GUILTY GUILTY OF ABUSE OF A CORPSE ONLY OH - Annabelle Richardson, newborn, found in grave 7 May 2017 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve wondered about the passport to. Might be a stretch but may she was investigated at one point and nothing came of it? Idk could be wrong

Welcome to Websleuths,
tabletalk123 !!

There's no way this judge gives her jail time. She'll get probation and then she'll go on a #poorme tour and cash out. Watch! I expect there will be a TV interview. Maybe even a book. And she'll be preaching about being persecuted by overzealous attorneys yada yada yada. Of course in all of this Kim will be the main victim.

Media will eat it up just like they've been eating up her poor me act throughout this whole trial. Even the way they framed the case "cheerleader baby killer" was gross.
Everybody knows MSM love love criminal cases like this...we're going to hear about her "touching" story for at least 2/3 years...she will be everywhere TV :cool:
I could predict an Hollywood career too o_O
Anyways I could have bet 1,000,000 dollars on her not guilty verdict (on all murder charges)...

The power of the State to destroy the lives of the innocent, even when they are found not guilty at trial, is precisely why the State shouldn't be allowed to abuse it's authority and power, and must be held accountable when it does.
Well said! ITA.
We can definitely agree on that bolded bit. Skyler was lucky in the fact she comes from a family of means and she looks 11 yrs old, she has a fantastic background. What would happen if shes dated a gang member, had photos depicting herself smoking pot or jamming at a club and been from a poor black family living in projects? I dont think that version would end with not guilty. Hope I'm wrong though.
They were not wrong for pursuing charges, I do believe they jumped the gun calling a grand jury, however.

Skyler wasn't lucky she comes from a family of means. Quite the opposite. That "means" provided her with an OB/GYN who violated patient confidentiality by calling police even though she told him the baby was stillborn shortly after she visited their office two months previously. A poor young woman wouldn't have had the "means" to go to a private physician. I'm betting if she went to Planned Parenthood, they would keep everything said as private as the law requires.

I posted this article up thread but it needs to be repeated because the young woman NOT CHARGED was a homeless drug user in Ohio, the same state that charged Skyler. There seems to be a very troubling double standard in play in the State of Ohio.

JMO

Mom is protected primarily because of the constitutional decisions that surround the woman’s control over her own body. We don’t have a choice in that area, and whether we like it or not that doesn’t make a difference.”

ABC 6/FOX 28 is not naming the mother since she has not been charged. The mother said she is homeless and listed her address as the Open Shelter, she has been arrested previously on drug and prostitution charges.

Autopsy finds stillborn baby had drugs in his system, but mother not charged in his death

Possibly, but didn't Dr Brown have adequate time to file an addendum (with revision) to her report? I remember the defense asking her why she did not include the addendum.

Respectfully, that doesn't follow.

The subject here was the grand jury that delivered the indictment to the prosecutor that arrested and delivered charges on August 4, 2017. How could Dr Brown prepare an addendum for the grand jury before August 4, 2017, when the subject of the addendum was not even known?

Yeah I mean even the state agrees with that.

I'm satisfied with how the system worked here. I am convinced she killed her child, intentionally. However, our constitution acts to protect the innocent and afford everyone due process and Skyler got due process.

I don't think the state was wrong for prosecuting her but I don't think the jury was stupid for finding the state couldn't prove it's case.

My big qualm is that I feel more jurors could come to the conclusion that she did kill her child, with the very same set of facts, if the defendant looked different.
I completely agree with your last statement. It's very disappointing to think that physical appearance still has the ability to hamper justice.

IMO the baby was born alive. I've read some people say a baby wouldn't make a gurgling sound. That is exactly what a baby sounds like immediately after coming out before getting the birthing fluids suctioned out of the throat.

I understand this was a hard case, but again I think the baby was alive. And her mother is responsible for her death. There are plenty of cases where a parent neglecting to get their child help when sick or injured results in tragedy and prison for said parent. I'm sad justice wasn't served in this case.

Everybody knows MSM love love criminal cases like this...we're going to hear about her "touching" story for at least 2/3 years...she will be everywhere TV :cool:
I could predict an Hollywood career too o_O
Anyways I could have bet 1,000,000 dollars on her not guilty verdict (on all murder charges)...
I think we'll be hearing about her story because of the Constitutional issues Women Advocacy groups raised in their briefs. I fear that this case is going to dissuade any pregnant teen from seeking prenatal help for their pregnancies because they won't trust their doctors to keep details confidential.

JMO

In their eighteen page brief, they say that firstly the Twelfth District’s decision “to create a new exception to Ohio’s physician-patient privilege creates significant risks to public health.”

Secondly, under the guise of inventing an “exception to state law protecting physician-patient confidentiality for pregnant women …”for the purpose of “detecting crimes in order to protect society,” the Twelfth District Court of Appeals ruling in State of Ohio v. Richardson punishes pregnant women.

And the ruling was also sexist and racist.

National Advocacy groups file friends of the court briefs in support of Brooke Skylar Richardson

Well said! ITA.

Skyler wasn't lucky she comes from a family of means. Quite the opposite. That "means" provided her with an OB/GYN who violated patient confidentiality by calling police even though she told him the baby was stillborn shortly after she visited their office two months previously. A poor young woman wouldn't have had the "means" to go to a private physician. I'm betting if she went to Planned Parenthood, they would keep everything said as private as the law requires.

I posted this article up thread but it needs to be repeated because the young woman NOT CHARGED was a homeless drug user in Ohio, the same state that charged Skyler. There seems to be a very troubling double standard in play in the State of Ohio.

JMO

Mom is protected primarily because of the constitutional decisions that surround the woman’s control over her own body. We don’t have a choice in that area, and whether we like it or not that doesn’t make a difference.”

