Hurricane Dorian - August/September 2019 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
South Carolina boy saving up for Disney World trip donates money to Hurricane Dorian evacuees instead

Jermaine Bell was supposed to spend his seventh birthday at Disney World. He’d saved up money to take his family on a trip to Animal Kingdom in Florida.

Instead, he emptied his piggy bank to buy hundreds of hot dogs and serve them for free to Hurricane Dorian evacuees passing through their South Carolina town.

The 6-year-old opened a hot dog stand along the side of a busy road in Allendale and offered those escaping the coast free franks, water, chips and prayers.

“The people that are traveling to other places, I wanted them to have some food to eat so they can enjoy the ride to the place that they’re gonna stay at,” he told CNN affiliate WJBF.

South Carolina boy saving up for Disney World trip donates money to Hurricane Dorian evacuees instead
BLESS HIS KIND KIND HEART. Brings tears to my eyes.

Dorian creeps up US coast; near-record storm surge feared

CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) — Weakened but still deadly, Hurricane Dorian crept up the Southeastern coast of the United States on Wednesday and millions were ordered to evacuate as forecasters said near-record levels of seawater and rain could inundate the area.

The Category 2 storm, which ravaged the Bahamas with more than a full day of devastating wind and rain, threatened to swamp low-lying regions from Georgia to southeastern Virginia as it moved northward.

Dorian appeared likely to get dangerously near Charleston, which is particularly vulnerable since it is located on a peninsula. A flood chart posted by the National Weather Service projected a combined high tide and storm surge around Charleston Harbor of 10.3 feet (3.1 meters); The record, 12.5 feet (4 meters), was set by Hugo in 1989.

Stores and restaurants were boarded up with wood and corrugated metal in the city’s historic downtown, and about 830,000 people were under mandatory evacuation orders on the South Carolina coast. More than 400 people were in state-operated shelters statewide, and more were expected.

Mark Russell, a homeless U.S. Army veteran, said he had been in a shelter since Monday awaiting slow-moving Dorian.

“Once the rain comes and the wind hits, it’s going to blow left, right, in and out, and there’s not really a place that you can find” to avoid it, said Russell, 63.

In North Carolina, where authorities said an 85-year-old man died after falling from a ladder while getting ready for the storm, Gov. Roy Cooper warned about the threat of storm surge and flash flooding from heavy rains. The Outer Banks were particularly vulnerable.

Georgia’s coastal islands were also at risk, Gov. Brian Kemp said Wednesday.

“We are very worried, especially about the barrier islands getting cut off if we have these storm surges at the same time as … the high tides,” Kemp said.

Read more: Dorian creeps up US coast; near-record storm surge feared

This update makes me so worried about our daughter/family who are in Charleston.

They decided not to evacuate this time. I pray they made the right decision since they can see the ocean from their upstairs balcony.

I guess it may be safer than where they use to live on Sullivan's island in this same area. It will probably take the full brunt of this hurricane.

I keep texting her ever so often to make sure all of their communication devises stay fully charged.

I just wish it would turn east, and spare everyone in all states, but that's just wishful thinking I know.

Jmho

'There is nothing left' on island in the Bahamas after Dorian

(CNN) - This is an island so ravaged by Hurricane Dorian, it took three days for any outsider to get there.

Now Man-O-War Cay, once an idyllic haven in the northern Bahamas, is a giant pile of rubble.

"There is nothing left" CNN's Paula Newton said in front of the remnants of a building.

"We're talking about damage (to) 90% to almost 100% of everything that is here."

Man-O-War is part of the Abaco Islands, where at least 20 people were critically injured by the hurricane, Bahamian officials said.

'There is nothing left' on island in the Bahamas after Dorian

I just saw on Fox they are finally able to have 600 searchers on the ground.

Those who search these kind areas are heroes too to know what devastation lies ahead for them to find while always hoping for miracles that they find survivors.

Imoo

Jermaine Bell was supposed to spend his seventh birthday at Disney World. He’d saved up money to take his family on a trip to Animal Kingdom in Florida.

Instead, he emptied his piggy bank to buy hundreds of hot dogs and serve them for free to Hurricane Dorian evacuees passing through their South Carolina town.

The 6-year-old opened a hot dog stand along the side of a busy road in Allendale and offered those escaping the coast free franks, water, chips and prayers.

