when she says she made a mistake and went into the wrong apartment. However, everything she did after that was was intentional and thought out. She intentionally advanced into the apartment, thinking there was an intruder, instead of backing away into the hallway and calling 911. She had choices and that's what she chose to do. She intentionally shot at someone, when she had no idea who she was shooting at or why that person was in the apartment. That's what she chose to do. And when she called 911, she chose her words. 99% of them were about her, and not about the victim, his condition or what she could do for him until the ambulance arrived. That's what she was thinking about---herself.

Her 911 call is first half mostly about concern for herself, her job.
The -bud, -hang in there,- I’m sorry
- hurry ...all comes later.
The defense may think that call will help her but I’m not so sure.
Does anyone know how much time passed between the neighbors hearing the shot and her 911 call?

All JMO
The defense would have an early Christmas gift if the jury never heard that call, but that's not going to happen.

The defense would have an early Christmas gift if the jury never heard that call, but that's not going to happen.
I agree with you overall. But the call clearly shows she did absolutely nothing to try to help him. @Rocco pointed this out above. AG did not even put pressure on the wounds, something which a police officer is trained to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa