Australia Australia - Novy Chardon, 34, Upper Coomera, Qld, 6 Feb 2013 #2 *Guilty*

Wow ... I wonder how the judge can instruct that?? A verdict takes as long as it takes.
I suppose that the judge is telling them not to dilly dally. If they feel certain, then a verdict should not be delayed.
That does sound extraordinary. I wonder if the jury said they were in agreement after an extremely short time and so the judge sent them back to check their work.

That does sound extraordinary. I wonder if the jury said they were in agreement after an extremely short time and so the judge sent them back to check their work.

Yes, that sounds more likely. The judge doesn't want to risk an appeal.

But, if found guilty, Chardon will probably appeal anyway. His lawyer trying hard to find some anomaly that he can appeal on. "Chardon was presented as a despicable man with prejudice" or whatever.

Last edited:
The prejudice originated from his lawyer and the way he described his client! Imagine if he used that argument...hmmm he could give it a shot. MOO

IMO the circumstantial evidence is extremely strong in this case.

Judge did not instruct the jury to come back with a result this afternoon. She went to great lengths to explain that they could come back with more questions, take all weekend to think about it, and come back next week if need be.

Once the jury gone, judge talked with the legal eagles about the what ifs... If a retrial early 2020 etc. That's also when the media made their requests for release of info. Print media asked for release of affidavits - dunno what. All of the above was prior to 11:30am.

I wonder when the evidence of PF that was collected when he was JC cell mate got struck out? I am sure prosecution would have preferred it examined. Upon reflection,

It was in mid October last year that the request for a judge-only trial was knocked back. They were still quibbling about Foster possibly 'going rogue' on the stand at that time.

Category: | The Courier Mail

Just as well they struck it out IMO, I just don't trust anything PF ever says. My fingers are crossed for the jury to see the weight of the (circumstantial) evidence that I believe is so damning. We'll see!

Last edited:
Surely there will be an Appeal by the Prosecution.
Did the jury, hear what we have here, on Websleuths?
John Chardon guilty of manslaughter over wife Novy's death
By 9News Staff
3:23pm Sep 9, 2019
John Chardon has been found guilty of the manslaughter of his wife, Novy.
The 72-year-old Gold Coast businessman was on trial in the Brisbane Supreme Court over his 34-year-old wife's death, which occurred during a bitter divorce in 2013.
Ms Chardon went missing from the Upper Coomera area on February 6, 2013 and her body has never been found.

After nine hours of deliberations, a jury today found Chardon not guilty of murder but guilty of manslaughter after the three-week trial heard he received a letter about custody of the couple's children from his wife's divorce lawyers on the day she went missing.
Throughout the trial, Chardon was placed on the stand to give evidence to his trial for three days and suggested he did not know what may have happened to his wife.
The 72-year-old also suggested she may still be alive and said "she could be running around the world somewhere".
Ms Chardon's two best friends were in court to hear the verdict today and her family will now prepare a victim impact statement to be read to the court.
A sentence is expected to be handed down in the coming week.

Last edited:
A conviction is just that - he is convicted for his actions that resulted in the death of his wife Novy Chardon.

Murder needed a unanimous decision. Manslaughter is a majority decision.
With the sentencing later in the week, we can be satisfied that this 73 year old won't be troubling any more young women in this lifetime.

Manslaughter, ok. That's disappointing.

But I guess as long as it sticks and he stays in jail for the rest of his miserable life, it's acceptable as a form of Justice for Novy.

I wonder if eventually someone will talk. Has the main business suffered from boycotts, bad PR, etc? Been keeping an ear out for that sort of thing but so far haven't heard anything. I imagine there are deep division lines---people like John Chardon always cause this sort of conflict by targeting the poor and vulnerable and waving $$$.

My sincerest condolences go to Novy's family and friends, particularly her children.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eleanor D.
Back