Found Deceased WY - Aubree Corona, 28, did not return to campsite, Sublette County, 13 Jul 2019

Per LE the truck was not wrecked. There was something loose under the hood. Aubree knows quite a bit about engines so the idea that she didn't look under the hood seems very strange to us.

Oh my gosh, none of this makes any sense. I hope you get answers.

Just wanted to let you know that Websleuths is going to be down today for maintenance and may not be back until Monday. I hope there is some new news by the time we come back online here.

Before the site goes down, here's a list of links to articles about Aubree being found:

Aug. 23: Regional Briefs

Body of woman who disappeared on camping trip found in remote area of Wyoming | East Idaho News

Body of missing woman found in western Wyoming high country

Fremont County Sheriff’s Office shares information on Aubree Corona’s discovery | County 10™

Body of missing Green River woman found in Fremont County

BREAKING: Body of Missing Wyoming Woman Found Tuesday

For those keeping track of the maps, she was approximately 51 miles from the campsite.
They also described the location as "at the end of a narrow mountain “two-track” road in the area of Leeds Creek in the Bridger Teton Forest within Fremont County."

I just wanted to address a few things that I’ve read in this thread

LE is getting criticized for suspending the search after 2 days. She was scheduled for a breathalyzer to remain out on bond. She didn’t show up and her friends/family reported her missing. Not showing up for PBT or UA is so common with people on bond and probation/parole and people just abscond. Even over trivial matters, even people charged with minor crimes.

I’m sure LE never imagined she’d made it back up the mountains then down a road for authorized vehicles only.

The lack of sightings of Aubree and the vehicle she was in only made it more reasonable that she was on the run.

That all being said, it’s super sad that she was all alone and no experience with the wilderness. My deepest sympathies are with the family, such a tragic loss.

I haven’t looked on a map but does anyone know how far she was located from the last sighting?

Also, was the bike in the back of the truck inoperable?

LE is getting criticized for suspending the search after 2 days. She was scheduled for a breathalyzer to remain out on bond. She didn’t show up and her friends/family reported her missing. Not showing up for PBT or UA is so common with people on bond and probation/parole and people just abscond. Even over trivial matters, even people charged with minor crimes.

I’m sure LE never imagined she’d made it back up the mountains then down a road for authorized vehicles only.

The lack of sightings of Aubree and the vehicle she was in only made it more reasonable that she was on the run.

That all being said, it’s super sad that she was all alone and no experience with the wilderness. My deepest sympathies are with the family, such a tragic loss.

I haven’t looked on a map but does anyone know how far she was located from the last sighting?

They knew she was lost.
They knew she was still in the area not hundreds of miles away which she could of been already.
This is NOT bashing LE.
It is a legitimate question based on the information available.

Per this statement found at this link:

"Aubree became disoriented on the mountain roads and ended up crossing Union Pass into Fremont County. Aubree received directions from a citizen and traveled into Dubois, Fremont County, Wyoming, where she made a couple of stops and purchased some items. Recent information indicated that the last confirmed sighting of Aubree Corona was a couple of hours after she had been seen in Dubois, and was a matter of a few miles from where Aubree Corona’s vehicle was located by a passer-by on August 17th, 2019"

ETA Link
Fremont County Sheriff’s Office shares information on Aubree Corona’s discovery | County 10™

Per Gardener1850’s post just 2 upstream, Aubree’s remains were found 51 miles from the campsite.

It’s my opinion that LE should have a uniform policy for conducting searches- not discretionary. To ensure fairness and equal opportunity to benefit from the SAR search- much of which is publicly funded. Perhaps there is a policy. And perhaps they followed it. It just seems like the PBT issue became a deciding factor to terminate a search after a few hours- based on some idea of flawed character or unreliability. This is wrong. Aubree was a mom. A sister, ex-wife, girlfriend, daughter, friend. She deserved more than 36ish hours of LE search efforts.

There were at least 10 adults at the camp per LE to watch the kids and BF and dad say at the Sheriff's office on camera, while Aubree was struggling and lost on the mountain.

There are so many painful questions for your family. Thank you for being here and your willingness to answer questions and give us updates. I can only imagine the confusion, frustration and thoughts that are happening for you all. Justice for Aubree.

SBM for focus.

