The British Royal Family - news, views, clothes & shoes! #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lara Spencer apologizes for Prince George ballet comment

New York – “Good Morning America” host Lara Spencer has apologized for her “insensitive” comments about Prince George taking ballet lessons.

Spencer discussed the backlash against her comments Monday, saying she has learned the “bravery it takes for a young boy to pursue a career in dance.”...

New York – “Good Morning America” host Lara Spencer has apologized for her “insensitive” comments about Prince George taking ballet lessons.

Spencer discussed the backlash against her comments Monday, saying she has learned the “bravery it takes for a young boy to pursue a career in dance.”...
After the Megan Kelly fiasco - she's probably trying to save her job.

* Please Note: This info. is taken mainly from my 2 most reliable sources (who both link back & forth as below, sharing content, images, updates etc.). They thou have differing opinions on the origin of this tiara!
Therefore I've included both sides of the question but tried to edit showing as clearly as possible rather than snip & jump between o_O

Added also is a great comprehensive write-up from the German Royal Magazine - it's translated into English :rolleyes:

Hope that ^ makes sense...
images

O.k. ??
As this is already becoming TL/DR post please continue to new post which will follow :D

glitterpurple.gif

Tiara Alert!

:p THE BRUNSWICK TIARA

tumblr_oxbxxcyDph1wwqayjo1_400.jpg
The Brunswick Tiara! belongs today to the Hanover family, but it didn't start its life in Germany...

This tiara was originally part of Napoleon Bonaparte’s wife Josephine’s jewel collection. It features diamonds set in scrolls and laurel-wreath motifs...

josephine.jpg

Beauharnais, Joséphine de - Empress
Many tiaras have been tied, both correctly and incorrectly, to Napoléon's first empress, Joséphine...

The Brunswick Tiara! is one of those pieces, but proving that it really belonged to Joséphine is challenging.
One particularly important piece of evidence may exist: a portrait. On her website, Ursula* argues that the portrait shows Joséphine wearing the Brunswick Tiara!

Unfortunately, the website doesn't include an image of said portrait...

...There was few time until the wedding and it seemed impossible to make a new tiara, so they had to look out for one which had already been manufactured.

Fortunately, the
Saxon Court Jeweller, Moritz Ellimeyer, in Dresden ;) had such a jewel.

Hartwieg made the jeweller to present it to him. The correspondence between him and Jeweller
Ellimeyer about the purchase is kept in the national archives.

They contain important details on the origins of the tiara, which Hartwieg wanted to be informed of.

*The tiara! originates from the imperial jewels of the Bonaparte family and was worn of the Empress Josephine Beauharnais. There is a painting of the Empress where the tiara! can be identified.

*The bill of costs with details, is also kept in the national archives.**

In the diadem, which they wanted to buy, the two biggest and especially valuable diamonds were missing.

Ellimeyer explained that he had not yet succeeded in finding a fitting replacement for them. This just suited Hartwieg since he planned to made a jeweller from Brunswick refurbish the tiara!
- ^ Translated into English on the website, which is German - :confused:

This tiara managed to escape France for Germany, and somehow end up in the hands of Saxon court jeweler, Moritz Elimeyer...:D

The tiara was not in pristine condition; predictably, some of the larger diamonds were missing from the piece. But the damaged diadem was exactly what Adolf Hartwieg, a Brunswick state official, was looking for. He'd been tasked with finding a suitable wedding present that could be given to Princess Victoria Louise of Prussia, the daughter of Kaiser Wilhelm II, to celebrate her marriage to Prince Ernst August III of Hanover, the future Duke of Brunswick. The tiara, though in need of repairs, fit the bill...

Brunswick%2BTiara%2B%2528%2529%2BPrincess%2BVictoria%2BLouise%2B2-2.jpg

Viktoria Luise wearing the tiara
Victoria Louise was apparently delighted with the gift, and she wore the tiara both as a young woman and in her old age, long after the monarchy had been abolished in Germany. On her death in 1980, the tiara stayed in the family,
4a43580b461939b1b454cd7bb7ae9d45.jpg

Victoria Louise wears the tiara

...Unseen for many years, it was feared by some that the Brunswick tiara! had been sold by Ernst August.