“The people that are traveling to other places, I wanted them to have some food to eat so they can enjoy the ride to the place that they’re gonna stay at,” he told CNN affiliate WJBF.

No doubt, this young precious boy has been raised well by his parents.

Beautiful story. Thanks.

This update makes me so worried about our daughter/family who are in Charleston.

They decided not to evacuate this time. I pray they made the right decision since they can see the ocean from their upstairs balcony.

I guess it may be safer than where they use to live on Sullivan's island in this same area. It will probably take the full brunt of this hurricane.

I keep texting her ever so often to make sure all of their communication devises stay fully charged.

I just wish it would turn east, and spare everyone in all states, but that's just wishful thinking I know.

Jmho
I’m thinking about your daughter, sil & grankiddos too. Did you tell them to close all their interior doors? I’ve never heard that before, but did it in the wee hours before we left the house because of your post. We all think so much about protecting the outside & having enough to eat & drink. Who knew there were things we can do inside to help keep the outside intact!? Thanks OBE!

Jmho

Praying for your family OBE (and all still in the path of Dorian). I believe it could still make a turn or fizzle out. Hoping for the best.

Did anyone see on the news the before Google images of the area devastated in the Bahamas, and the after image?

Omg! Even what we are seeing now from the aerial footage does show how much of it is totally gone, and totally under water.

Many of the deceased victims will never be found because they were most likely swept out to sea.

Its beyond heartbreaking. There really are no words than can ever begin to express what has happened to them, and the magnitude they have suffered.

It reminds me somewhat of Haiti years ago. :(

jmho

I’m thinking about your daughter, sil & grankiddos too. Did you tell them to close all their interior doors? I’ve never heard that before, but did it in the wee hours before we left the house because of your post. We all think so much about protecting the outside & having enough to eat & drink. Who knew there were things we can do inside to help keep the outside intact!? Thanks OBE!

Oh gosh, after I made sure to give that tip to my WS family, JJ, I forgot to tell Maria.

Thanks so much for reminding me. I think my brain is fried by now. Lol!!

I will do it now though.

Hurricane Dorian Public Advisory

AIR FORCE HURRICANE HUNTER REPORTS THAT DORIAN HAS STRENGTHENED A
LITTLE...
...EYE NOW EAST OF THE COAST OF SOUTHEASTERN GEORGIA...

SUMMARY OF 500 PM EDT...2100 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...30.6N 79.8W
ABOUT 150 MI...245 KM S OF CHARLESTON SOUTH CAROLINA
ABOUT 275 MI...440 KM SSW OF WILMINGTON NORTH CAROLINA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...110 MPH...175 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNW OR 345 DEGREES AT 8 MPH...13 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...961 MB...28.38 INCHES

WATCHES AND WARNINGS
--------------------
CHANGES WITH THIS ADVISORY:

The Storm Surge Warning has been extended northward to Poquoson,
Virginia, including Hampton Roads.

A Tropical Storm Warning has been issued from the North
Carolina/Virginia border to Chincoteague, Virginia, and for the
Chesapeake Bay from Smith Point southward.

A Tropical Storm Watch has been issued from north of Chincoteague,
Virginia, to Fenwick Island, Delaware, for the Chesapeake Bay from
Smith Point to Drum Point, and for the Tidal Potomac River south of
Cobb Island.

The Storm Surge Warning and Tropical Storm Warning have been
discontinued south of the Flagler/Volusia County line.

-----------------

STORM SURGE: The combination of a dangerous storm surge and the
tide will cause normally dry areas near the coast to be flooded by
rising waters moving inland from the shoreline. The water could
reach the following heights above ground somewhere in the indicated
areas if the peak surge occurs at the time of high tide...

Isle of Palms to Myrtle Beach SC...5 to 8 ft
Savannah River to Isle of Palms SC...4 to 7 ft
Myrtle Beach SC to Cape Lookout NC...4 to 7 ft
Cape Lookout NC to Duck NC, including Pamlico and Albemarle Sounds
and the Neuse and Pamlico Rivers...4 to 6 ft
Flagler/Volusia County Line FL to Savannah River...3 to 5 ft
Duck NC to Poquoson VA, including Hampton Roads...2 to 4 ft

Water levels could begin to rise well in advance of the arrival of
strong winds. The surge will be accompanied by large and
destructive waves. Surge-related flooding depends on the how close
the center of Dorian comes to the coast, and can vary greatly over
short distances. For information specific to your area, please see
products issued by your local National Weather Service forecast
office.

