GUILTY GUILTY OF ABUSE OF A CORPSE ONLY OH - Annabelle Richardson, newborn, found in grave 7 May 2017 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
A young Ohio woman who prosecutors said killed and buried her unwanted newborn in her backyard was acquitted by jurors Thursday, CBS Cincinnati affiliate WKRC reports. The Warren County jury deliberated for four hours before acquitting 20-year-old Brooke Skylar Richardson of aggravated murder, involuntary manslaughter and child endangerment charges.

She was found guilty of corpse abuse and is scheduled to be sentenced Friday. Richardson faces up to one year in prison but could get probation since she's a first-time offender.
Woman accused of killing newborn acquitted of aggravated murder and involuntary manslaughter

Prosecutor on live TV won’t post-verdict answer if the grand jury knew that the State’s forensic anthropologist recanted her “bones were burned” opinion. Hmmmm. Very interesting. I bet the grand jury didn’t hear that which is why they sailed right through with 5 counts originally.

This is sort of random, but does anyone know why the prosecution called her Brooke during the trial, when she apparently goes by her middle name, Skylar? Was there some tactical reason for this? It seems odd not to just call her what she is known by, but I'm sure they had their reasons.

Just a guess, but I think the State did so as a way of sending (a not very subtle) message that Skylar literally wasn't who she said she was/claimed to be.

Prosecutor on live TV won’t post-verdict answer if the grand jury knew that the State’s forensic anthropologist recanted her “bones were burned” opinion. Hmmmm. Very interesting. I bet the grand jury didn’t hear that which is why they sailed right through with 5 counts originally.

That IS interesting!

fornshell presser

In my first presser I said we couldn't prove cause of death

understands jury verdict

Hasn't spoken to any jury members but thinks their are members on jury that believe she killed child but prosecutor couldn't prove she did

Reporter is aggressively calling him out

he's giving bogus excuses for taking this to trial without enough evidence

Won't apologize to family

Previously said he had proof to a medical certainty

reporter asked him if he was aware of the "code of ethics"

I hope reporter asking questions lives in his county and can continue to censure him

BSR given a gift by a jury of her peers. I truly hope she now seeks independent living --- especially from the toxic maternal environment.

Given the evidence presented by texts-- egging on the laxatives, unhealthy weight loss (i.e., 30 pound weight loss in less than 30 days), etc., I wouldn't be surprised if same behavior wasn't amped up for the televised trial. Her child appeared emaciated at trial- IMO.

After all, the camera is said to put on 10 pounds ... (sarcasm intended).

Lastly -- re-watching DA's presser of August 7, 2017-- when BSR arraigned, I noted he did in-fact make reference to Safe Haven Law of Ohio.

The law, known as the Safe Haven Law, allows parents to legally abandon a newborn within 72 hours of the child's birth. ... Under Ohio's revised Safe Haven Law, which has been in effect since 24 March 2009, parents now have 30 days after the birth of a child to voluntarily relinquish their children.

http://www.odjfs.state.oh.us/forms/num/JFS08099/pdf/

Prosecutor on press conference just confirmed body remains have not been released and suggested there could be a battle between the two families of who gets the remains now that one has been convicted of a felony with respect to abuse of a corpse.

ETA: I like this DA. I think he comes off as genuine. I think they believed she killed that baby like most of us do and that's why they pursued the case. I don't think this was a malicious prosecution or overzealous by any means.

Last edited:
I think its unrealistic to assume Skyler is going to go off to college now, and have a blast (and so what if she does, let her smile maybe laugh, hell). Shes been made out to be a monster, I think the prosecution tried her in court if public opinion in their press conference by announcing she burned her baby, they never backpedaled or reassessed the situation once they did find out there was NO charred remains and NO proof of excelerant. They steamed straight ahead for her. If she does go to college, she deserves to go to college, it's her right & the best thing she can do for herself. She was found not guilty of murder or harming her baby, not guilty of neglect and the jury added a note stating they dont believe she harmed her baby either and I believe that says alot. (They werent required to add that opinion)
Her peers have spoken she did not murder or neglect Annabel.
I think she's been through enough, I think her family has suffered with her and I hope she remains on house arrest for her safety a bit longer and then probation for a time with court ordered psychiatric care at her expense. I hope she doesnt get a day in jail, hate me if ya like. She should change her name & move away and be the best person she can be moving forward and away from very poor choice and toxic family. But not before requesting her baby's remains be returned so she can bury her in the plot her family has for her.
Edited: "mess" was not a good word choice but neither are many of them in my opinion here, grammatical errors aside it's IMOO

