Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I just hope AS has been cooperative with police. For whatever reason during the course of his several interviews, he’s chosen not to offer clarity of his last interactions with B, which is his right. And neither have B’s mom, grandmother or Ks parents, or anyone else who was aware of their plans to head up north aside from the great-uncle.

This type of information would be of interest to the investigation in understanding the circumstances of the departure of the two from Port Alberni, considering the homicides of L&C occurred only 2 days later.

In what way do you feel he hasn’t been clear? He’s said they had discussed Bryer leaving town and looking for work but that he thought it was something a few months down the road, he’s shown the screenshots which show times messages were sent, he’s also said dates, times with what was happening as in he was driving to meet him etc.

SBM I've not seen that last link. Thank you! That's interesting Bryer had been talking about leaving for awhile. I wonder if he had ever expressed interest in going to a specific place before or just vaguely said he wanted to leave.

That is interesting. So maybe they actually had intended to move and not for this to be a murder suicide thing. I think the fact that they made the decision to leave suddenly indicates something though. Like maybe they reached a point of "we can't take living in Port Alberni anymore" as a result of something that happened.

He may have been working that day, left right after work, and didn't notice the text until around 7:37 p.m.

He said he went to visit Bryer every payday. I wouldn't be surprised if he left after work, depending on what kind of work he does that could easily be at 5 pm, to go to the bank to cash his check (have to stand in line with everyone else on a Friday), and then left on the drive out of routine. With that kind of a timeline, it doesn't strike me as unusual at all.

So it sounds like Bryer messaged him early enough that he would have had time to put off the visit, but Facebook Messenger probably didn't receive the message until later because it's an awful app as I said before. Mystery solved on that one, I guess.

Maybe he felt bad since it sounds like Alan and Bryer discussed it (maybe even with Kam included) and it was sorta decided they would work for a few months and then do the whole “leave town and find work”. For some reason they decided to leave early (maybe Kam was anxious to get going?) and Bryer agreed to it. Not wanting to disappoint his father he was reluctant to tell him and waited until the last moment.

Isn’t this yet another example of Bs outright deception? There’s no justifiable reason to lead different family members to believe he was going job hunting at two different locations hundreds of miles apart. It’s seems he had no respect for anybody in his family and was well-practised in the art of deceit.

The inability to be honest including taking responsibility for one’s actions may’ve also been a motivator for their choosing not to voluntarily turn themselves in, instead attempting to run, flee and hide. IMO.

Well I just hope AS has been cooperative with police. For whatever reason during the course of his several media interviews, he’s chosen not to offer clarity to the public about his last interactions with B, which is his right. And neither have B’s mom, grandmother or Ks parents, or anyone else who was aware of their plans to head up north aside from the great-uncle.

This type of information would be of interest to the investigation in understanding the circumstances of the departure of the two from Port Alberni, considering the homicides of L&C occurred two nights later.

I hope they all cooperate. I haven't seen anything in the news to the contrary.

AS's initial outspokenness is the first and only time (in my life) that I've ever seen the parent of a young, would-be killer be so outspoken and present in the media in such short order. I know a lot of people have opinions as to why he would do so, but I'm not addressing that here. I'm just saying I've never seen it done before.

AS strikes me as a person desperately looking for answers, too, so my gut feeling and opinion is that he would try to help figure things out willingly and forthcomingly. JMO, though. Since the 60 Minutes episode was aired, AS seems to have disappeared off the radar. Likely due to legal advice and RCMP investigation requirements?

Would withholding info or misdirecting investigators not be considered a crime? Aiding and abetting? Just wondering - I present this question in all respect, and not in a challenging way.

In what way do you feel he hasn’t been clear? He’s said they had discussed Bryer leaving town and looking for work but that he thought it was something a few months down the road, he’s shown the screenshots which show times messages were sent, he’s also said dates, times with what was happening as in he was driving to meet him etc.

One only has to read the speculation on this thread to answer your question.

According to AS he spoke with his son everyday but he thought they were heading out months down the road? Did he know B had already quit his Walmart job and if so, why would it take months for B to commence job hunting? Lots of unanswered questions.

Could also be the little detail of it’s absolutely illegal to touch your phone while driving. Hard to check messenger when you know it could net you a huge fine.

That could be but I think he would have had a window of time from the morning message to check before his drive too.

Could also be the little detail of it’s absolutely illegal to touch your phone while driving. Hard to check messenger when you know it could net you a huge fine.

But people don't care about that. And he wouldn't have been driving the whole time.

I think it's quite likely he stopped in Nanaimo, just after 7:30, to text his son that he would be there soon and that's when he saw the text. It's quite possible he had to use wifi and that's why he didn't see it earlier, but it's also possible he just didn't see it.

It sure seems like Bryer didn't value his monthly visits very much though, doesn't it? To leave on the day his dad was coming out. On the other hand, Bryer did at least show his dad the courtesy of letting him know, I suppose, so there's that at least.

