GA - Marsha, Erin, & Chris Edwards, Murder/Suicide, Atlanta, 21 August 2019

Pic of the funeral service shows the community is striving to show compassion for the woman they knew.

There's no doubts from what long-time friends say that Marsha was a great mother and she loved her children. Everyone is left baffled.

It definitely seems there's more to this story we may never know.

‘I could not ask for better children,' mom said on Instagram before killing adult kids in apparent murder-suicide
Curious, and forgive me if it's been mentioned but did either of the adult children have significant others? Did they have full lives away from their parents and school? I'm wondering if perhaps a serious relationship was in the making for one (or both) of the adult children and it was threatening to Mom.

Curious, and forgive me if it's been mentioned but did either of the adult children have significant others? Did they have full lives away from their parents and school? I'm wondering if perhaps a serious relationship was in the making for one (or both) of the adult children and it was threatening to Mom.

LaborDayRN, I wondered also if something big was happening that made the mother feel she was losing something crucial and couldn't go on.

I wish I could answer your questions, but I wasn't able to get a handle on the children's independent lives. It wasn't clear if they lived with Mom or had their own places. Erin said married naming someone on left side in intro of her fb, but that person didn't seem to still be part of her life at present. Sorry, don't know if the son had a significant other either, but maybe someone else on here knows more.

IMO, her children looked up to her or so it seemed. Perhaps they were somewhat proof of her accomplishments. She, for some reason, couldn't leave them alive to go on without her. It's unexplainable to me.

Erin Edwards

LaborDayRN, I wondered also if something big was happening that made the mother feel she was losing something crucial and couldn't go on.

I wish I could answer your questions, but I wasn't able to get a handle on the children's independent lives. It wasn't clear if they lived with Mom or had their own places. Erin said married naming someone on left side in intro of her fb, but that person didn't seem to still be part of her life at present. Sorry, don't know if the son had a significant other either, but maybe someone else on here knows more.

IMO, her children looked up to her or so it seemed. Perhaps they were somewhat proof of her accomplishments. She, for some reason, couldn't leave them alive to go on without her. It's unexplainable to me.

Erin Edwards
Thanks Curious Me for your response. I'm also struggling to wrap my head around what on earth could have made her want to end her beautiful children's lives. Just horrible.

I was searching for the police report but I haven't seen it made public. Maybe this is just an open and shut case and she outlined the murder/suicide in a note; then they are just filing it away. The family obviously has political connections so maybe they are able to use some influence to keep it out of the media. I think people following the story just want some insight on what may have caused this. Really strange case; the only motive seems to be mental illness and even that seems like speculation.

So I found this article with a link to a Boston globe article that I found interesting. Namely, what the neighbor said about ME. It is a stark contradiction to what everyone else says about ME. I know people sometimes say things because of cognitive dissonance (i.e my neighbor did something horrible, therefore they must have been horrible this whole time), but truthfully, what the neighbor said has been the only thing that has made sense to me. We used to have a neighbor who had great ties to the community and everyone loved him but we knew he was secretly an alcoholic with a temper. Maybe the neighbor saw something no one else saw. Or maybe the neighbor made it up. Who knows, but though I’d share the article that just came out about how deceiving social media is as well as links to the other article. One lesson of murder-suicide: Social media told a tall tale - The Boston Globe

Reading these Posts brings back memories for me I’d rather forget. I lost my lovely daughter to suicide ten years ago. She had just graduated with honors as a physicist with her whole world ahead of her. There were no obvious warning signs . The profound sense of shock I felt cannot be underestimated. The shock her close friends felt was expressed to me and continues to this day. We are still recovering. The sense of unbelievability that someone so accomplished and who had everything going for her could be in such pain to do such an act is something you can never, ever, rationalize. That is the horror of suicide.

I feel so much for this family and friends. I do understand the total disbelief felt by all. I can even sense the disbelief in some of these posts. But I can tell you it happens and makes no sense.

Yes, I have compassion for anyone who is in such agony they feel this is the only solution. The only thing I have trouble with,moo, is the fact she had to bring the children with her. If we are to believe LE, it was an incredibly cruel act. That being said, no one who commits suicide is thinking rationally.

I wish this family and their many friends peace.

I am so sorry for your loss. Your daughter sounds like a lovely person and my heart goes out to you and her when reading this. Suicide is incomprehensible and like you said, those who fall victim to it are not thinking rationally.

Today is World Suicide prevention day.
9-10-2019
World Suicide Prevention Day
However I still do not get the murder/suicide and I doubt I ever will understand that.
It seems to be happening a lot of late.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
We can all help prevent suicide. The Lifeline provides 24/7, free and confidential support for people in distress, prevention and crisis resources for you or your loved ones, and best practices for professionals.

1-800-273-8255
Home

Is there more info in the Boston Globe articles than this: "Family and friends do not speak ill of the dead, but Edwards’s neighbor, who witnessed her behavior up close and day to day, observed that Edwards was a “very, very unhappy” woman."

I got one shockingly short article with only that info and a link to another article that would require me to pay.

Here u go Beatrix:

“Even in a world where there is the presence of violence — where mass shootings no longer shake us as deeply as they should — the crime still stunned. It was difficult even to comprehend. Edwards had raised Chris and Erin, loved them, encouraged them, worried about them, and exulted in their triumphs, large and small, like any good mother would.”

“It was there for everyone to see, especially on social media. Erin had recently written that Marsha was “the best mother of all time.” And so the deaths left the unsettling sense that perhaps you can’t trust what you see with your own eyes. Because from the outside, the family seemed to be successful, loving, content.”

“In a statement the next day and in the official report, police said Marsha fatally shot Chris and Erin before turning the gun on herself. They did not offer evidence explaining why they believed Marsha was the primary suspect, and they declined to comment further. Through a spokesperson, Dr. Christopher Edwards declined to comment for this story.”

“The home where the killings occurred, a four-story townhouse in a placid gated community in the Vinings suburb of Atlanta, also appeared picturesque. Crickets hum; Mercedes and BMWs are clustered near neat green lawns. Marsha bought the house in 2016, according to public records. She had a strained relationship with her next-door neighbor, Rebecca Cartall, and her daughters; Cartall described her as a “very, very unhappy, very unpleasant woman.” But that impression does not square with statements from Marsha’s friends and relatives, who said she was an engaged, cherished member of the community.”

“Neither the family nor the police have publicly offered any motivation for the murders. Marsha’s siblings declined interviews, but others who witnessed the family from afar described her as a particularly devoted mother.”

“She did everything with her children, everything,” said Brenda Edwards, an aunt by marriage to Erin and Chris. “She stayed home, raised their kids. She even helped me out with my children.”

“Christopher and Marsha Edwards divorced in 2012, but to some onlookers they seemed to remain on good terms. During Erin’s freshman year at BU, they came to visit Boston together and took Erin and friends out to a fancy meal in the North End, according to Thelemaque.

“When we went out to dinner, they were very friendly with each other,” Thelemaque said.”

Here u go Beatrix:
“The home where the killings occurred, a four-story townhouse in a placid gated community in the Vinings suburb of Atlanta, also appeared picturesque. Crickets hum; Mercedes and BMWs are clustered near neat green lawns. Marsha bought the house in 2016, according to public records. She had a strained relationship with her next-door neighbor, Rebecca Cartall, and her daughters; Cartall described her as a “very, very unhappy, very unpleasant woman.” But that impression does not square with statements from Marsha’s friends and relatives, who said she was an engaged, cherished member of the community.”

This story quotes neighbor Rebecca C., who describes ME as “unhappy” and “unpleasant”, and their relationship as “strained”, but this other story quotes Talia C. (Rebecca's daughter, maybe?) who characterizes the family quite differently. Wonder what accounts for this seeming disconnect? https://www.wfmz.com/news/cnn-natio...wife-killed-adult-children-herself/1112427172

I'm just watching here in a later time zone. Dr. Oz introduced the case saying something about Marsha's "evil" act. Nancy Grace says Marsha was living the high life, but that the grown children were moving on. Wow, Nancy admits that she, too, constantly talks about her twins, so she identifies with being super involved in her motherhood. They seem to be considering empty nest syndrome as a motive. I'm going to listen to more. Be back later.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back