Australia Australia - William Tyrrell, 3, Kendall, Nsw, 12 Sept 2014 - #46

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talking about the car Mr Chapman saw.

In the video linked by SA, he says it was an Old Box Type Landcruiser beige in colour - at about 1 min in.

Missing toddler inquest adjourned until 2020

IMO it would be an old FJ40 series Landcruiser, they don't have back doors but they have side seats. A child could kneel on the side seats with his hands against the window, it just makes more sense to me.

fj40 landcruiser - Google Search

image_5babdf5331640_The-FJ-Company-1983-FJ40-Land-Cruiser---Beige-361577---Studio_002.jpg

1969_toyota_fj40-pic-2151859926441218476-640x480.jpeg

This makes a lot of sense. And if sitting on a back seat, even if restrained in a seatbelt, a small child could wiggle themselves around to a kneeling position.

Last edited:
SIX Maps

I think this is roughly PS's walk ( the red dotted line I have made ) earlier that morning where he stopped to talk to Lyn the caravan lady for approx 30mins. ( he apparently spoke to this women on his walks regularily?)

From memory I think the caravan was located in the bottom rt hand corner ( you can actually see a white something in the bushes??)........see second pic

I am hopeless with maps ..........sorry

I've had to resize the pics to up load here :(

Thanks, drsleuth! That's great. Not the direction I was thinking of at all. Probably no-one would have seen him on that walk, except Lyn.
I think Mr Savage also participated in a line walk behind his house in the arvo, behind all the houses on his side of the road.

The caravan is very concealed in the forest. It is also about where FM drove to, when she tried to see if William had wandered that way that morning. IIRC

zx9.JPG
Google Maps

SIX Maps

I think this is roughly PS's walk ( the red dotted line I have made ) earlier that morning where he stopped to talk to Lyn the caravan lady for approx 30mins. ( he apparently spoke to this women on his walks regularily?)

From memory I think the caravan was located in the bottom rt hand corner ( you can actually see a white something in the bushes??)........see second pic

You're amazing. doc. Thank you so much. I had envisioned him walking completely the other way. Didn't even think about this way. And amazing job to spot what probably is the caravan.

I would love to know if Lyn gave evidence at the inquest. I'd love to know who she is and how she fits into the picture.

You're amazing. doc. Thank you so much. I had envisioned him walking completely the other way. Didn't even think about this way. And amazing job to spot what probably is the caravan.

I would love to know if Lyn gave evidence at the inquest. I'd love to know who she is and how she fits into the picture.
Thanks P & G . I think this is his walk from the brief look we got in court on the screens ( which are hard to read in the court room ) Lyn was only mentioned very briefly & didn't raise any alarms with me. Seemed to me it was someone he spoke to sometimes on his walks......

I have yet to see anywhere where Mr Chapman said he heard postie's car. Just that he thought he heard the click of the letterbox.

Mr Chapman told Det Sgt Beacroft during an interview that he had heard a noise he thought would have been the postie.
Inquest hears of child seen in car wearing Spiderman suit

The click of the letter box at 10:45am. Wonder if he did have mail? So the postie would have had to get out of the car and walk over the little bridge to put the mail in the letter box. Was mail delivered by car or bike in Laurel Street?

Just looked at my notes.

Mr Chapman initially said the colour of the " boxed 4WD " was fawn , he than went on to say it was more a beige colour as fawn was to dark.
I was confused about that; to me, it was saying the opposite in 'the australian', but perhaps I am reading it wrong, or the author wrote it wrong? I was reading it as: 'it was fawn colour, as beige is a bit light to describe it', meaning to him, the colour fawn is darker than beige and more fitting as the colour description... hard to tell sometimes when people speak in incomplete sentences.

“It was an old box-type 4WD. I couldn’t tell you what the make was. Fawn colour. Beige is a bit light. (The driver) was a woman in her late 20s to late 30s, blonde hair, very fair complexion, she wore a white, short-sleeved blouse.”

NoCookies | The Australian

To me, beige and fawn are pretty much the same. If you google both, you get various shades in each. I think it's all in the eye of the beholder.

beige - Google Search

colour fawn - Google Search
Yes for sure.. would've been more helpful to have shown him a color chart or something. Could've been anywhere from light brown to a medium brownish to perhaps a reddy-brown. (with white spots perhaps?). To me, it is likely that this older gentleman is describing the item he felt most closely resembled the colour he saw, ie a 'fawn', as opposed to an actual colour. But the range in colour would still be quite variable. imo.

fawn.jpg
5 Common Myths About Whitetail Fawns | QDMA

SIX Maps

No way is that a 2-hour walk. I make it less than 2km.

