GUILTY OH - Annabelle Richardson, newborn, found in grave , 7 May 2017 *GUILTY OF ABUSE OF CORPSE ONLY* *resentencing 2022* #4

I disagree with those of you who are saying BSR is likely re-offend, kill again, or make another appearance on WS for another crime. I'm interested if anyone has any relative statistics on women who commit neonaticide, but I think she is only really a danger to her own offspring. Maybe only offspring conceived while living in her parents' house as a minor.

Does she still need a ton of help to guide her through doing a massive amount of emotional work to have a chance at being a functional, contributing member of society with healthy relationships who is able to take care of herself? Yes. But I don't think she's headed for a life of murder or even crime.

Let's be clear on something - the district attorney or its equivalent is indeed a political position. They don't make stupid choices to overcharge. That is not a smart political decision.

And yes I think you do have to be an attorney to have an opinion as to whether the code of ethics is violated by a certain action taken by an attorney. Or you have to be a legal ethics expert of some sort. This is a legal ethics issue. Not general ethics.

The state felt they had a chance at a murder conviction. I wouldn't have agreed based on the trends in such cases, the societal desire not to punish such people and the lack of more evidence that enables convictions in such cases like a fresh corpse with COD.

But I don't think he was stupid or violated the code of ethics in doing so.

BBM. Of course it isn't smart. Doesn't mean he did not do it. IMO he made a stupid choice. It has happened before. And I am clear on it and don't need a lecture.

Last edited:
I don't know. No one can know. Maybe she would have hung up on him. Maybe his asking would have pierced through her denials to herself that she was pregnant.

My point is I have a problem with holding only one partner responsible for an unintended pregnancy and the consequences when it took bad choices by two.

They went out very briefly and then she started seeing someone else - there's no evidence on either side that she tried to let him know she was pregnant, and he couldn't just stalk her for 9 months to monitor whether she had conceived his child. Basically she deprived him of the right to act responsibly by denying him the knowledge of the pregnancy. We don't know how he would have acted.
It strikes me that this has put a huge burden on the Johnson family - as you said, there are two parents responsible for this unexpected baby, and now the baby is dead. I would guess Trey and his parents have faced a lot of negativity from their community, because a baby who could have been loved and wanted died in secret. Maybe this is why Mrs Johnson's victim impact statement comes across as "off". She's defending herself against shadowy accusations that her family abandoned this child, that there was something they could have done to protect her. She might still have a long way to go before she's processed all her grief and guilt and anger. How do you grieve for a child you've never known?

This interview is well worth watching, perhaps especially for those who believe the State overcharged Skylar, and/or that aspects of the State's case were unethical.

He is asked repeatedly why the State didn't "hit the reset button" after the charred bones expert opinion was retracted. Why the State didn't at least withdraw the intentional murder charge, why they persisted with the accusation at trial Skylar burned her baby, rather than admitting she falsely confessed to that.

(And, I totally disagree one has to be an attorney to have an informed opinion about the State's ethics. In any case, given the huge differences between the practices of civil and criminal law, an attorney simply by virtue of being an attorney does not an expert in all areas of law make.

For example, I don't know any civil attorneys, including my DH, who would feel comfortable asserting they are familiar with very many aspects of criminal law, prosecutions, and trials at all, much less singularly qualified as experts.

Last, and definitely not least. It's our legal system, our lives the State has the power to disrupt or destroy, and imo it's very much our responsibility to hold the State accountable if we believe the State has abused that power.

The State had to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the baby was born alive. They couldn't. They couldn't because they had no evidence other than a problematic confession by Skylar, and because the defense's experts provided reasonable doubt galore with evidence that Skylar's eating disorders more likely than not led to her baby being stillborn.

Not guilty verdict does not mean innocent. Means the jurors couldn't eliminate reasonable doubt about guilt.

<modsnip: no link to information stated as fact>

BSR reported no menstrual abnormalities when asked by her obgyn. And nothing about going without period for a year.

I also believe BSR was probably her healthiest at conception to delivery May 7, 2017.