I think the criticism for LEO is based on the idea that they did not look at the whole picture. Yes, she did not appear for the test. But, she was also seen at two places and had interactions with more people (trucker who she was following, etc) that she was lost and confused about returning to her camping area. Without going point by point, she hadn't had bank withdraws either. She was in a wilderness area with few resources to leave the area. That says that she was in trouble to me. By all accounts of those who know her, she wouldn't leave like that or leave her kids with 10 other people in a remote camping area if she was going to disappear.

I am not sure if they how long it would have taken to find her given her location but the lack of resources being linked to her failing to appear breathalyzer and her being on the run has not made sense from the beginning. Aubree (and, in fact, all who go missing) deserved to have resources allotted. In other threads here where people go missing the resources given can be huge and sweeping for the person lost (woman in Hawaii and others) with a positive effect on survival. Aubree deserved more-- it may have made a difference between her living and dying. JMHO.

Last edited:

In general I am Pro-LE and I take their side more often than not. I know sometimes they stop a search because they have other info indicating the person is not lost in the search area. Sometimes they get clues someone walked away voluntarily. Sometimes there is an indication that foul play has taken place and LE decides they don't want volunteers finding the body and potentially compromising a crime scene.

However, one major issue I have in this case is that there were indications she was lost and there were sightings of Aubrey but LE didn't connect them until days had passed. The logger reported his interaction with her and her being lost the same day it happened but LE did not make the connection that it was Aubree until days later. The two places where she was seen stopping for gas and directions did not have CCTV of her anymore because there was a delay in asking for it (unless LE got the CCTV and we are unaware). They should have had those CCTV images of her to share on the news in case more people saw her. Also part of the delay in LE gathering info was because family were told they had to wait 24 hours to report her missing-- which BTW is false info-- there is ZERO waiting period to report a missing person. Ever. It's not a law in any state as far as I know. Someone was hugely mistaken about that and it cost precious time.

LE should have taken the report and began investigating right away. She had texted her boyfriend about getting lost and her plans and intention to return that day. Her kids were waiting for her back at the camp. This should not have been treated as a possible absconder situation unless they had clear information indicating she took off-- such as her cell phone pinging in another state or texts to her boyfriend saying she was worried about failing her BAT and asking him to take care of her kids for a few days. Or if, hypothetically, they had found Aubree's blood in her home or at the campsite then that also could have reasonably stopped the immediate SAR search. Those things didn't happen as far as we know.

I think it's valid to ask why LE stopped the search for a lost mother so early. In a different case discussed here Barbara Thomas disappeared in the Mojave in over 100 degree temps with no water and no supplies. The conditions were incompatible with BT living beyond a day or two, and yet LE had SAR workers out in the heat for 9 days before they called an end to the search. Conditions for Aubree were much more favorable-- IMO she could have survived in the WY wilderness for a week or more waiting for a rescue that never came. But for some reason LE suspended the search for Aubree after only 2 days. Her family members were left to continue physically searching a vast wilderness themselves. This should be unacceptable to anyone who lives in Sublette county or the surrounding counties. Getting lost or stranded with a broken down vehicle could happen to anyone (whether they have a minor criminal history or not). The people who live there and especially Aubree's family have a right to know what LE's decision making processes were when deciding to abandon the search early on. MHOO.

(Sorry for the lengthy reply :oops:)

I have also shared this on Reddit in the sub r/unsolvedmysteries
I feel this story needs to be shared as much as possible. I hope the family gets answers soon. This is something no family should ever have to go through.

condolences to the family

i hope we find out exactly what happened here, if only to prevent this happening again

ive looked on google earth along with most of us. I'm from the Uk not far from London. Your scenery and the general area is so so beautiful! nothing like that close to us, such a lovely state.

In general I am Pro-LE and I take their side more often than not. I know sometimes they stop a search because they have other info indicating the person is not lost in the search area. Sometimes they get clues someone walked away voluntarily. Sometimes there is an indication that foul play has taken place and LE decides they don't want volunteers finding the body and potentially compromising a crime scene.

However, one major issue I have in this case is that there were indications she was lost and there were sightings of Aubrey but LE didn't connect them until days had passed. The logger reported his interaction with her and her being lost the same day it happened but LE did not make the connection that it was Aubree until days later. The two places where she was seen stopping for gas and directions did not have CCTV of her anymore because there was a delay in asking for it (unless LE got the CCTV and we are unaware). They should have had those CCTV images of her to share on the news in case more people saw her. Also part of the delay in LE gathering info was because family were told they had to wait 24 hours to report her missing-- which BTW is false info-- there is ZERO waiting period to report a missing person. Ever. It's not a law in any state as far as I know. Someone was hugely mistaken about that and it cost precious time.

LE should have taken the report and began investigating right away. She had texted her boyfriend about getting lost and her plans and intention to return that day. Her kids were waiting for her back at the camp. This should not have been treated as a possible absconder situation unless they had clear information indicating she took off-- such as her cell phone pinging in another state or texts to her boyfriend saying she was worried about failing her BAT and asking him to take care of her kids for a few days. Or if, hypothetically, they had found Aubree's blood in her home or at the campsite then that also could have reasonably stopped the immediate SAR search. Those things didn't happen as far as we know.

I think it's valid to ask why LE stopped the search for a lost mother so early. In a different case discussed here Barbara Thomas disappeared in the Mojave in over 100 degree temps with no water and no supplies. The conditions were incompatible with BT living beyond a day or two, and yet LE had SAR workers out in the heat for 9 days before they called an end to the search. Conditions for Aubree were much more favorable-- IMO she could have survived in the WY wilderness for a week or more waiting for a rescue that never came. But for some reason LE suspended the search for Aubree after only 2 days. Her family members were left to continue physically searching a vast wilderness themselves. This should be unacceptable to anyone who lives in Sublette county or the surrounding counties. Getting lost or stranded with a broken down vehicle could happen to anyone (whether they have a minor criminal history or not). The people who live there and especially Aubree's family have a right to know what LE's decision making processes were when deciding to abandon the search early on. MHOO.

Throughout Aubree’s disappearance, I kept thinking of BT too. Almost 70. Height of summer. Desert. If foul play, prob not a serial killer, serial rapist or capture of major danger to society. I just don’t get it.

Perhaps this will be Aubree’s legacy. “Aubree’s Standard” to establish fair evaluative criteria for allocation of SAR resources for uniform, equitable access in time of need. Starting in WY & adopted by all states. Just thinking out loud...

This is an extremely well stated and comprehensive analysis of all factors. Thankyou @Gardener1850. It is important for LE not to get tunnel vision on any case, MP or otherwise, while it is still developing. I feel this is what they did with Aubree when they realized she had missed her breathalyzer, ignoring the other facts and discounting both the accounts of her loved ones and their worry and desire to work with LE in finding her. One can support the mission and personnel of LE and still make note of procedures and biases that need to be improved or eradicated when they may have factored into a very bad outcome for one or more citizen. Aubree deserved to be protected and served with full commitment from LE regardless of any brushes with the law she may have previously had, as do we all. MOO.

The vehicle was found a couple of miles away from the last verified sighting.
LE could of re-evaluated the information known to them at that time, and started searching once again.
They chose not to and I believe that is directly related to the PBT factor.

Unfortunately, the area was so remote and rugged she was many miles from a main highway. However, she was only 3-4 miles from the main gravel road that she left. It was in a wilderness area well off the beaten path and in an area very few people go.

Thanks for coming back here and responding. We are all so horrified for her and for you and the rest of her family.

So essentially it was all super remote and no real highway at all to get back to the campsite on?

It sounds like anyone unfamiliar with the area could've gotten into real trouble. I'm so sorry.

Our family will share information as we receive it and are given permission by LE to share. As a family we have so many unanswered questions that need to get answered! As we get those answers we will share them with you! As Aubree's family we would like to thank each one of you for help, suggestions, thoughts and prayers in our quest to find our beloved daughter, sister and mother. Whole the outcome was not what we had hoped for we are extremely grateful that Aubree was found and we will have the opportunity to honor her and lay her rest!

Wow. You are a tough, wonderful family. We won't forget Aubree here.

Also get yourself a 4 x 4 rescue signal panel that is blaze orange on one side and lime green on the other. If you look around you can usually find a white strobe light for a reasonable price for night signalling. Better to have them and never need them then to not have them and be in a life or death situation. Another smart thing to have is a 50' length of braided rope (usually available in a bundle at your local mega hardware store) in yellow. Better to throw a drowning person a rope than to find yourself being pulled under by the person you are trying to rescue.

Thank you so much! These are GREAT suggestions. I love safety gear but there's so much I don't know about.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back