Resolved OH - Mary Jane Croft VanGilder, 43, Plymouth, 1945

"SHELBY - Officials are planning to exhume the body of an unknown woman buried in Preble County decades ago in hopes it will solve the case of a Shelby-area woman who went missing 75 years ago.

Shelby police opened the cold case in October regarding Mary Jane Croft Vangilder, who disappeared in 1945.

Shelby police and the Preble County Coroner's Office are hoping to exhume the body of a "Jane Doe" in Eaton, Ohio, within the next few months to have DNA extracted and analyzed by the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation."

'Jane Doe' to be exhumed in cold case dating to 1945

"SHELBY - Officials are planning to exhume the body of an unknown woman buried in Preble County decades ago in hopes it will solve the case of a Shelby-area woman who went missing 75 years ago.

Shelby police opened the cold case in October regarding Mary Jane Croft Vangilder, who disappeared in 1945.

Shelby police and the Preble County Coroner's Office are hoping to exhume the body of a "Jane Doe" in Eaton, Ohio, within the next few months to have DNA extracted and analyzed by the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation."

'Jane Doe' to be exhumed in cold case dating to 1945
Eaton Jane Doe's thread:
OH - OH - Eaton, WhtFem, UP55702, 30-50, fingers hooked in small tree, May '68

The estimated post mortem interval is way off. I don't see anything coming of this, unfortunately.
Well, then we have a rule-out and can proceed to the next possible match. From what I understand, they are exhuming the Eaton Jane Doe and trying to get a DNA profile on her on file; if she's no match to Mary, maybe someone else in the system is?

Mary jane is my grandmother, this jane doe may or may not be her. The article your reading is not completely correct. She was found in that year but her body was much older. I have read the original, and they believe she had been dead for some time.

Turner, as well VanGilder's older daughter and two of her granddaughters, are hoping to get some answers when authorities exhume the body of a "Jane Doe" on Wednesday in Eaton, a town about 25 miles west of Dayton.

Turner said a lot of physical characteristics match up, leaving him cautiously optimistic.

"I know it's a longshot," he said. "This is the best time technology-wise to do it. There's a lot of cases being solved."

Jane Doe's body will be exhumed at 6 a.m. Turner and Shelby police Chief Lance Combs will be there, leaving in the middle of the night.

"The cemetery wants to start early and work slow," Turner said.

Members of the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation will collect DNA evidence from what will be skeletal remains.

Noting BCI has a backlog of cases, Turner estimates it could be three to six months before he gets any results.
Body to be exhumed in case of missing Shelby woman

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88