GUILTY UK - Alesha MacPhail, 6, raped & murdered, Ardbeg, Isle of Bute, Scotland, 2 Jul 2018 -*arrest* #8

Did anyone else get the impression that there was a conflict of sorts, in the opinions of the two doctors involved in his assessment? IMO

There was, Dr Johnstone specifically requested to assess him for his appeal because she didn't think Dr Macpherson had taken everything into consideration and that it was too pessimistic. She wasn't actually assigned to do it by the courts. I think they clearly agreed on quite a few things but differed on others.

Did anyone else get the impression that there was a conflict of sorts, in the opinions of the two doctors involved in his assessment? IMO
probably professional sparring. I think Dr Johnstone was a little upset by the lack of experience (in dealing with adolescents) of the author of the original report, together with the limited amount of time spent with AC to create that report (I'm not being detrimental to either Dr). I suppose in truth, it will take many years to get the measure of AC with any accuracy and even then, its a guess. Lets hope that in the intervening time (24 years less time served already) a reliable and accurate method is created to measure such behaviours.

From the report and herein lies the problem for society as a whole:
"In the appellant’s case it seems there was a dysfunctional home background, with lack of attachment, absence of boundaries and parenting problems, including a degree of physical and emotional abuse. These are all factors which may have adversely impacted on the development of the appellant’s character to date, but which may not entirely dictate development of his character in the future.

Nature vs Nurture (or lack thereof).

and now I cannot see AC ever receiving LOVE after what he has done. is there a human willing to do this? the circumstances - prison - he now finds himself, how is this possible?

so how can he change? Is he damaged beyond repair? early development being crucial to defining who we humans become as adults.

yes, he has to take accountability for his actions to start on a path of change, but without love i cannot see how he can ever be 'normal'. normal to live in society without being violent.
by 'love' I mean everything it entails that a decent parent gives - guidance, security, discipline, tenderness, kindness, encouragement, acceptance etc etc etc
IMO

Last edited:
wasn't Dr Johnstone called upon by the Defendants represent to give a 'better'/more of a view of AC?
IMO
The report states "A report had been obtained from a forensic psychologist Dr Lorraine Johnstone, who had contacted the agents after sentencing,...." I do not know what it means by agents - but it could mean the agencies that are responsible for his care. The report goes on to state "However, senior counsel did not place any reliance on this report." and I takes it that this means AC's counsel.

It won't let me copy and paste from the report but section 14 states that Johnstone contacted them after sentencing, basically unhappy with the level of experience the other expert has with adolescents, but that counsel didn't use her report

ETA oops posted at same time as Nikynoo, sorry

and now I cannot see AC ever receiving LOVE after what he has done. is there a human willing to do this? the circumstances - prison - he now finds himself, how is this possible?

so how can he change? Is he damaged beyond repair? early development being crucial to defining who we humans become as adults.

yes, he has to take accountability for his actions to start on a path of change, but without love i cannot see how he can ever be 'normal'. normal to live in society without being violent.
by 'love' I mean everything it entails that a parent gives - guidance, security, discipline, tenderness, kindness, encouragement, acceptance etc etc etc
IMO

I know exactly what you mean. But there will still be someone out there who would marry him. No doubt lol.
That's obviously different from the type of love and support you mentioned though, like parental guidance and acceptance, helping him, being there for him etc. It's difficult. Don't know where he would get that.

by 'love' I mean everything it entails that a decent parent gives - guidance, security, discipline, tenderness, kindness, encouragement, acceptance etc etc etc
IMO
to some extent, I agree, and that is what the professionals stated in the report, they simply do not know with any certainty.

There is an argument, that perhaps AC would have been bad regardless of the parenting he received, but I also understand that attachment disorders are very difficult to overcome. So it would seem, that the outlook is indeed pessimistic. I am forever hopeful (regardless of the situation), but realistic to outcomes.

I feel very sad, that the findings in relation to ACs home environment has had such devastating effect.

I know exactly what you mean. But there will still be someone out there who would marry him. No doubt lol.
That's obviously different from the type of love and support you mentioned though, like parental guidance and acceptance, helping him, being there for him etc. It's difficult. Don't know where he would get that.
Sadly, it would appear from the report that this has been lacking for a while. I wonder how much evidence supported the finding about his home environment and how much input his parent had?

IMO

Yes that's a very good point about love. I do think he won't receive much love whilst he's incarcerated, however like Taylor said he may well receive love romantically from others when he is on the outside again and under a false name/new identity. Whilst he's inside though I think the psychologist and other professionals (counselers etc) who are working with him on his rehabilitation at polmont are paid to act in an emotionally supportive, kind and understanding way towards him (even if they may feel differently on the inside) whilst they talk to him about his progress and his thoughts and issues, because they are aware that this kindness or loving energy is part of the rehabilitation process. I really, truly hope he can change.

Sadly, it would appear from the report that this has been lacking for a while. I wonder how much evidence supported the finding about his home environment and how much input his parent had?

True. His mum spoke to Dr Johnstone but I'm not sure how much weight that had in the overall assessment?

Yeah, at the hearing itself. They didn't go into detail though, just said that his mum spoke to Dr Johnstone. We won't see the full psychological report because it's confidential.
OK, thanks. Was his mum or his dad there?

OK, thanks. Was his mum or his dad there?

No bother! No, none of his family or friends were. His mum has obviously been spoken about in the news a bit but his dad is apparently an illusionist who has done a disappearing act (and also gets younger with each article he is mentioned in but has never had a photo posted of himself and was only mentioned a couple of times back in spring).

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mintexas
Back