Found Deceased TX - Thomas Brown, 18, Hemphill County, 23 Nov 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had forgotten his friends said he was fine (although suicidal people often do seem fine or even happier than usual before the act). So that rules out them contacting the ex. Since all contact with the ex was after Tom and friends had separated for the night, I guess we could say that we don't even actually know if it was Tom speaking with the ex. If she was asking if he was okay, maybe something was said that didn't sound like normal Tom. Or maybe it was Tom but something was already wrong and he knew it. Asking if he was okay without any other context just doesn't prove or disprove anything.But at the same time, in the very beginning, there was mention of an concerning Instagram post. I just don't know.

We know he quit answering his phone by 12:03 and all was dark until there was a call made on his phone at 12:20 ish. Does that coincide with the search for the suicide hotline? Surely his phone company would have record of how long that call was or if the number was dialed and immediately hung up. If he was on the phone for hours while driving around, I say suicide. If not, then I certainly have a lot more questions.

Here's my big problem with everything that's been released about Tom being suicidal. EVERY SINGLE INSTANCE that would show that Tom was/could have been suicidal cannot be proven that it was, in fact, Tom, saying and doing the things. NO ONE has come forward and said, yes, Tom said XYZ to me, in person or by his voice. All the 'evidence' comes from things that could have been someone impersonating him (by text) or searches done my someone else who needed to cover their tracks. ANYONE could have placed a call to the suicide hotline after Tom was already dead. Sure, his instagram may have had something suicidal on it. But it doesn't mean Tom posted it. Passwords are saved (and others know them). LE can use dead people's fingerprints to open Iphones. Someone using Tom's fingerprints to open his phone would explain why the phone had been wiped clean (just in case someone besides Tom's fingerprints were transferred in the process of using Tom's to open the phone up).

Yes, Cops Are Now Opening iPhones With Dead People's Fingerprints

Maybe I am just jaded about the local LE - but they were saying suicide (within, what? 12 hours of him being missing? ) way too early. They hadn't found a body, a phone or anything.

Last edited:
Moms4Tom

New statement.

Got to be honest. The *advertiser censored*-show that is Hemphill Co is wearing me out. I literally get a headache trying to sort through all these media releases/newspaper articles and listening to the local radio about it.

The bickering needs to stop.

That said, I am very interested in this statement by Klein (from the above link):

I will confirm to everyone today that I was asked by the OAG to take a polygraph test regarding this accusation. I passed my polygraph test on all levels. As well, when the evidence came back from the FBI on the phone, it as well proved I was truthful.

Last edited:
Moms4Tom

New statement.

Got to be honest. The ****-show that is Hemphill Co is wearing me out. I literally get a headache trying to sort through all these media releases/newspaper articles and listening to the local radio about it.

The bickering needs to stop.

That said, I am very interested in this statement by Klein (from the above link):

I will confirm to everyone today that I was asked by the OAG to take a polygraph test regarding this accusation. I passed my polygraph test on all levels. As well, when the evidence came back from the FBI on the phone, it as well proved I was truthful.
Thanks for posting this jellybean. When the AG suspended the investigation and Klein said he will continue investigating, my first thought was Klein will either be a HERO or a ZERO. Time will tell. I find the ruffled feathers back and forth enlightening. I have learned more details about this case since it was suspended. Better than silence. There are more questions we need answers to.

Thanks to all of you for the information and keeping Tom’s thread going. I have followed this from the beginning but rarely post. I’m having a really hard time buying the suicide theory. Way too many inconsistencies for my liking coming from the LE. I pray Tom’s family finds justice for him somehow especially with odds stacked against them. God bless them and you all who have been diligently pursuing this! MOO

I had forgotten his friends said he was fine (although suicidal people often do seem fine or even happier than usual before the act). So that rules out them contacting the ex. Since all contact with the ex was after Tom and friends had separated for the night, I guess we could say that we don't even actually know if it was Tom speaking with the ex. If she was asking if he was okay, maybe something was said that didn't sound like normal Tom. Or maybe it was Tom but something was already wrong and he knew it. Asking if he was okay without any other context just doesn't prove or disprove anything.But at the same time, in the very beginning, there was mention of an concerning Instagram post. I just don't know.

We know he quit answering his phone by 12:03 and all was dark until there was a call made on his phone at 12:20 ish. Does that coincide with the search for the suicide hotline? Surely his phone company would have record of how long that call was or if the number was dialed and immediately hung up. If he was on the phone for hours while driving around, I say suicide. If not, then I certainly have a lot more questions.
I was told there was not actually a phone call to the hotline. The FBI or some tech company found the deleted search for the suicide hotline. They called the hotline and asked for phone records and were told that they do not keep them. I thought maybe they could determine what time the search was made since the article said "earlier that evening". When I look back at my search history on Google, it only lists the day the search was made - not the time.