A finding of not guilty is not the same as a finding of innocence. The jury did not find her innocent of murder. It is not a fact that she did not murder her child. It is fact that the jury felt the state failed to satisfy its burden.

This is sort of random, but does anyone know why the prosecution called her Brooke during the trial, when she apparently goes by her middle name, Skylar? Was there some tactical reason for this? It seems odd not to just call her what she is known by, but I'm sure they had their reasons.

Court docs are drafted and filed in her legal name "Brooke Skylar Richardson" - Prosecutor is probably just following protocol of their State office.

I don't believe any ill intent.

Wow I can't believe the deliberations went that fast. This has to be a huge victory for the defense attorneys Rittgers Jr. and Sr. That the jury wanted to include in their verdict that they didn't find that the defendant caused serious physical harm to the child even though that was not a part of the charges. was very interesting and shows how firmly the jury was on the side of the defense case.

The prosecution had so little in the way of physical evidence. I thought the focus in closing today insisting 'the baby was born in her bedroom' vs. bathroom was a little strange. I see where they were coming from- Dr Boyce in her initial police interview told them Skylar said it happened in the bedroom although on the stand Dr Boyce said she could not recall at this point what Skylar said; they were trying to paint Skylar with a liar brush --- with that but talking about a vague torso-like stain ... I just think that whole thing was a reach.

The forensic evidence that is often present in these kind of cases just wasn't there. If there wasn't that second interrogation to seize onto there would have been hardly any case for them to make. Beyond a reasonable doubt is a high hurdle.

I'm satisfied that they brought her to court and charged her even if she got to walk away. She will always have a cloud of suspicion hanging over her head over this and at least half the people who followed this trial think she killed that poor baby. She did not get to hide this baby from the world and from everyone that knew her and go on with her life like nothing happened. There's some justice in that.

fornshell presser

In my first presser I said we couldn't prove cause of death

understands jury verdict

Hasn't spoken to any jury members but thinks their are members on jury that believe she killed child but prosecutor couldn't prove she did

Reporter is aggressively calling him out

he's giving bogus excuses for taking this to trial without enough evidence

Won't apologize to family

Previously said he had proof to a medical certainty

reporter asked him if he was aware of the "code of ethics"

I hope reporter asking questions lives in his county and can continue to censure him

I'm glad the reporters are calling him out. I hope voters do the same!

JMO

BBM. The justice system in Ohio must respect the jury verdict and this Court will do so.

But the law in Ohio is also quite clear that an unmarried father has NO custodial rights until after the child is born and he petitions the court. Has Trey done that? Of course his mother has every right to mourn the loss of her stillborn grandchild but I doubt the court will allow her to make a victim impact statement about a stillborn grandchild.

JMO

Under Ohio law, unmarried mothers automatically have custody of their children. Once paternity is established, unmarried fathers have equal standing to seek custody and parenting time, but they must initiate legal action to secure those rights.

Unmarried Parents & Child Custody | Columbus Ohio Lawyer

It's not custody. He's next of kin. There is no live child to have custody of.

Court docs are drafted and filed in her legal name "Brooke Skylar Richardson" - Prosecutor is probably just following protocol of their State office.

I don't believe any ill intent.

Right, and maybe they felt like "Skylar is what she goes by, but we will call her by her legal name Brooke" to avoid a tone of easygoing familiarity with her. Similar to how they didn't call the baby "Annabelle" because by doing so it would be like the prosecutor endorsing "Yes, she cared enough to name the baby we will call it that". Very deliberate decisions on the prosecution part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member