To me, beige and fawn are pretty much the same. If you google both, you get various shades in each. I think it's all in the eye of the beholder.

beige - Google Search

colour fawn - Google Search

I think fawn colour is a generational thing. My mum used to say things like "please go and get my fawn cardigan". Looked very beige to me, though I knew what she was speaking of.
I never hear anyone these days call fawn a colour. Mr Chapman has been the first in a long time.

I was confused about that; to me, it was saying the opposite in 'the australian', but perhaps I am reading it wrong, or the author wrote it wrong? I was reading it as: 'it was fawn colour, as beige is a bit light to describe it', meaning to him, the colour fawn is darker than beige and more fitting as the colour description... hard to tell sometimes when people speak in incomplete sentences.

“It was an old box-type 4WD. I couldn’t tell you what the make was. Fawn colour. Beige is a bit light. (The driver) was a woman in her late 20s to late 30s, blonde hair, very fair complexion, she wore a white, short-sleeved blouse.”

NoCookies | The Australian
Hi deugirtni. Didn't Chapman say something about dreaming all this? I thought i read that somewhere? LOL Maybe these witnesses are all in the Twilight zone there or something?
So many discrepancies in some of these stories IMO. Hard to sort fact from fiction.

Mr Chapman told Det Sgt Beacroft during an interview that he had heard a noise he thought would have been the postie.
Inquest hears of child seen in car wearing Spiderman suit

The click of the letter box at 10:45am. Wonder if he did have mail? So the postie would have had to get out of the car and walk over the little bridge to put the mail in the letter box. Was mail delivered by car or bike in Laurel Street?

Doc Sleuth
Did you notice in court if Mr Chapman said he had received his mail - his plant cuttings ..,at the time he saw the cars speeding around the corner at 10.45 am ???
Or did the mail arrive later in the day?? Was there any thing said in the court notes that alludes to the answer of this question???
Many thanks Doc Sleuth for any insight you might have on this....
Thanks Again and Kind Regards...

No way is that a 2-hour walk. I make it less than 2km.

Should have been about a 25-30 min walk.

Someone I know did a 4km country walk today - he is 5 years younger than Mr Savage would have been at the time, and he has a bad back - and he did it in 41 mins at a steady but not fast pace.

SIX Maps

Thank you so much Dr Slueth :):).

Doc Sleuth
Did you notice in court if Mr Chapman said he had received his mail - his plant cuttings ..,at the time he saw the cars speeding around the corner at 10.45 am ???
Or did the mail arrive later in the day?? Was there any thing said in the court notes that alludes to the answer of this question???
Many thanks Doc Sleuth for any insight you might have on this....
Thanks Again and Kind Regards...

Oh dear silly me.:) Thinking that a card would be put in his letter box to let RC know his plants were at the post office waiting to be collected.
That how it happens where I live.

It was a tid bit before the cars came sceaming around the bend that he heard what sounded like the clicking of the letterbox. He had time to get up look at he clock and make his way to the steps.
:eek: If that clicking sound was the letter box. The postie may have seen the 2 cars travelling at speed. Because he or she would have still been in the street.
imo

Last edited:
SIX Maps

From Memory, Mrs Savage usually accompanied him on his walk but didn't complete the full walk with him, and he also returned via Bennaroon Dr.

Do you know at which point she left him and continued her own walk? I imagine it wasn't in the middle of the bush.

So, if the vehicle that 'sounded like postie' did a u-turn before it 'took off'.
How fast did it 'take off'? Does a vehicle take off slowly, or does it drive away at normal speed?

And where would this u-turn have happened? In front of Savage's house where the road is wide enough to u-turn in one move without doing a 3-point turn? At the corner of Ellendale and Benaroon Drive, another wider part of the road? Is Benaroon Drive wide enough to u-turn in a straight part of the road if the vehicle is a larger vehicle or a clunkier one?

I wonder what that particular MS run is / goes to & from (other than the post office collection point )
Would the postie regularly do a U-Turn at end lint of where there are no further driverless iykwim ?
Maybe even hearing the u-turn wasn't a totally rare event ..

Well thought out and explained, South Aussie

In the police walkthrough with Mr Chapman, I noticed that the direction that the speeding 4WD was coming from and the curve that it had just sped around would have meant that the standing child would have been pressed up against the window with the inertia of the turn. Probably why the child had his hands up against the window .. to brace himself, not to peer out.

It also means that the child would have been in the passenger side back seat area, for Mr Chapman to see his face.

(If the child fell down, it would have been after the speeding 4WD had completed its turn and straightened out, and the inertia had stopped. Mr Chapman was watching the 2nd car by then and the 1st vehicle was behind him.)

The more comprehensive walkthrough that BigT linked earlier is in this link ... about ½ way down the page.
Missing toddler inquest adjourned until 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member