I was told there was not actually a phone call to the hotline. The FBI or some tech company found the deleted search for the suicide hotline. They called the hotline and asked for phone records and were told that they do not keep them. I thought maybe they could determine what time the search was made since the article said "earlier that evening". When I look back at my search history on Google, it only lists the day the search was made - not the time.

So what was the call at 12:20-ish? I'm positive I read that somewhere earlier in the case.

While I don't necessarily buy the whole suicide thing, I can't rule it out either. There are definitely inconsistencies and a whole lot of questions that no one seems to want to answer. Just like how they are convinced it was suicide when they have no cause of death. The whole .25 shell casing + blood is interesting. I certainly wouldn't choose that caliber for suicide, but I wouldn't choose it for murder either. Could someone who had shot themselves or been shot be able to walk, maybe in an incoherent/confused daze, for that many miles? Do we know if his skull was found? (sorry) I only remember reading that forensic testing was used to ID him, so that sounds to me like maybe DNA rather than dental records. It seems like they normally state when dental records are used.

So what was the call at 12:20-ish? I'm positive I read that somewhere earlier in the case.

While I don't necessarily buy the whole suicide thing, I can't rule it out either. There are definitely inconsistencies and a whole lot of questions that no one seems to want to answer. Just like how they are convinced it was suicide when they have no cause of death. The whole .25 shell casing + blood is interesting. I certainly wouldn't choose that caliber for suicide, but I wouldn't choose it for murder either. Could someone who had shot themselves or been shot be able to walk, maybe in an incoherent/confused daze, for that many miles? Do we know if his skull was found? (sorry) I only remember reading that forensic testing was used to ID him, so that sounds to me like maybe DNA rather than dental records. It seems like they normally state when dental records are used.[/QUOTE
Dent
I didn’t remember anything about a 12:20 call. Are you talking about when his family reached out to his friends or Tom? And several news articles stated he was identified through dental records.

While I don't necessarily buy the whole suicide thing, I can't rule it out either. There are definitely inconsistencies and a whole lot of questions that no one seems to want to answer. Just like how they are convinced it was suicide when they have no cause of death. The whole .25 shell casing + blood is interesting. I certainly wouldn't choose that caliber for suicide, but I wouldn't choose it for murder either. Could someone who had shot themselves or been shot be able to walk, maybe in an incoherent/confused daze, for that many miles? Do we know if his skull was found? (sorry) I only remember reading that forensic testing was used to ID him, so that sounds to me like maybe DNA rather than dental records. It seems like they normally state when dental records are used.
I was able to find a couple references to a phone call being made at 12:23 am:
I had completely forgotten, but On November 26, 2016 (3 days after Tom’s disappearance), I actually posted:
“Well (from 8:50 am / Nov. 26, 2016) ... :(:

"During an 8 am briefing at the Hemphill County Law Enforcement Center, Sheriff Nathan Lewis reported that a fresh team of dogs had been brought in yesterday and immediately picked up Brown’s scent. They tracked it east about 3/4 of a mile before running into water, where the hounds lost the scent and were unable to proceed." (BBM)

<snipped by me>

"Sheriff Lewis noted that Brown has likely been out for two very cold nights without warm clothes and could be in distress."

<snipped by me>

"'We have a missing person,' Sheriff Lewis said. 'He could be suicidal. We have indications from friends and family, and from an Instagram message he posted the day before he went missing.' Lewis said Brown did have a cell phone in his possession, but placed his last call at 12:23 am Thursday morning. The cell phone was then turned off and has not been on since." (BBM)
The Canadian Record

Holidays can be particularly difficult for some people ....” [bolding from the original post]
Found Deceased - TX - Thomas Brown, 18, Hemphill County, 23 Nov 2016

Unfortunately, the link to the Canadian Record no longer works. I’m also reminded that my thought at the time was a suicide.

From the “Missing Person Thomas Brown” website (I believe the page was first set up by Klein):
“[SBM]

Tom's curfew was 12 midnight and at 12:03 p.m. Tom's brother texted him asking where he was as Tom was never late coming home without calling anyone. The message was never read - and at 12:10 a.m. Tom's cell phone sent it's last ‘ping’ out which has been traced to the area on and near the parking lot of the football stadium.

At 12:23 a.m. Tom's mother, who was already worried, sent Tom a text to which investigators have determined was never read. At around 12:29 a.m. Tom's mother started trying to call him to which all calls went to voice mail.

[SBM]” (BBM)
Case History

By the way, has anyone seen the “Instagram message” Lewis talks about? Was it a post or a private message?

I was able to find a couple references to a phone call being made at 12:23 am:
I had completely forgotten, but On November 26, 2016 (3 days after Tom’s disappearance), I actually posted:
“Well (from 8:50 am / Nov. 26, 2016) ... :(:

"During an 8 am briefing at the Hemphill County Law Enforcement Center, Sheriff Nathan Lewis reported that a fresh team of dogs had been brought in yesterday and immediately picked up Brown’s scent. They tracked it east about 3/4 of a mile before running into water, where the hounds lost the scent and were unable to proceed." (BBM)

<snipped by me>

"Sheriff Lewis noted that Brown has likely been out for two very cold nights without warm clothes and could be in distress."

<snipped by me>

"'We have a missing person,' Sheriff Lewis said. 'He could be suicidal. We have indications from friends and family, and from an Instagram message he posted the day before he went missing.' Lewis said Brown did have a cell phone in his possession, but placed his last call at 12:23 am Thursday morning. The cell phone was then turned off and has not been on since." (BBM)
The Canadian Record

Holidays can be particularly difficult for some people ....” [bolding from the original post]
Found Deceased - TX - Thomas Brown, 18, Hemphill County, 23 Nov 2016

Unfortunately, the link to the Canadian Record no longer works. I’m also reminded that my thought at the time was a suicide.

From the “Missing Person Thomas Brown” website (I believe the page was first set up by Klein):
“[SBM]

Tom's curfew was 12 midnight and at 12:03 p.m. Tom's brother texted him asking where he was as Tom was never late coming home without calling anyone. The message was never read - and at 12:10 a.m. Tom's cell phone sent it's last ‘ping’ out which has been traced to the area on and near the parking lot of the football stadium.

At 12:23 a.m. Tom's mother, who was already worried, sent Tom a text to which investigators have determined was never read. At around 12:29 a.m. Tom's mother started trying to call him to which all calls went to voice mail.

[SBM]” (BBM)
Case History

By the way, has anyone seen the “Instagram message” Lewis talks about? Was it a post or a private message?
I wonder who the call was to? I have seen the Instagram post. It wasn’t directly suicidal, but a tad morbid.

This is a mess. So many rumors and so much speculation that its hard to keep things straight....and I've followed this since the beginning.
Still so many unanswered questions.
Was there in fact an outgoing call at 12:23am?
I'm assuming his skull was found if he was identified through dental records. So obviously COD wasn't a gunshot. If it was suicide, how did he do it?
His car was seen driving all over Canadian all night. Was it him driving? How did he end up over 15 miles away?
The phone is an issue all itself. If I remember correctly wasn't a rose gold phone originally found and Lewis said it was Tom's?

Unfound Podcast
Unfound made some good points on the recording of the meeting with the AG.

I think he is 1000% spot on. I've read the Canadian Papers article(s) today. And I stand by what I've always thought - the paper isn't being transparent and is using their paper to further someone else's agenda. They have lost all creditably for me. Sure, there *may* be some truth in what they are reporting, but they are not being responsible.

The Canadian Record

“[SBM]

Snipped- So it sounds like Lewis stated Tom placed an outgoing call at 12:23, but Klein muddies the waters a bit saying it last pinged at 12:10 which contradicts that statement, I think. Don't phones ping when you place calls/send texts? What about when you receive them? Was Lewis confusing mom's last text as activity from Tom or were Klein's statements incorrect?

I'm not a huge fan of Klein, so that may be clouding my opinion here. I feel like Klein has something to prove. He says he just wants to find the truth, no matter what the truth may be, BUT he was hired to basically either prove that LE were inept or they were involved in a cover-up of some sort. So while I'm not saying he was being intentionally dishonest/incorrect, he might have reason to only see what proves his theory.

On the other hand, if LE was involved in Tom's death or at least the subsequent cover-up of his death and Lewis was aware from the first night, they'd have reason to steer the investigation the wrong way from the beginning. Presumably, they'd also only give Klein information that didn't prove any wrongdoings on their part. If they had access to his phone from midnight or so that night, they could pretty much control the narrative in any way they see fit (like searching a suicide hotline, turning off a phone, saying the dogs followed a scent trail that didn't actually exist, moving Tom, his vehicle, his belongings, etc).

I honestly could go either way in this case, but suicide seems to be the easiest conclusion for me to reach. His age, quitting football, possibly some bullying, a recent break-up, even family and friends mentioning suicide being a possibility all seem to point to it. It's a lot harder for me to find a possible reason for LE to be involved. Other than the fact that one particular officer seemed to have some sort of beef with Tom, there's really nothing that gives me reason to believe that in itself could lead to murder. I'd be far more likely to believe another kid was involved and LE was covering for the kid, but that theory seems to have been discounted.

Based on everything I have read so far, I just can't conclude suicide. I think he was killed - why? I do not know but I think LE needs to publish all of the evidence in this case if they aren't going to go forward. Perhaps the family can bring a civil suit to force the issue? I've read about this in other cases. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288