ABC 6/FOX 28 is not naming the mother since she has not been charged. The mother said she is homeless and listed her address as the Open Shelter, she has been arrested previously on drug and prostitution charges.

Autopsy finds stillborn baby had drugs in his system, but mother not charged in his death

Touche!

Tears stream down the face of baby Annabelle’s paternal grandmother as she grabs a tissue - the State is describing how Skylar likely murdered the baby and then concealed the birth.

Chanley Shá Painter on Twitter

Hours behind as usual, this tweet jumped out at me. We tend to forget that there is a whole other family who could have built a relationship with this baby. It really hits home, seeing the reference to "baby Annabelle's paternal grandmother" who had no idea this baby even existed until after she was born and died.

I think the jury got it right. State did not prove homicide beyond a reasonable doubt. Whatever happened the unborn child did not stand a chance. That is the "crime" IMO.
I only got to watch about 80% of this trial, but I thought the investigators who questioned Skylar sucked big time. I think they might have had a better chance of involuntary manslaughter if they had asked more questions about did she make any attempt to do cpr on the baby, did she attempt to clear the baby's face and nose, did she try to "slap" the baby on the back to get it breathing? Ask why, once she realized she was in labor, she didn't do at least a cursory internet search about what a home delivery would be like and what she would need to do if she didn't intend to go to the hospital or get help from her parents. They should have emphasized more of the options she could easily have availed herself of, even if she wasn't going to the hospital or getting help from her family, if she expected to deliver a live baby.

I'm neither happy nor disappointed with the verdict. I've gone back and forth on this one. (Though I have to say I was pretty turned off on how vehemently so many seemed to be convinced she was guilty.) I hope justice was indeed served in this case though.

And I hope BSR can get some help. She clearly needs it. :/

Something I missed that was mentioned in the closing was something about Skylar's mom taking a message from the OB/GYN office and asking Skylar if she was pregnant. Can anyone give me some quick background on what that was about and did they say what the clinic said to mom that made her suspect pregnancy? Thanks.

Its a slippery slope. I wavered. I think she INTENTIONALLY acted to make sure she didn't have a 'live' baby. But where is the line drawn, I guess from this trial it is actually right at birth and the first breath (or gurgle???)

So if i'm 8 mo's pregnant and feel my baby kicking, and then intentionally starve myself, take laxatives and do anything i can to make sure i have a stillbirth, is that murder? manslaughter? or just MY BODY, MY CHOICE? The line is blurred IMO.

Brooke Richardson trial: Reaction to verdicts in Carlisle case

He was also critical of some media coverage of the case.

“I’d love to sue a few of the national media outlets that said that she bashed her baby’s skull in and all that other stuff,” Charles H. Rittgers said. “I think it was that Nancy Grace show or whatever. It was a week before trial. That was crazy.”

The attorneys were asked what will happen with Richardson moving forward.

“She has worked in our office since this came up, and hopefully she’ll be able to go to college,” Charles H. Rittgers said.

She started classes and completed one semester at Sinclair Community College, Charles H. Rittgers said.

Maybe they had trouble finding non-white individuals over 30 who had themselves not had a miscarriage or stillbirth, or had one happen to a partner?
Were jurors really asked those questions?
A family law statute governs living kids and that's what you cited (the first cite has nothing to do with this case or the remains). It has nothing to do with what happens to a body and who gets the remains. Which is why the authorities in this case states there may be a fight over the remains.

It is an Ohio Statute giving all custodial rights to the unmarried mother. Ohio Statute covers fetal remains. No mention of a father in this statute, either. The DA apparently isn't familiar with his own state's laws.
JMO

759.49 Rules governing product of fetal death.

(A) As used in this section and section 759.491 of the Revised Code, "fetal death" has the same meaning as in section 3705.01 of the Revised Code.

(B) The legislative authority of a municipal corporation owning a public burial ground or cemetery, whether within or without the municipal corporation, may pass and provide for the enforcement of ordinances for the burial, re-interment, or disinterment of the product of a fetal death in that public burial ground or cemetery.

(C) With regard to the product of a fetal death, on the request of the mother and in compliance with the public burial ground or cemetery's ordinances, a public burial ground or cemetery shall inter the product of the fetal death in accordance with one of the following:

(1) In a single grave within the public burial ground or cemetery that contains, or will contain, the remains of a parent, sibling, or grandparent;

(2) In another location of the public burial ground or cemetery, including a separate burial ground for infants, on a temporary or permanent basis.

Effective Date: 2008 SB175 09-12-2008 .

Lawriter - ORC - 759.49 Rules governing product of fetal death.

I only got to watch about 80% of this trial, but I thought the investigators who questioned Skylar sucked big time. I think they might have had a better chance of involuntary manslaughter if they had asked more questions about did she make any attempt to do cpr on the baby, did she attempt to clear the baby's face and nose, did she try to "slap" the baby on the back to get it breathing? Ask why, once she realized she was in labor, she didn't do at least a cursory internet search about what a home delivery would be like and what she would need to do if she didn't intend to go to the hospital or get help from her parents. They should have emphasized more of the options she could easily have availed herself of, even if she wasn't going to the hospital or getting help from her family, if she expected to deliver a live baby.
It's not a crime to have a stillborn baby. The state can't charge someone with manslaughter if they go into labor at home and don't, as you say, do a cursory Internet search about what to do etc. The state can't criminally punish a woman for not delivering a live baby.

IMO the prosecution in this case wanted to punish BSR criminally for many things that are not actually crimes. For not behaving a certain way (the whole 'what kind of a mother wouldn't scream, ask for help, buy diapers, x,y,z). For not wanting a baby. All things which weren't elements of the crimes charged, with the exception of the charge she was convicted on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member