But in 2004, his second wife, Princess Caroline of Monaco, unexpectedly turned up at the Danish crown princely wedding wearing the tiara
Brunswick%2BTiara%2B%2528%2529%2BPrincess%2BVictoria%2BLouise%2Bhere%2BPrincess%2BCaroline%2B1.jpg
The design of the tiara does resemble pieces made during Joséphine's lifetime. The tiara uses many of the motifs favored by the French court during the empire era, including the laurels that drape across the top of the tiara and the delicate geometric scrolls...

The combination of possible artistic license and later changes to the tiara would ultimately make it challenging (though not impossible) to come to a solid conclusion about the tiara's roots.

Precisely how Joséphine's tiara is supposed to have traveled from France to Germany is unclear, although members of her family did marry into various German royal families.
The most we can say, I think, is that maybe Joséphine owned the tiara! (and maybe she didn't). :mad:

The story of the Brunswick Tiara of Viktoria Luise
Princess Caroline of Hanover | Brunswick Tiara onced owened by Josephine Empress of France

The Brunswick Tiara | The Court Jeweller
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Brunswick Tiara
Tiara Mania: Empress Josephine of France's Brunswick Tiara

:rolleyes: I had a thought mid-way thru doing ^ post(s) so before I forget...

@Lilibet could it possibly be that Queen Victoria had only the two children who'd have teeth at the time Herman was still in Dresden?
If it was 1845 then wouldn't Alice (3rd child born 1843) still be a baby so it would be some time off before she'd lose her 1st teeth?
:cool:

:rolleyes: I had a thought mid-way thru doing ^ post(s) so before I forget...

@Lilibet could it possibly be that Queen Victoria had only the two children who'd have teeth at the time Herman was still in Dresden?
If it was 1845 then wouldn't Alice (3rd child born 1843) still be a baby so it would be some time off before she'd lose her 1st teeth?
:cool:

Yes, she had Vickie in November 1840 and Bertie in November 1841. Probably 3 of the 5 teeth used in the bracelet were Vickie’s and 2 were Bertie’s.

:) Yeah I think it has...
I was thinking how records from that era would have been written. I don't think there was a 'Germany' as we know it now?
Thinking along that line (with my history knowledge basically all thanks to the brothers Grimm :D & Mad King Ludwig) rather than calling themselves 'Germans' wouldn't it be more likely be Prussian, Bavarian, Hessian & ... Saxon <is that right? lol>
poster,840x830,f8f8f8-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg
And by trying to think like a 19th century Saxon :D it lead me to...

:) Saxony’s royal court jeweler Moritz Elimeyer!

which then lead me to this fabulous gem;

Object de Vertu des sächsischen Hofjuweliers Moritz Elimeyer
(Object de Vertu of the Saxon court jeweler Moritz Elimeyer)
:eek:
2738.jpg

laden-semper.jpg

540x360.jpg
- Yeah I know it's not what we're looking for but it's soooo pretty - :p

Auction - Grosse Kunstauktion Nr.174 at 11.05.2019 - LotSearch.de

Great research KE! I love the egg, chicken, ring and crown! I’d never looked into Elimeyer and now I’m deep into that rabbit hole. I found this:

Moritz Eilmeyer (1810-1871)The biography of Moritz Elimeyer (1810-1871) and the history of his company are so far still largely in the dark. It is known that Moritz Elimeyer was a member of Dresden's Jewish community and supported the building of the Semper Synagogue. In 1840 the office building was rebuilt by Gottfried Semper. From 1856-1909 Elimeyer, and probably also his son, were purveyors to the Saxon King in Dresden as well as from 1847-86 ‘Jeweler, Goldsmith & Silversmith to Her Majesty the Queen of England.’ In 1910 goldsmith Jordan acquired the business.
BBM

Moritz Elimeyer, Silver Jardinère with Emblem, Germany,

I suspect that some of the dates are wrong, as they often are in articles about Herman Marcus, but it confirms the Queen Victoria connection.

