GUILTY UK - Alesha MacPhail, 6, raped & murdered, Ardbeg, Isle of Bute, Scotland, 2 Jul 2018 -*arrest* #8

If they ever, ever let him out, he will take another child's life. He cannot be rehabilitated. imo

Shame on them--he is not even worth the consideration.

I wish they would put him in the general population of an adult prison--see how he enjoys getting a taste of what he gave.

While I'm not happy about the reduction as I think the minimum sentence is well-deserved, I am relieved that it is only a recommendation for minimum.

Also this quote doesn't make it sound like he's ever likely to be approved for release.

[...]psychologist Dr Gary Macpherson concluded: ""I am of the view that the capacity for change may be limited due to the nature of Aaron Campbell's personality structure and his complex risk factors.

"I apologise to the court for appearing pessimistic however I am not confident that Aaron Campbell has the capacity or desire to change his behaviour in any meaningful way and as such the risks will remain for the foreseeable future."
Alesha MacPhail killer has sentence cut

His release will depend on how clever he is about faking 'fixed' in the latter years of his sentence and how vigilant the decision-makers of the future are about accounting for his psychopathic traits.

Perhaps 'prison justice' will take effect before any of that.

I find it sickening that a proven paedophile, necrophiliac, sexual sadist etc. is even considered for release at any point. What is wrong with our justice system seriously?? He's clearly a psychopath and so of course he will try and play the system so I question what gives any authority the right to roll the dice with another child's life by releasing this sub human? How did we end up with a society where victims are forgotten and criminals get so much support and opportunity for change...it is not in the interest of the general population so there should be a hard and fast rule that if you commit crimes of this nature then you're put away for life without parole... America has it so right with these things.

That's absolutely awful. I'll never forget this case. I still can't and probably never will understand the ' normal functioning schoolboy' and what happened that night. There must have been some worrying signs about him that maybe were kept hidden.

I'm sure I'll get shot down for this but it's really not a surprise his sentence was reduced and legally it was the correct decision. His original sentence was higher than other comparable cases. Sentencing has to be fair and across the board. Just because it was a particularly abhorrent crime doesn't mean the guidelines can be ignored.

It's the guidelines that are the issue here rather than the judges decision today.

or this...

" Dr Macpherson noted the appellant’s “capacity to mimic or articulate change when no such change has taken place”, vouched by an earlier incident of “treatment shamming” when the appellant had been on the Time to Grow programme in 2016/2017 following an incident of fire-raising. .....

I'm sure I'll get shot down for this but it's really not a surprise his sentence was reduced and legally it was the correct decision. His original sentence was higher than other comparable cases. Sentencing has to be fair and across the board. Just because it was a particularly abhorrent crime doesn't mean the guidelines can be ignored.

It's the guidelines that are the issue here rather than the judges decision today.
I agree with you. This is an exercise in carrying out the guidelines. Who knows what's ahead for him however that's quite a detailed report ( in my legal uneducated opinion) and seems to take in what he may likely do re his case in years to come. Sadly, it also answers some questions that we've had about his personality traits.

Yeah, I know what you mean. The case does evoke a lot of emotions - understandably - because of how cruel it was and because of the age of the victim and the perpetrator (as well as many other factors) but it does need to be balanced across the board like you said, even if it's a difficult decision. He still might never get out though.

I agree @Ardoch, I'm curious about all of those things too.

Or has there been signs? I haven't read the report in full but what does this mean?

"....prior adult sanctions for exhibiting sexually inappropriate behaviours..."
in Dr MacPherson's statement.

I wonder about that too. I can’t believe this boy went all through school and nobody picked up on personality disorder or behaviour or thinking that was unusual. My sibling has a personality disorder and all through school teachers would express concerns about their actions and motives long before being diagnosed and that was a long time ago. Teachers these days are more interactive with pupils and alert to potential problems. He must truly be a psychopath who we will never be able to trust. I can’t believe I actually thought he was innocent at the start of the trial.

I wonder about that too. I can’t believe this boy went all through school and nobody picked up on personality disorder or behaviour or thinking that was unusual. My sibling has a personality disorder and all through school teachers would express concerns about their actions and motives long before being diagnosed and that was a long time ago. Teachers these days are more interactive with pupils and alert to potential problems. He must truly be a psychopath who we will never be able to trust. I can’t believe I actually thought he was innocent at the start of the trial.
so did i!! i started to doubt the crowns version at one point. i think it was just too hard to accept :(

I think there were a few folk who thought he may be innocent at the start of the trial. I did at the very beginning but purely on the belief that a child could not do something so awful. Then I thought not proven then concluded he was guilty, especially after he took the stand.

or this...

" Dr Macpherson noted the appellant’s “capacity to mimic or articulate change when no such change has taken place”, vouched by an earlier incident of “treatment shamming” when the appellant had been on the Time to Grow programme in 2016/2017 following an incident of fire-raising. .....
I’m totally uneducated in this but to me it says he has been able to make out his behaviour changed when in reality it hadn’t and this was clear when he had been on a programme for his behaviour. A case of saying and doing what they ask you to just to get through it. The fact he was setting fire to things at 14/15 is alarming in itself.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back