RAINFALL: Dorian is expected to produce the following rainfall
totals through Friday:

Coastal Carolinas...6 to 12 inches, isolated 15 inches.

Far southeast Virginia...3 to 6 inches.

Atlantic Coast from Daytona Beach, Florida to the Georgia-South
Carolina border...2 to 4 inches, isolated 6 inches.

This rainfall may cause life-threatening flash floods.

Keep us posted on your Daughter and Family OBE. It must be stressful for you as well as them.

Thank you. Yes, I am sooo stressed out!
I'm sure it shows in my posts, lol, but posting here helps me immensely.

I'm sure it does others as well.

RR on Fox said in the new update it has increased in wind speed. Very close to being back up to a CAT3!!

God please help all in its path.

@enelram @Jax49 @lonetraveler
How are things looking in your areas? If I missed anyone else in the path, please excuse me & jump in!

We are leaving Savannah- not so concerned w flooding, but w cat 2 winds & trees falling thru our roof & landing on our heads. Too many live oaks & pine in the area.

Speaking of cat- he hates the car, but this time practically ran TO the leash. Makes me wonder what he knows something the weather people don’t.

Driving...
Stay safe. Drive carefully and report when you can.

A Florida couple had a baby during the hurricane and named it Dorian
From CNN's Lauren Johnson

ac60eef8-ed18-4ef1-9e4b-a075684d8ef6.jpg

Baby Tadashi Dorian Davis was born at AdventHealth DeLand on Sept. 2 at 11:07 a.m. AdventHealth DeLand chief operating officer Samuel Aguero (left) and AdventHealth DeLand CEO Lorenzo Brown (right) visited the family to congratulate them on their new bundle of joy. AdventHealth DeLand

Live updates: Hurricane Dorian threatens the US after devastating the Bahamas - CNN

Congratulations to the couple on the birth of their new baby!

I must say boo-hiss on the name. It's their choice, of course, but I don't understand why anyone would want to name their baby after a hurricane that has caused so much devastation and death.

I wish Baby Dorian a long life of Peace, Love, and Joy.

How will Dorian compare to Irma and Matthew’s rainfall, storm surge and wind in Beaufort County?

[...]

Forecasters are most worried about storm surge in Beaufort County as Dorian approaches.

“Those storm surge levels could be similar to Matthew or Irma, or worse,” Ron Morales, meteorologist at the National Weather Service in Charleston said.

Since 2016, Beaufort County has endured 2 major tropical events — Matthew in 2016 and Irma in 2017.

Matthew was a lesson in wind for us,” Beaufort County Emergency Management director Lt. Col. Neil Baxley said in 2017. “Irma was a lesson in surge.”

Here is how those Dorian numbers compare with Irma and Matthew in Beaufort County.

Matthew Oct. 8 2016
  • Highest wind speed: 88 mph on Hilton Head Island
  • Tallest storm surge: The closest instrument to measure the surge, at Fort Pulaski, recorded a 12.5 foot surge, a record for that tidal gauge. In Beaufort County, highest unofficially recorded amount a 8.73 foot surge at the May River.
  • Highest total rainfall: 14.04 inches on Hilton Head
  • Closest storm came to county: 5 to 10 miles offshore from Hilton Head Island
  • When peak of storm hit: 5 a.m. Oct. 8
  • Beaufort County power outages: 80,000

• Category: 1
  • Evacuation duration: About five days; afternoon of Oct. 4 to evening of Oct. 9; Hilton Head bridge reopened 2:45 p.m. Oct. 11
Read more here: https://www.islandpacket.com/news/weather-news/article234696232.html#storylink=cpy

BLESS HIS KIND KIND HEART. Brings tears to my eyes.

I'm crying too, JudgeJoe.

I applaud you Jermaine Bell. You are a kind, empathetic young man. Your generosity is beautiful. You are beautiful.

We can all learn from Jermaine Bell's example. Although young in years, he is a kind & wise soul upon this earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member