Deceased/Not Found IL - Chaunti Bryla, 43, bank account emptied, Chicago, 14 Mar 2019 *Arrest*

Detectives investigating the case visited the hotel about a week later — helped along by a tip from Bryla’s family. They found a container, like the one shown in the video, in an alley behind a strip mall near the hotel. Police sought a search warrant to test it for Bryla’s DNA.

The results haven’t been released, but Chicago detectives stated in their request for a warrant that they had a “reasonable belief” that evidence from the container would be linked to Bryla, 43.

Chicago police confirmed Wednesday they suspect foul play and are looking for one of the two men with the container — a parolee who attacked another woman several years ago with a pipe and hammer, then set her on fire.

The Tribune is not naming the parolee because he hasn’t been criminally charged in Bryla’s disappearance. Illinois Department of Corrections records list him as an “absconder,” which means he has stopped remaining in contact with a parole officer.
Chaunti Bryla disappeared last March. Chicago police now suspect foul play and are looking for parolee with violent history.

It gets uglier. Chaunti had invited a paroled felon with multiple convictions of violence against women to LIVE with her (while her son was living with another family member). This Chicago news article implies it's the same man as was seen on the surveillance tape. His previous arrests are disturbing. I'm afraid she will not be found alive. A disturbing video. A mysterious blue container. An AWOL parolee with a violent history. Chilling details surround the case of a missing Chicago woman

Thank you for the informative article, GraceG.

Unfortunately it doesn’t seem likely that Chaunti is alive. She seems like a beautiful and kind woman.

Snipped from the article:
Bryla allowed the 34-year-old to live with her after he was paroled last year. Bryla knew the man for years because he was related to the father of her son.

Last edited:
I find it strange her bank account was emptied at several atm locations. My atm card I can only get like 300 in cash at an atm a day. My moms is a different bank and has a similar restriction

Possibly because they purchased things and got cash out? I’m not sure how it works in the US.

Lots of answers in the Trib article:

After Bryla disappeared, her family discovered that her bank account had been depleted. They printed up all her account transactions and gave them to police, who tracked them back to the 34-year-old.

One of the transactions was a purchase from Bryla’s account at a Walmart in the West Chatham neighborhood on March 16, two days after she was reported missing, according to search warrant records. A day later, there was a transaction at a Dunkin’ Donuts and another in south suburban Calumet Park.

“These unusual withdrawals were corroborated by video surveillance showing (the 34-year-old man) in possession of the missing person’s debit card,” the search warrant papers show. “CPD retrieved all available video of the transactions.”

Detectives also tracked down the man’s order for a Lyft ride on March 17. Police interviewed the driver, who told them about the container — a story verified by video surveillance from near the hotel.

The "container" being examined to DNA evidence of Chaunti, has also been described as "large" in addition to "blue", so I'm pretty sure we can deduce accurately why they think it has her DNA in it. :(

I have Capital One Bank here in the US. I can take $1000 a day out of my checking using my ATM.

But if you say buy groceries at the store can you take cash out if paying by card? In NZ we have a limit at the ATM but you can take more out if you say purchase groceries and get cash out too(that is even if you’ve taken the limit out at an ATM) I hope that makes sense.

But if you say buy groceries at the store can you take cash out if paying by card? In NZ we have a limit at the ATM but you can take more out if you say purchase groceries and get cash out too(that is even if you’ve taken the limit out at an ATM) I hope that makes sense.

Some stores will as a courtesy, but usually the amount is capped at $40-$60, in my limited experience; probably because the stores don't have mountains of cash in the cashiers' drawers in the manner of an ATM.

Some stores will as a courtesy, but usually the amount is capped at $40-$60, in my limited experience; probably because the stores don't have mountains of cash in the cashiers' drawers in the manner of an ATM.
If you go to grocery stores you can take out 100 at least here in CO, I think more. Also,I have a withdrawal of 3000 a week so you just hit up 10 different atms. This did actually happen to me,so I know it can. Most people aren't holding huge amounts of cash...maybe between 1-10k in checking.

If you go to grocery stores you can take out 100 at least here in CO, I think more. Also,I have a withdrawal of 3000 a week so you just hit up 10 different atms. This did actually happen to me,so I know it can. Most people aren't holding huge amounts of cash...maybe between 1-10k in checking.

Good to know! I'm in NY and tried once to get $200/$100 at a local Manhattan chain, thinking I could thereby save myself a trip to the ATM. I could not, which answered the question of why I had not been doing so up until that time. :oops:

Detectives investigating the case visited the hotel about a week later — helped along by a tip from Bryla’s family. They found a container, like the one shown in the video, in an alley behind a strip mall near the hotel. Police sought a search warrant to test it for Bryla’s DNA.

The results haven’t been released, but Chicago detectives stated in their request for a warrant that they had a “reasonable belief” that evidence from the container would be linked to Bryla, 43.

Chicago police confirmed Wednesday they suspect foul play and are looking for one of the two men with the container — a parolee who attacked another woman several years ago with a pipe and hammer, then set her on fire.39

The Tribune is not naming the parolee because he hasn’t been criminally charged in Bryla’s disappearance. Illinois Department of Corrections records list him as an “absconder,” which means he has stopped remaining in contact with a parole officer.
Chaunti Bryla disappeared last March. Chicago police now suspect foul play and are looking for parolee with violent history.

The bolded part- it just makes me sick that this guy was let out of jail after that! What on earth? Scary to think poor Chaunti might have had any contact with this guy.

Or allowed this creature into her home ! Made my hair stand up and got a chill when I read that. Was related to her ex.....:(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back