VA - Cullen, 1, Emily Bivens, 24, & Joan Bernard, 62, Pittsylvania, murdered, 26 Aug 2019 *Arrest*

The husband was told there was an accident. A team manager, and crisis worker flew with him home. He knew something happened and may have seen on social media or local news. LE issued a Bolo within a short time of arriving at the scene.They had a game scheduled the same day.

Jmho

I can't begin to even imagine the pain he is in now losing his family.

He had such a bright future, and from what I've read his coaches, and teammates loved him, and his wife.

It's just all so unbelievably heartbreaking.

Jmho

Quite possible. My younger brother had sudden onset of schizophrenia when he was about 20. It took us a couple of years to figure out what was happening to him.

So sad..I work in a long term psych unit and yes that's the age these things tend to strike. We have one resident who has bipolar and before his meds were working he came downstairs one night naked and tried to eat the Christmas tree. It took several staff to restrain him.

Then there was the model who had a psychotic manic break and was dancing naked in Times Square.

https://nypost.com/2016/08/06/a-manic-episode-led-me-to-strip-naked-in-times-square/

This guy is definately manic/psychotic or on some kind of drug.

I wondered why he did it? I saw the video and he really just looks out of his ever loving mind. He does not seem like he chose in his right mind to kill almost all his family. Maybe that's just wishful thinking. I also note in today's pictures and video of him he looks drastically thinner than earlier pictures.

A rack over the bedroom door? Not a safe? Parents with children in the home?
The racks are usually secured but yeah it's not the safest way to store a gun. My parents store their guns behind and above their bedroom doors as well.

I wondered why he did it? I saw the video and he really just looks out of his ever loving mind. He does not seem like he chose in his right mind to kill almost all his family. Maybe that's just wishful thinking. I also note in today's pictures and video of him he looks drastically thinner than earlier pictures.
I would not be surprised if drugs were involved. Him running around naked automatically made me think of PCP.

Law enforcement is providing an update on triple murder, manhunt in Pittsylvania County.

WATCH LIVE: Law enforcement is providing an update on triple murder, manhunt in Pittsylvania County.
---

WATCH: "We don't know what happened and it's our own family. But we have to stick together. That's the only way this world is going to make it." Tim Saunders WDBJ spoke with a relative about Joan Bernard, Emily Bivens and Cullen Bivens.https://bit.ly/34gZxQu

WDBJ7 - WATCH: "We don't know what happened and it's our...

Bernard+Family+082819.jpg

Last edited:
surprised the cop that was pepperspraying him didn't shoot him
I mean, I would've

This is a small farming community. The family owned a local campground, pond, beautiful place. The family was well known, good folks. The Sheriff and deputies knew the family, small community everybody knows everybody. Sheriff stated he knew family at last presser. They had to know he wasn't in his right mind.

Some have judged LE for not shooting him. He was buck naked, no weapon and clearly out of his mind. They had him surrounded. Pepper spray nor hitting him with the baton seemed to faze him. I praise LE for apprehending him without killing him.

JMHO

surprised the cop that was pepperspraying him didn't shoot him
I mean, I would've
There was no reason to shoot him.
He was an unarmed, naked 18 year old in obvious crisis.

Very likely LE knows the family and handled the situation in a way that would be most compassionate to the surviving family members (Including the mentally ill teen.).

Just out of curiosity, why would you have shot him?

This is a small farming community. The family owned a local campground, pond, beautiful place. The family was well known, good folks. The Sheriff and deputies knew the family, small community everybody knows everybody. Sheriff stated he knew family at last presser. They had to know he wasn't in his right mind.

Some have judged LE for not shooting him. He was buck naked, no weapon and clearly out of his mind. They had him surrounded. Pepper spray nor hitting him with the baton seemed to faze him. I praise LE for apprehending him without killing him.

JMHO

There was no reason to shoot him.
He was an unarmed, naked 18 year old in obvious crisis.

Very likely LE knows the family and handled the situation in a way that would be most compassionate to the surviving family members (Including the mentally ill teen.).

Just out of curiosity, why would you have shot him?
I thought they were doing the right thing (letting him run around like a fool and trying to pepper spray him) UNTIL he went to the old man (church caretaker I think) and started strangling him. That man could’ve really been hurt. So that changed my mind that they should’ve been more aggressive in capturing him. Not saying they should’ve shot him but maybe different tactics.

