GUILTY NJ - Carolyn Byington, 26, killed inside her home, Plainsboro, 10 June 2019 *Arrest* #2

View attachment 202161 View attachment 202162

His reddit account goes back seven years. Nothing too out of the norm, but these posts certainly sound more sinister given what we know now

I post stuff on here, as do many of us that are theories and ideas that can get gruesome but not things we want to act out. If accused of murder I'm sure some post wouldn't paint me in the best non murderous light. The zombie one might be harmless but the other ones could pass as dark humor maybe but with murdering someone it's sinister and implies he has been thinking about murder and crime and how to get away with it for awhile.
moo

I post stuff on here, as do many of us that are theories and ideas that can get gruesome but not things we want to act out. If accused of murder I'm sure some post wouldn't paint me in the best non murderous light. The zombie one might be harmless but the other ones could pass as dark humor maybe but with murdering someone it's sinister and implies he has been thinking about murder and crime and how to get away with it for awhile.
moo

I agree with you. For example, I think that the things he said at work about the license plate is weird-- yet I must confess that I am a license plate curious person. I have a facility for numbers and letters (not mathy) and the arrangements on plates. I could recognize the license plates of my co-workers who park in my lot after a couple of weeks of walking by the cars. (I am the only person of my age that still does the license plate game on trips because I like to see who is from where.) I would also recognize close matches to my co-worker's plates if I saw them on the highway. It isn't pathological but rather a thing that just trips in my brain. I have noticed license plates that are 2 numbers or letters off of mine with a recognition that that car and mine were registered in close time proximity. But, I am not a murderer or felon of any kind.

This guy's behaviors are odd and, more likely than not, he has committed this horrendous crime. But, we all have little oddities that make us unique.

I agree with you. For example, I think that the things he said at work about the license plate is weird-- yet I must confess that I am a license plate curious person. I have a facility for numbers and letters (not mathy) and the arrangements on plates. I could recognize the license plates of my co-workers who park in my lot after a couple of weeks of walking by the cars. (I am the only person of my age that still does the license plate game on trips because I like to see who is from where.) I would also recognize close matches to my co-worker's plates if I saw them on the highway. It isn't pathological but rather a thing that just trips in my brain. I have noticed license plates that are 2 numbers or letters off of mine with a recognition that that car and mine were registered in close time proximity. But, I am not a murderer or felon of any kind.

This guy's behaviors are odd and, more likely than not, he has committed this horrendous crime. But, we all have little oddities that make us unique.

That's actually cool to be able to remember licence plates. I like licence plate bingo or noticing the different colors for each state. I the letters and numbers are only fun when they look like a word or are a word. If you thought you saw your coworker driving before she was murdered, that isn't weird if you tell the police. You would also probably be freaked out thinking you saw her in her car and moments later she was being murdered. You wouldn't ask about evidence that could implicate you. That's where he gets creepy.

I agree, I also have that kind of memory where I can make a really weird connection with something insignificant that would seem odd if I tried to explain it. In itself, it doesn't mean much that he recognised a number plate as familiar. The interesting thing is that he had to talk to the colleague about it.

It sounds like an effort to infiltrate himself into the story as an innocent party, someone who was shocked and saddened by Carolyn's death and who is now so traumatised and distressed that even some little thing can set him off. Everyone in the workplace would have been having moments of distress where they walked into the coffee room or past Carolyn's workspace and felt the loss and the shock.

He probably wanted to bond with them by sharing this sense, and came up with his own "moment" - "I thought I saw her number plate while driving." It says a lot about his relationship with Carolyn that this was his bond with her - searching for her number plate in the traffic. But talking to his colleagues, it would have seemed particularly off, because they are all standing in a place where Carolyn had worked alongside them.

In this case, however, I'm guessing that he doesn't have a quirky connection to numbers and license plates. He probably never paid attention to them until he started stalking her.

That's actually cool to be able to remember licence plates. I like licence plate bingo or noticing the different colors for each state. I the letters and numbers are only fun when they look like a word or are a word. If you thought you saw your coworker driving before she was murdered, that isn't weird if you tell the police. You would also probably be freaked out thinking you saw her in her car and moments later she was being murdered. You wouldn't ask about evidence that could implicate you. That's where he gets creepy.
Totally true on the freaked out part if I thought I had seen her and she was killed not long after. I see his question about circumstantial evidence as very creepy, especially since he had talked to a lawyer to get info on the investigation---he did not need to ask the co-worker except to try and gauge their thinking about him.

Too bad Carolyn didn't have an Alexa Echo Dot or Echo Show, or a phone with voice commands set up so she could have yelled out "Alexa. Call 911. Kenneth Saal from work" or whatever, in case he got away after he killed her. Or maybe the Alexa can turn on at the sound of screaming or yelling?

I just thought of all of this when I used the Alexa Echo Show system that's located throughout our house a few minutes ago I haven't warmed to until now). It could probably summon 911 with a simple command set up ahead of time. Even if the perp ripped it out of the wall, the message would have gone out. Plus we have multiple devices. They can be mounted high up, too, so they're not easy to disable. So if a perp was trying to mess with the Alexa, I might be able to flee. It could also film the room or at least hear me say the name of a known attacker. I sound like a planted commercial, don't I? But I need to look into this more!

We don't always have our phones at the ready in our homes, and think of how hard it would be to press buttons on it while running, etc. To that end, I'm also going to learn my phone voice commands. If it's in my purse in the corner of my messy bedroom, the perp would have to find it in order to disable it. And I would take that opportunity to run!

I hate being home alone at night but this makes me feel better. I wish Carolyn had been able to summon help and name her attacker instead of counting on her neighbors.

What is this about? Anybody know the case or the individuals involved? This seems more concerning than other posts. It was 4 months ago...about a month before the murder.
He mostly posts about superheroes and baby stuff.
So a serial killer was uncovered in Cryus, a 35-year-old military guy. Ken is alleging he knew Sarah Funky and the guy she was traveling with...the video has been taken down but those wow want to can scroll through to find the greek version. Its disturbing. They go to a red lake in Cyprus and talk about possibly being murdered and death. She is another pretty girl, just disturbing on all levels.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-03 at 11.40.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-03 at 11.40.52 PM.png
    44.4 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
What is this about? Anybody know the case or the individuals involved? This seems more concerning than other posts. It was 4 months ago...about a month before the murder.
So a serial killer was uncovered in Cryus, a 35-year-old military guy. Ken is alleging he knew Sarah Funky and the guy she was traveling with...the video has been taken down but those wow want to can scroll through to find the greek version. Its disturbing. They go to a red lake in Cyprus and talk about possibly being murdered and death. She is another pretty girl, just disturbing on all levels.

I wonder if the police are aware of these posts. Thinking back to the anonymous caller who said KS told her he wanted to rape and kill someone 11 years ago, it appears as though he had a weird fascination with murder/death/crime.

Last edited:
I wonder if the police are aware of these posts. Thinking back to the anonymous caller who said KS told her he wanted to rape and kill someone 11 years ago, it appears as though he had a weird fascination with murder/death/crime.

When KS arrest was reported (August 22), LE made it known the investigation was continuing because LE probably know KS is a predator. This message likely resulted in anonymous caller too. IMO, FBI's been scrubbing all of his accounts.

The investigation remains active. Anyone with information is asked to call Detective Tim McMahon of the Plainsboro Police Department at 609-799-2333, ext. 1627, or Detective David Abromaitis of the Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office at 732-745-4436.

Last edited:
I am sure police are aware of his online activities and accounts. The fact that he alleged to know two people who travelled to Cyprus and incidentally helped solve a serial killer case overseas by filming a suitcase later found to have human remains isn't conclusive evidence. Its creepy and sick. The guy who did it confessed and they used the online video to pin point the location because of extra rains and the deep red color of the lake made it hard to locate.
I do wonder if Saal reached out to Sarah Funky, a well known online poster/personality who posted the video with her male friend after viewing this. It doesn't put him in Carolyn's apartment, but it does give police two more people he claims to have known.
Suitcase retrieved from red lake contains woman's body (Update 3) - Cyprus Mail

I am sure police are aware of his online activities and accounts. The fact that he alleged to know two people who travelled to Cyprus and incidentally helped solve a serial killer case overseas by filming a suitcase later found to have human remains isn't conclusive evidence. Its creepy and sick. The guy who did it confessed and they used the online video to pin point the location because of extra rains and the deep red color of the lake made it hard to locate.
I do wonder if Saal reached out to Sarah Funky, a well known online poster/personality who posted the video with her male friend after viewing this. It doesn't put him in Carolyn's apartment, but it does give police two more people he claims to have known.
Suitcase retrieved from red lake contains woman's body (Update 3) - Cyprus Mail

I was just going to add the woman who filmed the suitcase is Sarah Funk, a NYC travel/ producer and show host. I wonder if he really knew her or just in his mind.

I was just going to add the woman who filmed the suitcase is Sarah Funk, a NYC travel/ producer and show host. I wonder if he really knew her or just in his mind.

If I was reading the right posts he made on reddit he had a lot about gaming music, accounting. I'm not trying to blame video games and I didn't feel like reading the posts involving games but I think part of the appeal is that it is like a fantasy world idk. You wonder if that kind of thinking became part of his actual world. In posts he mentions a fiance and then wife, it seemed like she shared his interests in gaming or supported it. That could also be made up. Only his wife would know that. I expected someone that was more incel and ranting on the internet.

Too bad Carolyn didn't have an Alexa Echo Dot or Echo Show, or a phone with voice commands set up so she could have yelled out "Alexa. Call 911. Kenneth Saal from work" or whatever, in case he got away after he killed her. Or maybe the Alexa can turn on at the sound of screaming or yelling?

I just thought of all of this when I used the Alexa Echo Show system that's located throughout our house a few minutes ago I haven't warmed to until now). It could probably summon 911 with a simple command set up ahead of time. Even if the perp ripped it out of the wall, the message would have gone out. Plus we have multiple devices. They can be mounted high up, too, so they're not easy to disable. So if a perp was trying to mess with the Alexa, I might be able to flee. It could also film the room or at least hear me say the name of a known attacker. I sound like a planted commercial, don't I? But I need to look into this more!

We don't always have our phones at the ready in our homes, and think of how hard it would be to press buttons on it while running, etc. To that end, I'm also going to learn my phone voice commands. If it's in my purse in the corner of my messy bedroom, the perp would have to find it in order to disable it. And I would take that opportunity to run!

I hate being home alone at night but this makes me feel better. I wish Carolyn had been able to summon help and name her attacker instead of counting on her neighbors.
You can summon Siri on your iPhone the same way. She responds to voices on request to call 911. You can also squeeze the on/off button and one of the volume buttons as the same time to activate an emergency call. I'm betting Android and Samsung phones have the same capabilities.

These are all especially helpful things to remember when in danger. Often, I bet our minds don't even go there though. I have to remind myself about it even when there is no emergency.

Exactly. Poor Carolyn was probably so shocked at her co-worker, perhaps even friend of years suddenly striking at her. She had no chance. Makes me so mad. I sure hope the DNA evidence is solid.
You can summon Siri on your iPhone the same way. She responds to voices on request to call 911. You can also squeeze the on/off button and one of the volume buttons as the same time to activate an emergency call. I'm betting Android and Samsung phones have the same capabilities.

These are all especially helpful things to remember when in danger. Often, I bet our minds don't even go there though. I have to remind myself about it even when there is no emergency.
e

The fact that he told a co-worker that he freaked out seeing her LICENSE PLATE # is the most incriminating thing so far in this entire case. Who but a stalker would know a co-worker's license plate?! I don’t even know my own. What an insane comment to make! It shows that his thinking is not normal—and killers aren’t normal, so that makes sense. Wow. He's also an idiot like Chris Watts. In fact, he's stupider, which I didn't think was possible. To then admit this to a coworker?! I have no words.
Knowing her license number might be no odder than him knowing her address -- just one more weird action on his part.
My workplace had its own private parking lot, and part of an employee's "info sheet" was the license number. I worked at a secured location -- an Info System company where we had a large development and info processing center. Maybe that was the reason, but I think a lot of companies do ask for this info as a normal part of employee and security info.
His knowing her address and her license tag no. are the really weird parts of his MO, I agree. And his telling a co-worker is just plain stoopid, IMHO. And I certainly agree with you, @TruthIsStranger, that his knowing it is very incriminating. Did he not think so as well? Why on earth would he have mentioned it to a co-worker? He either looked it up on her employee record, as he may have done for her home address, or he just stalked the parking lot long or often enuff to see her get into or out or her car at work. Gives me the <shivers>. Mensa material, he ain't!! :rolleyes:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back