CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
What better location could you choose for an abduction? Cacti don't talk.

To disappear her out of his life.

So hypothetically speaking, if he did indeed arrange an abduction. It's worked so far.

Four possibilities; she left and is in hiding, she's out there and hasn't been found, he killed her and dumped her body elsewhere, or she was abducted (arranged or random).
BBM

I'm going with no. 3.

I think the point was that if you were going to stage an abduction you would leave evidence behind on purpose to substantiate the abduction by someone else.

To add to that thought, you might also give yourself an iron-clad alibi by being physically somewhere else.

Its seems neither of these happened.

I understand the thought process with a staged abduction.
What I am questioning is the fact that a vehicle had to be moving to abduct her.

Another thing that was new in RT and BT's lives this year (in addition to the recent purchase of the new truck and RV) is that they didn't plan a trip to go to Canada to visit RT's family, as they had done yearly in the past (according to posts by our VI). I wonder why. Something must have changed in the family dynamic where he grew up in Canada for him to stop going there this year, after years of doing so. MOO

IMO, what changed is Barbara - she was now going to see her own family. TWICE within about a year or a little more. There may even have been financial reasons why no trip to Canada...since Barbara was flying to Hong Kong and staying in hotels there.

Barbara was more independent. Their own dynamic changed.

What better location could you choose for an abduction? Cacti don't talk.

To disappear her out of his life.

So hypothetically speaking, if he did indeed arrange an abduction. It's worked so far.

Four possibilities; she left and is in hiding, she's out there and hasn't been found, he killed her and dumped her body elsewhere, or she was abducted (arranged or random).
I'm going with #3 but changing it a little.
He killed her elsewhere and left her body there.

IMO, what changed is Barbara - she was now going to see her own family. TWICE within about a year or a little more. There may even have been financial reasons why no trip to Canada...since Barbara was flying to Hong Kong and staying in hotels there.

Doesn't RT have a plane that he could fly to Canada at any time? MOO

<modsnip: referenced post was removed> Also, one other thing changed, if I understand correctly - Barbara had recently resumed contact with her son? This was from a post from our VI. I may not fully understand the context, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't RT have a plane that he could fly to Canada at any time? MOO
Yes, so them taking separate vacations could have been new as well. I thought I saw somewhere that he does have a current pilots' license, but even without one, no flight plans needed or tracking of private aircraft occurs in the US to any great extent IMO, but not sure about crossing the border into Canada. MOO

I think BT's disappearance was pre-planned, and happened the weekend before she went overseas alone to be with her family for a reason.

MOO
Snipped for length by me.

I think RT thought that she was not planning on coming back from the Japan trip to be with him. He wasn't about to let her go. Away from him, she would get the nerve to leave him. JMO

Yes, so them taking separate vacations could have been new as well. I thought I saw somewhere that he does have a current pilots' license, but even without one, no flight plans needed or tracking of private aircraft occurs in the US to any great extent IMO, but not sure about crossing the border into Canada. MOO
It wasn't. Barbara travelled alone to Hong Kong for a family visit last year.

would someone please point me in the right direction or post a link to the son's interview and / or RT's relaying of his polygraph examination? thank you xo

It wasn't. Barbara travelled alone to Hong Kong for a family visit last year.
By 'new' I was referring to things that were different in the last year (including last year when she took the first trip alone to be with her family, and commented to them how it had been such a long time since she had done anything without RT) ETA: within the context of their 13 years of marriage. Just pondering things that might have changed over time, like things they used to do (e.g., going to Canada every year) that they didn't do this year, or things they didn't use to do (e.g., taking trips without eachother) that they're doing more recently.

MOO

Last edited:
On the contrary, luck and coincidence can contribute greatly to a person's opportunity. I believe that the point of the post you responded to is that the window of opportunity would've been so small as to require a large element of luck and coincidence to make an abduction a feasible scenario.

I got curious about the actual odds of this happening, so I tried some google "research." Basically the odds of BT being a victim of stranger abduction are so small as to be out of the realm of realistic conclusion. Here are my big take-aways, with the explanation of how I got there to follow:

BT had a 0.5% chance of a car passing her with a man in it who would commit a sexual assault IF she had stood at the side of the road until 201 cars had driven by that each had only men (or one man) in it. (The odds are MUCH smaller if only a few cars passed her on the roadside.) This statistic DOES NOT factor in abduction, only sexual assault. However:

There is about a 0.00013% chance of an adult woman being abducted by a stranger.
I understand what you're saying, but it wasn't what I meant. Certainly it is a matter of coincidence and extreme bad luck for the victim. But I was thinking about it from the point of view of a perpetrator. Not one who plans to go out and snatch someone on a particular day or in a particular place, but one who takes opportunities as they present themselves.
I don't want to argue about it, I know what I mean but I'm obviously not expressing it very well.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>
By my estimation, the maximum time that elapsed between the first time when Sheryl Powell was first missed and the latest time that Barbara Thomas could've been missed was approximately 2 1/2 hours, while the drive between the two locations is at least 4 3/4 hours. So it seems almost impossible that the same perpetrator could have been involved in both incidents. I discuss this in more detail in this post:

CA - CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #6

JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
She could have theoretically lasted for a couple of days. If she didn't wander in circles she could be quite far from those rocks.

e.g. If she was in great shape she could have walked 5 or more miles that first afternoon and a couple more that night or next day.
unless she was possessed, tripping on drugs, completely delusional or running in terror, she would have found the road imo. theoretically you are right, but she was not walking blindfolded with earplugs in. yes, they were in the middle of the desert, but they were still very near a road.

eg... if you live near a coast it is quite easy to orient yourself based on where the coast is. if you are in relative flatlands, within a few miles of a road, and agile enough to reach high ground/climb boulders (which 69 yo barb was), you can find your way back to the road.

i say this, because i also have been out in this and other deserts. and other wilderness areas. some places aren't easy to get lost, even for directionally impaired ppl. this was one of those areas, based on sroad's descriptions and photos, available in media thread, combined with roberts first-hand description of the area and recounting of events.... Barbara did not wander the wrong way by accident.

sixth or seventh time i've felt the need to say so, and i say so quite firmly.

sure, it is possible. but IMO this is not a believeable scenario. Even less believeable to me than random abduction.

BBM
Agreed re. the bolded.

I'd posted the same earlier and then deleted as it didn't seem relevant.
Maybe it is ?
My .02 is that 130 lbs and 5'9" is dangerously thin for a healthy person of 69 years.

I'm 5' 5" ish and that's what I weigh. I'd love to be about 5-7 lb less, but I'm considered slim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong