GUILTY IN - Skylea Carmack, 10, Gas City, Grant County, 31 Aug 2019 *stepmom arrested* *appeal filed 2022*

Bringing forward the latest msm for anyone catching up:

Prosecutors to seek life in prison for stepmom accused of killing 10-year-old Gas City girl
SEP 6TH, 2019

“GAS CITY, Ind. (WTHR) — Eyewitness News has learned the Grant County Prosecutor's Office intends to seek life without parole for a stepmother accused of killing a 10-year-old girl.

Amanda Carmack has been formally charged for the murder of her 10-year-old stepdaughter, Skylea.

Carmack, 34, is facing felony charges for murder, neglect of a dependent, domestic battery to a person under 14 and strangulation.”

Snip

“Police said Kevin was cooperative in the interview and shared as many details as possible. He didn't show any signs of deception, unlike Amanda.”

—-

Court docs: Stepmom killed Gas City girl over charm bracelet. Abuse, confinement marked her last hours.
SEP 6TH, 2019

—-

Gas City neighbor remorseful after court docs reveal abuse before 10-year-old’s murder
SEPTEMBER 6, 2019

““She literally hugged me and cried and was sobbing on my shoulder, I cried right along with her,” said Lopez.

Lopez said at first, Amanda seemed like she was worried about her missing step-daughter and then over the next few days, things changed.

“And we noticed she was getting more and more secluded,” said Lopez. “We noticed something was up.””

Last edited:
I have to admit, I was suspicious of Stepmom, but I didn't think this poor child was stuffed in a garbage bag out in the shed. :(

I thought maybe Stepmom was emotionally abusive and neglectful, and Sky ran away and stepmom didn't bother to report it for hours.

But I was surprised, not shocked, when we learned the brutal facts. RIP young Skylea, fly free sweet girl. upload_2019-9-7_23-24-9.jpeg

This witch pulled Skylea's pants off and strangled her with them? This goes deeper than just an anger problem imo. I feel so heartbroken for her father.
I don't think so. I believe she reached for a pair of pants laying around. Reports state that Skylea was wearing the clothes and shoes it was described in the Silver Alert.

I don't think so. I believe she reached for a pair of pants laying around. Reports state that Skylea was wearing the clothes and shoes it was described in the Silver Alert.
This witch pulled Skylea's pants off and strangled her with them? This goes deeper than just an anger problem imo. I feel so heartbroken for her father.
Prosecutor to seek life sentence without parole for stepmom accused of killing 10-year-old girl
Snipped and BBM - this article says pants tied around her neck

Police searched the shed around 3 a.m., and that’s when they found her body hidden inside a trash bag.

A pair of what appeared to be multi-colored pants was tied in a knot very tightly around her neck.

I feel like her Facebook friends all fed her ego that she was a great caregiver despite all these horrible ungrateful children.
I see this occasionally, and have noticed that it’s a bit of a circle...people who aren’t good parents praising others who aren’t good parents for doing things that are second nature or just basic minimums of caregiving that actual good parents don’t have to brag about on FB.

FOX59 News on Twitter

Police say they previously searched the home, but they were looking for a little girl. They had no reason to believe at that time that her body was hidden.

FOX59 News on Twitter
Of course they had reason to believe that! It’s a little 10 year old in questionable living circumstances being reported “missing” by a stepmother. Every single one of us at Websleuths would have immediately known they needed to be looking at *every* possibility, yet LE “had no reason to believe” her body was hidden. Pardon the pun but that’s a cop-out.

Thanks for this, @unicorns&rainbows

Looking at the first charge... starvation might have been a factor. "neglect resulting in..."

The last, blurry photos of Skylea look like she's thinner.
And the third charge sounds like she may have been beaten as well as strangled.

I feel for the jury who will have to view the horrifying photos ; the handiwork of this monster.
They will probably seek the death penalty to entice her to take a plea deal to get a life sentence instead...hopefully a jury will never have to be convened.

I still cry about Adrian Jones and Lucas Fernandez.

Sometimes it seems like the penalties for women are lesser than they should be.
AC needs the DP , but life without parole would be acceptable.
She needs to leave prison in a pine box.

What slammed Adrian's case into my mind was the photos and videos.
I'm starting to think the public needs to be shown what these children look like after their murderers are done with them.
Because too often we're shown a smiling face of a relatively healthy child.
With Lucas and Adrian we saw horrible photos.
The public isn't outraged enough to change laws.
Might not be a bad idea if the CPS workers who deem these homes safe for the children have to see those photos.

As someone who works in public service in a nearby county, I absolutely concur. I am a bit surprised by the comments I've read in this thread in that I think a lot of people just have no concept of how families living in poverty and/or with addiction issues actually live. There is a large segment of our society for whom involvement with DCS, having relatives in prison, having parents addicted to drugs (so epidemic that in some communities children are taught how to administer Narcan in the event a parent overdoses), etc is actual real life. They know no different, and it is generational (like poverty). For those who find this unacceptable, I beg you to get involved at a grass roots level to both gain understanding and to help find solutions. This work is soul crushing.
This is one of the best posts ever made in Websleuths. Maybe even the whole internet.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Postalgirl74
Back