JMHO
This!
There was a press release statement from VA State police. I will try to find it but it did state LE followed protocol. #1 the teen was unarmed so they can’t shoot. (Had they done so we would be discussing why they didn’t use other means when he was clearly unarmed) #2 they stated it was apparent he was having a mental crisis #3 they are taught to keep a good distance from the suspect so that their weapon is not accessible to the suspect.
this teen has no prior criminal record and it has been said he and his family were good people. It’s an extremely tragic situation and it’s JMO but I am speculating he absolutely had no idea what he had done. I believe he is extremely ill and should be treated as such.

I thought they were doing the right thing (letting him run around like a fool and trying to pepper spray him) UNTIL he went to the old man (church caretaker I think) and started strangling him. That man could’ve really been hurt. So that changed my mind that they should’ve been more aggressive in capturing him. Not saying they should’ve shot him but maybe different tactics.
From the video I saw that at the point the LE officer did become more aggressive and hit him with the baton. Which worked because he released the man and left. JMO but that situation still didn’t warrant him being *advertiser censored* dead.

This!
There was a press release statement from VA State police. I will try to find it but it did state LE followed protocol. #1 the teen was unarmed so they can’t shoot. (Had they done so we would be discussing why they didn’t use other means when he was clearly unarmed) #2 they stated it was apparent he was having a mental crisis #3 they are taught to keep a good distance from the suspect so that their weapon is not accessible to the suspect.
this teen has no prior criminal record and it has been said he and his family were good people. It’s an extremely tragic situation and it’s JMO but I am speculating he absolutely had no idea what he had done. I believe he is extremely ill and should be treated as such.
Replying to my own post to add article with VA police statement.

Virginia State Police respond to criticism of how troopers arrested Matthew Bernard

JMHO

I agree. I criticize cops all the time for shooting to kill when there was no reason. This time it was impossible he had a weapon and, yes, was clearly off his gourd. I'm also glad they were able to take him down without even more violence. We need MORE police officers like that.

I agree. I criticize cops all the time for shooting to kill when there was no reason. This time it was impossible he had a weapon and, yes, was clearly off his gourd. I'm also glad they were able to take him down without even more violence. We need MORE police officers like that.

We DO have way more police officers just like that who never even fire their weapon much less shoot the suspect.

Somehow some seem to want to dwell on the negative when a very few of them fire their weapons, and even if they are forced to fire... the vast majority of the cases were done when the suspects also had deadly weapons who refused to comply to demands repeated over, and over deciding to assault the officers instead.

Our own grandson who is a Sgt. With our sheriff's department recently had to pull his weapon.

He was sent to the scene due to someone calling 911 about a man with a gun shooting at the caller's son. He arrived by himself even though he had called for backup. It was a serious situation for everyone in the neighborhood so he had to react swiftly without backup to eliminate the threat.

He found the suspect with the gun in his hand. Our grandson did pull his weapon. When the suspect saw him he pointed his weapon in his direction. He told the suspect to stop, and immediately drop his weapon. He told him if he didn't immediately drop his weapon he was going to fire. The suspect knew he meant exactly what he said. Our grandson is also a part of SWAT, and is an excellent marksman, although at this time he only had his handgun.

The suspect surrendered putting his deadly weapon down.

When the other officers arrived they told the suspect he came close to being shot, and possibly killed if he had not fully complied.

This same thing happens thousands of times in our country without shots ever being fired by the officers. 99.9 percent of police officers hope they never have to use their weapon to shoot anyone much less kill them.

This suspect had a long violent rap sheet including previous assaults of police officers, gang member, and drug, and robbery related crimes,

He was charged with not only trying to shoot his neighbor, but pointing a deadly weapon at a police officer. I hope this time he is off the streets for good so he is unable to terrorize those in his own neighborhood, and his past criminal history shows he is also a violent offender who will target police officers as well.

As far as how the police handled taking down this suspect was done correctly, just like it happens multiple times everyday everywhere where the suspect wasnt shot. Most AREN'T shot.

I will wait for the investigation to unfold as to why he was so violent, and aggressive. His uncle said he was fine on Saturday before the triple murder. What made him this way is unknown at this time to any of us.

I highly doubt he will be deemed mentally insane unable to stand trial, but we will see.

Jmho

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard
Back