Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
With no mobile services available for such long distances, do the locals simply hope for the best or use radio or satellite phones or something else to communicate? I (personally) would not be setting out on a road trip where there was absolutely no way to communicate for over 1000 k's if I needed help.

Last edited:
Of all the stories about the remoteness on the Alaska Highway, some of the strangest stories come out of Fort Saint John, where in 2017 a 7,640 sq. ft. house on 160 acres (with diamonds in the fireplace) went on the market for $6 million. All the furniture was imported from Russia and China. The property was featured in the Globe and Mail.

More recently, the news is about an ISIS supporter arrested in Fort Saint John and currently out on release awaiting deportation in Enderby, B.C. Opponents point out the proximity of Enderby to the Revelstoke Dam.

Enderby mayor calling on Ottawa after alleged ISIS supporter released into B.C.’s Southern Interior
Former Fort St. John man arrested on terrorism charges released from custody - Energeticcity.ca

Or maybe for a short time they connected in the bush in Gillam somehow.. near a camp or hydro facility and police caught it and that’s why they stuck to searching the area.
I thought that as well, that there was a chance they connected at some point.... even if once, it could be enough for police to track that ping. IMO

Great point, never thought of it that way, that a public appeal could have triggered something further.
But then wouldn’t that indicate the parents believed that K&B committed the 3 murders? If they were concerned a public plea would cause further carnage? Just thinking out loud....

PA tourism shouldn't be expecting many New Yorker tourists anytime soon, infamy or not.

At SteamPunk Café, a popular spot in downtown Port Alberni next to a park where local drug addicts shoot up, a young woman with a nose-ring confided that one popular theory in town was that the botanist had killed the young couple, prompting the teenagers to kill him after he went after them, and then fleeing and being killed by vigilantes in Manitoba.

We've only ever stopped at PA to gas up before continuing on to Tofino, but that popular cafe now seems to offer much creative conversation. To appreciate it best perhaps, would require a wee visit to that next-door park before ordering.

NYT despite its 127 Pulitzer prizes, seem to have mashed this piece together from web-trolling.
So did the teenagers explain that ^^^ theory in their cell phone videos?

But what if the public appeal from the family was something these guys were hoping for? Some sort of satisfaction or reassurance that the families are suffering or coming together to demonstrate a meaningful plea. Absolutely not blaming the families for not doing a public conference but I am curious how deciding this is determined to be beneficial or not in these types of situations.
Great post. And I’d be interested in that information as well.

Maybe the no cell service on the stretch of highway concern will be considered as part of an inquiry.

“All three victims were found in areas where cellphone service is virtually non-existent, with travellers unable to call for help if they encounter trouble.”

“At least two couples reported stopping to offer help to Fowler and Deese, who were sitting outside their broken-down van just hours before police say they were found dead.

Both couples noted the lack of cell service in that area as a reason for stopping.

Now, some members of the RCMP have been telling people to maybe think twice about that, despite all reports suggesting Schmegelsky and McLeod have long since left the province.”

“Asked whether more cell service is needed in the region, Phillips was clear: “We’ve been asking [the province] for years.””

Manseau said police in the region have become accustomed to doing their jobs with the technology at their disposal, including police radios and satellite phones for communication.

At the same time, he admitted better cell coverage would help both investigators and the public at large.

“Would more technology be better? Absolutely,” he said. “It would be better for the travelling public, and better for police. But we have to work with what we have, and officers up there have done a good job with that so far.”

Manseau wouldn’t speculate on whether more cell service may have prevented the murders of Fowler, Deese and Dyck, citing the ongoing investigation.

In wake of northern B.C. murders, residents say cell service needed along highways
They were seen just hours before they were found dead? I thought it was reported that they were believed to have been dead for several days when they discovered the bodies?

My guess is because his lawyer who is based in Vancouver was to be present it was more cost effective to have AS travel then for her. It is unfortunate that people with limited means would be required to endure extra costs of travel, loss of work etc for something such as this. He may have been able to view closer to home... assuming all the family members were extended a courtesy of a closer to home arrangement.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/schmegelsky-mcleod-murders-video-1.5272080
Clip from the piece to clear this up:
Leamon said they met police at a neutral location where Al Schmegelsky was given time to watch his son's last words.

Or, maybe not. Different quotes from different folks. We're in Trumpworld where "What you’re seeing and what you’re reading is not what’s happening.”

It's quite interesting to me that AS's lawyer expects a public inquiry.

"She said she expects that a public inquiry into the case will occur in the future and that her client would participate. " (source)

It sounds to me like AS has convinced her that there is, in fact, a broken system that failed himself and/or his son. What else could she be referring to?

