CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, *if* he'd still been taking photos, but he said he was putting his camera away, so I take that as he was already finished with the photo-taking and was now putting his stuff away when she rounded the corner out of his sight, which suggests he couldn't have been far behind.
For perspective, it takes me almost ten minutes to tear down. I handle my lenses very carefully (they are expensive) and tearing down takes as much time as setting up. A good ten mins. That's for an "average" amateur setup with lenses, tripod, etc.

Amateur opinion and speculation

What Kind of Black Socks?
someone commented and thats how I remembered they were knee high - I've found the post and the associated missing person link and it actually says 'tall' socks - Barbara Thomas
it was just an observation - i dont want a huge discussion on it :)
Nikynoo :) Thanks for your post. From the oag source, re clothing:
"...black tall socks, tan hiking boots..." Barbara Thomas)
No huge discussion, but imo could be ---
- knee high socks, i.e., w sock top reaching just below the knee cap.
- crew socks, w sock top reaching a bit below mid-calf.
- over the calf socks.
- tube socks.
- boot socks.
Conceivably, if a searcher located one or pair of these, could help find BT.

(But not anklets, liners, or no-show socks.)
Of course, accuracy of ^ is totally dependent on RT's stmt re BT's clothing.
jmo.

She was? So she was protected up to her knees from barbs that probably go through socks. All I've heard is socks. Can you point me to "knee socks"? Thanks.

Plus, cholla grows much higher than the average knee.

Plus a sock is no defense against cholla (or that other plant - the yucca looking one whose name I don't know, that one is a real stingerntoo and you don't even want to brush against either even with pants on). Or at least, I don't.

OTOH, if a person is leisurely and careful out there, one can avoid pokey plants, which is how I picture Barbara. Scrambling up higher rocks would be interesting in what she was wearing, so I suspect they did some lower ones (with gradual slope).

I can't add anything more to this case. It's mind boggling. She had a clear trail, I think, to take. Someone could not have quickly grabbed her and taken off I don't think. I don't know what could have happened.

Stowing Photo Gear? And Then?
For perspective, it takes me almost ten minutes to tear down. I handle my lenses very carefully (they are expensive) and tearing down takes as much time as setting up. A good ten mins. That's for an "average" amateur setup with lenses, tripod, etc. Amateur opinion and speculation
@rosesfromangels :) Thanks for your post. Makes sense that, after a shoot, putting away camera, tripod, lenses, etc. would take at least 10 min.

Another thought about even more time passing after RT says he saw BT go around the corner, until he got close to RV & thought her gone.
Maybe RT was a straight up photography slowpoke. BT, one quick pix here...Just one more min, pls BT...Whoops, gotta swap lenses... That was a good one, but need to reset f-stop...
blah, blah, blah...Well honey you just go ahead, I'll be there in a sec...Gets out new roll of film, continues shooting and shooting. 15 min? 30 min? 45 min? Longer? Returns to RV.
Maybe RT told LE about longer time, maybe not. I wish we knew.

LE Message to Suspect?
Authorities are unaware of how long RT and BT were separated before she disappeared nor do they know how far she was from the RV at the time.
^ Per SBCoSheriff.

Question for those more familiar with LE statements in missing person cases...
Are they sending a message to a suspected perpetrator?

@firstsleuth :) Thanks for your post. Message to sus-perp? I don't think so, jmo.
I think it means:
1) LE does not know how long RT & BT were separated before she disappeared.
2) LE does not know how far she was from the RV at the time.

IOW, at face value - no corroboration for RT's stmts on these two points, as part of a MIsPer case.
Reading btwn lines, they're handling case as something other than BT as MisPer.
jmo.

What do you guys make of @sroad ’s information that a car passes every few minutes? Do the logistics allow for in your opinions that someone could scoop her up IF they wanted to? Tia. Sorry if this is a rehash question.

(ETA: Actually, feel free to ignore his question if it derails...I haven’t been able to keep up here but I have been wondering about this.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member