AS's initial outspokenness is the first and only time (in my life) that I've ever seen the parent of a young, would-be killer be so outspoken and present in the media in such short order. I know a lot of people have opinions as to why he would do so, but I'm not addressing that here. I'm just saying I've never seen it done before.

Same. That's what got me interested in this case.

BS may have chosen the timing of advising his dad specifically - according to he and KM's plans.

If he had told his father any earlier than he actually did, his dad would have had time to ask a lot of questions, which BS may not have wanted to answer.

If he and K had waited to leave PA after AS arrived so BS could tell his father, there may have been an in-person or phone argument that morning about his dad having driven all the way to PA and then finding out B was leaving that same morning, AS wanting to know exactly where they were going and what their plans were, etc. (If BS had still been in PA he couldn't have feigned ignorance about not getting his dad's calls due to lack of service.) Not only would it have held BS and KM's departure up, but it may have been destined to be a conversation that BS wanted to avoid.

The time and manner he chose to advise AS may have been very intentional, indeed. JMO

RCMP may have good reason to withhold suspected killer’s last wishes from father, experts say | The Star
VANCOUVER—The father of a suspected killer says knowing his son’s last wishes would help him find closure, but experts say RCMP is under no obligation to release the video containing those details to anyone at this point.

“The RCMP, unfortunately, their role is not to provide closure,” said Kyla Lee, a defence lawyer with Acumen Law who is not involved in the case........

......Lee said it is likely premature for Al Schmegelsky to demand the video from RCMP.

“We don’t know what other information is out there and whether there are potentially any other suspects or other layers to this or whether other people may be charged. We don’t know whether there was some element of assistance offered by any individuals,” Lee said, stressing that she was speaking entirely theoretically with no special knowledge of this police investigation......”

Am I correct in stating that the RCMP is under no legal obligation and has no requirement to ever disclose any information regarding any evidence that they may have collected in this case to anyone, or any other party?
Put another way, do they have unlimited time to assemble, analyze, edit, audit, and otherwise deal with anything that they have uncovered; anything that was found at the crime sites; and anything that was collected at the site where the two young men were found dead? Or do they eventually have to submit evidence to sufficiently support their findings and conclusions (whatever they are) to the Crown or to some other third party?

Isn’t this yet another example of Bs outright deception? There’s no justifiable reason to lead different family members to believe he was going job hunting at two different locations hundreds of miles apart. It’s seems he had no respect for anybody in his family and was well-practised in the art of deceit.

The inability to be honest including taking responsibility for one’s actions may’ve also been a motivator for their choosing not to voluntarily turn themselves in, instead attempting to run, flee and hide. IMO.

Who knows, maybe the grandma misspoke about Whitehorse or she didn’t really pay attention while being told the plans for where they were headed? Hate to say it but I often don’t always listen when my hubby says he’s heading to wherever, it’s a nod and sure dear type of acknowledgement. It’s only later when I double check that I know for sure. IMO with the complete lack of info it’s impossible to say who’s being honest or not.

So it sounds like Bryer messaged him early enough that he would have had time to put off the visit, but Facebook Messenger probably didn't receive the message until later because it's an awful app as I said before. Mystery solved on that one, I guess.

Highly unlikely. It's nowhere near as bad as you seem to think it is. AS either didn't notice or didn't have a connection.

I may have missed it but did AS happen to mention why his son stopped living with him and moved in with his grandmother or am I mistaken in my belief that Breyer lived with his father briefly before moving in with his grandmother?

I may have missed it but did AS happen to mention why his son stopped living with him and moved in with his grandmother or am I mistaken in my belief that Breyer lived with his father briefly before moving in with his grandmother?

He never mentioned it but given the timeline of his homelessness and arrests, it's not hard to figure out. He said in the 60 Minutes interview he's been homeless for about two years due to mental illness and Bryer lived with him about two years ago. And I believe he was arrested for criminal harassment in 2016 and 2018, after a few years with no arrests.

BS may have chosen the timing of advising his dad specifically - according to he and KM's plans.

If he had told his father any earlier than he actually did, his dad would have had time to ask a lot of questions, which BS may not have wanted to answer.

If he and K had waited to leave PA after AS arrived so BS could tell his father, there may have been an in-person or phone argument that morning about his dad having driven all the way to PA and then finding out B was leaving that same morning, AS wanting to know exactly where they were going and what their plans were, etc. (If BS had still been in PA he couldn't have feigned ignorance about not getting his dad's calls due to lack of service.) Not only would it have held BS and KM's departure up, but it may have been destined to be a conversation that BS wanted to avoid.