In fact, I have to wonder whether or not they will be suing some public entity. It very much sounds to me, from the things AS is saying, that he tried to get his son help and nobody would listen.

We shall see.

It's quite interesting to me that AS's lawyer expects a public inquiry.

"She said she expects that a public inquiry into the case will occur in the future and that her client would participate. " (source)

It sounds to me like AS has convinced her that there is, in fact, a broken system that failed himself and/or his son. What else could she be referring to?

In fact, I have to wonder whether or not they will be suing some public entity. It very much sounds to me, from the things AS is saying, that he tried to get his son help and nobody would listen.

We shall see.

Isn't a public inquiry not related to any lawsuits though? Isn't it more of a "Seconds From Disaster" thing where it outlines what happened, why, and recommendations to prevent it from happening again?

But I could see a scenario where he knew Bryer had serious issues, wanted to get him help, nobody would listen, he didn't have the resources to do it himself, and because of the family court judgments, couldn't tell anyone else to do it either. In fact I've kind of suspected it the whole time.

They were seen just hours before they were found dead? I thought it was reported that they were believed to have been dead for several days when they discovered the bodies?

The young couple were seen the night before they were discovered.

It has been suggested the suspects were dead for several days before being found. An exact day has not been released.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/schmegelsky-mcleod-murders-video-1.5272080
Clip from the piece to clear this up:
Leamon said they met police at a neutral location where Al Schmegelsky was given time to watch his son's last words.

Or, maybe not. Different quotes from different folks. We're in Trumpworld where "What you’re seeing and what you’re reading is not what’s happening.”

I read elsewhere it was at the Surrey detachment. Still a longer journey for AS if he is still in Victoria.

The young couple were seen the night before they were discovered.

It has been suggested the suspects were dead for several days before being found. An exact day has not been released.
Oh, ok, thank you.
I understand now.

But I could see a scenario where he knew Bryer had serious issues, wanted to get him help, nobody would listen, he didn't have the resources to do it himself, and because of the family court judgments, couldn't tell anyone else to do it either. In fact I've kind of suspected it the whole time.

So he goes out and buys his child, whom he believes has serious mental health issues, a realistic looking airsoft gun so he can mimic war/violence/shooting people? Brilliant.

That's a heck of a huge call , to claim this could have been prevented.. That Kam and Bry were somehow merely misunderstood, and a preventative tool is actually out there, one only has to tap into it....

One is tempted to ask just exactly how.

I think it's entirely possible they filmed themselves, either during, or just before, or just after they murdered all three of their unwary victims. It's not a new thing. Brian Draper and Torey Adamcik did, young men, only a few months younger than Bryer….. Their mothers and fathers were entranced by their sons, and probably still are.

Maybe Kam was as cool with himself, as enchanted with himself as Christopher Gribble... ditto Bryer . They may have seen themselves as righteous avengers and all that stuff..

Nothing seemed to faze Gribble, and it's a fair call to say that Kam and Bryer were pretty much unfazed by the time they intercepted Prof. Dyck.

What does make Kam and Bryer somewhat unusual, not a lot, but a bit unusual, is they had no distinction , re gender, of their victims. And, as far as is known, no indication of any stimulant, alcohol, crystal meth, crocodil, rohypnol, nothing chemical , prescription or illegal, has been mentioned. This is unusual, and there is significance in that they could actually do this, together, stone cold sober.

Generally, young men will murder young women. . Older men do to, at an even higher rate, but it is worth a raised eyebrow that Kam and Bryer murdered both a woman and two men.

Lucas Fowler was a physically fit young man, a surfer, a skier, a trekker, ( he had done the Milford Sound track a few times ) , a young man used to working long hours in challenging environments, and not because he had to for fiscal reasons, but because he enjoyed it, combined with his love of travel to exotic places ( yes, Canada is exotic to Australians ) .. He had just concluded a 5 month placement on a cattle ranch, not a job for the physically frail or the faint hearted.

He would have been an imposing adversary, under the circumstances, and obviously, he must have been disabled immediately, by Kam and/or Bryer, so that the female target could be dealt with, and if psychiatric terms could be used here, that must have been a moment of tremendous triumph for them both. Possibly, they filmed this. It would have been the equivalent of ascending Katchenjunga. Something historic and to be savoured and re-lived, in down times, of which many were on the horizon.

The digital world had meaning to them, and I am convinced they would have made sure that in their jaunt off into the blue north, they had secured some way to remain connected to the internet and to their digital world of validation. . I just don't see them going cold turkey on this. It would have been like an amputation.

So he goes out and buys his child, whom he believes has serious mental health issues, an airsoft gun so he can mimic war/violence/shooting people? Brilliant.

Wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member