This is evident in her own recorded weight: April 26, 2017 by the Obgyn at about 149 pounds.

If a healthy weight for BSR is 115-120 pounds, that would have put her in the category of 29-34 pound pregnancy gain.

I think BSR delivered a big, full term, healthy girl, and assuming BSR had a stillborn simply because her history with ED ignores so many facts known about this case.

MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree with those of you who are saying BSR is likely re-offend, kill again, or make another appearance on WS for another crime. I'm interested if anyone has any relative statistics on women who commit neonaticide, but I think she is only really a danger to her own offspring. Maybe only offspring conceived while living in her parents' house as a minor.

Does she still need a ton of help to guide her through doing a massive amount of emotional work to have a chance at being a functional, contributing member of society with healthy relationships who is able to take care of herself? Yes. But I don't think she's headed for a life of murder or even crime.

I agree. And will add, without proper treatment she may be a danger to herself.

Agree. You don't have to be an attorney to have an opinion on the ethics of the State's actions. IMO it was overcharged. I wonder if the State felt community pressure to charge SR with the max which IMO is a political motive.

Very true. If the motive was political, it certainly backfired. The prosecutor intentionally over-charged and sensationalized this case in order to try to convict BSR in the court of public opinion and it didn't work. That tactic should be illegal. Reporters interviewing the defense attorneys were surprised to learn it isn't illegal. When Skylar told LE that she lit the baby's foot on fire with a lighter and flames were shooting up to her body, common sense should have kicked in because her description was impossible. I'm betting voters in the community will agree with the jury and vote him out of office. Some women's advocacy groups, including female lawyers filed briefs in this case so I doubt we've heard the last of it.

JMO

Groups supporting Richardson's appeal:
The Ohio Now Education and Legal Fund; National Advocates for Pregnant Women; Sia Legal Team; National Perinatal Association; Center for Reproductive Rights; National Association of Perinatal Social Workers

Appeal in Brooke Skylar Richardson case: Decision could have chilling effect on pregnant women

Not guilty verdict does not mean innocent. Means the jurors couldn't eliminate reasonable doubt about guilt.

<modsnip: no link to information stated as fact>

BSR reported no menstrual abnormalities when asked by her obgyn. And nothing about going without period for a year.

I also believe BSR was probably her healthiest at conception to delivery May 7, 2017.

This is evident in her own recorded weight: April 26, 2017 by the Obgyn at about 149 pounds.

If a healthy weight for BSR is 115-120 pounds, that would have put her in the category of 29-34 pound pregnancy gain.

I think BSR delivered a big, full term, healthy girl, and assuming BSR had a stillborn simply because her history with ED ignores so many facts known about this case.

MOO

You and I disagree on whether or not the baby was stillborn, and never the twain shall meet. I have no interest in wading back through the details of fundal height and measuring tapes and blood test results and Skylar's weight gains and losses.

My point was about what the JURY believed, and the basis they had for deciding, very quickly, that the State didn't prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Skylar's baby was born alive. Whether or not you believed the expert testimony by defense DR's, it seems pretty clear to me their testimony mattered to the jury.

<modsnip: quoted post was modsnipped>

Birth Outcomes in Women with Eating Disorders in the Norwegian Mother and Child Cohort Study (MoBa)
Studies based on both clinical and community samples reveal substantial adverse effects of some eating disorders on the pregnant woman and her unborn child.111 Higher rates of miscarriages1, 2 have been noted in both women with anorexia nervosa (AN)3 and bulimia nervosa (BN)9 and higher rates of cesarean section deliveries have been noted in AN.1, 2 Infants of women with eating disorders have been reported to have greater likelihood of stillbirth, low birth weight, low Apgar scores, breech presentation, and cleft lip and palate.410

It's a fact that many women with ED give birth to healthy babies. Happens everyday.

MOO

<modsnip: removed duplicate quote>

I don't think so either. She does need lots of mental health care. This has entire situation has probably been a rude awakening for her and her family. I pray they get the help they need.

This is clearly a hot button case in the community in the media and in here. IMO it's in big part because it tangentially at least touches or alludes to an issue that is very polarizing and is often prefixed pro or anti. I think the elected DA grandstanded because of this ever since the start of the case.

And after today I think the elected Judge Oda also grandstanded too--big time. The defendant was convicted of the one charge --but Oda rather flatly made known that he thinks somehow she made the baby dead and he rebukes her for that. She wasn't convicted of nor being sentenced on that, but he really wanted to make his position clear. I notice he also hurried to explain why she was out on bond for years and IMO it all had the ring of assuring the community that he the judge wasn't a lightweight on this case.

I am NOT saying it's unethical or surprising. It's the way elected officials across the spectrum function, they posture and perform and make points. But I don't think the acquittal on all the major charges will hurt the DA or judge with their constituency or honestly their donors. IMO it will be a 'well at least he tried' situation.

Birth Outcomes in Women with Eating Disorders in the Norwegian Mother and Child Cohort Study (MoBa)
Studies based on both clinical and community samples reveal substantial adverse effects of some eating disorders on the pregnant woman and her unborn child.111 Higher rates of miscarriages1, 2 have been noted in both women with anorexia nervosa (AN)3 and bulimia nervosa (BN)9 and higher rates of cesarean section deliveries have been noted in AN.1, 2 Infants of women with eating disorders have been reported to have greater likelihood of stillbirth, low birth weight, low Apgar scores, breech presentation, and cleft lip and palate.410

Well that's easy -- the medical expert was hired by the defense to promote ED birth complications to support their position! It doesn't follow that their expert would testify about other ED women with healthy babies! That's silly...

From your link:

BRS did not have miscarriage

She did not have cesarean

She did not have breech

Just the opposite -- she had full term baby delivered by the mother without complications.

Mom cleaned up, and went to baseball game to celebrate her boyfriends birthday.

Given her pregnancy weight at about 149 -- (estimate 29-34 pregnancy gain), she probably did not have a low birth weight baby either.

Good example of BSR (with ED) didn't present with the adverse stats provided above, and more evidence that women with ED can still have healthy babies.

MOO

Okay to liven it up some, Charlie H. Rittgers was in our wedding (best man) and a wonderful man. I love the man. His son is smart and way too handsome. We went our way and moved around in the AF, he stayed in OH. Didn't know he wasn't a prosecutor anymore. I'm not a fan of defense lawyers so it was fascinating watching the press conferences. I didn't follow the trial daily and only found out it was Charlie and his son on this case this week. I had read about Skylar when it hit the news.

I can't believe I love a defense lawyer. lol

Okay to liven it up some, Charlie H. Rittgers was in our wedding (best man) and a wonderful man. I love the man. His son is smart and way too handsome. Didn't know he wasn't a prosecutor anymore. I'm not a fan of defense lawyers so it was fascinating watching the press conferences. I didn't follow the trial daily and only found out it was Charlie and his son on this case this week. I had read about Skylar when it hit the news.

Was not expecting that!

Well that's easy -- the medical expert was hired by the defense to promote ED birth complications to support their position! It doesn't follow that their expert would testify about other ED women with healthy babies! That's silly...

From your link:

BRS did not have miscarriage

She did not have cesarean

She did not have breech

Just the opposite -- she had full term baby delivered by the mother without complications.

Mom cleaned up, and went to baseball game to celebrate her boyfriends birthday.

Given her pregnancy weight at about 149 -- (estimate 29-34 pregnancy gain), she probably did not have a low birth weight baby either.

Good example of BSR (with ED) didn't present with the adverse stats provided above, and more evidence that women with ED can still have healthy babies.

MOO
I couldn't agree more. I read in the transcripts that when asked if the baby seemed healthy, SR stated, "she was kind of big."

Okay to liven it up some, Charlie H. Rittgers was in our wedding (best man) and a wonderful man. I love the man. His son is smart and way too handsome. We went our way and moved around in the AF, he stayed in OH. Didn't know he wasn't a prosecutor anymore. I'm not a fan of defense lawyers so it was fascinating watching the press conferences. I didn't follow the trial daily and only found out it was Charlie and his son on this case this week. I had read about Skylar when it hit the news.

I hope your watched their presser after the verdict! Smart men. Good choice by the Richardson's.

But she did not have a miscarriage, or give birth to a stillborn, or a low-birth weight baby.
In fact the only description she offered of the baby during the interrogation was that it was a "big" baby.
I got the impression it came as a surprise to her that she was so big. Imo

I hope your watched their presser after the verdict! Smart men. Good choice by the Richardson's.

I did and wasn't disappointed like I've been with other gloating defense lawyers. He seemed like a prosecutor still. At least to me.

Charlie was very smart always, just a wonderful person to be around. He's gotten older, (we haven't lol) but seems like he has a different type defense team sort of. It's interesting but the first clue of ambulance chasing, I won't remember a thing about tonight. j/k

This interview is well worth watching, perhaps especially for those who believe the State overcharged Skylar, and/or that aspects of the State's case were unethical.

He is asked repeatedly why the State didn't "hit the reset button" after the charred bones expert opinion was retracted. Why the State didn't at least withdraw the intentional murder charge, why they persisted with the accusation at trial Skylar burned her baby, rather than admitting she falsely confessed to that.

(And, I totally disagree one has to be an attorney to have an informed opinion about the State's ethics. In any case, given the huge differences between the practices of civil and criminal law, an attorney simply by virtue of being an attorney does not an expert in all areas of law make.

For example, I don't know any civil attorneys, including my DH, who would feel comfortable asserting they are familiar with very many aspects of criminal law, prosecutions, and trials at all, much less singularly qualified as experts.

Last, and definitely not least. It's our legal system, our lives the State has the power to disrupt or destroy, and imo it's very much our responsibility to hold the State accountable if we believe the State has abused that power.
BBM. Well said! Journalists covering this case have been asking very pointed questions. The public's "right to know" is their ethical obligation.
This is clearly a hot button case in the community in the media and in here. IMO it's in big part because it tangentially at least touches or alludes to an issue that is very polarizing and is often prefixed pro or anti. I think the elected DA grandstanded because of this ever since the start of the case.

And after today I think the elected Judge Oda also grandstanded too--big time. The defendant was convicted of the one charge --but Oda rather flatly made known that he thinks somehow she made the baby dead and he rebukes her for that. She wasn't convicted of nor being sentenced on that, but he really wanted to make his position clear. I notice he also hurried to explain why she was out on bond for years and IMO it all had the ring of assuring the community that he the judge wasn't a lightweight on this case.

I am NOT saying it's unethical or surprising. It's the way elected officials across the spectrum function, they posture and perform and make points. But I don't think the acquittal on all the major charges will hurt the DA or judge with their constituency or honestly their donors. IMO it will be a 'well at least he tried' situation.

BBM. I think both did grandstand and attorneys have pointed it out repeatedly. According to Fornshell's bio on the Warren County website, the DA is really proud of his media appearances and brags about the "international and national attention." And the Judge's actions have been publicly criticized in this case long before it made it to trial.

JMO

David received the 2018 Prosecutor of the Year Award for the state of Ohio by the Ohio Prosecuting Attorney’s Association, and has prosecuted cases receiving international and national attention, including cases profiled by the BBC documentary series Life and Death Row, Good Morning America, Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, The Washington Post, The New York Times, The UK Daily Mail, and numerous other international and national publications. David also served as a legal consultant for a network television series crime drama.

https://www.warrencountyprosecutor.com/Geninfo/Bio.aspx

LEBANON, OH (FOX19) - Did a local judge illegally delete a defense attorney's memo about a high profile murder case from the court record?

Our media partner at the Cincinnati Enquirer thinks so. Their lawyer has asked an appeals court to order Warren County Common Pleas Court Judge Donald Oda, to put it back.

"Exercise of such power is unlawful...and in no way complies with Ohio (law) and is legally defective," wrote Jack Greiner in a motion filed last week.

Did judge illegally strike memo from court record in teen mom baby murder case?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back