NC - Paitin Fields, 5, raped & murdered, Pender County, 12 Nov 2017 *ARREST in 2022*

He’s locked up now is when you should have your ducks in a row and get him charged with her murder! Where’s the DNA? Cmon LE!! I wish I were closer I would’ve joined the activists today. I’m just hearing of this case. Sick!!

I am wondering about the DNA. It says that she showed signs of sexual assault. Possibly she was assaulted with an object; therefore, there was no DNA found. :(

I probably watch too much TV, but I would think that there would be a hair or something from her being strangled. I just don't understand why they haven't buttoned this one up!

I am wondering about the DNA. It says that she showed signs of sexual assault. Possibly she was assaulted with an object; therefore, there was no DNA found. :(

I probably watch too much TV, but I would think that there would be a hair or something from her being strangled. I just don't understand why they haven't buttoned this one up!
I couldn't agree more!

Last edited:
Yes. This is very sad situation. Such a precious little girl. There were 2 men living in the home at the time, uncle and step-grandfather (not blood related) and I believe the grandmother was there along with Paitin’s younger sister. It seems they both men took her to the hospital. So their DNA could of course reasonably be on her and her clothing.
Seems like rape kit would have turned up DNA, but someone somewhere in this thread indicated that there was evidence she had been cleaned up. Not sure where they found that information, as I don’t think it was in the press. Maybe a court document? Though those were sealed at least initially.
The uncle (who is in prison now on an alternate offense) was named as a suspect. All I can think is that they are hoping he will talk to someone or confess. Or that the girls grandmother (uncle’s mother) or step-grandfather will come up with information. But you can imagine that gets real complicated. Hope someone does the right thing. Sad, sad, situation. Bothered me from the beginning.

This is one of the worst cases I've ever followed. We don't have a missing adult here. We have a child who we know was raped and murdered. And we know exactly who was in the house. How the hell can this police department do so little for this child? I'd be terrified to live in that area.

This is one of the worst cases I've ever followed. We don't have a missing adult here. We have a child who we know was raped and murdered. And we know exactly who was in the house. How the hell can this police department do so little for this child? I'd be terrified to live in that area.
It makes me wonder if it’s a case of a tight knit small community protecting one of its own. It’s hard to believe not a shred of evidence was found pointing to one of the two men present that night. This was not a crime committed by a genius, there has to be a heck of a lot of people who know exactly what and who did this but they aren’t coming forward for some reason.

I forgot nothing is online in this county. I did search for him in PC Jail, but evidently he's not in custody?!

Someone posted and asked if the case would ever be solved Pender County Sheriff
Maybe if we also post, the SO will respond?

Prevatte is still in prison for 1 -- 2 years in the NC system for "intimidating witnesses" -- conviction date was 03/25/2019. Here is his NC Dept. of Public Safety record.

NC DPS Offender Public Information
------------------------------​
Here's a refresher article for those who haven't seen it or just to refresh -- from December, 2018 --
‘KKK’ writing, racial epithets draw interest in 5-year-old girl’s killing

By Brandon Wissbaum | December 18, 2018 at 4:49 PM EST - Updated December 19 at 6:53 PM

PENDER COUNTY, NC (WECT) - Race could have been a factor in the sexual assault and murder of a 5-year-old girl in a rural Pender County community, according to court documents unsealed this week.

The documents, a series of search warrants filed in connection to the killing of 5-year-old Paitin Fields in November 2017, further implicate the only known suspect in the case, her now-20-year-old uncle, David Prevatte.
‘KKK’ writing, racial epithets draw interest in 5-year-old girl’s killing

Maybe something will happen now that he is incarcerated (but not for long) -- maybe folks will be a bit more inclined to talk to investigators now that he's in the jailhouse. Sounds like a great guy. SMH. Maybe folks are scared of him -- he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would back down to much of anything. He's 20 years old and probably knows everything, ya know.

Let's keep hoping for justice for that beautiful little girl.

I wonder if the delay could be due to the fact that Paitin father is a Lumbee, as is Paitin I believe. Lumbers are very close knit and like to sort out their own troubles and woes but how far would that stretch?

Her father had been fighting for answers to find the person responsible for killing his beautiful baby girl. Has it ever been known for people with such tribal connections to actually go ahead and deal with such things in their own way if they get the chance.

I forgot nothing is online in this county. I did search for him in PC Jail, but evidently he's not in custody?!

Someone posted and asked if the case would ever be solved Pender County Sheriff
Maybe if we also post, the SO will respond?

He is not in Pender County Jail custody -- he's in the State system. He's apparently been charged and convicted and sentenced to prison time.
He is incarcerated within the State of NC prison (Dept. of Public Safety) system.
Here's a link to his record in NC DPS --

NC DPS Offender Public Information

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member