AUSTRALIA - Devora Howard, 56, found dead near boat ramp, Terrigal Haven, Sept 2019

Strangeworld

Reaction score
Woman’s body discovered in waters near Terrigal Boat Ramp

A woman walking her dog this morning was later found dead by fishermen near a boat ramp. Cops are now treating the death as suspicious.

Fishermen found the body of Devora Howard, 56, who also goes by the name of Devora Cooke, off the coast of Terrigal Haven at about 7.10am.

Her pet Doberman, “Harvey”, — who she walked along the Terrigal shore each morning — was found wandering by himself about 6.30am.

The woman who found the dog, took him to Ms Howard’s mother’s home and the concerned parent called the police not long after.

Ms Howard, a passionate animal lover, had separated from husband Peter Howard. The pair were married in a stylish Port Douglas ceremony in 2016.

The Express Advocate reports that a second crime scene was established at her house in Pacific St, Wamberal and police have also attended a second Pacific St address to speak with a man, whom police believe she was romantically involved with.

There is no suggestion he or Ms Howard’s husband are involved in Ms Howard’s death.

06c72e4210da57af589822149ad13825

Her story came across my Doberman pages as she was a Doberman lover.
Police puzzled by woman’s boat ramp death

. Police have also been left scratching their head, closing down much of the beach yesterday and “combing the sand” for any clues after Ms Howard was found — wearing only white jeans and a bra — floating 150m north of Terrigal Haven boat ramp yesterday morning.

. Detectives will continue to investigate Ms Howard’s death today, confirming police were treating it as “suspicious” after she was found with marks around her neck.

Was someone trying to make it look like a sexual assault? Who would assault a woman with a doberman?
Someone who knows her and her dog. I have a Doberman, she is intimidating to strangers but she’s a big love as long as I’m comfortable with someone. If someone makes me uncomfortable, she senses it and will growl and raise her hair up. I don’t think she went for a swim in white jeans and a bra and I don’t think she committed suicide either, not with her beloved dog with her.
All IMO.

Someone who knows her and her dog. I have a Doberman, she is intimidating to strangers but she’s a big love as long as I’m comfortable with someone. If someone makes me uncomfortable, she senses it and will growl and raise her hair up. I don’t think she went for a swim in white jeans and a bra and I don’t think she committed suicide either, not with her beloved dog with her.
All IMO.

I have always assumed that women who get a Doberman do so for protection. Do you think that there is any truth to that stereotype? I wonder if Ms Howard was fearful of being attacked.

I have always assumed that women who get a Doberman do so for protection. Do you think that there is any truth to that stereotype? I wonder if Ms Howard was fearful of being attacked.
Not necessarily, I feel in love with the breed at an acquaintance’s house. He had a party and had his Doberman out socializing with everyone. Took me 6 months of looking but I found my girl in the shelter as a 3 month old puppy. I know lots of women through volunteering with the rescues that just love the breed, they can be big sweet goofballs.

I do appreciate that strangers tend to give me a wide berth when I’m hiking with her but I wouldn’t rely on her for my sole protection.

I had another possible scenario, if her dog had gone into the water for some reason and started having troubles and she went in after him. I may put common sense aside in that situation. I wonder if her marks are scratches from her dog panicking. Unlikely but a thought I had.
iMO only, as always.

Her Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/devora.cooke3

Was trying to get an idea how well her dog was socialized, a balanced dog gets lots of social interaction and wouldn’t necessarily be as reactive to strangers. The stranger wouldn’t know that of course, which lends to someone who knew her. Another theory is Could have been crime of opportunity; someone could have seen her walking on the beach, asked about the dog, she let him/her know the dog was friendly and that was enough. Just a thought, opinion only.

Wonder if all her jewelry was found on her? Looks like she wears a small possibly diamond necklace routinely and a few rings. Few picture of what could be basic diamond stud earrings for her everyday attire. I’m not good with watches based on looks although she’s sporting a Tag Heuer hat in a pic. Robbery gone wrong?

Great insights Tbone, thank you for sharing :)
IMO it would take a gutsy stranger to risk coming between her and her dog. I feel like the quietness is telling, but could be completely wrong. Marks on her neck would be pretty telling if it was a sign of strangulation instead of say her dog's claws or debris in the water.
I'm just puzzled, when a female is found dead in such circumstances, there is often concern in the local community, are other women safe, maybe there is more buzz that we aren't seeing in the media.

Does point to that doesn't it. I just can't see her taking her own life and leaving her dog to roam around while she enters the ocean. Why not leave him at home?

If she had left home at her normal time of 6:30 a.m. and was found dead in the water at 7:10 a.m. wouldn't the dog still be at the water where she went in, not wandering the beach like he didn't know where she was? Dobbies are incredibly loyal dogs.

And wouldn't the fishermen have seen something odd happening while they were gearing up and heading out during the time between 6:30 and 7:10?

It makes me think that perhaps she was carried away from the dog earlier that morning and dumped in the water. What time is dawn?

She didn't leave a suicide note, or there wouldn't have been remarks made by the police that her death was suspicious. (jmo about there being no note).

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renenoelle