OT but interesting history that Elimeyer being Jewish brings to mind...Marcus is a Jewish name in many cases. Although Herman was a professed and devout Christian during his life in NYC, perhaps influenced by his Scottish wife, I don’t know if he was originally Jewish. That may be how he ended up apprenticing for Elimeyer.

Herman’s great-granddaughter, my Episcopalian mother, bearing her maiden name Marcus, was visiting Germany (Munich or Berlin) in 1933 at the time of the book burnings of primarily Jewish authors. I was told by another family member that she had to leave Germany quickly to avoid trouble in case it was assumed she was Jewish. My mother would never speak of it, so I don’t have confirmation or details. She would have been 21 at the time. Chilling, if true.

1933 Book Burnings — United States Holocaust Memorial Museum

It’s really hard to understand how someone in her position would need to be “educated” about this subject so that she wouldn’t make such insensitive comments.

And good for Gene Kelly’s widow Patricia Ward Kelly! Good grief, has Lara never seen him dance?!

Not ballet, but: Gregory Hines & his brother tap-dancing in The Cotton Club!

(OT: I used to teach pre-K. In a metropolitan area with, er, um, a 'Gentleman's Club.' A child was taking dance lessons. I asked what kind, and suggested tap dancing. Another child said "I don't know about that, but my Mommy does a lap dance at work!")

'Unacceptable and incomprehensible': Gene Kelly's widow rips GMA host Lara Spencer for mocking Prince George over taking ballet lessons

Gene Kelly's widow rips GMA host Lara Spencer for mocking Prince George | Daily Mail Online

Patricia Ward Kelly's full letter

In 1958, my late husband, the dancer, director, choreographer Gene Kelly, decided to take on the stigma facing male dancers in an Omnibus television program for NBC that he created and starred in called “Dancing, A Man’s Game.” He hoped that by aligning the great sports stars of the day—Mickey Mantle, Johnny Unitas, Vic Seixas, Sugar Ray Robinson, among others—he could challenge and destroy the shame surrounding male dancers once and for all. For Gene it was more than a professional task. It was, in his words, a personal “crusade” to show that dancers are athletes and that it is okay for a man to be graceful. As he says in the special: “What could be more graceful than a football player throwing a pass—what is more excitingly beautiful than the swift movement of a double play? Every motion a good athlete makes is as beautiful as any a dancer makes.”

Sadly, on August 22, 2019, Good Morning America elected to run a disgraceful segment about Prince George and his ballet classes. That host Lara Spencer would mock a boy’s study of ballet in a nationally televised morning show and that her colleagues would join in her derision is both unacceptable and incomprehensible.

Gene was a classically trained ballet dancer and believed that his training was essential to all that he did. He was schooled in Chicago by a woman named Berenice Holmes who had been the student of the great Russian dancer Adolph Bolm. Gene said that Holmes could perform many complicated turns better than a man, including a double tour en l’air, and that she instructed him to dance with great strength, particularly in his arms. He knew that ballet training gave him the long, beautiful line that he sought in his dancing and, later, in his choreography for the camera that led to some of the seminal films of our time, including On the Town; An American in Paris; Singin’ in the Rain; Brigadoon.

Over the years, Gene advised many professional athletes to study ballet, including former wide receivers Willie Gault and Lynn Swann. Both acknowledge that the training improved their performance on the field. Many have followed suit. Gene would be devastated to know that 61 years after his ground-breaking work the issue of boys and men dancing is still the subject of ridicule—and on a national network.

ABC must do better.

Patricia Ward Kelly (Mrs. Gene Kelly)

Good letter. Imo.

Very nice letter. Bimbo move Lara Spencer

Gene Kelly dance scenes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors