Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes but do you think it’s appropriate then for his ex wife, who’s a victim as well, respond to AS’s ongoing concerns and complaints about her via the media?

So that the public can become involved in determining who’s right and who’s wrong without knowing any of the facts of their marital discourse? During a time when their son is making headline news for having fled across the country after being accused of the murder of three innocent people and subsequently found dead by suicide?

I think we're forgetting that mom is a victim as much as AS is. I wonder what she'd say to the media if she decided to go that route (thankfully she hasn't said much aside from that plea for Bryer to come home, earlier in the case).

I’ll believe it when the email is publicly verified by either the lawyer or the RCMP. That a lawyer would send gmail (to who?) instead of using her professional office email is a red flag IMO.

Do you remember the early arrest alert on the Security Services website that never happened? We never learned what that was about either.

The news outlet verified it came from the lawyers email which she received from RCMP. The video might help you better than me.
In a document obtained by CHEK News, RCMP confirmed in an email to Al Schmegelsky’s legal counsel that a video exists which “has to do with how Bryer wanted his body dealt with after the death.”

Perhaps the news station pieced the segment together to make it seem like the lawyer gave a statement and the email but instead they acquired the email from AS without the lawyers knowledge or verification. That would be pretty low and unprofessional. So since we have to rely on media reports here I’m going to trust it until otherwise proven as false. JMO.

ETA.. also she can maintain a professional email address but use a google platform. The gmail isn't part of her address.

I don’t recall the security service website thing you mention.

Yes but do you think it’s appropriate then for his ex wife, who’s a victim as well, respond to AS’s ongoing concerns and complaints about her via the media?

So that the public can become involved in determining who’s right and who’s wrong without knowing any of the facts about their personal or prior marital disputes? During a time when their son is making headline news for having fled across the country after being accused of the murder of three innocent people and subsequently found dead by suicide?
Since she put herself in position as "next of kin" she should have done the right thing by Bryer (maybe his last will and testament asked dad not attend?) she could have easily arranged a time for AS and his side of the clan to attend a memorial/funeral and then the next day held one for her side, not that hard. I see this done frequently, sometimes at the same time in different places/stated.

Since she put herself in position as "next of kin" she should have done the right thing by Bryer (maybe his last will and testament asked dad not attend?) she could have easily arranged a time for AS and his side of the clan to attend a memorial/funeral and then the next day held one for her side, not that hard. I see this done frequently, sometimes at the same time in different places/stated.
BBM

I'd honestly be surprised if Bryer specifically asked for his dad to be excluded. I think their relationship was still a bit tentative and superficial due to the years of estrangement, but it does seem like they had been seeing each other regularly for a few years.

Nowhere have I read that Bryer was estranged from his mother, but only that he lived with his grandmother, and spent a lot of time at Kam's house.
That's very true! I think it is safe to say Bryer was not getting along with his mother when he left her home, especially with her one coworker mentioning she was afraid of him, but he very well may have still been seeing her regularly and in touch with her as he was his dad. A lot of times parent-child relationships are easier when they're not under the same roof with each other.

In fact, since he was with his mom's mom, I'd assume it would have been pretty awkward at family get-togethers if he and his mother were completely estranged.

MOO

Yes but do you think it’s appropriate then for his ex wife, who’s a victim as well, to be compelled to respond to AS’s ongoing concerns and complaints about her via the media?

So that the public can become involved in determining who’s right and who’s wrong without knowing any of the facts about their personal or prior marital disputes? During a time when their son is making headline news for having fled across the country after being accused of the murder of three innocent people and subsequently found dead by suicide?
I don't think the public would be giving much credence to AS's "book", but this is the funeral of his only son, not a time to be excluding or playing mind games. They could have easily held memorials at two different venues and allowed him to attend a funeral for his son (and know if he was buried or cremated etc) without having to have ever seen the ex-wife. To not even tell him she was burying/cremating his son gives a clear understanding of the acrimonious situation between Bryer's parents.

What on earth is in that video that AS must not see? I really wonder. It must be very important if this much effort is going into not letting him see it, but others have been allowed to see it, IMO.

That's not the sense I got from the articles. His former friend's mom (who was also a neighbor) said that from ages 11-13 he was at their house all the time, and that he had a "s****y home life" and "this was his fun house." Basically implying he couldn't have fun at home. I also saw another article that said other people around town said much the same thing, that he avoided being at home after the divorce. This is a small town so I guess gossip gets around. I can't find the sources right now so, JMO (why do I keep not saving sources?!)

I'm sure it did help that Kam's family had a lot more money and property to run around in, though.

The person you’re referring to never mentioned B’s mom, that I’ve ever noticed.....unless you’re recalling somebody different or another media report? She only refers to B’s grandmother, although I thought he lived with his mom until age 16. According to this woman though, perhaps not.

BBM

“When Port Alberni resident Lisa Lucas first met a teenage Bryer Schmegelsky at her home, she thought he was simply an oddball, shy kid, living down the road at his grandmother’s house.”
More details are emerging of lives of two Port Alberni men subject of massive manhunt

“Lucas lives across the street from where Schmegelsky lived with his grandmother in Port Alberni. When he was younger Schmegelsky hung out at Lucas’s house with one of her sons of the same age, up to about four years ago, she said.

Bryer never did anything to cause me alarm. He was a little shy and was an oddball kid at 11, 12, 13. He was here a lot, he had a home life, this was his fun house, she said. “As he got older he started to get really serious with odd comments while gaming, comments that made my son feel uncomfortable.”
Port Alberni searches for answers as manhunt for murder suspects continues

What on earth is in that video that AS must not see? I really wonder. It must be very important if this much effort is going into not letting him see it, but others have been allowed to see it, IMO.
The gist I got from the email was that it was less about him specifically and more about who was next of kin. Or at least that was the stance RCMP adopted.

That being said, I can see them being concerned about him publicizing it and being relieved they feel they don't have to show it to him. However, I'm not sure him publicizing the video/its contents if he saw it would be any less of a media spectacle than it leaking that he has not been allowed to see it and is actively barred from doing so. MOO

I think it has more to do with keeping it from the media than keeping it from AS. They probably don't trust him to keep quiet.

Well either that or they're concerned that maybe seeing the reality of his son saying his last goodbyes will set him off somehow.

The person you’re referring to never mentioned B’s mom, that I’ve ever noticed.....unless you’re recalling somebody else.

BBM

“When Port Alberni resident Lisa Lucas first met a teenage Bryer Schmegelsky at her home, she thought he was simply an oddball, shy kid, living down the road at his grandmother’s house.”
More details are emerging of lives of two Port Alberni men subject of massive manhunt

“Lucas lives across the street from where Schmegelsky lived with his grandmother in Port Alberni. When he was younger Schmegelsky hung out at Lucas’s house with one of her sons of the same age, up to about four years ago, she said.

Bryer never did anything to cause me alarm. He was a little shy and was an oddball kid at 11, 12, 13. He was here a lot, he had a ****** home life, this was his fun house, she said. “As he got older he started to get really serious with odd comments while gaming, comments that made my son feel uncomfortable.”
Port Alberni searches for answers as manhunt for murder suspects continues

I've always heard he didn't live with his grandma until age 14 or 15 and that he got along with her. That being said though, either way, clearly something was not good.

The gist I got from the email was that it was less about him specifically and more about who was next of kin. Or at least that was the stance RCMP adopted.

That being said, I can see them being concerned about him publicizing it and being relieved they feel they don't have to show it to him. However, I'm not sure him publicizing the video/its contents if he saw it would be any less of a media spectacle than it leaking that he has not been allowed to see it and is actively barred from doing so. MOO

Unless...they don't want him running to the media before they've had time to deal with the victims' families and have a chance to properly prepare them?

I don't think the public would be giving much credence to AS's "book", but this is the funeral of his only son, not a time to be excluding or playing mind games. They could have easily held memorials at two different venues and allowed him to attend a funeral for his son (and know if he was buried or cremated etc) without having to have ever seen the ex-wife. To not even tell him she was burying/cremating his son gives a clear understanding of the acrimonious situation between Bryer's parents.

Do we know that a memorial has been held and Bs been cremated or buried?

Unless...they don't want him running to the media before they've had time to deal with the victims' families and have a chance to properly prepare them?
That's very possible. I would think, though, he would probably be willing to keep his mouth shut if he got to see the video. It doesn't seem like it is up for negotiation, though.

I've always heard he didn't live with his grandma until age 14 or 15 and that he got along with her. That being said though, either way, clearly something was not good.

Yeah I don’t know, depends what storyline one chooses to believe I guess.

“They were "everyday, good kids" who didn't get into trouble, but his son had problems at home and, at 16, briefly moved to Victoria to live with him, Alan Schmegelsky said. The boy then returned to Port Alberni to live with his grandmother.”
Father of suspect in 3 B.C. deaths expects son will go out in 'blaze of glory'

Preparing the family should have happened by now then. The email was dated August 21 so maybe AS has now been given access to view the video. Maybe he will have to sign a non disclosure first.

Last edited:
I'm not defending his behavior or saying that he has behaved the most wisely--I'm just noting that he is still a victim in this case and is grieving what would be a horrible tragedy for any parent.

Yes I agree however AS claims his victimization is caused by his ex-wife. And reportedly she fears for her life according to court records, a victim of criminal harassment. Does that make each of them victims of each other? It certainly is a very sad saga all around but not enough information is known for me to judge and frankly, I admire Bs mother and grandmother for not engaging in a media battle with AS. I think that’s what he’s looking for yet their primary focus at this time must be dealing with their grief.

Yeah I don’t know, depends what storyline one chooses to believe I guess.

“They were "everyday, good kids" who didn't get into trouble, but his son had problems at home and, at 16, briefly moved to Victoria to live with him, Alan Schmegelsky said. The boy then returned to Port Alberni to live with his grandmother.”
Father of suspect in 3 B.C. deaths expects son will go out in 'blaze of glory'

Yes, Bryer was such a good kid. His hobbies included playing war and "training in camouflage" in the bush for hours on end, collecting Nazi memorabilia, playing violent video games, threatening other students, and killing three innocent people. What a sweetie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021