The time and manner he chose to advise AS may have been very intentional, indeed. JMO

Or maybe his dad would have successfully talked him out of the trip. Maybe his dad knew he didn't seem to hack construction once while trying with him and might see through a bogus story. AS might have some streets smarts Bryer's other family might not have, so maybe harder to BS dad. JMO

Am I correct in stating that the RCMP is under no legal obligation and has no requirement to ever disclose any information regarding any evidence that they may have collected in this case to anyone, or any other party?
Put another way, do they have unlimited time to assemble, analyze, edit, audit, and otherwise deal with anything that they have uncovered; anything that was found at the crime sites; and anything that was collected at the site where the two young men were found dead? Or do they eventually have to submit evidence to sufficiently support their findings and conclusions (whatever they are) to the Crown or to some other third party?
They are obligated to put together a report on their findings and present that to the public to assure the public that the true murders have been identified and are now deceased. Yes, in summary they would "have to submit (well, provide) evidence to sufficiently support their findings and conclusions".

The moment the suspects were confirmed to be dead, charges would be withdrawn and the prosecutorial services/Crown would no longer be involved.

They are not at all obligated to release any part of the video that KM and BS recorded to anyone, especially the public at large. They don't have to provide photo exhibits. They don't have to offer any raw data, only describe it. The final report will be most likely be text-only.

Oh, THIS article again. I've had arguments on Facebook before about THIS article LOL.

(What I wrote here is kind of sarcastic...but it's not directed at you, it's directed at whoever wrote this article)

First of all, again, there's a difference between "insane" and "mentally ill," as I said.

So mass murderers have 20x the rate of psychosis of the general population...but there isn't a link between mental illness and violence. Sure.

So they're really out here trying to say that 20% of these shooters have psychosis and...the rest of them are perfectly mentally healthy. None of these shooters have depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, personality disorders, or any of the other mental illnesses out there. Right.

Ok, that's psychiatric history. Not every person with a mental illness gets diagnosed. In fact a lot of them don't. And my guess is a lot of these mass shooters were not getting proper treatment, or else, well, they probably wouldn't have gone out and killed people.

Also even going by psychiatric history, that's about 2.5x the rate of mental illness compared to the general population. But sure, there's no link between mental illness and violence.

And then as the cherry on top of the "who cares about facts when you've got an agenda" sundae, they actually cited Dylann Roof as an example of a mass killer with no mental illness, when it is well known that he acted as his own lawyer specifically to prevent his mental health records from being released because he didn't agree with whatever he was diagnosed with.

EDIT: Same with Stephen Paddock: Investigators believe Las Vegas gunman had severe undiagnosed mental illness: Sources and Christopher Harper-Mercer: Oregon shooter: New details emerge about Chris Harper-Mercer - oregonlive.com Two other shooters that this hard-hitting piece of journalism cited as having no mental illnesses.

But if you don't agree with my analysis here's a challenge...look at the accounts of mass shooters in the media and see what percentage of them you can find that had clear symptoms of a mental illness.

I'm sort of amazed this article ever got published, but I guess it is the NYTimes, can't expect much.

Being an angry white male is not a mental illness.

RCMP may have good reason to withhold suspected killer’s last wishes from father, experts say | The Star

“You don’t want to put out a version of events that come from the two suspects or the two murderers when the victims didn’t get a chance to tell their story,” he said.

Bryan worked with York Regional Police for 30 years and now teaches forensics at Seneca College. He said he has seen his fair share of what he calls “self-serving” homicide explanations in these kinds of “suicide notes.”

I’ve read these notes, and they are absolutely contradictory to the cause of death. I don’t think that is fair to the victims’ families,” he said.....”

SBM/BBM - So is the forensics teacher saying he actually read these notes (if provided a paper transcript of video) of B&K or just in general in his past expertise?

I find that sentence could go either way. I can't tell if that comment is related to this case.

Or maybe his dad would have successfully talked him out of the trip. Maybe his dad knew he didn't seem to hack construction once while trying with him and might see through a bogus story. AS might have some streets smarts Bryer's other family might not have, so maybe harder to BS dad. JMO

Why would his dad talk him out of the trip? It was his grandma who he lived with and he’d already quit his job at Walmart. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with two friends their age leaving home, job hunting elsewhere with their families full support especially if that was their goal and they’d saved their own money to do so. Even if it didn’t prove successful it still provides a taste of independence, different experiences, meeting new people... Many parents are faced with the opposite situation, children who fail to launch and have no ambition whatsoever.

Nobody could’ve predicted the outcome here.

Why would his dad talk him out of the trip? It was his grandma who he lived with and he’d already quit his job at Walmart. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with two friends their age leaving home, job hunting elsewhere with their families full support especially if that was their goal and they’d saved their own money to do so. Even if it didn’t prove successful it still provides a taste of independence, different experiences, meeting new people... Many parents are faced with the opposite situation, children who fail to launch and have no ambition whatsoever.

There's definitely nothing wrong with it, but it doesn't mean AS would definitely see it that way. It's possible Bryer thought he'd be against it. Or that he'd ask too many questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie