GUILTY CA - Boat fire near Santa Cruz Island; 34 missing, Sept 2019 *captain charged*

Good call on reporting the safety hazard and it is a credit to the store management that they rapidly corrected it.

I think, however, that the store exit you described, though not ideal was still a viable second exit. If they needed to, a large number of people could rapidly escape that way.

In contrast, the alternative exit on the boat was not only imperfect, but it was not viable. In contrast to your emergency exit, no realistic number of people were going to be able to escape via the boat's alternative hatch.
Both were exits into the galley and both were blocked by fire. At least one should have been an exit to disembark. Earlier today a naval forensics expert from Berkeley stated that changes will need to be made to prevent this from occurring again.

What happened with James Kohls, who was waiting to hear from his brother, Mike Kohls, the galley cook and deck hand? There were six crew members and one was a female asleep with the passengers and is assumed dead, and the other five escaped. So his brother would be one of the survivors. He has probably talked to him by now.

Both were exits into the galley and both were blocked by fire. At least one should have been an exit to disembark. Earlier today a naval forensics expert from Berkeley stated that changes will need to be made to prevent this from occurring again.
Imagine the chaos trying to escape from that sardine can with 34 people while in utter darkness, breathing smoke and surrounded by flames. There were parents trying to save their kids and everyone’s individual survival instinct is strong. I can’t imagine the horror. I don’t think they all went quietly in their sleep, but god I hope I’m wrong.

“There is two escape routes out of that hull that I know of. One is ladder and one is the hatch. If you got 30 divers at the bottom of that and you got a flash fire, it’s hard to imagine how difficult it would be for everybody to be calm and clear and get out of there… The hatch would be easy to escape from in a slow moving situation but in a fast moving fire, if you had a big person, could be real difficult,” he explained.

Another diver who is familiar with the Conception, Steve Barber, said he has dived off the Conception too many times to count. He said the hatch is a small hole that is only about two-and a-half feet above a top bunk.

“Those big boats often have gasoline or propane for the kitchen, and combine that with a fire that gets out of control, it’s going to get serious really fast,” said Watkins.

“The crew knows where the extinguishers are, there are automatic extinguishers that go off. From hearing the crew jumped in the water, it would seem to me the fire was so fast moving that it was a matter of life or death and they couldn’t get to the guests.”
Deadly Diving Boat Fire Puzzles San Diego Diving Community

Experts say investigators will chart the ship's final voyage from the moment it pulled from a Santa Barbara dock early Saturday morning until dispatchers received the frantic mayday call of the breathless captain overwhelmed by smoke early Monday.

They will review the ship's layout, maintenance records and even photos from former passengers.
Burning boat takes clues of fatal fire down to watery grave

What happened with James Kohls, who was waiting to hear from his brother, Mike Kohls, the galley cook and deck hand? There were six crew members and one was a female asleep with the passengers and is assumed dead, and the other five escaped. So his brother would be one of the survivors. He has probably talked to him by now.

I was going to say he should have heard from him within hours... but I couldn't find anything anywhere.

Until I found this... which was posted 3 minutes after the initial tweet.........

Rita Garcia‏Verified account @TheRitaGarcia
Rita Garcia Retweeted Rita Garcia

BREAKING UPDATE: James says his brother Mike is SAFE!

7:46am Pacific Time September 2

Rita Garcia‏Verified account @TheRitaGarcia
DEVELOPING: James Kohls just arrived on scene looking for his brother Mike. He says his loved one works as a cook onboard the dive boat named #Conception. It caught fire early this morning. 33 passengers are still unaccounted for. #FoxLA

7:43am Pacific Time September 2

Smoking on Board?

Hey @Penelope :) Thanks for your post w an idea I overlooked.
In quickly skimming thru website for boat/yacht/craft, I did not notice policy about smoking on board, might have missed it. Anyone? Thx in adv.
I am 100% certain that smoking was not allowed on board.

And divers are health conscious and need healthy lungs for diving. The vast majority of divers are non smokers.

Imagine the chaos trying to escape from that sardine can with 34 people while in utter darkness, breathing smoke and surrounded by flames. There were parents trying to save their kids and everyone’s individual survival instinct is strong. I can’t imagine the horror. I don’t think they all went quietly in their sleep, but god I hope I’m wrong.
I hope the smoke got them while asleep, but if the fire was on the 2nd level (as it now sounds like it was) and they were on the level below, I can't turn off the nightmare image in my head of them trying to escape but the escape route lead into the fire instead of away from it.

jmo

The owner of the vessel "Conception" talked exclusively Tuesday morning with Spectrum News 1 about a deadly fire on his boat Monday off the Southern California coast.

Below is more from my interview with Fritzler.

Brunell: "What do you want the public to know?"

Fritzler: "I want people to know that there [are] two entrances into the bunking area: a main entrance and an emergency escape hatch. I want people to know that the area, the salon that people enter into the boat to access the area, there were no doors. It's a wide open doorway and no doors. There were no locked doors anywhere ... We did lose a crewman that was below deck, stationed down below decks with passengers, perished as well as best as we know ... That was the only reason that any of the crews survived is they were on the upper deck and the flames reached up there and they had to make a large leap off the boat to escape the boat ... I want them to know that a couple of the crewmen swam to the stern of the boat, that could not access any of the fire hoses because they were engulfed."

Brunell: "I understand that people also think that the mayday calls were made from outside of the boat. Were they made on the dinghy or were they made in the wheelhouse?"

Fritzler: "They were made in the wheelhouse. He made two calls. The second call where you can hear him say, "I can't breathe." That was the second call. At that point he had to jump off the boat. The other crewmen were already off the boat. The captain was the last to leave the boat crying to Radio Coast Guard."

Brunell: "What do you think about the speculations and the people out there who think the crew bailed on the passengers?"

Fritzler: "There is no way. They did everything in their power to help, but the flames just spread. That's the investigation. Nobody understands why this fire spread like it did ... The investigation has to continue, but you know, we're all so surprised. We also have to remember this boat's been in operation since 1981. It's taken thousands upon thousands of people out over that period of time with no fire incidents whatsoever."

Brunell: "Is it surprising to you that so many people were not able to get out? I mean, can a fire spread that quickly on a boat that there would be no time for anyone to leave that bunk area?"

Fritzler: "Yes to both. I am utterly surprised, and the only thing that I can possibly conceive is that people suffocated quickly. The smoke, well I guess it was billowing."

Brunell: "The training that goes into preparing people on a boat for the event of a fire. I mean, how trained are people, are your crew members, to deal with an explosion or a rapidly moving fire?

Fritzler: "They're all well-trained. They're all mariners. They're all trained, and you know, unfortunately we didn't have access to any of the firefighting equipment."
"I'm Numb": Boat Owner on Deadly Fire Near Santa Cruz Island

THIS is such an important read.
How horrific for the crew.

MOO

David Ono on Twitter
The outline of where that tragic boat fire took place. The dive boat is now on the ocean floor near Santa Cruz Island. 20 bodies have been recovered, 14 are still missing. We’ll have the latest and new video @ABC7
EDkx9QvW4AUfqmF.jpg

3:53 PM - 3 Sep 2019 from California, USA

FOX 11 Los Angeles on Twitter (Video)
U.S. Coast Guard released this video on Tuesday of a Coast Guard Sector San Diego MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter crew responding to the fatal Conception boat fire off Santa Cruz Island. Rescue crews searched approx. 160-sq. miles over the next 23 hours. More: http://bit.ly/2NQ8pqb
4:11 PM - 3 Sep 2019

Heather Holmes on Twitter
#UPDATE: Rescue workers give up hope of finding any survivors from that horrific boat fire in Southern California. "It is never an easy decision to suspend search efforts," said @USCG Capt. Monica Rochester. Many of the victims are from #SanJose & #SantaCruz. Such a tragedy.
EDk5N__X4AAIU4N.jpg

4:24 PM - 3 Sep 2019

My heart goes out not only to the surviving crew but to all the responders, dispatchers, firefighters, coastguard, reporters, camera operators , other boats & people in that area who must of witnessed with unimaginable horror.

JMO

My husband and I are on vacation in California. I looked into this exact company to possibly go diving with while here. They seemed to be the best and have the most information on their website. We ultimately decided not to. I am so so sad that so many adventurous souls lost their lives. Divers are some of the most amazing people I’ve ever met, those who are concerned with the health of the earth and the oceans, who appreciate the creatures on this earth. Such a shame

I would think an escape hatch attached or going out to the hull(like a porthole) would be very high risk to cause the boat to take on water if it ever leaked.
Googling escape hatches..most complaints from boat owners are the exit (up top)takes on water. I wonder if that is why the conception hatch exited into a cabinet.

Here’s a photo of the hatch ( entrance) above the top bunk
Conception Hatch

Cabinet ( exit)
https://www.scubaboard.com/community/attachments/78cf6482-fa58-4518-b064-0c53299ee0e0-jpeg.538418/

JMO
That would be very difficult to get out of or find! Thank you for posting the photos

The connection to the galley above makes me wonder about the possibility of a propane leak. When it leaks, the gas is heavier than air and seeks the lowest level. When it sparks it goes all at once. JMO

The connection to the galley above makes me wonder about the possibility of a propane leak. When it leaks, the gas is heavier than air and seeks the lowest level. When it sparks it goes all at once. JMO
Beachsky posted an article a few posts up of the owner of the company and he said there wasn't any propane on the boat. I was surprised because I thought that's what happened too. Now I'm thinking it was an electrical short or a lithium battery that caught on fire.

I highly recommend everyone read it. Lots of info.

Beachsky posted an article a few posts up of the owner of the company and he said there wasn't any propane on the boat. I was surprised because I thought that's what happened too. Now I'm thinking it was an electrical short or a lithium battery that caught on fire.

I highly recommend everyone read it. Lots of info.

Thanks for the info. Yes, a lithium battery fire could be possible, especially if it also caught fire to the boat fuel supply.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back